Recovered/Located Emergency rescue effort is launched for teen sailor Abby Sunderland, June 2010

What could be submerged out in the middle of the ocean that the keel could hit such that it is knocked off?

A whale or a shark?

The way I'm looking at it is that the keel is X feet long and unless the purported submerged object is alive, I'd think it would have sunk and not be around for the keel to hit.

RC
Who knows *nothing* about sailing or boats or oceans

Lol :) There are quite a few things that you can hit out in the ocean believe it or not, it would be my opinion if the keel was knocked off it could just be from being slammed around in such heavy seas because of the type of keel it is .... Yes boat keel have come off from collisions with whales so it is possible too...

I am praying for her safe return. Could someone who remembers this please post and let me know: I thought I read an article about three weeks ago that someone about Abby's age had abandoned such a sail around the world. I thought it was her. Do I have a need to worry about Alzheimer's or does someone else remember this?

That was her. But she abandoned the nonstop and unassisted part b/c she had to stop for repairs in South Africa.

Lol :) There are quite a few things that you can hit out in the ocean believe it or not, it would be my opinion if the keel was knocked off it could just be from being slammed around in such heavy seas because of the type of keel it is .... Yes boat keel have come off from collisions with whales so it is possible too...

That makes sense. Thanks for responding to my question.

RC

I am so angry at her parents for letting her do this. In my opinion, 16 is too young to go at something like this alone. I am praying that she is found. It seems fame comes at any price these days. It makes me so sad.

YES! She's alive!!!! :woohoo:

I'm so glad she is okay! Um..what is rigging? lol

I think the ropes that hold the sails up....The statement is so quick, I don't know if it means that the sails are down which I think is normal in a storm, or if the mast itself is down

I'm so glad she is okay! Um..what is rigging? lol

The mast and wires ("stays") holding it up. She must've rolled the boat and become dismasted - the mast is either broken or completely off... Wow. Glad she's okay. AND, the keel didn't become detached, which was what I had feared...

I am so glad to read that she has been found! She still has a ways to go, given that the vessel sent her way won't be there for another day.

I have just flipped thru all the cable morning news shows and landed on one that was asking the parents bascially "what were you thinking by letting your 16 year old daughter do something like this.?"

The parents were very calm and answered their question without getting overly defensive, which to me demonstrates the character of parents that would allow and encourage a 16 year old to follow their dreams.

They said that during the entire time they had a link from Abby's beacons.
Abby had 'volumes' of experience dealing with catastrophes at sea. Had the mast not broken and knocked out her radar, the trip might not be over.
Their biggest clue that things would work out was that both beacons were still together.

I'm happy they found her, and I am happy she will be able to get home.

keep praying, she's not out of the woods yet.

YAY!

She's ok!

Another 24 hrs. Abby. Hang in there kiddo!

So glad they were able to contact her so she has some reassurance.

I have just flipped thru all the cable morning news shows and landed on one that was asking the parents bascially "what were you thinking by letting your 16 year old daughter do something like this.?"

The parents were very calm and answered their question without getting overly defensive, which to me demonstrates the character of parents that would allow and encourage a 16 year old to follow their dreams.

They said that during the entire time they had a link from Abby's beacons.
Abby had 'volumes' of experience dealing with catastrophes at sea. Had the mast not broken and knocked out her radar, the trip might not be over.
Their biggest clue that things would work out was that both beacons were still together.

I'm happy they found her, and I am happy she will be able to get home.

wait a sec ... her parents have already appeared on a cable news show?

really???

Age aside, my question is this: for a sailing family, why in the world did they let her go off in a boat that was not designed for this type of sailing? and why did they let her take a path that put her in the middle of the worst time of the year, for sailing through places like the Indian Ocean. To me, supporting your child in something like this is one thing, but it's a whole other irresponsible ball game to allow her to sail off in the wrong kind of boat at the worse time of the year to be on the sailing path she is on.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab
Back