Family wants to keep life support for girl brain dead after tonsil surgery #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
And she starved to death?

-----------
Hi Tulessa, she still had life in part of her brain stem. the brain stem regulates a lot. That is why she could be fed which kept her body alive. It's hard to explain. Sounds like her cortex was dead. I read book after book to even have an inkling of what was going on. Bless Jahis' heart. Take her Lord.

I agree, probably less than $5 million. Of course, after Dolan takes his share, it won't be the fabulous lottery forturne some family members seem to think.

Do they pay taxes on that settlement/award?

here's the IRS link to what's taxable and what isn't.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4345.pdf

Here's another link more specific to wrongful death

IRS Regulations
According to the IRS, any lawsuit settlement proceeds that a court awards for physical illness or injury are non-taxable. This includes wrongful death settlements, since the damages are imposed due to a court’s finding that a third party is responsible for the physical illness or injury that resulted in death. To qualify for this exception, the settlement must be compensatory, meaning that it must be a form of compensation for the pain and suffering caused in the case.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/pay-taxes-wrongful-death-lawsuit-settlement-31261.html

and another wrongful death link with more detail

http://budgeting.thenest.com/tax-implications-wrongful-death-settlement-29108.html

Respectfully, the Lord already took Jahi. Her earthly body is mechanically being pumped with oxygen/air in order to keep her heart beating. Nothing more.

What I honestly fail to understand is why NW would want to watch her daughter's earthly body suffer through the natural process of breaking down while artificially keeping her heart beating. I don't imagine that process is pretty to watch and I can't imagine wanting one's last images of one's own child enduring the process of breaking down as opposed to that beautiful smiling face. I fear for the day NW resents those who preyed upon her during this time. Allowing that to happen is something she will sadly have to live with the rest of her life, in addition to her daughters passing.

Not sure if this has been posted yet (or even if it is considered MSM!) BUT:
http://postnewsgroup.com/blog/2014/01/09/faith-confronts-economic-reality-fate-jahi-mcmath/

Here's the starting quote: "For many families of color who do not have deep pockets and friends and families in high places, interactions with police, the judicial system and even the hospitals are often problematic – even at their best." AND another " The family of Jahi did not accept the verdict of those who were responsible for their daughter’s condition and prays that with proper nutrition and time, she might possibly recover."

John Burris used this situation in a recent talk: his quotes "He said the family was not properly advised and that the hospital was probably “quick” to end Jahi’s life without working closely with the family." "The hospital’s position in essence, he said, is that, “You can have your religious belief, but you can’t make us pay for it." "

:twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents: Unfortunately, the dignity of Jahi :facepalm: is lost and interventional opportunities to HELP her family accept reality seem to be gone, the "outsiders" have step in to ramrod the show onto the public & cause dissension, emotional responses & ignore facts & scientific details :scared::scared:

Remember this good article?

Meghan Daum ‏@meghan_daum 17h
This week's column: The time for subtlety and "balance" in the #JahiMcMath saga is OVER.
http://www.latimes.com/opinion/comm...media-20140116,0,4738876.column#axzz2qZIfXkaw …

Uncle didn't like it:

Omari ‏@_iamOMARI 8h
@meghan_daum Your article was both insensitive & cruel. I pray you never experience what my family & I endured.

WOW! The author has responded to a twitter "slap"

the "slap": Shutdown Movement‏@ShutdownCentral2 hrs
@_iamOMARI @meghan_daum<-- Is paid to write that article. Sam Singer's PR machine regularly recruits reporters hungry for a paycheck. AND
the "response":
Meghan Daum&#8207;@meghan_daum13 mins
@ShutdownCentral Yes, I am paid to write my column. By The Los Angeles Times. #JahiMcMath

Okay, also have to admit I jumped in when I saw this tweet:"Brian Smith&#8207;@brian_sthecobra2h
@meghan_daum @_iamOMARI Retweeting this only shows family you needlessly insulted & dismissed nevertheless treats you with respect. "
with this response: "joypath&#8207;@joyofpathology1 hr
@brian_sthecobra @meghan_daum @_iamOMARI REALLY??? I believe she's continuing her EDUCATIONAL journalism to the public at large "

Now shutting up! Providing information HERE is so much "safer" :)

Omari &#8207;@_iamOMARI 2h
The same spirit that raised Christ from the dead dwells in me and that same Spirit quickens my mortal body right now Romans 8:11 #JahiMcMath

:rolleyes: Really? :waitasec: I hardly think Jahi is going to rise from the dead.

http://www.indystar.com/story/opinion/2014/01/16/honor-beliefs-in-end-of-life-decisions/4520157/

Honor beliefs in end-of-life decisions
David Orentlicher 1:38 p.m. EST January 16, 2014
New Jersey has it right. When people hold different and legitimate views about life and death, we should accommodate their views as much as possible. As the U.S. Supreme Court has observed, &#8220;at the heart of liberty is the right to define one's own concept of existence, of meaning, of the universe, and of the mystery of human life.&#8221; The distinction between life and death is a profoundly important distinction, but it is not always clear where the line between the two should be drawn. When we cannot be sure about matters of great importance to people, we should not impose a single approach on all.

In addition, there are important considerations of trust involved in cases like this. As McMath&#8216;s experience illustrates, patients put their lives in the hands of their doctors, and that can work only when patients and their families can trust that the medical profession puts the interests of patients first. If some people have to worry that death may be declared for themselves or their family members while still alive (in their view), trust will be greatly compromised.

He makes a good point but because death has some rather important legal consequences (e.g. in financial and criminal matters, inheritance etc.) it shouldn't be a fuzzy concept imo. Either you are dead or you aren't. It's not Schroedinger's cat.

If families decide who is dead and who isn't, it could lead to ugly situations when one person stands to benefit financially if grandpa is dead and another if he's still alive.

What if someone defines his existence and life and meaning so that he insists that he is dead before the doctors think so? Should the legal system honor that and cart him to the morgue?

I find what is being done to Jahi's body and memory absolutely deplorable.

Everyone that is using her for their agenda should be ashamed of themselves. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see nothing in any religious values, that would support purposeful deceit and misconception.

It is a small, very vocal minority, that is using Jahi and religion to spread these lies in hopes of furthering their agenda.

At this point though, it is what it is. It has gone past the point of return. I hope that those that have operated on her and are caring for her are able to observe how their actions have caused further harm.

The request for privacy, is understandable, due to the media frenzy and mentally unstable individuals. It was perfectly illustrated in what CHO had to endure for the weeks that Jahi's body was there. There are also other reasons for not wanting publicity. There could be legal and ethical repercussions for their actions. Licenses could be lost. The attention brought to them, could result in a furry of phone calls from others begging for the same that they provided to the family of Jahi.

I can only hope, that if they are actually able to observe this madness, it will enlighten at least some of them. I wonder what their thoughts are, in giving this special treatment to the family of Jiha and turning others away.

If at least some of them, can open their eyes from this, they will see that there are approximately 53,000 that die from brain death each year.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss6005a1.htm?s_cid=ss6005a1_w

Jahi's body, is just one of the thousands that would have to be maintained by their extraordinary measures. Are they ready to provide this to thousands of others?

They can waste their time, energy, money and efforts on a dead cause if they want. The majority of society is not going to entertain the beliefs of a small unstable minority. It's just not going to happen. Society is not going to throw out the advancements we have made and revert back to a bible scripture, or any other one of the arguments that this small minority is proposing to justify these actions.

http://ffrf.org/uploads/legal/oakland.pdf

http://www.secularnewsdaily.com/201...paign=Feed:+paliban/RDkF+(Secular+News+Daily)

The Freedom From Religion Foundation has contacted the Office of the General Counsel of Oakland Unified School District in the wake of complaints it received over the proselytizing nature of a recent assembly at E.C. Reems Academy, Oakland, Calif., intended to honor Jahi McMath.

FFRF, a Madison, Wis.-based state/church watchdog, has nearly 20,000 nonreligious members nationwide and about 3,100 in California.
FFRF dismissed any argument that the assembly was voluntary. It involved young children, and students shouldn't have to excuse themselves from an assembly to honor a classmate in order to avoid inappropriate religious content.

"The school is inflicting trauma upon tragedy by suggesting that it's within the power of Jahi's classmates to resuscitate her," FFRF charged.

"It's unscientific, unethical and irresponsible to suggest to a captive audience of impressionable, grieving students that wishful thinking can suspend natural laws, and even raise the dead."

:twocents::twocents::twocents::twocents: WOW! and to which I say, "AMEN" using this definition: " Common English translations of the word amen include "verily" and "truly". It can also be used colloquially to express strong agreement,[2] as in, for instance, amen to that.[4] " so I don't upset the FFRF group! :please::please:

PS: the link is Amen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :loveyou::seeya:

The same spirit that raised Christ from the dead dwells in me and that same Spirit quickens my mortal body right now Romans 8:11 #JahiMcMath

:rolleyes: Really? :waitasec: I hardly think Jahi is going to rise from the dead.

I can't. I just can't.

I wish I drank.

Good for them. I am still wondering where the outrage from parents is? :waitasec: I cannot believe that all the parents of that school were "ok" with what was done. I know I would be having a fit! :bigfight:

:cow: I think there might be a significant amount of social pressure that could keep many parents quiet. On certain Facebook pages you're a cruel and insensitive heathen if you dare to say that dead people don't generally wake up just because you praise the Lord and believe that the miracle is already done, and that liquid vitamins under the tongue have not been shown effective in fixing irreversibly damaged brains. I imagine there might be more pressure in Jahi's school where most of them know Jahi's siblings and parents and I'm sure nobody wants to be seen as unsupportive of the grieving family.

Donjeta, thank you too for bringing all these articles and links for us to read. You have really helped us stay current and informed.

Remember back in December when Jahi's mom said this in a newspaper article:

".... she would blush. She is very shy."

And now all these very personal things about her have been published to the world, her dignity has been taken from her, and it's going to get worse.

I can't even put my thoughts into words. She was just a young teenage girl. I believe if Jahi knew about what's going on, she would be horrified, embarrassed, humiliated. How can someone who loves her do this to her?

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking...d-emotional-letter-from-jahi-mcmaths-mom-keep

I feel exactly the same.

Yes, you have. You can read the declarations of the medical professionals who have examined her and testified that she is brain dead and will not improve.

bumping

:tyou::gthanks:

-----------
Hi Tulessa, she still had life in part of her brain stem. the brain stem regulates a lot. That is why she could be fed which kept her body alive. It's hard to explain. Sounds like her cortex was dead. I read book after book to even have an inkling of what was going on. Bless Jahis' heart. Take her Lord.

b b m
:seeya: I understand exactly what you're saying.

No, I kind of interpret this differently, lol!

Uncle OS is verifying that he, himself, is alive. It doesn't surprise me that he feels the need to tweet to the masses that he is alive. ALIVE!

Maybe OS discovered that he himself has risen from the dead? And he is very excited about this discovery, and wants to tell everyone? (insert tongue in cheek emoticon)

He said that? :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member