FL FL - Fort Lauderdale, WhtMale 1176UMFL, 21-30, 'US Paratrooper' tattoo, May'84

I figured with fingerprints readily available he would have been ID'd a long time ago if he were active duty and went AWOL or missing on leave. He would have been finger printed when he enlisted. It seems to me that someone from the military would have investigated the disappearance and tried to find him back then, and they would have had his information readily available to assist in the search. Now they will probably have to go digging around in their archives. Who knows if their fingerprints from the early 80s are even digitized? These remains were discovered pre-AFIS.
Of course, this assumes that the UID was indeed in the military. I can't imagine have one, let alone two, tattoos that are indicative of military service if I weren't in the service, but I suppose anything is possible.

It's very hard to search through fingerprint cards. Somebody who knows what they're doing has to go through and look at each one at a time. So unless you have a name or something to narrow down the range, it's prohibitively time consuming.

Also, millions of records including fingerprints were lost in a massive fire at the National Archives in St. Louis in the 70's and I think a bunch of Vietnam-era records were also lost at some point. So yeah, it's entirely possible they missed him.

I figured it might be a chore to go through fingerprints pre-AFIS, but what I was thinking was that they wouldn't have to go through each one, but ones from a list of known AWOL soldiers. If he wasn't active duty, that would definitely take a lot of time and effort.
I didn't know there had been a fire at the National Archives. That's too bad.

I figured it might be a chore to go through fingerprints pre-AFIS, but what I was thinking was that they wouldn't have to go through each one, but ones from a list of known AWOL soldiers. If he wasn't active duty, that would definitely take a lot of time and effort.
I didn't know there had been a fire at the National Archives. That's too bad.

But there isn't any reason to think he was AWOL, is there? He could have been discharged several years previous.

But there isn't any reason to think he was AWOL, is there? He could have been discharged several years previous.

No, there's no reason to think he was AWOL, it was just a jumping off point. If he had been active duty when he went missing, he would be considered AWOL when he didn't return. Then, he would have showed up on a list somewhere.

I never received a reply from the provost. Heavy sigh.

image.jpg

I just came across a photo of missing Terrance Schram and I noticed a tattoo on his left arm. To me, it looks like it can be a horse skull with wings and words over it. Anyone else see it?

Here's hoping the new fingerprint technology and AFIS updating catches up to this young man.

Bump - Memorial Day Weekend is coming up so let's see if we can share this man's case around a bit on whatever social media we use. Maybe a name will shake out of a thread somewhere.

https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/1254

Is there a poster anywhere we can share?

I've been using variations of this self created one.

attachment.php

Excellent job. I will copy this and share it on FB Memorial Day weekend.
He doesn't have DNA available, which stinks, otherwise I'd suggest him for the DDP project.
I'd also like to see a better and/or updated reconstruction of him, since NamUs states he has a recognizable face. I wonder if that means there are pictures CarlK could use to make one.

I suggested to the ME to send the postmortem image to Carl. I don't know if she has.

I didn't ask about the possibility of getting DNA.

Excellent job. I will copy this and share it on FB Memorial Day weekend.
He doesn't have DNA available, which stinks, otherwise I'd suggest him for the DDP project.
I'd also like to see a better and/or updated reconstruction of him, since NamUs states he has a recognizable face. I wonder if that means there are pictures CarlK could use to make one.

The DNA that's used for identification is different than the DNA used for genealogical matching, so the absence doesn't automatically mean that there's nothing that could be used for DDP's tests. If they saved blood samples or something like that, it might be possible. It's worth asking.

I agree about a better reconstruction.

The DNA that's used for identification is different than the DNA used for genealogical matching, so the absence doesn't automatically mean that there's nothing that could be used for DDP's tests. If they saved blood samples or something like that, it might be possible. It's worth asking.

I agree about a better reconstruction.

Yes, agreed about the DNA.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard