FL - Girl, 6, Charged With Felony For Kicking Teacher's Aide

Cyber, your post did nothing to change the facts of the situation. The fact is that the teacher didn't handle the situation according to the guidlines set in place. The fact is that this child has emotional problems. The fact is that she's SIX years old. Now, for whatever reason, the adult who couldn't handle the situation decided to press charges. That's her right. However, all it will do, in my opinion, is give this girl a glimpse into her future because ADULTS are too lazy to deal with her problems the way they're supposed to. She'll learn that there's no one to turn to when she's got a problem. Her mental illness will become worse and she'll either hurt herself or someone else severely because people wanted to shove pills into her mouth and lock her away.

Excellent post, CyberLaw. This case is more than a provocative headline.

I disagree with some of these comments. Blaming this child's actions on "poor parenting" is pure speculation. What evidence is there that the mother is a poor parent? I think that's a really cheap shot. How on earth would any of us know how this mother parents her child?

Obviously this child has anger management issues and poor impulse control. She also has a diagnosed behavioral problem and an educational plan to address it. My nephew has ADHD and Reactive Attachment Disorder (he was adopted at six months old). My sister should be nominated for sainthood for what she went through with him. I, personally, would have given him back to the adoption agency, rather than go through what she did. Today, he is doing much better thanks to a lot of therapy, great parenting and some excellent educational work by dedicated special ed teachers AND aides who occasionally suffered hits, punches and kicks from some of the kids they serve. Those of you who have no exposure to these unfortunate children would do well to avoid criticizing the parenting skills of people like this mother.

I don't condone the little girl's actions at all. She should have received immediate, APPROPRIATE punishment. But I also think arresting a six year old is complete and utter overkill.

Freakin Florida???

Teachers aide prolly needed it..

Seriously.. This is freakin ridiculous. THIS IS A SPECIAL ED CHILD!?!??!?
what the hell? She is SIX!!
Does NO ONE have common sense anymore???

This CHILD is a child a 6 year old!!!

What help?? This child is special ed which means she obviously has some disorder or disability.
What the hell?
So they arrest a SIX YEAR OLD disabled child??

There is a crime here and IT is not committed by a six year old but the adults who would do this.

Edit to Add...... WAHAHAHHA the six year old kicked me!!! Freakin Aide needs to grow up. Also when its a disabled child BY LAW the school must impliment a positive behavoirial plan.

It must be admitted that there seems to be a lot of abuse of the diagnosis of ADHD. (Act nuts, so we will continue to receive checks. Here, give that child these pills, etc.) That having been said, there really ARE children who have severe problems and IEP's (individualized educational plans) are created for them. This child had an IEP and it was not followed. To all the people who say children with problems are brats and not raised properly, thank your God you do not have to live with some of these problems. If they could be seen like a limp or a missing limb, no one would doubt their existence, but they are every bit as real in many cases. Unfortunately I know this to be true.

Opie said:
It must be admitted that there seems to be a lot of abuse of the diagnosis of ADHD. (Act nuts, so we will continue to receive checks. Here, give that child these pills, etc.) That having been said, there really ARE children who have severe problems and IEP's (individualized educational plans) are created for them. This child had an IEP and it was not followed. To all the people who say children with problems are brats and not raised properly, thank your God you do not have to live with some of these problems. If they could be seen like a limp or a missing limb, no one would doubt their existence, but they are every bit as real in many cases. Unfortunately I know this to be true.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: awsome post!

This really upsets me too. I think a six year old is still a baby, almost. This is so unfair. In my opinion there is something very wrong here! All I could think about while reading this whole thread was how my sons (no disabilities) acted when they were six years old. They were still learning all about life and that it couldn't always be their way--but they certainly didn't understand how it all worked when they were six. I am angry at the system--and the adults involved--the situation certainly wasn't handled appropriately that is for sure!Someone needs to answer to this, and action needs to be taken--AND not against the poor six year old!! :furious:

Amraann said:
This CHILD is a child a 6 year old!!!

What help?? This child is special ed which means she obviously has some disorder or disability.
What the hell?
So they arrest a SIX YEAR OLD disabled child??

There is a crime here and IT is not committed by a six year old but the adults who would do this.

Edit to Add...... WAHAHAHHA the six year old kicked me!!! Freakin Aide needs to grow up. Also when its a disabled child BY LAW the school must impliment a positive behavoirial plan.
I agree! The people criticizing the mother have no idea what behavior problems children with special needs can be. Just because they are 6 doesn't mean they know right from wrong. The girl had no business reacting by kicking, but COME ON, the aide invalidated her concerns about her broken pencil, and now this little girl has a felony record! How traumatic for a scared little girl to have to be in JAIL for 4 hours! They're treating her like a criminal. Want to guarantee she'll be a problem in the future? Lock her up now. Why wasn't a time-out or other punishment sufficient?????:doh:

lisag said:
This is rediculous!!!

Let's worry about and spend our money on the REAL criminals in the world, not a 6 year old special ed child!!
Ya and not let a child molester out because he's to short.....:razz:

I have never been TO'd, never banned...if I were to say what is on my mind right now, that would change real quick.

I am so annoyed, aggravated, dissappointed, and shocked at the ignorance of some of the comments being made on this thread. If I were say what is on my mind right now, and if I were to address some of you, I surely would be To'd....and I have too much work to do. So, not gonna do it!

I will say, give some effort, do a little research, before you post on things you know absolutely nothing about! You might learn something.

I thought I'd get the research started for those who don't seem to understand what ADHD is, and what causes it....

what_causes_adhd.gif

If a student in your class has been diagnosed with ADHD, his or her parents may be asking themselves, "Why our child—did we do something to cause this? Who is to blame?" While the causes of ADHD are not entirely clear, it is believed that the disorder is caused by biological factors.

Heredity
ADHD tends to run in families, which means that genes may play a role. Most children with ADHD have at least one family member with the disorder.

Changes in Brain Function
Studies show that the brains of children with ADHD may function differently than those of other children. These children may have an imbalance of chemicals in the brain that help to regulate behavior.

What Does NOT Cause ADHD
bullet.gif
Poor parenting
bullet.gif
Family problems
bullet.gif
Bad teachers
bullet.gif
Ineffective schools
bullet.gif
Too much television
bullet.gif
Refined sugar
bullet.gif
Food allergies

http://www.adhdinfo.com/info/school/about/sch_what_causes_adhd.jsp?checked=y

LOTS OF INFO AT THIS SITE....SOME OF YOU REALLY NEED TO READ.

Myth:
Poor parenting is responsible for ADHD behaviors in children.

Fact:
ADHD is a physical disorder caused by differences in how the child's brain works. Anxiety-producing factors, such as family conflicts or disruptions, can aggravate the disorder, but they do not cause it.

I do not have ADHD, neither do any of my children, but I do know adults and children that do suffer with this disease.

Jeana (DP) said:
Cyber, your post did nothing to change the facts of the situation. The fact is that the teacher didn't handle the situation according to the guidlines set in place. The fact is that this child has emotional problems. The fact is that she's SIX years old. Now, for whatever reason, the adult who couldn't handle the situation decided to press charges. That's her right. However, all it will do, in my opinion, is give this girl a glimpse into her future because ADULTS are too lazy to deal with her problems the way they're supposed to. She'll learn that there's no one to turn to when she's got a problem. Her mental illness will become worse and she'll either hurt herself or someone else severely because people wanted to shove pills into her mouth and lock her away.
That's exactly what I was thinking .The person in charge of a class of emotionally disturbed six year olds is either unqualified for her position , or is putting the six year old on her level , by pressing charges .Either way , it won't help this little girl . I have to wonder if these kids were merely rounded up into a "special class''and simply tolerated ( or NOT , as in this case ).
I'm not saying the child was abused-but violent kids usually come from homes where they have witnessed( or experienced ) violence . They learn from what they see . Once , after speaking to a child who was trying to bully , intimidate & beat up my son , a week later , he was at it again ; so I went to the parents . I was immediately sorry I did . The mom cowered behind the boys' father, and the father began to let me know in no uncertain terms the the boy would "get it ".I then tried reasoning with him-that boys will be boys, and I would rather they be friends than enemies .Before we left , I managed to encourage the boys to be friends .That was a lesson for my son , to understand why this other boy was always so mean .I have seen this time and again-with other kids. Who knows what or if this little girl had a traumatic event -event possibly unknown to her mom-in her young life. She needs treatment and help to shape her behavior out in the world . At age six , jail could be setting her up to fail .
I read that her mom went along when the girl was removed from the school. In her wildest dreams , she couldn't have known they would incarcerate the little girl .At least this mom was available and interested . Many parents are no where to be found . I hope this child gets the help she deserves. That isn't a felony conviction at six years old . :doh:

I am not questioning the ADHD, but I can tell you this:

The child has "significant" behavorial problems that are not caused by ADHD

Children are not born "having" problems with anyone in authority, they learn it.

Children are not born, with lashing out violently at people, children or whomever, they learn it.

Children are not born learning to handle their problems with violence, it is a learned behavior, which if not corrected with proper discipline methods, then that is how they conduct their lives.

I am sure this is not the first time this child has "displayed" her violence, I would put money that the school has tried other methods, to no avail. Obviously this girl just does "not get it" but maybe now she will as there are more serious consequences to her "actions".

It is not like her behavoir will get better over time........that "suddenly" the core personality traits will change and her behavoir will change for the better. It is not the schools job to co-parent the child.

The child's is now in school, now the "child" problems of ineffective or indifferent parenting are now the "schools problem, the educational systems problems, the teachers problems and now the other students problems. Actually now the problem of society.

If there is a child that has a problems with authority, reacts violently to any perceived sense of injustice, demands immediately resolution to her problems, is violent, lashing out in anger, then I can say without a doubt that this child now and as she grows older will have involvement with the criminal justice system.

Who knows what she will do at eight, 10, 12, 14, 16.

Let hope her next "assault" is only a teacher and not another student.

Or she feels "threatened" because the teachers in "authority" are making her do something that she does not want to do. Or someone else, like a Police Officer or a supervisor at her job.

Lets hope she does not bring "a readily" available gun to school at age 11 or 12 and do a Columbine.

Because after all she feels like the school and students are "unfair" to her and that "she feels a sense of a perceived slight" that she is angry at the school and students.......

With my kids, I won't let any of them "blame" the pets or anyone else for their conduct or behavoir. I hold them all responsible, accountable and with the appropriate consequences for their conduct.

That is just how life and society works.......

It should be noted that No Child Left Behind basically designates special education degrees useless. Many schools are "letting go" the special education staff to free funds to hire "highly qualified" teachers. These "highly qualified" teachers have degrees in subject/content areas, but NO educational backgrounds. Just because one can pass a test does not make one a teacher, nor "highly qualified."
While I don't know what degrees the teacher or her aide possessed, it is entirely possible that either one or both don't have the education needed to deal with these children. This situation will repeatedly occur until "the powers that be" understand the need for special education and special education teachers.

I still am willing to bet that there is MUCH more to this story than we know. I will be waiting to see what becomes of this.

CyberLaw said:
I am not questioning the ADHD, but I can tell you this:

The child has "significant" behavorial problems that are not caused by ADHD

Children are not born "having" problems with anyone in authority, they learn it.

Children are not born, with lashing out violently at people, children or whomever, they learn it.

Children are not born learning to handle their problems with violence, it is a learned behavior, which if not corrected with proper discipline methods, then that is how they conduct their lives.

I am sure this is not the first time this child has "displayed" her violence, I would put money that the school has tried other methods, to no avail. Obviously this girl just does "not get it" but maybe now she will as there are more serious consequences to her "actions".

It is not like her behavoir will get better over time........that "suddenly" the core personality traits will change and her behavoir will change for the better. It is not the schools job to co-parent the child.

The child's is now in school, now the "child" problems of ineffective or indifferent parenting are now the "schools problem, the educational systems problems, the teachers problems and now the other students problems. Actually now the problem of society.

If there is a child that has a problems with authority, reacts violently to any perceived sense of injustice, demands immediately resolution to her problems, is violent, lashing out in anger, then I can say without a doubt that this child now and as she grows older will have involvement with the criminal justice system.

Who knows what she will do at eight, 10, 12, 14, 16.

Let hope her next "assault" is only a teacher and not another student.

Or she feels "threatened" because the teachers in "authority" are making her do something that she does not want to do. Or someone else, like a Police Officer or a supervisor at her job.

Lets hope she does not bring "a readily" available gun to school at age 11 or 12 and do a Columbine.

Because after all she feels like the school and students are "unfair" to her and that "she feels a sense of a perceived slight" that she is angry at the school and students.......

With my kids, I won't let any of them "blame" the pets or anyone else for their conduct or behavoir. I hold them all responsible, accountable and with the appropriate consequences for their conduct.

You have made alot of assumptions about how children with issues get that way. It is obvious that you have been blessed with "normal" children. I have been around children with special needs (some severe, some not so much). What is a common theme is that they require extra effort when it comes to social skills. Most of the parents of these children work very hard with their children and schools to help them succeed. Until you have had to walk in their shoes, you can never imagine what it is like. I am sad for you that you have so little compassion. Enjoy your children and be thankful that they "get it". It is not that easy for some.

CyberLaw said:

And the above is why a behavior program with a written plan of care is made for these special kids. As with anything if the plan of care isn't carried out to the letter each and every time it just won't work. I know of what I speak. Been there, done that and still doing it.

Six years old is pretty young to throw in the towel.I would want to authorities to research whether or not she is/was being molested. Anger problems at that young age have a root. In any case, a felon she is not.

I am not too quick to question the parents skills if anyone has ever read crimes in the news. It happens. Everything has to be looked at.

I also believe in the past doctors were quick to give a diagnosis of ADHD and prescribe pills so no other prodding was necessary. This is just my experience and MOO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back