GUILTY FL - Damien Kornegay, 16, fatally shot, Columbia County, 5 Jan 2015

Horrifying. I don't think these girls should be charged at all. The whole lot was doomed in that home.

Yeah, I am still sort of :fence: about what should be charged and who. I don't think A should just walk away without consequence. She shot her sleeping teen brother as he slept when she was not in immediate danger. I think she had other options. But I am also conscious of the fact that she may not have really felt she did. Who knows how many times she has told of abuse either sexual or physical and either was not believed, was not helped, or when finally was believed was ultimately made to pay for telling?

As to 11 yr old sis, I don't think that child should be held responsible for a darn thing. She freed her captive sister and then had reason to fear that she herself would suffer consequences and abuse for doing so. She played a very passive role. I think she was probably very convinced she was doing the only thing she could in a horrible situation created by her parents.

I really do not believe either of them belongs charged as adults for murder in the 1st.

:sigh: I don't know what to even say about this crime. :(
The parents imoo were neglectful leaving the kids alone.
Did the brother physically and or verballt abuse the girls?
Did the sisters pre meditate shooting their brother? idk, heartbreaking imo.

And the ugliness just keeps on being revealed. A's life of hell being peeled back layer by layer. An awful horrific onion that brings fresh tears with each revelation.

I am just sick at heart. I knew it. Something about what was not being said in those very first reports told the whole story to me. I want that uncle dead. I want these parents locked in a room with me and a baseball bat for a while and then to serve a looooooong prison stretch in a bare cell with a ratty blanket and a bucket to use the restroom in.

And the ugliness just keeps on being revealed. A's life of hell being peeled back layer by layer. An awful horrific onion that brings fresh tears with each revelation.

I am just sick at heart. I knew it. Something about what was not being said in those very first reports told the whole story to me. I want that uncle dead. I want these parents locked in a room with me and a baseball bat for a while and then to serve a looooooong prison stretch in a bare cell with a ratty blanket and a bucket to use the restroom in.

You sensed what I didn't want to think about........ This literally brought me to tears.

I cannot for the life of me understand the girls leaving the 3 yr old there with the dead brother's body and the gun lying on a blanket tho.

That is so troubling to me.

I did notice that daddy dearest's FB page features lots and lots and lots of photos of the 3 yr old and hardly any of the other children, unless they happen to be in the shot with the youngest. The youngest child was very much the focus of prideful photos and praise IMO. I wonder if that played any part in the decision of these girls not feeling the 3 yr old was "like them" in that she needed rescuing or to get away from the house and the circumstance. Did they resent the 3 yr old. Or were they just not thinking she was "one of them"?

http://www.gainesville.com/article/20150108/ARTICLES/150109678

“It was discovered that A’s mistreatment by her brother D and her parents led to her taking the life of her brother,” a Columbia County sheriff’s deputy wrote in a report made public Wednesday afternoon.

But despite that conclusion, the Florida Department of Children and Families has declined to provide any documents tied to the Kornegay family until the agency can determine 16-year-old DK was killed as a result of mistreatment by his caregivers...

“If it is determined that the death of the older brother is a result of abuse or neglect by a caregiver, all records pertaining to the investigation will become public record,” Harrell said in a written statement provided to The Sun.

Sounds like brother learned from the parents to lock the girl up in the room. Where exactly was CPS?

Child protective services=CPS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dad's FB posts indicate possible marital issues, possible flirtation and depression. I wonder if mom took to going on his truck driving over the road job to keep an eye on things KWIM. Seems like all eyes were on self and problems and not on kids. Normal for these folks?

ETA um, anyone else notice dad got engaged per FB in December 2014? of course that means nothing, since sometimes when you add info to FB it tags it with the time/date added. But aren't mom and dad already married?

No telling what else may come.

I wish I hadn't spotted this thread.... sickening.

If all the boys FB profile pics are him, there has been a massive change in his appearance in the last year (refer to profile pics 7 and 8).

I feel for all of them. The only silver lining is that the 3 year old now has a chance at a better life.

why do I suspect this one is gonna get really really ugly?

Because one of three things will happen: The brother was a psychopath. The sister is a psychopath. Or the parents are awful and the brother was just doing what he has seen them do and the sister did what she had to do, but just not to the original wrongdoers (Easier to kill a brother than to off the bad parents, because as long as the parents live, she may still have a shot at getting them to love her.)

I cannot for the life of me understand the girls leaving the 3 yr old there with the dead brother's body and the gun lying on a blanket tho.

If no one ever took care of you, you don't know that you don't know how to correctly care for another. Frankly, I am surprised the 3 year old is alive. Did these children never attend school?

All school aged children attended school right up until the 15 year old was pulled from school by parents due to "behavioral issues" and attempts at suicide according to reports. Apparently the answer was to lock her in her room for extended periods (weeks) with only a blanket and bucket.

You know, because that is so effective in addressing behavioral issues and suicidal thoughts. :banghead:

In one of dads fb pics with the 3 year old someone comments, "How about a family pic. All of them are cool. …". All of the pics he posts are ONLY of the littlest girl.

Also - IMO I think we will also find out that the boy had been abused as well. If the siblings are having relations of that nature, it is usually a result of previous abuse.

ALL of them have the same eyes…dead. very sad.

Child protective services=CPS

I am asking what in the world were CPS doing when all this abuse was going on, not what they are.

I am thinking CPS had to have been involved when A was molested, and raped while over the course of years, which was videoed during the last year of abuse at hands of uncle during the last year of it (the videos were found by uncle's wife when A was age 10 or 11). I want to know what kind of services were offered for her and what the parents opted to allow for her at that age. Shortly thereafter was the incident of inappropriate relations with her brother (apparently when he was around 12 and she was around 11) and DCF was again involved. Reports only indicate that no charges were filed (duh) but beyond that nothing about whether counseling was offered. I know that when children are acting out in that manner DCF tells adult caretakers to be vigilant and keep eyes on at all times. That obviously was not happening in this household. :banghead:

My heart breaks for all of the children. I suspect that following the uncle abuse no counseling at all took place and A was left to simply deal with all of that on her own.

I also suspect that D, having heard way too much about what went on with the uncle circumstance and beginning to feel the hormones or possibly A having nowhere to put all that adult knowledge, or both, collided to become the inappropriate behavior between them.

I suspect A was the fall guy in that situation and again, having just been through the extended uncle grooming and abuse. I further suspect that no counseling took place to assist either child to process that situation and move forward in a healthy way. I think each blamed the other and parents decided it was easier to blame troubled A. Who knows, if she seduced her own brother, maybe the uncle was likewise seduced (please note the extreme sarcasm here).

I suspect it created a dynamic in the house that made A the scapegoat. The bad child. The troubled child. The dangerous creature that must be controlled at all times.

I suspect that mom and dad had no clue or compulsion to try to help their daughter. It was easier simply to blame her for all that went wrong and all her cries for help were interpreted as simply more of her being a "bad" child. An "inconvenience" to deal with.

I suspect that D learned that he could do just about anything in regards to A, because she was "bad" and he would always be believed by his parents and his behaviors condoned or excused because, afterall, A drives him to it.

So there you have it. My suspicions about what created the perfect storm of circumstances that ended with a 16 year old dead at the hands of his 15 year old sister.

This one is killing me. The children in this house. the parenting choices. They are killing me slowly.

Florida

Mandatory LWOP for juveniles convicted of murder.
Fla. Stat. Ann.
§ 775.082(1)

Mandatory JLWOP for juveniles (of ANY age) convicted of murder.
"Child of any age” may be indicted for crimes punishable by death or life imprisonment; once indicted, child must be “tried and handled in every respect as an adult”; once convicted, “child shall be sentenced as an adult.”
§985.56(1)
Mandatory LWOP for juveniles convicted of murder.
Fla. Stat. Ann.
§ 775.082(1)

-Juveniles serving JLWOP: 266
-Juveniles aged 13-14 serving JLWOP: 15

http://www.usfca.edu/law/jlwop/resource_guide/

Our Supreme Court has outlawed sentencing juvenile offenders to either death or life in prison. I believe it was a Florida case, in fact, that led to this decision.

That is so troubling to me.

I did notice that daddy dearest's FB page features lots and lots and lots of photos of the 3 yr old and hardly any of the other children, unless they happen to be in the shot with the youngest. The youngest child was very much the focus of prideful photos and praise IMO. I wonder if that played any part in the decision of these girls not feeling the 3 yr old was "like them" in that she needed rescuing or to get away from the house and the circumstance. Did they resent the 3 yr old. Or were they just not thinking she was "one of them"?

They went to a friend's. Maybe they either typically never showed up there with their toddler sister and had no other place to go or they thought she might talk.

Another night where sleep doesn't come easily but tears do. It might be time to step back. On the one hand I feel so compelled to speak for A and the possible motivations and explanations behind her horrific actions. On the other self preservation and the need to distance myself from the absolute hopelessness and self loathing combined with self preservation I read from A and her actions.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back