FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
He wasn't around her for a few years right?I don't think it was someone close to the family.

I don't know how long dt has been at the house they are now. but Somer was born in S.C. so I would be safe to say until what 2 yrs ago maybe dt moved to florida??? father said 2yrs since children left where he lives and hadn't seen them since..

DAD said the LE told him it was someone close to family, in neighborhood or could even be a neighbor

Now, THAT, is some useful info. I see no reason for him to lie, and although he isn't the most eloquent man, he is articulate and I don't think he misspoke himself. I just hope it was a good thing that he said that.

2 years for a child to not see a parent hurts them badly... why would a parent do this??? then act like all is hunky dorry .. I don't think so.. I am thinking of the children sorry If I have offended anyone but the children come first and that was wrong ..
We don't know the circumstances here. There is this evil VINDICTIVE woman my cousin married - don't get me started, I did some serious sleuthing in real life on her, she could get a thread here on ws as far as I am concerned, lol - but she basically STOLE custody in the manner of blackmale on a LE officer and much much more to others.. Long story. But I guess what I am getting at here is it is possible mom took the kids and left NC and came to FL - it did say Somer was born there. Were they living there up until they split and mom took off to FL - all I am saying is we don't know the whole story and I think it could go both ways.

Just a thought...but today I get an eerie feeling that this person is a known member of the community. I'm now thinking this was a crime of opportunity.

I'm thinking "grandfather" type, older man. Innocent enough to lure upset child. Maybe he was walking a dog or something. That would explain no one seeing or hearing anything.

He saw her walking upset and took advantage of the opportunity. Maybe he has fantasized about it for years. He could have had her there Monday night and panicked with the police presence. I know some times these people stay "bottled up" for years.

Where is her backpack?

I think this is a very good possibility. What if this perp has always fantasized about commiting a crime like this. And had it all planned out in their head for years. What they would do, where they would go OR if they trolled this area and had an opportunity they already knew ahead of time their plan. What is even more scary is this type of person could read message boards like this and get fantasy's about their crime and how much attention they would get. JMO.

IF she was taken by car, it seems the perp would take her somewhere he was comfortable. I'd think it'd be hard to commit a heinous crime somewhere you are unfamiliar with. Then if she ended up back in a community dumpster it would seem it was definitely someone in the community or someone very familiar with the community. And the car ride was probably a short one.
If Somer had a history of coming home late from school, I have an uneasy feeling that she came in contact with this person long before 10/19. This person was grooming her to feel comfortable around them/gain her trust. She probably saw this person a dozen times or more. I think the best bet would be to ask neighborhood children if they've seen Somer talking to/hanging out with someone after school from time to time. Children have keen observation skills and are privy to information a parent may not have. Just my thoughts.

how about in a neighbors house.........only HE would feel comfortable there......with LE and family searching he would come and go as he pleased in the panic and plenty of time to clean up because LE was looking at burnt house, then he goes to HELP eveyone and stand in front of the news collecting money and acting like the "GOOD NEIGHBOR"

I'm a new member to this BB, but I've been lurking around for the past week, trying to catch up with everyone's thoughts and theories. Now that I'm done, I'm gonna Windex my HINKERS and offer a humble take on this.

First, I gotta confess, I was a "free-rage" kid growing up - walking to school 2 miles in the morning and again 2 miles back home in the afternoon.

The walking was hard, specially during those days of record-breaking temps, and during thunderstorms. Oh yeah, if you happened to catch a thunderstorm in the morning, you got to spend the rest of the day with wet hair and clothes. It was also hard to deal with speeding cars, stray dogs, mosquitos, bees, and the oggling of dirty old men along the way.

But, the whole experience made for more confidence (it creates character we were told) and for muscular legs.

As an adult, because of work commitments, I had my three children walk back and forth to school on SOME days, though we lived just about a mile from school (like the Thompson kids.)

The rules of walking were: walk in groups, don't talk to strangers, don't take rides from ANYONE, and... mainly stick to a path and don't take shortcuts through people's properties.

This brings me to think that the Thompson children had a routine going back and forth from school. They waited for each other after school (which they did Oct 19th,) and then they would walk together (which they started to do Oct 19th,) following a usual route.

Looking at the map, I guess their usual route was West on Gano and then North on Debarry.

But, that is a long way, they could've taken other routes, like:

(1) The Grove Road, and then walking behind the two long buildings that are fenced in, to shortcut to Debarry Avenue or
(2) Grove Park Drive to Arbor Circle and shortcut through people's houses to Post Oak Circle or
(3) Grove Park Drive to Elm Street and shortcut through people's houses to Post Oak Circle or
(4) Grove Park Drive to Willow Lane (this is out of the way, so not likely.)

On October 19th Somer could've stopped somewhere to wait for her sibs (after she calmed down) and gotten abducted while doing so. She could've gone out of her way because she was upset and maybe afraid to get in trouble. Her mother even went East, past the school, looking for her (per police report) maybe thinking this same thing.

But, because Somer was very upset that day, she could've also gotten in mind to make it home ASAP, before her sibs. So it is possible she INTENDED to take one of the shortcuts she already knew would get her home fast, and taking Grove Park Drive would've been her best choice to reach both Arbor and Elm, to shortcut to Post Oak Circle (a short walk to 1706 Horton Drive.)

Some news reports in the first days of her disappearance said that the guard at Miller and Gano saw Somer, and the guard at Grove Park Drive and Gano was not sure if he saw her, but the third guard at Debarry and Gano is certain Somer did not come by. So, maybe (if she was not held at 1080 Gano) Somer could've taken a detour between Grove Park Drive and Debarry Avenue.

As to who assaulted and murdered Somer, I will not dare to guess. There is no evidence to point to one person or the other, and until the evidence gathered comes back pointing at someone, or unless the criminal has remorse and comes forth, or until someone who has concrete information contacts the hotlines, I will leave the reasoning to law enforcement .

I do have my opinion on some of the theories expressed in this BB, though.

First off, there was NO long-term premeditation on this crime.

Had Somer remained with her brother and sister that day, CHANCES are that the crime would not have happened. Her running away from her brother and sister was a spur of the moment act on Somer's part (as a typical child her age) and NOBODY but NOBODY could have anticipated it - even if she had done something similar in the past.

So, forget about the mother, the boyfriend, the indigo nut, the brother and sisters, the father, teachers, etc.. Nobody related to her was lurking for Somer that day, per se.

This was a crime of oportunity.

The criminal saw Somer alone, and took advantage of the fact that she was away from view of the other kids and of the people driving on the street, and of other neighbors' sight. The person could've been waiting for the first lonely child to come along, but then again, Somer was not targetted, as nobody could've predicted that she would be walking alone that day.

About the Indigo guy, the only way SP could've done something to her, is IF Somer had made it home. BUT, there is NO evidence to prove that Somer made it to her home that day, and NOBODY saw her past the second crossing guard.

About the criminal who did the horrible act, it seems that most everyone in Orange Park has a criminal record. And, if we put emphasis on solely sexual offenders, then we are excluding a pool of other criminals who could've committed the crime. And, it could've been a first time offender with a spotless record after all.

About the Sheriff's statements on sexual offenders... he has said that SOs have been interviewed but that doesn't mean that any of them has been excluded as a potential suspect. Notice that he always says "within a 5-mile radius." So, we have to remember than some SOs interviewed (i.e. GV) lived more than 11 miles away, in another county.

Also, why is everyone focusing at industrial-size dumpsters? A child Somer's size can very well fit in a household refuse container, and some trucks pick up just the residential garbage because they may not be equipped to handle the large dumpsters (I don't know if those used in the area are,) but it has been said that Tuesday was regular trash pickup day for the area. So one can assume it was residential garbage pick up day.

I have emailed Justino (PA for the Sheriff's office) about the four men arrested to get the truth on that... so far no reply.

One last thing that I wanted to mention, people will discuss possible suspects, and that's okay. But, not everyone who is "beauty-challenged" is guilty. Meaning, that just because a man does not look like Brad Pitt in pictures, doesn't mean he's done it.

Glad to have joined this board. I have seen very valuable information being put out, and very heart-felt discussions, along with the Kooky theory. But, it is the best BB on crime that there is, and that includes the simian site.

:twocents::twocents:

DAD said the LE told him it was someone close to family, in neighborhood or could even be a neighbor

passion that is pretty general.. we even heard that part... I don't think LE told him much cause doesn't want info out... just like we thought with dt.. they are keeping info close to vest...

I think he is blowing smoke... for attention.... I am sure he was told something like that.. one would guess that on their own without LE saying that..

I could be wrong but I take that comment as they have a suspect or suspects. Otherwise, how could they know it wasn't a stranger.

We don't know the circumstances here. There is this evil VINDICTIVE woman my cousin married - don't get me started, I did some serious sleuthing in real life on her, she could get a thread here on ws as far as I am concerned, lol - but she basically STOLE custody in the manner of blackmale on a LE officer and much much more to others.. Long story. But I guess what I am getting at here is it is possible mom took the kids and left NC and came to FL - it did say Somer was born there. Were they living there up until they split and mom took off to FL - all I am saying is we don't know the whole story and I think it could go both ways.

ditto...plus youve got to remember he is handicaped so it could of been hard for him to vist...but i do know here, they interviewed a neighbor of his and said he remembered seeing her when she would vist(Somer) so he did see her while here in NC..

I don't remember him saying that on HLN.I remember him saying he thinks that happened.Maybe I didn't hear it right.I wish I had a rerun button on the T.V.

Victim was Jeralee Underwood 11 years old

Serial killer was James Wood,James Wood has been credited with at least 85 rapes, 185 robberies and dozens of murders.

Wasn't he the eclectic murderer? Boys, girls, rapes, murders? I always thought he had murderous impulses while in the womb! What a sick, twisted pervert. :eek:

I was wondering where her back pack was too.I wonder if anything was found of Somer's in the vacant house or the bathrooms.

I have been wondering this for days and I even posted this before.
Has ANYTHING of Somer's been found? Not just the backback, but school papers, lunchbox, etc. Anything she carried home with her.

Hmmm Are you sure his middle initial is an R? When I check Lake City Reporter's obit section all I get a W. "E." O'Cain. Age 73, of Lake City, passed away August 30, 2009. I'll pay the $2.95, if I know we have the right guy.

The people searches indicate W. R. O'cain - age 89.

When I found that link the age fits - it's just as if the people searches don't know he died in 08. (I don't really know how those search sites gather their info.)

Please don't feel like you should pay on on my account. I am not sure of anything.

If anyone does pay to find out though - would you be so kind as to share. TIA

Heck I may even decide later to do it - It's just that I tell myself I should not start that habit - it would be easy to do often.

ETA - link https://www.legacy.com/timesunion/deathnotices.asp?page=obitfinderorder&personid=120787889

I don't remember him saying that on HLN.I remember him saying he thinks that happened.Maybe I didn't hear it right.I wish I had a rerun button on the T.V.

I heard the father say that HE believed that it was someone from the neighborhood.

I have been wondering this for days and I even posted this before.
Has ANYTHING of Somer's been found? Not just the backback, but school papers, lunchbox, etc. Anything she carried home with her.

I too think they found her backpack in the bathrooms at the park.

ditto...plus youve got to remember he is handicaped so it could of been hard for him to vist...but i do know here, they interviewed a neighbor of his and said he remembered seeing her when she would vist(Somer) so he did see her while here in NC..

handicapped ??? he had his knee operated on.. I would call that surgery not really handicapped... sorry..

and who is to say maybe he took the children when he wasn't suppose to .. maybe kept them after a visitation and wouldn't let dt have them..

I am trying to look at both sides.. but something is just not right with the father in this...

The LE are waiting for the DNA results to come back - takes some time...especially if it's someone who would have normal contact with her (AT);don't feel she was violated sexually; think the partially nude was mistaken for partially covered with trash & just her legs were exposed in the landfill. Could it have been some type of cult/ritual killing? Once again, involving teenagers associated with AT? Possibly Somer knew something about AT or saw AT doing something & was going to tell Mom...I know this isn't a popular scenario on this board, but it is a possibility. I am not accusing anyone by any means - just looking at what we know (which isn't much) and who was where and when.

I agree.

I don't know how LE can say they clear 161 Sex offenders.

Is all sex offenders dna on file? even if they are....there no way the tests are back yet.

I said get dna from every neighbor,family and friends?
But, in the article that was posted, and I referenced earlier, the Sheriff states that he "doesn't rule out that any of the 161 registered sex offenders who live within a 5 mile radius".

The Sheriff clearly states that NONE of the the RSOs have been "cleared".

He also says, "We are yet to even start receiving information back from the lab. This is going to be a process. It's going to take time".

The article I am quoting from came out yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
curiouscanadian