GUILTY FL - Calyx, 16, & Beau Schenecker, 13, shot to death, Tampa, 27 Jan 2011 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Counseling offered after teen siblings found dead
http://www.baynews9.com/article/new...s-found-dead,-accused-mom-remains-in-hospital
TAMPA --
A psychologist offered grief counseling to anyone in need at the Tampa Palms clubhouse Saturday after police say a mother killed her two children in the neighborhood the day before.
Tampa police responded to the Schenecker family home just before 8 a.m. on Friday and found the mother, Julie, covered in blood on the back patio and her two teenagers inside shot to death.
Calyx, 16, and Beau, 13, were pronounced dead at the scene.
Detectives said Julie Schenecker admitted to the crime in detail to them. They also found a note they say was written by her describing her plan to kill her children and then herself.
Schenecker's mother, who lives in Texas, had called police, worried on Friday morning, because she had just received an email from her that she described as 'depressing.'
Friday night classmates, friends, and neighbors of Calyx and Beau organized a vigil outside the gated community where they were killed.
The next day, close friends of the teens, like Bailey Johnson, sought counseling at the neighborhood clubhouse.
"As soon as I found out, I just started sobbing because he was like my little brother," she said. "It's really sad because he was such a good person and didn't deserve this at all and neither did his sister. I met her once and she was really sweet, too."
Because students won't return to school until Monday, psychologist Dr. Tsila Kirsh wanted to make sure help was available right away.
"After a traumatic event, it's crucial to do immediate debriefing, to minimize long-term psychological effects," she said.
Police said Schenecker confessed to killing her children, saying she was tired of them talking back to her.
Kirsh said she wants parents with similar feelings to seek help immediately.
"Please, please, please, if you are experiencing an elevated stress reaction from parenting a teen, seek support," she said. "I cannot emphasize the importance of support."
Kirsh said if children recognize their parents may be having trouble, they too should confide in a teacher or school counselor.
According to Kirsh, social support among friends, families, and at school will be crucial in the coming days. She also plans to make another counseling session available soon.
Schenecker was booked into the Orient Road Jail Friday and charged with two counts of first-degree murder. However, she was transported to the hospital late that night for what officials are calling a 'pre-existing' condition.
As soon as she is cleared, she will be taken back to jail and head to court. No timeframe has been provided for when that may be.

I dont think people like this mom realize that there are so many more victims that they have caused beyond the inital victims. The friends,family, neighbors, students from these children's schools. Many will be affected for sometime by this horrid act. Im glad that there is some sort of counseling being offered. Kuddos to this counseler for offering their services.

One of the articles stated that Julie was in the ICU for a pre existing condition. Any clues why? I've never heard of a mental illness landing someone in ICU.

One of the articles stated that Julie was in the ICU for a pre existing condition. Any clues why? I've never heard of a mental illness landing someone in ICU.

They're not saying, could be anything from asthma to diabetes or something I would think.

She was in a serious car wreck about a month ago, iirc. If this was a failed suicide attempt, jmo, then depression was there. If this car accident was just that, there could of been some sort of brain damage or prescribed medications that totally altered her brain chemistry, causing insanity. Idk...but I haven't ever seen somebody so visibly overly medicated and/or deranged. What was the purpose of the public display of her? I hope it was for some understanding of her condition.

I think it might be. I keep watching that video. The officers seem very gentle with her.

Another thought I had is that Julie also appears like people I've known who have had strokes or recovering from a brain injury. And then I think about the times I've had bad reactions to medication. Joints lock up, jaw locks up, mouth and face feel weird. Even my voice changed to where I sounded like daffy duck.

And even with all my thoughts, Julie premeditated this crime for quite awhile beforehand. Hard to beat that in court.

She looked like a stroke victim, during the walk.

Parker Schenecker met Julie Powers in Munich, Germany, where they were both stationed in the late '80s and early '90s.
She worked as a Russian linguist for the Army, collecting intelligence for European agencies by interviewing refugees coming from the Eastern Bloc, said Tim Fredrikson, who served with her.
He was a rising intelligence officer who had graduated *advertiser censored* laude with a French degree from Washington and Lee University in Virginia, where the school yearbook is named the "Calyx."

In Munich, Julie organized and coached a volleyball team of officers, said K.C. Dreller, another intelligence officer who worked with her.
"She was super good at it," said Dreller, 49. "I imagine she was super good at everything she did. Anybody that was in that field was a Type A personality."
The couple married and had two children, Calyx in Germany and Powers, who went by "Beau," in Honolulu.
The military family moved a lot, and Parker Schenecker studied at several military schools, including the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College and the U.S. Army War College, according to a 2010 bulletin on distinguished alumni, published on his high school's website.
The newsletter also said he became a colonel in 2006 and was mainly responsible for the National Security Agency's support to military operations.
About three years ago the family landed in Tampa.
Parker is assigned to U.S. Central Command's intelligence directorate and has worked for CentCom for more than two years, said Lt. Col. Mike Lawhorn, a spokesman. He was on a temporary duty assignment overseas the past few days.
Julie Schenecker, no longer in the Army, stayed home with their children. She took shifts driving in the neighborhood's King High School car pool and often referred to the struggles of parenting in seemingly light-hearted Facebook posts.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/public...astating-double-homicide-in-new-tampa/1148176

With all the Security she had and previous life .. I am really believing that medication and some type of brain related injury had to influence this behavior. ..

well, I keep going back to the car accident too because she was charged with careless driving ... makes me wonder if that was a failed suicide attempt, or if she was under the influence of prescribed drugs ...

she looks wacked out in that video but I noticed she still had the presence of mind to ask which car to get into

Because she has a Type A personality, and with the type of life that she had, I would imagine that she wants everyone, including her kids to do what she wants, when she wants, no ifs, ands, or buts. We ALL know that kids will push our buttons, and we have to pick our battles. She would not be able to accept that from her kids. She reminds me of the "professional" women that I always felt should not have any children, but they do because of- society, parents, husband, etc. They are able to play the mommy game for just so long, and then they burst.

Im sure that her husband never saw this coming. If he had, he could have arranged to stay in the states close to her. Or, the grandmother could have come to stay with them while he was away.

I wonder if she "whacked" out AFTER the killings?
She seemed to be planning and premeditating all of this with a clear head.
Maybe when the realization she actually did it set in,she just lost it?
Tried to overdose on meds maybe?

With all of her training, all of the background checks and deep inspection of her life...I don't think she's always been this way.

Since it seems she was at fault in that accident, I wonder, if not a closed head injury...guilt? People join the NSA, I would imagine, for the same reason that people join lower levels of law enforcement, to help and do good. Here, she may have felt that she had done something terrible already, by causing that accident or felt that her reputation was tarnished by it. That could have been the breaking point for some other pre-existing, but well-controlled mental disorder or it could have been a trigger for drug or alcohol abuse.

I wish we knew more about the accident and injuries to other parties, as well as the true cause...
I also wish I could be angry, since that would be my usual reaction, but I'm just deeply saddened. Seems that if this could happen to this family, it could happen to any of us.

ETA: Facebook memorial page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/RIP-Beau-Calyx-Schenecker/126441334092237
Almost 5500 likes, seems this has touched a lot of people.

one of my parents is now in a nursing home and there are people that look just like this wandering all over and some of them are aggressive, argumentative & combative(various forms of dementia) to the other patients and staff...moo - fwiw... i dont think this lady just recently arrived to this state of mind and i sort of wonder if her mental status was swept under the rug just like her car accident.

I wonder if she "whacked" out AFTER the killings?
She seemed to be planning and premeditating all of this with a clear head.
Maybe when the realization she actually did it set in,she just lost it?
Tried to overdose on meds maybe?

Thats what a believe. staying in the house with your children's bodies, and thinkiing all night, OS! I F'd up. Yeah I could see it. Of course someone has to be mentally not right to use premeditation and go buy a gun to shoot your own children. But it was not temporary insanity IMO, and she knew right from wrong Im pretty confident.

Yeah, it looks like she's trying to eat her own tongue. Weird!

This actually reminds me of the Coppell, TX mayor who shot her teenage daughter.

That stereotypical movemets of her mouth (tongue chewing)looks like tardive dyskinesia. News reorts have also reported "uncontrollable shaking."

She's in the ICU, according to ABC news this morning.

Here is an medicine overview of tardive dyskinesia and the similar, but acute syndromes that are associated with treatment with certain kinds of drugs.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1151826-overview

To me it seems more likely that her symptoms are an acute reaction. Akathisia, the tongue rolling... Maybe she DID have a head injury....

Sarah W,

Thank you so much for giving us some terms to look up and read about. I agree, having now read (on Wikipedia) about tardive dyskinesia and neuroleptics, that Julia could well have been reacting to a medication. It seems to be the only thing that makes sense in this situation.

Pre existing medical condition...
Behavior out of character...
Currently in ICU...
Violent behavior that was unprovoked...
Swift personality change...

Brain tumor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online