GUILTY FL - Debra Lafave for student sex abuse, Tampa, 2005

golfmom said:
sigh ... just when you think life just can't possibly get more bizarre, it takes a turn for the worse.

:banghead:

Yeah, just what is not needed in this case. Some little kid seeing teacher's privates on some TV channel.

I disagree with this sentence, (or lack thereof):
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,176375,00.html

...and I ESPECIALLY disagree with this comment by her attorney:

To place an attractive young woman in that kind of hell hole is like putting a piece of raw meat in with the lions," Lafave's attorney, John Fitzgibbons, said in July of the possibility of jail time. "I'm not sure she would survive."

:confused: Does that mean that attractive people should be exempt from jailtime???:confused:

If it were an 'attractive young man' who had molested a school-age girl, he would be in prison. I think that the double-standard is absolutely ridiculous.

This whole thing is weird. She couldn't survive in Jail? :bang: GMAB!

For this atty to mention her attractiveness is just bizzarro to me, as though that should be a consideration.:doh: sheesh.
Some court ordered therapy for this sick-o and some jail time would have been great.I don't see prison as the way to go, but jail should have been a no brainer.

Funny thing - I went to college with that lawyer's younger brother (he is also a lawyer and dated a friend of mine), and his sister was one of my sorority sisters! I would guess he's a pretty high buck mouthpiece, too. Small world.

I am a teacher and this amazes me, as do all the cases of teachers and young male (and female) students. It would be a cold day in hell before I'd even think of any of my students that way. EWWWW.

Eve

nanandjim said:
If it were an 'attractive young man' who had molested a school-age girl, he would be in prison. I think that the double-standard is absolutely ridiculous.
I couldn't have said it any better nanandjim- the law should be the law- no matter how "attractive" you are or your sex grrrrrrrr!!:razz:

She's average looking. Why the attorney thinks looks should be considered is beyond ridiculous.

Soooo, if I get caught robbing a bank, could my lawyer say I shouldn't be in jail because I'm too short and everyone would pick on me because they could? Or, do I just have to qualify for Miss USA? :doh:

fran

Great! It sounds like I can do whatever I want and not have to worry about going to jail. I'm just too darn good lookin'!! :dance:

This is a joke. I'm completely disgusted. Any male committing this crime would be under the jail, and everyone would be sighing in relief that he wouldn't be able to molest other children. I'm sure his looks wouldn't be considered a factor either.

While I don't agree with the sentence, it does appear to be consensual sex, which may have had an impact, and the following snippet from the article gives more details:

Hillsborough Circuit Judge Wayne Timmerman said LaFave also will forever lose her teaching certificate, must register with the state as a sexual predator, may not have any contact with children including the victim, and will not be allowed to profit from the sale of her story or personal appearances.

The victim's mother said afterward that the public scrutiny had taken its toll on the family, and they just wanted to see it all end.

"If we had continued along this path, this would have followed him forever," said the mother, whose name was being withheld to protect her son's identity. "My prayer is that he can leave this behind him and go on and be a happy, healthy young man."

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - A female teacher pleaded guilty Tuesday to having sex with a 14-year-old middle school student, avoiding prison as part of a plea agreement.

Debra Lafave, 25, whose sensational case made tabloid headlines, will serve three years of house arrest and seven years' probation. She pleaded guilty to two counts of lewd and lascivious battery.

<snip>

Her attorney, John Fitzgibbons, said in July that plea negotiations had broken off because prosecutors had insisted on prison time. He said she planned to plead insanity at trial, claiming that emotional stress kept her from knowing right from wrong.

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?floc=hp-tos-feat-b-01&idq=/ff/story/0001/20051122/1141038611.htm

Please...I can see that happening to Kara Borden but not for someone in this situation.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back