GUILTY FL - Carlie Brucia, 11, Sarasota, 1 February 2004

Solo! oh my gosh, what a story.... how did LE get your phone number.. ??please fill us in.

Cases like this make you think that maybe sometimes rubber hoses would be a good thing.

The Jerk refuses to tell where she is.

I think the poor girl is most likely already dead...but I hope and pray that she is not.

I don't know how these police can contain themselves. They must want to beat the Sh** out of this monster. Since they can't,why don't they put him in the jail amoungst the other prisoners and tell them what's going on. Maybe the other prisoners could torture it out of him.
I pray that Carlie is alive somewhere.

Joseph P. Smith acquitted of kidnapping in 1997Thursday, February 5th
Smith was acquitted in 1997.

The man police believe is a suspect in the Carlie Brucia kidnapping has been in trouble with the law before.

Joseph P. Smith has been convicted on several drug charges and an aggravated battery charge, and was acquitted of kidnapping charges.

In the 1997 kidnapping case, a woman in her 20s told police she was walking along Route 41 in Bradenton when a man approached her. She says he grabbed her and tried to pull her into a parking lot. The woman says she struggled with him and was only able to break free when a van full of people stopped to help.

C.J. Czaia, Smith's defense attorney in the kidnapping trial, says Smith was adamant about his innocence in 1997 and wouldn't accept a plea bargain. Czaia says Smith is unfairly stereotyped.
Smith used to work at this business.

"Joe has tattoos, is a mechanic-looking guy and has a New York accent," said Czaia. "But that doesn't make him a criminal. You must allow law enforcement to continue to check."

Assistant State Attorney Brian Iten was the prosecutor in the 1997 case. He says he was "surprised by the verdict."

Smith's defense was he was protecting the girl because he thought she was going to jump into traffic. Iten says the defense swayed the jury to believe Smith was falsely accused because of his tattoos and image.

I don't think this is looking good right now. If they'd had an AMBER alert out right away they may have found her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xxxxxo
mama

This was put on the computer an hour ago...........2:00 PST.
from Bay News 9 in Florida

xxxxxo
mama

Joseph P. Smith acquitted of kidnapping in 1997Thursday, February 5th

Smith was acquitted in 1997.

The man police believe is a suspect in the Carlie Brucia kidnapping has been in trouble with the law before.

Joseph P. Smith has been convicted on several drug charges and an aggravated battery charge, and was acquitted of kidnapping charges.

In the 1997 kidnapping case, a woman in her 20s told police she was walking along Route 41 in Bradenton when a man approached her. She says he grabbed her and tried to pull her into a parking lot. The woman says she struggled with him and was only able to break free when a van full of people stopped to help.

C.J. Czaia, Smith's defense attorney in the kidnapping trial, says Smith was adamant about his innocence in 1997 and wouldn't accept a plea bargain. Czaia says Smith is unfairly stereotyped.

"Joe has tattoos, is a mechanic-looking guy and has a New York accent," said Czaia. "But that doesn't make him a criminal. You must allow law enforcement to continue to check."

Assistant State Attorney Brian Iten was the prosecutor in the 1997 case. He says he was "surprised by the verdict."

Smith's defense was he was protecting the girl because he thought she was going to jump into traffic. Iten says the defense swayed the jury to believe Smith was falsely accused because of his tattoos and image.

If this had been put on AMBER she would have had a chance. This isn't looking good!

SOLO - where exactly were you- where was this rest stop?

I'm here in Largo, about an hour north of Sarasota.

My God, what is going on in the world? I've been following this case since first seeing the video on the TV. I suspect he may have flashed a fake LE badge at her, saying something like, 'you've been tresspassing' and your parents are going to have to come down and get you', etc.
I'll bet he has a lawyer telling him to keep quiet, say nothing, give up nothing; they'll have to let you go eventually...open your mouth and you're doomed. They haven't found Dru Sjordin and now another.

As positive as I try to remain on this case, I don't see the young girl coming home safely. I only hope I'm soooooo wrong. Prayers to her and her family and friends, and to all others who might either be in this position or ever will be, God forbid.

Probably just told her that he was a mechanic and her mothers car had broke down and he was taking her to her mom. This guy probably new her name her moms etc. and most likely was familiar with the route she walked from her friends house.

I wonder if her parents had ever had there car repaired at the shop where he used to work?

Love_Mama said:
Joseph P. Smith acquitted of kidnapping in

I hope that jury sleeps lousily tonight!

Oh Solo, what a weight you must have in your heart and on your mind right now. I do feel for you. Fox news has been showing the video quite a bit yesterday and today so hopefully someone might have seen the car. It sounds similar to Dru Sjordin's disappearance - they unfortunately, must have uncovered something in his car to link him to her. Plus, they're asking people to keep a lookout for her pink knapsack-this does not look good, I fear.
The law it seems has to protect his rights and safety - but I feel if they found good evidence in his car that she was there, his rights should be put on hold until she is found. He is safe in jail, with food, medicine, and counsel -- Carlie is not at home, safe, with her family. Where are the rights of children?
:confused: :confused:

The law it seems has to protect his rights and safety - but I feel if they found good evidence in his car that she was there, his rights should be put on hold until she is found. He is safe in jail, with food, medicine, and counsel -- Carlie is not at home, safe, with her family. Where are the rights of children?

I agree. Hug-A- is what our country is heading towards.

Victims need rights!

poco said:
SOLO - where exactly were you- where was this rest stop?

I'm here in Largo, about an hour north of Sarasota.

The rest area on the northbound side of 275 just before the Skyway bridge. I don't know the # for it but it is actually between the toll plaza and the bridge.

River- that is beautiful! I am tired of our Hug-a- Justice System. I want laws written that if you commit a crime against a child you lose all of your rights, forever. Period.

Bean

Bean said:
River- that is beautiful! I am tired of our Hug-a- Justice System. I want laws written that if you commit a crime against a child you lose all of your rights, forever. Period.

Bean

I just watched the video several times and I can't believe that Carlie doesn't appear to put up any sort of fight...she just seems to willingly go with the creep.
:banghead:

Justalurker said:
I just watched the video several times and I can't believe that Carlie doesn't appear to put up any sort of fight...she just seems to willingly go with the creep.
:banghead:
To me she looked hesitant at the beginning, but then he said something to her. You have no idea what he told her. Most do gain their confidence.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back