GUILTY FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen #20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not going for it. DA and even HA knew those jail calls were being recorded. And for sure CA knew also. I think everything that was said and revealed was in order to protect WA in the long run. Another tangled web those low life's wove together .
I think they knew the calls were recorded, but they didn’t know the phone was still connected. They weren’t talking to Charlie anymore.

As much as Charlie railed on Tallahassee, I bet Donna is going to go hard for a change of venue. I wonder if she'll get it.
I’m sure she’ll try. The judge will attempt to seat a jury before that will happen. Tallahassee is a state government and college town. Lots of in/outs in the population of Leon County. It’s been 9 years since Dan was murdered. Lots of news now, but it may be a year or two before the trial. The court will call hundreds. I believe the judge will be able to seat a jury, regardless of the faces DA will make during voir dire.

I’m sure she’ll try. The judge will attempt to seat a jury before that will happen. Tallahassee is a state government and college town. Lots of in/outs in the population of Leon County. It’s been 9 years since Dan was murdered. Lots of news now, but it may be a year or two before the trial. The court will call hundreds. I believe the judge will be able to seat a jury, regardless of the faces DA will make during voir dire.
I think that it’s reasonable that even a Miami jury might find the evidence sufficient to convict.

All -- you can quote me that You Tube "Pretty Little Lies and Alibis" (Gigi host) is WS approved to link on the main thread.

PL&A recently started a series on the Murder of Dan Markel, the trials, and alienation of his children, and I think the count is now at 8 episodes.

Gigi's videos are guest free and generally limited to about 45 minutes of factual information. IMO, she's a great source to keep current on a case or trial.

Agree with others, very interesting calls released. From what I put together, which may or may not be accurate since I have no first hand knowledge, there was another women that was part of the conversation where the call dropped CA. Therefore they would be careful to say that WA was NOT involved because of this bystander. I think the conversation with CA and primarily his mom where he was saying he should have trusted his instinct - was a message to them to flee the country. He said this over and over. I think the message from Rashbaum, which DA was desperate to know was conveyed in secrecy ( would a remote call from the road be private?) was some code, that DR may not know was code, that they were fleeing the country. The following call was clearly very teary all around and was a goodbye call. Call us anytime, this is when I CA will be in my next location from a visit, but the emotions all around from them was take care of yourself, truly this may be our last call, I have lots to do to make sure my tasks are done. Really really busy. But knowing the calls were recorded was call anytime. Does this ring as a possibility to others who have listened?

All -- you can quote me that You Tube "Pretty Little Lies and Alibis" (Gigi host) is WS approved to link on the main thread.

PL&A recently started a series on the Murder of Dan Markel, the trials, and alienation of his children, and I think the count is now at 8 episodes.

Gigi's videos are guest free and generally limited to about 45 minutes of factual information. IMO, she's a great source to keep current on a case or trial.

Totally agree. Gigi really crams a lot into each episode — all excellent, factual compilations.

Charlie's infamous Dolce Vita line -- "“If they had evidence, we would already have gone to the airport.” Yes, I think his gut was telling him to flee. I can't believe he didn't flee -- there was the 2016 probable cause affidavit for his arrest, he knew about the wiretaps, he knew about the Dolce Vita tape, LR and and SG were convicted... it was piling up. JMO.

Links to the first 4 of 8 thus far on this case. Also available on podcast.

https://twitter.com/PrettyLiesAlibi

https://twitter.com/PrettyLiesAlibi/status/1731947214694412309

I've now listened to a few hours of CA's jail calls. One thing that's striking is that he never once says: "I'm innocent! I was extorted! I told the truth on the stand! " If I were convicted of a crime I didn't commit, I'd be screaming "I'm innocent!" at the top of my lungs to anyone within earshot.

Most of CA's complaints are about how he could never get a fair trial in Tallahassee, how Cappleman bamboozled the jury by "painting a picture" and playing up her Southern accent, and how the jury never really deliberated. He doesn't spend much time at all on the actual evidence, and never on the evidence that points to his guilt (e.g., the Dolce Vita recording). The actual evidence he seems most focused on is Wendi's book, and the brief testimony by his ex-friend Ryan Fitzpatrick, whom he wants to remind everyone was NOT his "best friend." Both of those were extremely minor parts of the state's case, and I'm 100% sure he would have been convicted if neither had been mentioned in the trial at all.

It was also interesting to hear CA say that he basically has no chance on his appeal because the judge let in all the evidence the defense wanted to present.

It was also interesting to hear CA say that he basically has no chance on his appeal because the judge let in all the evidence the defense wanted to present.
RSBM -

I would agree with him on the appeal. IIRC, the statistic for successful appeals for defendants who took the stand is about 2%. Maybe Rash will dig up some juror misconduct or his appellate lawyer can argue that Georgia was using a fake Southern accent to curry favor with the jurors.

I've now listened to a few hours of CA's jail calls. One thing that's striking is that he never once says: "I'm innocent! I was extorted! I told the truth on the stand! " If I were convicted of a crime I didn't commit, I'd be screaming "I'm innocent!" at the top of my lungs to anyone within earshot.

Most of CA's complaints are about how he could never get a fair trial in Tallahassee, how Cappleman bamboozled the jury by "painting a picture" and playing up her Southern accent, and how the jury never really deliberated. He doesn't spend much time at all on the actual evidence, and never on the evidence that points to his guilt (e.g., the Dolce Vita recording). The actual evidence he seems most focused on is Wendi's book, and the brief testimony by his ex-friend Ryan Fitzpatrick, whom he wants to remind everyone was NOT his "best friend." Both of those were extremely minor parts of the state's case, and I'm 100% sure he would have been convicted if neither had been mentioned in the trial at all.

Indeed. Not a single mention in his call about his life-threatening extortion or Katie. I would have been cursing my extorter. He is already planning his future as a lifer, talking about protective management and an in person visit now and again in several months. He knows any appeal is a formality and his fate is sealed. Did anyone catch Bri asking if they should get married?

I'm not going for it. DA and even HA knew those jail calls were being recorded. And for sure CA knew also. I think everything that was said and revealed was in order to protect WA in the long run. Another tangled web those low life's wove together .
This! I’ve been swamped all day and it’s the first chance I’ve had to look at any of this. I was coming to post this to see what other people thought. I think they are playing 3-D chess. This was all part of a plan to try to let WendI have plausible deniability. They knew that Donna was going to be arrested at some point, so they decided to save WendI. WA will say that her family did this behind her back, she found out, and now she’s not speaking to them anymore. All that to me was performance art. I don’t believe it. The whole conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jazz1391