Still Missing FL - Isabella Hellmann, 41, catamaran off Cay Sal, FL Keys,14 May 2017 #2 *GUILTY*

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by Greater Than, Jun 11, 2017.

1. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/p...ett-arrested-stolen-coins-20170828-story.html

I linked above, the article says that there were 158 “Year of the Horse” English silver coins.
    https://www.silvertowne.com/p-23452...rse-the-first-uk-lunar-coins-ever-minted.aspx

Here is a link to a Canadian Maple Leaf coin:
    https://www.blanchardgold.com/produ...JCw_24yIaCLR0KI9L0R9BhOZwxRMkfh_4YaApeF8P8HAQ

2. meanmaryjean

meanmaryjean Verified RN (Pediatrics Specialty)

this!

3. SuperTmo

SuperTmo Well-Known Member

I wonder what kind of gold coins the 162 they found in his closet were. It doesn't sound like they were 1oz bullion coins since they said the value of them was less than $30,000. Gold is somewhere in the range of $4000.00 an ounce.

4. cbeagle

cbeagle Member

In US$ it's around US$1326 at the moment. https://www.jmbullion.com/charts/gold-price/#

5. SuperTmo

A little off topic but... I just ordered one of those horse coins for my daughter. She loves horses and has been riding since she was 3. She is 9 and spent this entire summer rehabbing her pony after he almost died and spent 3 weeks at the large animal hospital at Oregon State. She measures out all his meals (3 a day) on a scale making sure he gets exactly the right amount of each supplement and has exercised him every day and finally he is well enough to ride again! I think that I will give this to her to show my appreciation for how dedicated she is to him.

6. SuperTmo

7. LietKynes

LietKynes "Law is the ultimate science" Liet Kynes

RSBM

According to what I've been able to find --and it wasn't recent-- is that the baby is in his custody ; and her family has not been allowed to visit the baby girl.
    If true, it's cruel of him !

I'll try to locate a source for that.
    :moo:

8. GigTu

GigTu ѧѦ ѧ︵ ̧̱ι̵̱̊ι̶̨̱ ̶̱ ︵Ѧѧ︵ ̵̗̊o̵̖ ︵ѧѦ Ѧ ѧ

VERY important to have this person investigated, which I'm sure is already underway.

9. JerseyGirl

How does the FBI get ahold of him if he stays in Australia?

10. GigTu

If coins are stolen and moved across international waters, I don't think it's a stretch for US officials to be in direct contact with Australian officials about it. I have no doubt they are all cooperating with each other to recover the stolen goods AND SOLVE A MURDER.

11. kbissing

kbissing New Member

So was it the business partner he stole the coins from or someone different? A bit confused -sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. darring21

darring21 My comments are IMO JMO MOO AFAIK etc.

I wonder if this was a money laundering situation involving drugs or something.

13. GigTu

If you read the article it says this is about stolen coins, and nothing about drugs. I have a feeling this is how LB really makes his income - swindling, stealing and selling valuables - not as a plumber or solar panel salesman. Those are probably just covers to evade tax fraud probing. I'm sure he has partners as well. I think Isabella found him suspicious and he planned this "honeymoon" to rid himself of her, take the baby and run with her assets. I have a feeling he has done this before with other women too (maybe not the baby part, but who knows...). So where is the baby? Was little Emilia just another commodity to be sold on the market?

As far as the theft goes, LB could be a small fish in a much larger ring. We shall see.

14. j_in_c

j_in_c Well-Known Member

Wow! I know there were a few nautical folks on here in the early days of this thread - can any of you comment on the "14 gallons of water" he had with him in the life raft? The items listed bring a lot of suspicion that he planned to be in the lifeboat potentially for a long time awaiting rescue and wanted to ensure survival. Under normal circumstances this makes sense, but in an emergency situation I would imagine you are lucky to have a few gallons of water and the beacon.
    Thoughts from anyone with actual nautical experience?

15. darring21

darring21 My comments are IMO JMO MOO AFAIK etc.

Someone with @ $50,000 in untraceable coins just left it on his boat unguarded sounds questionable. Perhaps it was payment and reported stolen for tax reasons?

16. JerseyGirl

LOUIS BENNETT BEING HELD WITHOUT BOND

The husband of a Delray Beach real-estate agent missing at sea will be held without bond on an unrelated charge, a judge ruled Tuesday.

Lewis Bennett will have a bond hearing Friday afternoon on charges that he stole more than $100,000 in coins from a boat in the Caribbean on which he was first mate. His arraignment will be Sept. 11.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/b...red-held-without-bond/vIHzUj8ZfEAeBTfaVrusfO/

17. JerseyGirl

18. MelmothTheLost

MelmothTheLost Well-Known Member

The price of bullion coins is often quoted in USD since bullion prices are quoted internationally in USD.

Probably these: https://www.bleyerbullion.co.uk/1oz-silver-lunar-year-of-the-horse

19. SuperTmo

Right. They moved to the U.K. But he came back and got arrested. Did he bring the baby on the trip with him? Now that he is in jail I hold her family gets the baby.

20. MelmothTheLost

MelmothTheLost Well-Known Member

It's possible LB stole them from the original captain, but that the latter was using them for money laundering/drug payments. This was the Caribbean, after all. Having said that, $100,000 is pretty small beer for an international drug running operation.

Agreed - very plausible.

Yep. It's certainly plausible.