GUILTY FL - Damien Kornegay, 16, fatally shot, Columbia County, 5 Jan 2015

It sounds to me like maybe these girls shouldn't be charged with anything except saving themselves.

Whatever the 11 year old did to 'help' her sister I find the concept of trying an 11 year old child as if they were an adult really disturbing.

Given some of the stuff coming out in the articles, I would hope that the seemingly awful home situation will allow some humanity and common sense into the legal process.

Those parents have an awful lot of explaining to do.

yeah, when I read dad's FB post of January 1 this year in light of what has now happened I just wanted to respond, and not nicely.

Dad's FB posts indicate possible marital issues, possible flirtation and depression. I wonder if mom took to going on his truck driving over the road job to keep an eye on things KWIM. Seems like all eyes were on self and problems and not on kids. Normal for these folks?

ETA um, anyone else notice dad got engaged per FB in December 2014? of course that means nothing, since sometimes when you add info to FB it tags it with the time/date added. But aren't mom and dad already married?

Dad's FB posts indicate possible marital issues, possible flirtation and depression. I wonder if mom took to going on his truck driving over the road job to keep an eye on things KWIM. Seems like all eyes were on self and problems and not on kids. Normal for these folks?

ETA um, anyone else notice dad got engaged per FB in December 2014? of course that means nothing, since sometimes when you add info to FB it tags it with the time/date added. But aren't mom and dad already married?

All those dynamics are super weird. Mom has SEVEN friends on Facebook: who has SEVEN friends? and no mention whatsoever of the kidlets, save a few pics of dad with what I assume is the 3 year old who is now in foster care. I know they are off limits, but does not look like the kids had FB accounts, or at least they were not linked to their parents. Again, bizarro.

Police say a 15-year-old girl held in the killing of her 16-year-old brother has accused her family of years of physical and sexual abuse.
Police documents released Wednesday said the girl's uncle was convicted of molesting her in 2010. They also say the children's mother discovered the siblings having sex.
MK, 15, said her 11-year-old sister let her out when the brother went to sleep and the older girl retrieved their parents’ gun, according to police. After the brother was shot, the pair took off from the home, authorities in Florida said Wednesday.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-teen-sibling-shooting-20150107-story.html

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/...ed-brothers-death-told-police-he-beat-her-day

and now all the hidden ugly begins to come out. I guess all my heavy edits on page one to my speculative post were not necessary after all. Somehow I had the story before the story was out.

I hope the courts will deal fairly with these sisters and come down hard on these parents. IMO if the sisters are telling the truth, and I have no reason to believe they aren't, they were stuck in a household from hell with their oldest brother as their keeper meting out discipline while mommy tagged along after daddy over the road, because, well as mommy said on her FB page, it's complicated.

Very angry right now because I knew. Knew from the moment Okie posted the first link on this story it was going here. I want these parents in a room alone for a stretch. Sorry but this is just such a preventable mess. Life should not have been what it seems to have been in this house. Particularly for A. :cow:

Sounds like brother learned from the parents to lock the girl up in the room. Where exactly was CPS?

The girls' mother told police that they often locked the 15-year-old girl up when she misbehaved. The longest they kept her locked in her room was 20 consecutive days, the father told police.

In the girl's room, police found only a blanket and a bucket filled with urine in the closet.

"It was learned that (the 15-year-old girl) has made past attempts at ending her life but neither law enforcement nor (emergency management services) was notified," police wrote in their report.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/07/abuse-florida-teen-kills-brother_n_6433258.html

from Yoda's link :( my heart hurts for this girl. I can imagine that a child who is molested by a trusted uncle at 10 or 11 could be a bit confused by that, especially if not gotten help in processing and dealing with those feelings. It is not uncommon for children who've been sexually abused to then act out with other children :( Sounds like DCF didn't do much outside of investigate that claim by mom about A and D and inappropriate activity. Sounds like A STILL received no help or treatment to help her. Then brother is made into her keeper and jailer while mommy and daddy take off for days on end. If A was the family scapegoat. The damaged one the one who was always trying to get attention (how annoying) with her attempts at suicide. Then brother was taught basically by parents modelling that she was the problem child, the throw away. And little sister, who knows what her life was in that house. Watching all this dysfunction. Could anyone blame her if she recognized this was not okay or worse how long before I am A and I am the one locked in a room with a bucket to pee in.

I know I am ranting and I apologize but dammit . . .

I just want to scream for these children. I truly do.

Oh dear God, after reading the Huffington Post article ... I'm so disgusted by these "parents".
How could they do this to their children? After the 2011 (date stated in above article) in which the parents discovered their two children engaging sexually with each other, (sounds like CPS was notified, but charges were not filed)--- how on earth could they leave their children for days on end unsupervised... 3 young girls & a son?
There's obviously some deep rooted trauma with both of these children to have engaged with each other in the first place - when they were 11 & 12 years old.
These poor children.

I get that these girls committed murder, but I'm sorry... I kind of feel they may have felt it was protecting their lives.
And the boy. Yes he did awful things, but I don't think he knew good things.
These parents. They're the ones that should be facing horrific charges. Their actions have lead to the destruction of so much. The loss of their son's life. And possibly many years of their two young daughter's. and their baby... Their baby witnessed something so horrific. Praying she is being held tight tonight by a family that can help her get through this & will teach her that this is not what her future has to look like.

This is just devastating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This case will be interfering with my sleep tonight. :sigh:

Because the children's parents also are under arrest — all had their first appearances in court scheduled Wednesday — any of the siblings who might be released from state custody can't return home now.

Children arrested for crimes and treated as juveniles can be held in detention for a maximum of 21 days under Florida law but the judge has granted an extra nine days in this case.

"I may be forced to actually charge them as adults to hold them in juvenile detention until I can work something out," said Jeff Siegmeister, 3rd Circuit state attorney. "I don't know all of the facts yet."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/01/07/sisters-brother-florida-killing/21386887/

If this goes to trial and I was on the jury, I would have to vote Not Guilty.

IMO, The 15 year old was just tired of it all............

The surviving children will need lots and lots of counseling. jmo

I am even angrier that some reports are saying that the 11 yr old is charged because she let the sister out of the locked bedroom and then "stood watch" (as in made sure brother did not awaken) as her sister was breaking into parents room.

I am sorry but regardless of how much premeditation went into the 15 year old's decision to shoot the brother, this 11 yr old IMO really participated in a very minor way and I pray they get that girl into the juvie system and not the adult one. I fear for her being charged as an adult simply because her parents are too big a POSs to be returned to and are themselves in jail. That just seems so wrong. To charge her based on "oh well" we aren't sure what else to do with her since she has nowhere else to go??

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back