Found Safe FL - Erica Ann Johnson, 36, Endangered, missed work, has no bank acct, vehicle or SM & rarely uses phone, Cape Coral, 14 July 2022 *found in 2023*

Just happened upon this thread today, and have read all of your thoughtful posts so far. I, like several of you, wonder why she is listed as "endangered", but trust that LE have more information about her than we do, and if they consider her so, then I accept that. I am inclined to believe that perhaps she has experienced some mental or emotional health issues, which may explain the ESA, and may explain her being somewhat "disconnected" from some of the things that the average person may consider normal for a young woman. She apparently was able to hold down a job, and from her appearance in pics, it seems she was able to take care of herself, so it is my hope that she is taking care of herself now, wherever she is.

Some cases we follow here, you read and immediately just know in your gut that it is going to end badly. I do not have a strong sense of that here, and am hopeful that she just felt the need to get away for a while, for whatever reason, and will eventually be found safely, or contact her loved ones. Her children and family surely miss her. We all need to take mental health breaks from our daily routines at times. I hope she is taking an extended one now, and I pray her and her bunny are safe. JMO

Last edited:
Not being sarcastic, but don’t you at least have to have a doctors note for that?
It's ok, I'm glad you asked. After I posted it, I wanted to make sure I also did not come across as harsh or anything. It is more thinking out loud and that I have known people who kind of went into the grey area. I don't care, as I love animals and think everyone who can care for a pet should know the love. Was more thinking of it as an emotional support animal as a "neutral" for me in terms of assessing/guessing her overall state of being.

Hope that makes sense! :)

Hi there. Pardon any mistakes, I've never used this site before.
I am Erica's cousin. Though it brings me a lot of anxiety to look through here, I also think it's important I clear some things up. (Also-- if you don't believe me, I'm sorry, but there's not much I could really do to prove I'm telling the truth. Maybe I could sift through old pictures and find one of us together. Anyways...)
With regards to her endangered status, she is mentally ill. I don't want to go into much detail out of respect for her, but she is living with a great deal of trauma and a mental diagnosis I won't name out of fear I may be misremembering. Last I spoke with her, she had been taking medication for it.
As for the bunny, it is a pet, not a stuffed animal. Unless she had gotten a new one, then it should be a large brown rabbit. He basically looks like your standard wild rabbit but much bigger and droopier. The fencing is what she always used to enclose him. As far as I can remember he never had a cage, just fencing.
And when it comes to her ex, the whole situation happened so long ago that I don't remember any of the details. Sorry. I'm 19 now, so I must've been single-digits when they split. As far as I can recall, the situation was never particularly pleasant for Erica. I can't say much else, because I don't want to spread misinformation due to my shoddy memory.
She did love her kids dearly though, and I can't imagine how stressful this must be for them. She has a daughter (I want to say she's around 10 now) and a son, who is a few years younger.
This is all very, very surreal for all of us. You hear all these true crime stories and stuff like that, but you never, ever expect it to happen to you or a loved one. I love Erica, she was always someone I could connect with more than others in my extended family because we are both very reserved and animal-loving. She took care of my pet birds while I was on vacation for a few weeks, and she did excellent. That actually may have been the last time I'd seen her in person. I hope I can see her again.
Anyway, if you have any questions, I'll try my best to answer. And I really, truly appreciate you all taking your time to spread the word about her. It's an incredibly scary time for me, but it does bring me a bit of peace knowing there are folks out there who care, despite never getting to know Erica. Thank you.

I am Erica's cousin. Though it brings me a lot of anxiety to look through here, I also think it's important I clear some things up. (Also-- if you don't believe me, I'm sorry, but there's not much I could really do to prove I'm telling the truth. Maybe I could sift through old pictures and find one of us together. Anyways...)
With regards to her endangered status, she is mentally ill. I don't want to go into much detail out of respect for her, but she is living with a great deal of trauma and a mental diagnosis I won't name out of fear I may be misremembering. Last I spoke with her, she had been taking medication for it.
As for the bunny, it is a pet, not a stuffed animal. Unless she had gotten a new one, then it should be a large brown rabbit. He basically looks like your standard wild rabbit but much bigger and droopier. The fencing is what she always used to enclose him. As far as I can remember he never had a cage, just fencing.
And when it comes to her ex, the whole situation happened so long ago that I don't remember any of the details. Sorry. I'm 19 now, so I must've been single-digits when they split. As far as I can recall, the situation was never particularly pleasant for Erica. I can't say much else, because I don't want to spread misinformation due to my shoddy memory.
She did love her kids dearly though, and I can't imagine how stressful this must be for them. She has a daughter (I want to say she's around 10 now) and a son, who is a few years younger.
This is all very, very surreal for all of us. You hear all these true crime stories and stuff like that, but you never, ever expect it to happen to you or a loved one. I love Erica, she was always someone I could connect with more than others in my extended family because we are both very reserved and animal-loving. She took care of my pet birds while I was on vacation for a few weeks, and she did excellent. That actually may have been the last time I'd seen her in person. I hope I can see her again.
Anyway, if you have any questions, I'll try my best to answer. And I really, truly appreciate you all taking your time to spread the word about her. It's an incredibly scary time for me, but it does bring me a bit of peace knowing there are folks out there who care, despite never getting to know Erica. Thank you.
Completely forgot to mention (it's 1:00 AM here, whoops) that a private detective has been hired as of yesterday. We are as in-the-dark about all this as you guys are.

Hi @danderson ! We are so glad to have you here. I am so sorry you and your family are missing your loved one- I love how you describe your connection with Erica and she sounds like a really special person, mother, and family member.
Your input is very valuable to all of us here. Please consider becoming a Verified Insider so you can provide information here without having to list your mainstream media source. The moderators are great and can help if you follow the directions at this link: Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

She sounds to be a caring person. Its good the family is taking the initiative of hiring a PI. I hope the PI can give the family answers that she is doing fine. My concern is that the absence of a cell phone is IMO a safety issue. Cell phones are a lifeline in emergencies. We've heard so many times where having a cell phone present have saved lives in emergencies. I hope she's doing well. I'm sure the family has called hospitals and shelters. So if she's not there then could she have gone out of state voluntarily? And if she did go out of state for employment? Or escaping a past/present relationship/stalker? I'm also wondering why she didn't pick up her paychecks? Was she afraid of her place of employment and wanted to quit it voluntarily? A lot of questions.

I do not believe any function the way they did decades ago when you just bought a phone, set it up by calling a number, and went to a random gas station and bought scratch off cards that were prepaid with so many minutes on them. Those were real burner phones. You could have said your name was anything and just picked a random area code, whatever. I'm sure plenty of people did. I think A LOT has changed since those days.
I realize a lot has changed in terms of the safety and privacy of technology but we still do have burner phones but these days even burner phones ping off of cell towers. The carrier company would have the information. However, these days I believe burner phones can be bought at convenience stores under assumed names. Depending on legislation I would think ID's may be required or not required to purchase these burner phones and pay as you go is still an option.

She also seems to be making an effort to cover as much of her face as possible. smaller image:
For me the smaller image seems like she is holding something against her face and ear like a cellphone. Towards her ear the gap between the fingers shows IMO part of an object. Towards her chin there looks like a shadow of something possibly a cellphone. In the enhanced image that you posted IMO I don't see what I saw in the smaller image. IDKwhy, I just can't see it. Thanks for posting both images.

I realize a lot has changed in terms of the safety and privacy of technology but we still do have burner phones but these days even burner phones ping off of cell towers. The carrier company would have the information. However, these days I believe burner phones can be bought at convenience stores under assumed names. Depending on legislation I would think ID's may be required or not required to purchase these burner phones and pay as you go is still an option.
Yes, you can pay as you go, and that is sort of what I was getting at, but did not want to post anything that might be construed as instructing anyone on how to be shady? You never know what comes up in searches, etc.

No one asked for an ID when I picked up a prepaid phone. You could in theory buy one, buy minutes in a store physically, call and set it up say whatever, and trash it, sure. The issue now is more refilling one/adding minutes. I'm sure if someone really had a mind to be under the radar, there is a way, but it is not like it was say in 1999, when you would stop by a convenience store or similar, had an array of physical plastic cards for Tracfone type phones that you scratched off and revealed a code to be redeemed for minutes.

They're now bought online or on the phone using a credit card. A prepaid card might work? I'm honestly not sure? So maybe you could get a phone, set up an account somehow saying your name is Websleuths Smith, (lol) buy a prepaid card with cash, use a PO Box as your address or some random address and voila? It would absolutely still be pinging, so if you used that same phone to call your ex to say you;re not picking up your kids, then your cover is blown.

You could have a second prepaid phone, sure or a third, a fourth....phones are really cheap...Kind of scary, really. I hope she is OK.

For me the smaller image seems like she is holding something against her face and ear like a cellphone. Towards her ear the gap between the fingers shows IMO part of an object. Towards her chin there looks like a shadow of something possibly a cellphone. In the enhanced image that you posted IMO I don't see what I saw in the smaller image. IDKwhy, I just can't see it. Thanks for posting both images.

You're welcome. That was my experience too and why I shared both. I think it is just the pixelation/image quality.

Hmm....I wonder if she could be pet sitting? Based on @danderson 's insight about his cousin caring for his pet birds while he was on vacation, and her experience working at a hotel, a pet/house sitting gig seems a natural fit.

Edited to ask if anyone has first hand experience with current housesitting websites and/or the general area? Would something like Craigslist be the first place to look?

@danderson, Thank you for joining us here. I am so sorry for the pain that you and all those who love Erica must be going through now. I hope that she will be found, safely, soon, and returned home. I would like to ask, do you or anyone in her family know of any reason she would have traveled to Tampa? Does she have any other family or friends in the Bay area, that you know of? Also, if it is possible she may have changed buses in Tampa, unnoticed, and continued on, any idea at all of any other areas of the state or country that she may have friends in, and have gone to?

@danderson thank you for sharing. i hope reading our posts will provide a different/fresh prospective.

Glad to hear a PI has been hired.

Can you share/ confirm when she was seen at the tampa bus terminal? Tampa has cameras everywhere. IMO it’s odd that LEO hasn’t confirmed her getting off the bus in Tampa.

CAPE CORAL, Fla. — It’s been close to one month since 36-year-old Erica Ann Johnson went missing without a trace. Cape Coral Police are continuing their search and addressing speculation circulating online.

Detectives tracked down Johnson at a Greyhound bus stop in Tampa, but from there, they don’t know where she went. The mother of two was last seen getting on a bus early in the morning on July 8 at a southeast Cape Coral Transit Center.

Police say that’s when she went to Fort Myers to get on a Greyhound. However, the timeline leading up to Johnson’s disappearance starts on June 6. In a missing persons report obtained by Fox 4, Johnson, a divorced mother of two, missed an appointment to see her kids, but the report does not specify with whom.

From there, Johnson was seen getting off a Greyhound bus in Tampa, Sancho said. Her family reported her missing on July 14.

Her disappearance has sparked a lot of attention on social media, especially surrounding domestic violence. Many people are using her name as a hashtag and questioning the circumstances. We asked why the police department thinks it’s causing a stir online.

“I think just that in recent light of people going missing, like Lauren Dumolo locally, and others in the local area too -- it definitely causes some type of controversy,” Sancho explained.

Controversy the police department wants to clear up.

“I will tell you that a lot of people are saying maybe she’s escaping from something DV-related, something domestic violence related. We don’t have that information readily available,” Sancho said. “So I know a lot of people are kinda having speculation as far as why she left.”

Sancho also says they do not believe foul play is suspected. In the missing persons report, Cape Coral Police deem her has endangered.

“No vehicle, no social media, no bank account, which is truly unique because most people have at least one of those and it would allow our detectives and investigators to be able to track and locate that subject,” he explained. “This subject actually left with some belongings. That could mean numerous different things. I don’t want to speculate, but I will say maybe they didn’t want to be found.”

After she was reported missing, police went to a commercial building where she rented a room, police say. They found a small couch, bin of clothes, a blue bicycle and a backpack. The report states neighbors saw her with a black suitcase a week before and have not seen her since.

Police also tried to call her, but it went to voicemail. The report states she turns off her phone when Johnson doesn’t need to use it.

“We do sometimes see subjects who don’t want to be found, so they shut off their location or they’re discarding their phone. It’s usually for a reason,” Sancho said. “We would have to make contact with her first in order to figure out what was her true reason for leaving and not leaving any trace of evidence.”

Whether or not she left on her own, Sancho says they’re going to push forward with the case.

“The family obviously cares. They want to know. They want answers too and that’s what we’re looking to find,” he said.

Tampa Police say they’re aware of Johnson’s disappearance and are working with Cape Coral detectives. Even if Johnson did leave on her own, Sancho says they will still consider her a missing person until they physically talk to Johnson.

If you know where she is, you’re asked to call your local police department.

AUG 5, 2022
[...]

“She left with I believe a bunny cage, a gate, a backpack and some items. It’s believed that she also left with her bunny as well,” Sancho said.

From there, Johnson was seen getting off a Greyhound bus in Tampa, Sancho said. ...

[...]

ETA: OOPS, @Unalienable Rights, looks like we were posting at the same time!

AUG 5, 2022
[...]

“She left with I believe a bunny cage, a gate, a backpack and some items. It’s believed that she also left with her bunny as well,” Sancho said.

From there, Johnson was seen getting off a Greyhound bus in Tampa, Sancho said. ...

[...]

ETA: OOPS, @Unalienable Rights, looks like we were posting at the same time!
It sounds like they did see her on video getting off the bus in Tampa. That's encouraging. Now to figure out where she went after exiting the bus. Did she board another bus to another location. Did she know someone in Tampa that was picking her up? Sure sounds like she is under the radar intentionally.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back