FL - Dr Teresa Sievers, 46, murdered in home, Bonita Springs, June 2015 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an RN, I cannot see how legally or why in practicality LE would even put themselves in that position. It is not like a practice gives away the originals. Plus, in my experience, judges are very reluctant to allow LE to see medical records unless they can show a direct bearing on the investigation. The agency has to meet a high bar of necessity for a judge to sign that type of search warrant.

This article talks about when LE can look at patient files

http://shawnawilson.hubpages.com/hub/HIPAA-Protection-of-Patient-Privacy

Under HIPAA, personal healthcare information can be released to law enforcement without patient permission under certain circumstances. These include:

Court orders and subpoenas
Identifying suspects, witnesses, or missing persons
Reporting about victims of crime, neglect, or abuse
For any other uses, an authorization form must be signed by the patient prior to the release of information. There is special protection for:

Psychotherapy notes
Drug and alcohol abuse treatment records
Research records
Communicable disease information
HIV/AIDS status
Genetic testing
Evaluation and treatment of mental health disorders

JMO but I think the reason patients are having trouble getting their medical records is a stall tactic. Perhaps hoping with a new Dr in place they will change their mind.

As an RN, I cannot see how legally or why in practicality LE would even put themselves in that position. It is not like a practice gives away the originals. Plus, in my experience, judges are very reluctant to allow LE to see medical records unless they can show a direct bearing on the investigation. The agency has to meet a high bar of necessity for a judge to sign that type of search warrant.

I think there is miscommunication here---Nurse Sandy said she was surprised to hear that patients were complaining about not getting their records from the practice. Nurse Sandy now works for the practice down the hall who volunteered to take on Dr S's patients immediately which sounded like a professional courtesy to me under adverse conditions. You stated it is not LE that is preventing them.
So who is the direct person responsible for the patients wanting to take their business elsewhere but they can't get their records?
Is it MS himself blocking the patients from getting their own files while he looks for a replacement doc?
Who?

NBC 2 News at 7 reported the neighbors have not seen the children since their mother's death. Mark TOLD NBC 2 that he IS looking for an interim physician. There was also a short segment on the minister/chaplain who presided over Teresa's funeral. She said she was called Tuesday by Mark to have the funeral at her church. The minister/chaplain also said we all most go on loving because Teresa would want us to despite this terrible death.

Personally I'm not a believer in the anti aging movement. How can a doctor be "certified" on aging when the AMA and American Board of Medical Specialties don't even recognize its certifications?
Unless it has changed recently, it is illegal to prescribe bioidentical and/or hgh for anti-aging purposes.
It sure seems like that is exactly what she was doing.
Aging is not a disease, it's a process. I would imagine that some agency is looking into her practice to see what her standard of care was and what she was promoting to her patients.
Moo

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...33e8ec-f4f5-11e4-84a6-6d7c67c50db0_story.html

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/28/health/age-youth-treatment-medication/

http://hghwatch.com/

They can take classes and seminars that offer certifications at completion.

http://www.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1507/08/ng.01.html

Sources also reporting computers taken out of the family home, as well as Dr. Sievers`s

medical practice computers, as police poring over the doctor`s patient list with a fine-toothed comb.

And tonight, was Sievers tailed from the airport? We recreate her route and learn at least seven red lights she passes that night equipped

with cameras, this as the sheriff declares openly this murder is not random. Take a listen to what the sheriff says.

bbm
So according to sources they are going over patient records too.

A list of client names is different than access to your complaints, treatments, medical history, medications, etc.
I cannot believe in the strict atmosphere of HIPPA, a bunch of LEO are reading through private, personal medical files at their leisure. To look at each one would be a separate subpoena, unless they are grouping them based on some outside fact.

If you see my last line of that post, I am merely trying to get across that I THINK we are going down the wrong rabbit hole. I didn't present anything as fact. Just trying to maintain a respect for our victim, her family and friends. Trying to keep a bit of a balance on this thread ya know?

But CoolJ, all kinds of theories about known and unknown perps and plots have been hashed out on this case. Every day I see something in someone else's post that adds a new theory or a new dimension to a theory. I am just curious. What one rabbit hole do you think the overall content of the threads is going down?

I suspect everyone from the inside out. Every one that had any connection to the Dr. I dont think LE has cleared anyone yet. jmo

A list of client names is different than access to your complaints, treatments, medical history, medications, etc.
I cannot believe in the strict atmosphere of HIPPA, a bunch of LEO are reading through private, personal medical files at their leisure. To look at each one would be a separate subpoena, unless they are grouping them based on some outside fact.

That's the thing, the HIPPA documents every patient signs contain disclosures, one of which allows LE to records in certain circumstances such as a criminal investigation like this

I think there is miscommunication here---Nurse Sandy said she was surprised to hear that patients were complaining about not getting their records from the practice. Nurse Sandy now works for the practice down the hall who volunteered to take on Dr S's patients immediately which sounded like a professional courtesy to me under adverse conditions. You stated it is not LE that is preventing them.
So who is the direct person responsible for the patients wanting to take their business elsewhere but they can't get their records?
Is it MS himself blocking the patients from getting their own files while he looks for a replacement doc?
Who?

I do not know who the "enforcer" in the office would be, but it is someone in Dr. S.'s practice. LE would get nothing out of stopping people from getting their medical records to seek medical care, except a mad public, perhaps.

That's the thing, the HIPPA documents every patient signs contain disclosures, one of which allows LE to records in certain circumstances such as a criminal investigation like this

Not the ones I've signed.

Not the ones I've signed.

There's a difference between the authorization form signed v. the usual pamphlet, paperwork, or whatever provided that contains explanation of the Act along with information pertaining to disclosure in certain circumstances

I dont really think this is going to be a patient perp. I have no reason based in fact or reality of course, but It just feels more personal than a patient perp. More like a business partner or an affair ....an affair with a business partner. Something that was really good that spun violently out of control and the perp couldnt bear to be the losing party or had too much to lose if their relationship was terminated...all moo..

Nothing mentioned on Nancy Grace show so far for this case

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

There's a difference between the authorization form signed v. the usual pamphlet, paperwork, or whatever provided that contains explanation of the Act along with information pertaining to disclosure in certain circumstances

We all like to believe that HIPPA laws protect our confidentiality but don't fall for that false sense of security. Doctors offices may leave a wide berth where confidentiality can be breached: be this from human error of forgetting to lock a filing cabinet or an office door to more malevolent, nefarious intentions like office personnel selling info or committing identity theft.
And if the later occurs, it takes years to unravel & prosecute, if ever.

Point is---if there is a will, there is a way.

Heck, even the most secured websites have been breached to steal info. Target anyone?

(& this post was not directed at you per se, lvsamystery.....just a post in general)

mckazpm, if you're reading, I'd like to hear more about the Sievers' behavior that neighbors found odd. Thanks!

Are you serious? I tried once and it went haywire on here for days. Sure was not intended. But, in relation to all of the posts yesterday, the media was indeed sitting out on Jarvis yesterday. It appeared that they were expecting something to happen as well.

Are you serious? I tried once and it went haywire on here for days. Sure was not intended. But, in relation to all of the posts yesterday, the media was indeed sitting out on Jarvis yesterday. It appeared that they were expecting something to happen as well.

Which means there probably ARE leaks as you'd expect, but for some reason even the media isn't playing that hand? So contrary to typical

I sorta wondered if maybe something changed midstream....hmmm...wonder what it could be? just dont say the R word LOL :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blondeboricua