FL/GA/SC/NC - Hurricane Idalia, Aug 2023

Feel for those who made it through the hurricane and then later are flooded. That is what happened to my neighborhood during Hurricane Florence.
View attachment 443869
This photo is my neighborhood following Hurricane Florence. Sorry I had to reply to my own post, my mouse went dead. Made it through Florence just fine but eight hours after the storm, National Guard knocked on the door and gave us two minutes to grab medication and pets.

Oh no!
I was watching a webcam in Gulfport. The surge wasn't bad until most of the storm had passed to the north. The western winds in the southern part of the storm pushed all the water on shore. It wasn't particularly windy either. Just water coming in like a bad high tide. Around 5 am, downtown Gulfport was flooded.
______

I hope your mom and daughter are OK..Sounds like the worst is coming.

I saw a replay of it..Then I was watching JB and as he was cutting to random weather people a truck rolled up from Pasco County somewhere and the back was full of older middle-aged people and pups. The man said he took the dogs out for a walk and everything was okay, next thing he knew it was halfway up the side of the home....I told them, it's gonna come in fast if/when it comes and you aren't going to be able to get out. They are risk takers...I am a planner and a worrier! lol

When I see Gulfport I think of MS, I guess because I’ve been to Biloxi a few times.
I do too! Then I think Katrina...

What freaked me out during TS, Lucy (?), I can't remember now, but it was the deluge of fire ants that started invading our porch. I was freaked to the max, thinking that they were going to take over the house. The kids were little, they were screaming, and honestly, I was ready to join them.

But, no, Mommies are fearless. Of course. I was out there spraying poison on them. Brushing them off with a broom, there were so many.

Have you ever seen the videos of the fireant balls during a flood? I think it was after Harvey when they were so bad. How do you take a torch and burn it all down (spider remedy) when there is water everywhere?!?!

The center of Idalia is now heading into South Carolina. With maximum sustained winds of 70 mph, it's now a tropical storm again.

The heaviest rain is still soaking eastern Georgia into South Carolina and picking up in North Carolina. A few trailing outer bands of thunderstorms are still dragging across parts of the Florida Peninsula.

Tornado watches remain in effect for parts of coastal Georgia and South Carolina into the evening.

Mr Bobbitt survived:

Cedar Key, Fla., resident Michael Bobbitt rode out Hurricane Idalia at his home. He describes the experience and how his community will rebuild after the storm.

And again:

Mr. Bobbitt has not only survived, but has thrived......

I've seen him and his video footage ALL over TV and the internet today. Apparently he video blogged throughout the night. He has made numerous appears on MSM including Inside Edition, CNN and my local NBC news.

He is one very lucky man, this could have ended very badly for him. When he announced that his Plan B was a boat tied to his house, I really worried about him. Per his plan B once his house was flooded, he would then escape on his little boat to safety.

I don't think he had fully thought through the big picture of his boat escape. I'm envisioning the rapid water rise of the storm surge to the whitecaps caused by 130+ mph winds. I don't think his boat would have made it.

JMO

Tornado earlier in the Charleston, SC area (Goose Creek). Flipped a car on the interstate onto another car.

Video here:

Question for those in the Carolinas. Other than the obvious difference in Hurricaine Category (1-5), what are the different characteristics of a Hurricane that arrives via the Gulf Coast and those that hitting directly from the Atlantic?

I've been to Florida many many times, but I've only driven through the Carolina's once with one quick overnight stop in Savannah.

Slightly O/T, my daughters are traveling to Charleston this fall for the first time. Any 'must see' suggestions?

Prayers for everyone's safety in the coming days.

JMO

Florida prays Idalia won’t join long list of destructive storms with names starting with ‘I’​

Notorious I-storms in recent memory have included:

HURRICANE ISABEL
The 2003 storm reached Category 5 strength over the Atlantic. Though it weakened before making landfall on North Carolina’s Outer Banks, its winds caused extensive damage. More than 8 feet (2.4 meters) of seawater flooded rivers across the Chesapeake Bay region, according to accounts from the National Weather Service. The hurricane was blamed for 17 deaths.

HURRICANE IVAN
Ivan tore through Grand Cayman island in 2004, damaging or destroying an estimated 95 percent of the buildings there, the National Weather Service said. Then, it slammed into the United States near Gulf Shores, Alabama, spawning more than 100 tornadoes as it moved inland. More than 92 people were killed.

HURRICANE IKE
Ike “left a long trail of death and destruction” in Haiti, Cuba and the United States in 2008, the weather service said. An estimated 74 people in Haiti were killed by flooding and mudslides, the agency said. Later, it struck the U.S. as a Category 2 hurricane at Galveston Island in Texas.

HURRICANE IRMA
Irma was the most powerful hurricane ever recorded in the open Atlantic Ocean when it took aim at several Caribbean islands in 2017, according to the National Weather Service. The Category 5 storm had sustained winds of up to 185 mph (295 kph). As it approached Antigua, officials announced the closing of the airport with an ominous message: “May God protect us all.” Irma destroyed an estimated 90 percent of the structures on Barbuda, one of the hardest-hit islands. But several other islands, including Anguilla; the U.S. and British Virgin Islands; the French territory of St. Martin and the neighboring Dutch territory of St. Maarten all reported deaths and widespread damage.

HURRICANE IDA
Ida slammed into the Louisiana coast with winds of up to 150 mph in 2021, knocking out power to hundreds of thousands of people across New Orleans and nearby parishes. The deaths included at least five nursing home residents who were among about 800 elderly residents sent to a warehouse to try and survive the storm.

HURRICANE IAN
Ian struck Cuba as a major hurricane in 2022, bringing down the nation’s electric grid and causing blackouts across large parts of the island nation. Later, as a Category 4 hurricane, it slammed into Florida’s Gulf Coast, flooding houses on both coasts of the state, destroying reefs and bringing “red tide” algae to Gulf waters. Ian was blamed for more than 100 deaths, most of them in Florida.

Florida prays Idalia won’t join long list of destructive storms with names starting with ‘I’​

Notorious I-storms in recent memory have included:

HURRICANE ISABEL
The 2003 storm reached Category 5 strength over the Atlantic. Though it weakened before making landfall on North Carolina’s Outer Banks, its winds caused extensive damage. More than 8 feet (2.4 meters) of seawater flooded rivers across the Chesapeake Bay region, according to accounts from the National Weather Service. The hurricane was blamed for 17 deaths.

HURRICANE IVAN
Ivan tore through Grand Cayman island in 2004, damaging or destroying an estimated 95 percent of the buildings there, the National Weather Service said. Then, it slammed into the United States near Gulf Shores, Alabama, spawning more than 100 tornadoes as it moved inland. More than 92 people were killed.

HURRICANE IKE
Ike “left a long trail of death and destruction” in Haiti, Cuba and the United States in 2008, the weather service said. An estimated 74 people in Haiti were killed by flooding and mudslides, the agency said. Later, it struck the U.S. as a Category 2 hurricane at Galveston Island in Texas.

HURRICANE IRMA
Irma was the most powerful hurricane ever recorded in the open Atlantic Ocean when it took aim at several Caribbean islands in 2017, according to the National Weather Service. The Category 5 storm had sustained winds of up to 185 mph (295 kph). As it approached Antigua, officials announced the closing of the airport with an ominous message: “May God protect us all.” Irma destroyed an estimated 90 percent of the structures on Barbuda, one of the hardest-hit islands. But several other islands, including Anguilla; the U.S. and British Virgin Islands; the French territory of St. Martin and the neighboring Dutch territory of St. Maarten all reported deaths and widespread damage.

HURRICANE IDA
Ida slammed into the Louisiana coast with winds of up to 150 mph in 2021, knocking out power to hundreds of thousands of people across New Orleans and nearby parishes. The deaths included at least five nursing home residents who were among about 800 elderly residents sent to a warehouse to try and survive the storm.

HURRICANE IAN
Ian struck Cuba as a major hurricane in 2022, bringing down the nation’s electric grid and causing blackouts across large parts of the island nation. Later, as a Category 4 hurricane, it slammed into Florida’s Gulf Coast, flooding houses on both coasts of the state, destroying reefs and bringing “red tide” algae to Gulf waters. Ian was blamed for more than 100 deaths, most of them in Florida.
Isn't "I" cursed anyway?

And isn't Idelia simply "I" added to "Delia"?

I'm wondering if they should just get rid of "I"?

Images show Hurricane Idalia damage in Florida: "Going downhill fast"​

Makatla Ritchter, left, and her mother, Keiphra Line,  wade through flood waters after having to evacuate their home during Hurricane Idalia on August 30, 2023, in Tarpon Springs, Florida.  / Credit: Getty Images

A City of Tallahassee electrical worker assesses damage to power lines after a tree fell as Hurricane Idalia made landfall. / Credit: Phil Sears / AP

Reporters wade through flood waters inundating the downtown area after Hurricane Idalia passed offshore on August 30, 2023, in Tarpon Springs, Florida. / Credit: Getty Images

A person canoes through the flooded streets caused by Hurricane Idalia on August 30, 2023, in Tarpon Springs, Florida.  / Credit: Getty Images

Ken Kruse looks out at the flood waters from Hurricane Idalia surrounding his apartment complex on August 30, 2023, in Tarpon Springs, Florida. / Credit: / Getty Images

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fesmike
Back