FL - Sade Dixon, 24, & Sgt. Debra Clayton, 42, slain, Orlando, Dec 2016 & Jan 2017 *Guilty of Dixon*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am astounded all states do not have the same laws as Minnesota. When any emergency vehicle has lights and or sirens, you pull into the right shoulder or as far right as you can and STOP! Big fines if you do not.

I thought tjis sensible law would be everywhere. Do people get to pass stopped school buses as well? No way in MN

I am astounded all states do not have the same laws as Minnesota. When any emergency vehicle has lights and or sirens, you pull into the right shoulder or as far right as you can and STOP! Big fines if you do not.

I thought tjis sensible law would be everywhere. Do people get to pass stopped school buses as well? No way in MN

Pretty much the same here. As soon as safely possible.

Pretty much the same here. As soon as safely possible.

That is the key that a lot of people dont understand. So many people just immediately freak out when they see flashing lights or hear sirens and then immediately stop in very unsafe road conditions with other people barreling up behind them.

People need to have common sense.

If people would educate themselves more with how to handle emergency vehicles then I do believe we could save lives and prevent severe accidents. Common sense should apply but it tends to go out the window.

Ive been in so many situations where someone totally freaks out and basically slams on their brakes even in heavy fast traffic. I have had to slam on my brakes to keep from hitting people that do that and then I almost get rear ended too.

Its not how its supposed to be handled. You are supposed to calmly but quickly move over and stop as soon as its safe to do so. I am pretty sure LE does not want us to wreck someone in the process. LOL

People are so afraid they will be ticketed or something. I can assure you the emergency vehicle is not out to ticket people in those situations. They just want to get where they are going alive and safe.

This is from Ontarios driver handbook. I do see why people get confused. On one hand they say immediately stop but further down we see to take the time you need to do it safely.

Its no wonder people get confused. There is a huge need to have these instructions rewritten to be perfectly clear for people. Some public service announcements would be really good for this.

From the handbook lets look at the contradictions and making it more confusing than it needs to be. How about just saying to use common sense to slow down and stop as quickly and safely as you can. The End. :)

"When an emergency vehicle is approaching your vehicle from any direction with its flashing red or red and blue lights, or siren or bell sounding, you are required to bring your vehicle to an immediate stop."

"Use extreme caution when stopping your vehicle because other drivers may not yet be aware of or are already reacting to the approaching emergency vehicle
. Look to the front, both sides and toward the rear of your vehicle, signal your intention to pull over well in advance and begin to adjust your vehicle’s speed to merge with any traffic to the side you are pulling to. Once you have moved your vehicle to the side, brake gradually as required and bring your vehicle to a safe stop. Avoid any sudden changes in direction or excessive braking and be aware of any vehicles approaching fast to the rear of your vehicle."

"If you are in an intersection and preparing to make a turn when an emergency vehicle is approaching, you should abandon the turn and clear the intersection by proceeding straight when safe to do so, then pull to the right and stop."

"React quickly but calmly. Don’t slam on the brakes or pull over suddenly. Use your signals to alert other drivers you intend to pull over."

"Pull to the right and gradually come to a stop."

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/section2.10.11.shtml

That is the key that a lot of people dont understand. So many people just immediately freak out when they see flashing lights or hear sirens and then immediately stop in very unsafe road conditions with other people barreling up behind them.

People need to have common sense.

If people would educate themselves more with how to handle emergency vehicles then I do believe we could save lives and prevent severe accidents. Common sense should apply but it tends to go out the window.

Ive been in so many situations where someone totally freaks out and basically slams on their brakes even in heavy fast traffic. I have had to slam on my brakes to keep from hitting people that do that and then I almost get rear ended too.

Its not how its supposed to be handled. You are supposed to calmly but quickly move over and stop as soon as its safe to do so. I am pretty sure LE does not want us to wreck someone in the process. LOL

People are so afraid they will be ticketed or something. I can assure you the emergency vehicle is not out to ticket people in those situations. They just want to get where they are going alive and safe.

This is from Ontarios driver handbook. I do see why people get confused. On one hand they say immediately stop but further down we see to take the time you need to do it safely.

Its no wonder people get confused. There is a huge need to have these instructions rewritten to be perfectly clear for people. Some public service announcements would be really good for this.

From the handbook lets look at the contradictions and making it more confusing than it needs to be. How about just saying to use common sense to slow down and stop as quickly and safely as you can. The End. :)

"When an emergency vehicle is approaching your vehicle from any direction with its flashing red or red and blue lights, or siren or bell sounding, you are required to bring your vehicle to an immediate stop."

"Use extreme caution when stopping your vehicle because other drivers may not yet be aware of or are already reacting to the approaching emergency vehicle
. Look to the front, both sides and toward the rear of your vehicle, signal your intention to pull over well in advance and begin to adjust your vehicle’s speed to merge with any traffic to the side you are pulling to. Once you have moved your vehicle to the side, brake gradually as required and bring your vehicle to a safe stop. Avoid any sudden changes in direction or excessive braking and be aware of any vehicles approaching fast to the rear of your vehicle."

"If you are in an intersection and preparing to make a turn when an emergency vehicle is approaching, you should abandon the turn and clear the intersection by proceeding straight when safe to do so, then pull to the right and stop."

"React quickly but calmly. Don’t slam on the brakes or pull over suddenly. Use your signals to alert other drivers you intend to pull over."

"Pull to the right and gradually come to a stop."

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/section2.10.11.shtml

They go into detail. Ours is fairly straightforward in the grand scheme of things. I think your idea of an occasional PSA is a good one. You should submit that idea! Here's how ours reads:

[FONT=&amp]When motorists are within 500 feet of an emergency vehicle that is exhibiting an audible siren, whistle or bell and flashing red or blue lights "the driver of every other vehicle shall yield the right-of-way, immediately drive to a position parallel to, and as close as possible to, the edge or curb of the highway clear of any intersection, and stop and remain in such a position until the emergency vehicle has passed, except when otherwise directed by a police officer or firefighter."

[/FONT]
To have been written by someone in state gov't., I thought they did a fairly good job... :D There's more to it, such as, if the vehicle is stopped, etc... but that's the basic driving portion. Op had also made mention of us motorcyclists, and traffic, and watching out for others, rather than thinking that anyone watches out for us. That is also what I was taught when I took the training back in the 90s. I ride like I'm invisible to others. It's saved my hide on more than one occasion.

There is a manhunt for him now because he killed an officer.

Had there been this intense search for him after killing his ex girlfriend, the baby she was carrying, and severely injuring her brother, this officer would not have been shot.

The ex girlfriend was an important person to many. She just didn't have the distinct title of being a member of LE. This always happens, when an officer is killed in the line of duty, finding the offender is a manhunt! What if the same amount of energy and number of LE had looked for ML in Dec when he first committed that murder?

<modsnip>

There is a reason why a strong LE response is given when one is shot and killed in the line of duty.These brave men and women go out every day putting their lives on the line to catch robbers,rapists and killers who do not want to be caught.They do this every day to protect the rest of us who do not break laws.They have a greater chance of being gunned down everyday at anytime.The possibility of that happening to you or I is far less.The penalty for killing an officer is harsher and if you can kill a cop,no one is safe from you,hence the police reaction.
Please leave your personal opinions on LE for another thread.

I believe that is the law in all 50 states, plus most foreign countries where driving is on the right. Though there are slight variations in the laws, but the basic law is the same. In many places varying numbers of drivers, are confused as to what they should do when EVs approach. So compliance with the law is not always great.

I fear enough time has gone by for him to get out of area

I fear enough time has gone by for him to get out of area

Me too. This guy is having the time of his life knowing he achieved his goal to be Most Wanted (not sure if he is officially on that list, but ykwim) and is evading LE.

Grrrrrr

Get this guy!

Me too. This guy is having the time of his life knowing he achieved his goal to be Most Wanted (not sure if he is officially on that list, but ykwim) and is evading LE.

Grrrrrr

Get this guy!

He is truly scary- he has been capable of murdering since the 90's that a long time criminal thinking patterns to settle in.

It really would be easier if he killed himself - sounds so awful - he give me the creeps.

I would be too scared to say this on global media!!

[FONT=&amp]A murder suspect who fatally shot an Orlando police sergeant doesn't deserve to live, the officer's grieving relative says.[/FONT]
"I want them to shoot him. I want them to take his life," Francine Thomas, cousin of slain Police Master Sgt. Debra Clayton, told NBC affiliate WESH in Orlando. "I don't think he deserves to live because he didn't consider that Debra would not have been the typical cop."

Others interviewed about Loyd asked that their names not be used because they feared for their safety.

Within six months of their April, 22, 2015 wedding, Loyd faced domestic violence charges against Robinson, but they were dismissed. One family member said he fired shots at Robinson in October 2015.

When he was 21 in 1996, he faced murder charges that were later dropped.
Loyd and three others were charged in the death of Keith Hall on Nov. 17, 1995. The 24-year-old victim had been shot several times at his home on East Wallace Street near Oak Ridge Road.
Investigators said the killers wanted drugs from Hall.

The 15-year-old witness admitted she lied about key information. That information was the main link between the men and Hall's death, prosecutors said.
mid-1990s, Loyd pleaded no contest to resisting arrest without violence and was found guilty of carrying a weapon openly, battery and trespassing, all in Orange County.

1998, he was sentenced to four years and 15 days in prison for battery on a law enforcement officer or firefighter and resisting arrest with violence,

released about four years later

Three women filed paternity claims against him from 1999 through 2001

Loyd was in the Orange County Jail in 2002 when Corrections Officer Elana Pierce filed charges against him for battery. Pierce stated she asked him to get off the phone for mealtime, but he refused.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1996-11-27/news/9611270094_1_key-witness-keith-hall-key-information

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-orlando-police-shooting-markeith-loyd-20170109-story.html

[FONT=&amp]http://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/orlando-manhunt-take-his-life-cousin-slain-officer-says-killer-n705271[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Play
nc_orlandofamily0110_1920x1080.nbcnews-ux-1080-600.jpg

[/FONT]

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...ing-manhunt-markeith-loyd-20170110-story.html

Authorities have been searching for Loyd, 41, since Dec. 13, when his pregnant ex-girlfriend, 24-year-old Sade Dixon, was shot and killed on her doorstep. Loyd also is accused of shooting and injuring Dixon's brother when he ran to help her.

"There have been times when we just missed him," Demings said.

In a Facebook Live video posted on Loyd's page on Nov. 4 &#8212; a little more than a month before Dixon was shot and killed &#8212; Loyd and Dixon talk about killing cops during a traffic stop.

"Go ahead and kill him, babe, so we can get home faster," Dixon said.

attachment.php

The news of Lewis' death hit many in the UCF football community hard.

Lewis was a graduate of Port Charlotte High School and earned first team Class 4A all-state honors before enrolling at UCF.

[...]

"There are no superlatives ever created in our lives to describe Norman," Kruczek said. "He stood for everything that was good in life. He worked so incredibly hard during his college career. This event is behind comprehension."

[...]

"You don't know what day or what time anything can happen, but I know he went out doing what he loved to do," Haynes said.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...ice-shooting-norman-lewis-20170109-story.html

Attachments

• norman.jpg
    norman.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 192
Just weeks before an Orlando man allegedly shot a police officer who recognized him as the suspect in his pregnant girlfriend&#8217;s murder, his sweetheart joked about him killing cops &#8212; and her.

(...) video from November surfaced showing his girlfriend joking at a traffic stop.

&#8220;Go ahead and kill him, babe, so we can get home faster,&#8221; Sade Dixon playfully told her boyfriend, referring to the officer who pulled them over them over, according to a Facebook Live video. It&#8217;s not clear why the cop stopped them.

Later, when Loyd started speeding, the 24-year-old again teased him.

&#8220;You not about to kill me and the baby!&#8221; she said in the video, first uncovered by the Orlando Sentinel. "I'm not going to live past 25. I&#8217;m not going to make it!&#8221;

About a month later, Loyd, 41, fatally shot Dixon inside her Orange County home in December, police said. The attack also killed their unborn child.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...hooter-joked-killing-police-article-1.2943439

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgreen63