GUILTY FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for that.
I will take a look. I couldn't see them on his site initially but I did see he links to his past interviews, some of which I've seen before.
( I might buy the book, it doesn't put me off that he didn't find evidence of WA's involvement, it was pretty early on that he wrote the bulk of it and as you & others have said, more & more evidence will be revealed with each trial.)
Since I first viewed her Isom interveiw I've always thought she was involved. As per implausibility of CA/Rashbaum's Defense theory - it's implausible to me that the Princess's ex was murdered without her explicit permission
Problem is that she's even more conniving than the pair of them
Agreed about WA, but then, she is a lawyer. lol

I do wonder why the state didn't consider charging all of them under RICO after LR confessed, it seems they have evidence they were all involved, and the extent of participation doesn't matter as long as all were in on the same conspiracy/outcome (removing DM from their lives).

Not so much permission as acquiescence.
It might have suited prosecutors in trial 3 (and Wendi herself 2014-23 ) to paint Wendi as compliant, as a victim and without adult agency but think that most can see she is formidable. Formidable whether as a witness, an adversary or strategist.

ETA some old quotes:

2014 statement from Wendi’s lawyer
"She's a basket case, she's totally, totally shocked over what happened," said Adelson's lawyer, Jimmy Judkins. "Gone from having children with two parents to children with one parent with no warning.
"She's scared to death for her children. She's scared to death for herself." Mystery surrounds murder of FSU law professor
-----
The theme of Judkin’s narrative was very much similar to WA’s comments in her own writing class exercise ( the podcast)
Why ….I should be treated like a murder suspect and not the mother of two fatherless boys?
----
'Danny used to tell me that everyone thought I was such a nice person and such a good person, but he was the only one that knew the truth about what a bad person I was. He was convinced I had deluded everyone but him'
https://abovethelaw.com/2016/06/the-murder-of-dan-markel-wendi-adelson-speaks-part-3/

Last edited:
Agreed. It just doesn’t seem very wise as a strategy. Better, in the first place, not to say the stuff to other people that you need to preemptively mitigate. And it seems unreasonable not to have known that the strategy would draw suspicion on the brother, preemptive or not. And LaCasse might not have been interviewed right away, although I suppose he would have eventually. Magbanua was never interviewed or even approached, despite the fact that the police were given Charlie as a lead. They didn’t even ask to interview Charlie, or investigate his life, which is unbelievable to me given all Wendi and LaCasse were saying. It took them a while, and lots of tower dumps, to find Magbanua, when interviewing even one friend of Charlie’s could’ve gotten her. She might have talked, this was way before the bump. Who knows?

If you have no knowledge, and you talk, it might not hurt you. If refuse to talk, it looks bad. But not as bad as if you have knowledge and you talk in an effort to seem like you don’t know anything. In that case, however bad it looks to say nothing and demand counsel, it is still the better thing to do. It’s hard to speak as though you don’t know what you know.
ahah exactly! It's like she thought she was being clever by offering little pieces of information to appear 100% transparent to the investigators. If she was aware this was going to happen--and I thinks she was--then I think she rehearsed in her head what she would say ahead of time. Not all of it. But a lot of it.

And agreed--always just stay quiet and never give a statement.

It seems like the A's did a good job of keeping Wendi insulated, but she made a few missteps, which could very well lead to an eventual indictment.

As we know, she just couldn't help herself and had to go out of her way to see the crime scene. When she realized the police were present, she made her exit quite conspicuous in comparison to other motorists. Sure, she can claim it was just a coincidence, but in addition to her erratic behavior, she bought Bulleit brand whiskey for the party in the evening. Once again, she'd likely claim it was an unfortunate choice, but she just so happened to have a number of bad coincidences on the day of the murder.

In addition, according Lacasse, she made everyone use a busted TV to watch a movie - even though there was another perfectly good television available and the kids were complaining the whole time. This is pretty bizarre behavior, which I imagine was a byproduct of Wendi struggling to process what took place (or reveling in the crime).

I imagine all of this leads the state to believe that Wendi was well aware of what happened. Accordingly, if she did have foreknowledge, it means her whole police interrogation was a well executed farce. Wendi (and her brother) have leaned heavily on her willingness to submit herself to such an interrogation as evidence of her un-involvement. If the prosecution can demonstrate that she was aware of what was going to take place, Wendi's credibility would be considerably undermined. (She effectively spent hours with the police putting on a stage production.)

Of course, mere foreknowledge usually isn't enough to constitute a crime. Wendi's biggest blunder was her final date/conversation with Lacasse. I would imagine that the whole purpose of the final date was just to use it as an excuse to confirm his travel plans. It seems like she was so distracted by the plot and/or irritated by Jeff that she forgot to follow through with the purpose of the outing. After they had effectively broken up, she all of a sudden turns back on the charm in order confirm that he was leaving the next day.

They state will need more, but this blunder makes it clear she was particularly interested in Jeff's departure time. This information would have been helpful in deflecting blame away from the A's (had he left at the right time). This is more than simple foreknowledge but instead an indication that she could have a role in the actual conspiracy.

Had Wendi not visited the scene and more casually brought up Lacasse's travel plans, she may have completely insulated herself from any indication of (legal) wrongdoing.

It seems like the A's did a good job of keeping Wendi insulated, but she made a few missteps, which could very well lead to an eventual indictment.

As we know, she just couldn't help herself and had to go out of her way to see the crime scene. When she realized the police were present, she made her exit quite conspicuous in comparison to other motorists. Sure, she can claim it was just a coincidence, but in addition to her erratic behavior, she bought Bulleit brand whiskey for the party in the evening. Once again, she'd likely claim it was an unfortunate choice, but she just so happened to have a number of bad coincidences on the day of the murder.

In addition, according Lacasse, she made everyone use a busted TV to watch a movie - even though there was another perfectly good television available and the kids were complaining the whole time. This is pretty bizarre behavior, which I imagine was a byproduct of Wendi struggling to process what took place (or reveling in the crime).

I imagine all of this leads the state to believe that Wendi was well aware of what happened. Accordingly, if she did have foreknowledge, it means her whole police interrogation was a well executed farce. Wendi (and her brother) have leaned heavily on her willingness to submit herself to such an interrogation as evidence of her un-involvement. If the prosecution can demonstrate that she was aware of what was going to take place, Wendi's credibility would be considerably undermined. (She effectively spent hours with the police putting on a stage production.)

Of course, mere foreknowledge usually isn't enough to constitute a crime. Wendi's biggest blunder was her final date/conversation with Lacasse. I would imagine that the whole purpose of the final date was just to use it as an excuse to confirm his travel plans. It seems like she was so distracted by the plot and/or irritated by Jeff that she forgot to follow through with the purpose of the outing. After they had effectively broken up, she all of a sudden turns back on the charm in order confirm that he was leaving the next day.

They state will need more, but this blunder makes it clear she was particularly interested in Jeff's departure time. This information would have been helpful in deflecting blame away from the A's (had he left at the right time). This is more than simple foreknowledge but instead an indication that she could have a role in the actual conspiracy.

Had Wendi not visited the scene and more casually brought up Lacasse's travel plans, she may have completely insulated herself from any indication of (legal) wrongdoing.
Makes sense. I’m confused, though- the Tv was broken before the murder. It is strange that she made them watch the broken one. Are you saying she may have been struggling with her role in breaking it?

There’s no chance Wendi will be indicted. For all the reasons @FreddyG so aptly stated in their last post. Arguable inference of involvement is not enough. Knowledge of what was about to happen is not enough. If we’re split about the extent of Wendi’s involvement, jurors will be split too. That’s reasonable doubt. JMO

Makes sense. I’m confused, though- the Tv was broken before the murder. It is strange that she made them watch the broken one. Are you saying she may have been struggling with her role in breaking it?
Yeah, it's really strange behavior to try to watch something a completely busted TV when you have a perfectly working set in the other room and your kids are complaining the whole time. I'm no psychologist, but I have to imagine she was purposely making everyone use that TV for a reason. Either she felt some need to "torment" herself by looking right at the symbolism of Markel's death or (more perversely) she was actually enjoying the reminder of his demise. JMO.

Agreed. It just doesn’t seem very wise as a strategy. Better, in the first place, not to say the stuff to other people that you need to preemptively mitigate. And it seems unreasonable not to have known that the strategy would draw suspicion on the brother, preemptive or not. And LaCasse might not have been interviewed right away, although I suppose he would have eventually. Magbanua was never interviewed or even approached, despite the fact that the police were given Charlie as a lead. They didn’t even ask to interview Charlie, or investigate his life, which is unbelievable to me given all Wendi and LaCasse were saying. It took them a while, and lots of tower dumps, to find Magbanua, when interviewing even one friend of Charlie’s could’ve gotten her. She might have talked, this was way before the bump. Who knows?

If you have no knowledge, and you talk, it might not hurt you. If refuse to talk, it looks bad. But not as bad as if you have knowledge and you talk in an effort to seem like you don’t know anything. In that case, however bad it looks to say nothing and demand counsel, it is still the better thing to do. It’s hard to speak as though you don’t know what you know.

It could also just be that WA made a mistake. Even though she was in on the plot, being told your ex was murdered and then interrogated is a high stress experience. I imagine she felt an overwhelming combination of guilt, stress, fear, etc. So this might have led her to make over the course of a several hour interview some really bad missteps, such as mentioning the hit man "joke" (not funny and not actually a joke). For all her education and some degree of smarts, WA is actually not that astute at saying the best thing under examination. Why lie and say she had no idea how "jibbers" was spelled when it was in her cell phone, just to take one example? As Lacasse said, she's a compulsive liar and not a very good one.

There’s no chance Wendi will be indicted. For all the reasons @FreddyG so aptly stated in their last post. Arguable inference of involvement is not enough. Knowledge of what was about to happen is not enough. If we’re split about the extent of Wendi’s involvement, jurors will be split too. That’s reasonable doubt. JMO
I think saying there is no chance that Wendi will be indicted is too absolute especially given her dishonest and contradictory statements; also, there's a real indication that she was involved in setting up Lacasse. It may not be a murder charge, but it could be conspiracy. I concur that simply knowing about the crime isn't enough and that prosecution will need more evidence, but IMO Wendi has left herself open for an avenue for the prosecution to explore and quite possibility get what they need for some charge.

Now that CA has been convicted, I think there is momentum and the perfect time for Floridians to begin pressuring their representatives to introduce legislation similar to Texas and Ohio that actually enacted exceptions to 'no legal duty to report.'

For example, Texas made it mandatory to report higher offense crimes and failure to do so could lead to a misdemeanor, and in Ohio, it is illegal to not report a felony.

To be clear, there is no exception in Florida including knowing of a crime in advance and remaining silent. This is not actionable (not to be confused with not reporting in hopes to conceal a crime. A person who has knowledge of a crime, but covers it up to help the criminal, can actually be charged as an accessory to a crime. Here, it's actionable because it entails that the person was purposefully hiding information in order to cover for the criminal).

“Not everything that is morally correct can be legally mandated,” Cevallos said. “Morality is always going to be a larger circle than the law.”

This is not the first time that people have been known to stand by and watch a crime in progress without intervening.

Exception for Crimes Against Children:

In 2009, for example, police said that more than a dozen teens were aware that boys were gang-raping a 15-year-old girl outside a California high school homecoming dance, but did nothing to stop the horrific crime.

The police were hamstrung in their investigation because, while a California state law made it illegal not to report a witnessed crime against a child, it only applied to children 14 and under (similar mandatory reporter laws have been adopted across the country).

“We do not have the ability to arrest people who witnessed the crime and did nothing,” police in Richmond, California told CNN at the time. “The law can be very rigid. We don’t have the authority to make an arrest.”

I hope that Michelle Troconis and her legal team have been paying attention to this case-she is facing her own murder conspiracy trial in January. She may have thought that when her lover, Fotis Dulos, killed himself, she’d be off the hook. They didn’t drop the charges, and she is facing a witness who was alleged to be a part of the conspiracy with her-a lawyer…this isn’t going to go well for her, any more than this did for Charlie Adelson.

The one possibility that could change this is if CA flips and sells out his family. He's got no cards left to play and will die in jail assuming no relief on appeal (which is vanishingly unlikely--the trial was immaculately conducted). But it could be that he flips to get a better situation within the prison system or because he's a bitter angry dick who doesn't want to be the only one of the family to bear the cost of their crime.

I'm more bullish on CA selling out than others, but even I think it's less than 50% likely.

Yeah, it's really strange behavior to try to watch something a completely busted TV when you have a perfectly working set in the other room and your kids are complaining the whole time. I'm no psychologist, but I have to imagine she was purposely making everyone use that TV for a reason. Either she felt some need to "torment" herself by looking right at the symbolism of Markel's death or (more perversely) she was actually enjoying the reminder of his demise. JMO.
I think she was making everyone watch it because if the TV issue was resolved then she wouldn't need the Geek Squad to come--her alibi. If LaCasse replaced it or hooked up another working TV and the broken one was sitting in a corner someplace it would seem odd. She needed that TV to be broken and to be an active problem that needed to be fixed.

I think she was making everyone watch it because if the TV issue was resolved then she wouldn't need the Geek Squad to come--her alibi. If LaCasse replaced it or hooked up another working TV and the broken one was sitting in a corner someplace it would seem odd. She needed that TV to be broken and to be an active problem that needed to be fixed.
Makes sense. But it’s clumsy when you think it through. It did raise Jeff’s suspicions.

She forced her kids to watch a broken TV for weeks. She and her mom had Best Buy come assess the feasibility of fixing an obviously unfixable TV the morning of the murder. Her mom confirms the appointment and she texts her back "This is SWEET" and deletes it. After getting advice from a professional TV repairman, she STILL needs to confirm with her brother - who has now been found guilty of being the mastermind of the murder - whether it makes sense to fix it or replace it. This conversation is 18 minutes and 17 seconds.

This is the same TV her mastermind brother says he bought cause it was cheaper than hiring a hitmen, which is not true because the hitmen he actually did hire to kill Dan Markel during the exact window of time her broken TV is being assessed - was $100,000. She went to the furthest possible liquor store away from her house so she could drive past the crime scene using a short cut that is not a short cut. She admits in her police interview to driving on Trescott (which she now denies) and seeing the police tape.

She confirmed whether Dan Markel would be in town during the week of his murder and she made this confirmation at the same time she was having breakfast with her family members who almost certainly are guilty of planning and executing the murder. She is the only person connected to the conspiracy who would have any way of knowing that Dan Markel was flying out to NYC the next day and the murder had to happen on the 18th of July.

She is acting erratically and strange (and sick!) during both murder trips. She sends her boyfriend a "no contact" email a couple hours after demanding precise details about the time of his departure of his upcoming trip out of town. Its only the 2nd trip out of town he's taken in months, and the other trip was the first murder trip. The murderers rented silver cars for both trips - the first car was almost identical to his car at the time.

Then, there's all the circumstances after the murder. She tells the podcast that Dan Markel was likely killed by professional killers in 2015 before anyone in the public knew anything other than a Prius being involved. She was packing her childhood bedroom up weeks before the murder and then moved into it 2 days after the murder. She never spoke to police after July 20, 2014 but through her lawyers communicated how she and her family was fully cooperating with the investigation. She changed the kids names in any practical sense - 2 weeks after the murder and then officially 1 year later. There's so much more. She tried to get the Go Fund Me money and inquired through her lawyers about getting control of the Trust/Insurance policies. Despite not recieving 100% of the estate, she is still a major beneficiary of Dan Markels murder. She's actually the biggest winner. Financially, she doesnt have to pay lawyers, ker kids are set for life and she never has to save for their cars, houses, weddings or college. She recieves almost $5k/month in survivor benefits instead of the $800 per month in child support...AND she gets to move to Miami, which is the entire motive of this murder. There is no shortage of motive for Wendi in a Wendi trial. When Sigfredo is arrested - in her last conversations with Ruth Markel before severing the relationship between Ruth and her grandkids, she is fishing for information about what Ruth knows and who is getting arrested. She is frantic, but never bothers to phone the police to get information from them to solve the murder of her kids dad.

I think if this case went to a jury in 1993, its almost certainly a guilty verdict. I think there is still a case for conspiracy. But what are we missing? Almost all of the exculpatory evidence is from the bump (although its not ALL exculpatory). She's never on wires. She's not meeting anyone in secret. Which brings up an interesting counterfactual - what would have happened if SHE was the target in the bump? What would we know if her phones were wiretapped? We will never now. But I digress....there certainly is evidence on the wires that she might have been kept in the dark.

One thing about Wendi....as told by her friend Tamara Demko - is that she keeps everything close to the vest. Highly secretive. She's a planner but tells nobody her plans. Tamara was a good friend and she had no idea she was writing a book until it was released. She was planning the divorce for months with her lawyers and the legality of taking certain items and emptying out her share of bank accounts, without Dan or their friends having a clue.

On the other hand, she has all this built-in "plausible deniability". Why would I mention the hitman joke if I was apart of it? Why would I hand you my family? I didnt even bring up Jeff Lacasse, my friend did. etc etc etc. For all of those factors, I think it would be hard to win a case right now against her. But we only have the evidence that is public and the prosecution has used it very sparingly (like her text to DM about July 13-18). We have all Donna's incoming emails but none of Wendi's outgoing. We have seen maybe 2 or 3 of her texts during this time. Im guessing there is a lot more we don't know but obviously not quite enough for Cappleman to bring charges. Yet.

Makes sense. But it’s clumsy when you think it through. It did raise Jeff’s suspicions.
Exactly, that was the entire problem with the TV alibi to begin with. TV's are not worth repairing and are easily replaced. It sort of shows the arrogance the family had. They never thought anyone would dig deep enough to question why someone, especially someone with her level of wealth, would opt for a TV repair instead of a replacement. But for a lazy alibi it works out--TV's can be easily broken in a way that raises less suspicion. While a/cs and ovens, for example, aren't as easily broken by a lay person without raising the suspicions from the tech that it was sabotage.

Their other problem was they couldn't break a household appliance without the landlord being in charge of the repair. Otherwise, thinking about it now, a broken glass oven door would have worked out better. And it's something that doesn't require technical knowledge to break it without it looking like sabotage. And they are worth repairing usually.

The one possibility that could change this is if CA flips and sells out his family. He's got no cards left to play and will die in jail assuming no relief on appeal (which is vanishingly unlikely--the trial was immaculately conducted). But it could be that he flips to get a better situation within the prison system or because he's a bitter angry dick who doesn't want to be the only one of the family to bear the cost of their crime.

I'm more bullish on CA selling out than others, but even I think it's less than 50% likely.
This feels like a real possibility now that he's been found guilty. I think he expected to get off and reality will be setting in. Much as he loves his family (or so it seems) they've not even shown him any support during this process. I'm hopeful that while he certainly can't expect to get out of prison, he may give them up to get better conditions, location, etc.

Exactly, that was the entire problem with the TV alibi to begin with. TV's are not worth repairing and are easily replaced. It sort of shows the arrogance the family had. They never thought anyone would dig deep enough to question why someone, especially someone with her level of wealth, would opt for a TV repair instead of a replacement. But for a lazy alibi it works out--TV's can be easily broken in a way that raises less suspicion. While a/cs and ovens, for example, aren't as easily broken by a lay person without raising the suspicions from the tech that it was sabotage.

Their other problem was they couldn't break a household appliance without the landlord being in charge of the repair. Otherwise, thinking about it now, a broken glass oven door would have worked out better. And it's something that doesn't require technical knowledge to break it without it looking like sabotage. And they are worth repairing usually.
Some aspects of this crime seem like they were planned by someone who was born in the 1940’s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz