FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
LIPINONE,

WELCOME TO WS :)

Thank you for such an insightful post. I agree with a lot of what you are saying!! And speaking of your post, I feel like this was the avenue we were going down until we were thrown a monkey wrench on this board!!!

Now that I've repaired my messed up siggy...any news or are we still going around in circles.

I also feel it was someone from the neighborhood, as opposed to someone just cruising through.

I am back on O cane - mispelled on purpose. I also think we should check back into Ick and Stick - regardless if people say they are good guys. Just look at BTK!!

does anyone know exactly what type of relationship Somer had with her older brother. Was he someone she would go to if she were upset, or someone she'd stay away from if she was upset? Have we heard anything about their relationship? I just keep thinking how close she was to the area where he was picked up and wonder if she was on her way to hang out there knowing he'd be there (if she even knew he was there).

I think this is a great point. If a vehicle was involved, I'd imagine that vacuuming it out would be a top priority in the perps mind during the day(s) following Somer's disappearance. Hopefully they isolated the local car wash vacuum bins from the past week. I wonder if there are cameras at the local car washes.

Also, someone mentioned homeless folks. That's also interesting and something I had not thought of. Homeless folks would very likely be familiar with trash pick up schedules, as well as local area dumpster locations.
That is a great thought! Cameras at the local car washes...

I am back on O cane - mispelled on purpose. I also think we should check back into Ick and Stick - regardless if people say they are good guys. Just look at BTK!!

It's unfortunate but most of the time it IS the good guys :(

Back on HLN

Dad and that profiler for those that missed, I will write updates

LIPINONE,

WELCOME TO WS :)

Thank you for such an insightful post. I agree with a lot of what you are saying!! And speaking of your post, I feel like this was the avenue we were going down until we were thrown a monkey wrench on this board!!!

I am so far behind today...! :)
Where were we when the cryptic message was posted? We were on a role with Shutter, you, cam, and few others posting great maps, photos, etc. What thread was that, and maybe we pick up where we left off when everyone was sleuthing together at that time?? IDK

WDUT

I'm a new member to this BB, but I've been lurking around for the past week, trying to catch up with everyone's thoughts and theories. Now that I'm done, I'm gonna Windex my HINKERS and offer a humble take on this.

First, I gotta confess, I was a "free-rage" kid growing up - walking to school 2 miles in the morning and again 2 miles back home in the afternoon.

The walking was hard, specially during those days of record-breaking temps, and during thunderstorms. Oh yeah, if you happened to catch a thunderstorm in the morning, you got to spend the rest of the day with wet hair and clothes. It was also hard to deal with speeding cars, stray dogs, mosquitos, bees, and the oggling of dirty old men along the way.

But, the whole experience made for more confidence (it creates character we were told) and for muscular legs.

As an adult, because of work commitments, I had my three children walk back and forth to school on SOME days, though we lived just about a mile from school (like the Thompson kids.)

The rules of walking were: walk in groups, don't talk to strangers, don't take rides from ANYONE, and... mainly stick to a path and don't take shortcuts through people's properties.

This brings me to think that the Thompson children had a routine going back and forth from school. They waited for each other after school (which they did Oct 19th,) and then they would walk together (which they started to do Oct 19th,) following a usual route.

Looking at the map, I guess their usual route was West on Gano and then North on Debarry.

But, that is a long way, they could've taken other routes, like:

(1) The Grove Road, and then walking behind the two long buildings that are fenced in, to shortcut to Debarry Avenue or
(2) Grove Park Drive to Arbor Circle and shortcut through people's houses to Post Oak Circle or
(3) Grove Park Drive to Elm Street and shortcut through people's houses to Post Oak Circle or
(4) Grove Park Drive to Willow Lane (this is out of the way, so not likely.)

On October 19th Somer could've stopped somewhere to wait for her sibs (after she calmed down) and gotten abducted while doing so. She could've gone out of her way because she was upset and maybe afraid to get in trouble. Her mother even went East, past the school, looking for her (per police report) maybe thinking this same thing.

But, because Somer was very upset that day, she could've also gotten in mind to make it home ASAP, before her sibs. So it is possible she INTENDED to take one of the shortcuts she already knew would get her home fast, and taking Grove Park Drive would've been her best choice to reach both Arbor and Elm, to shortcut to Post Oak Circle (a short walk to 1706 Horton Drive.)

Some news reports in the first days of her disappearance said that the guard at Miller and Gano saw Somer, and the guard at Grove Park Drive and Gano was not sure if he saw her, but the third guard at Debarry and Gano is certain Somer did not come by. So, maybe (if she was not held at 1080 Gano) Somer could've taken a detour between Grove Park Drive and Debarry Avenue.

As to who assaulted and murdered Somer, I will not dare to guess. There is no evidence to point to one person or the other, and until the evidence gathered comes back pointing at someone, or unless the criminal has remorse and comes forth, or until someone who has concrete information contacts the hotlines, I will leave the reasoning to law enforcement .

I do have my opinion on some of the theories expressed in this BB, though.

First off, there was NO long-term premeditation on this crime.

Had Somer remained with her brother and sister that day, CHANCES are that the crime would not have happened. Her running away from her brother and sister was a spur of the moment act on Somer's part (as a typical child her age) and NOBODY but NOBODY could have anticipated it - even if she had done something similar in the past.

So, forget about the mother, the boyfriend, the indigo nut, the brother and sisters, the father, teachers, etc.. Nobody related to her was lurking for Somer that day, per se.

This was a crime of oportunity.

The criminal saw Somer alone, and took advantage of the fact that she was away from view of the other kids and of the people driving on the street, and of other neighbors' sight. The person could've been waiting for the first lonely child to come along, but then again, Somer was not targetted, as nobody could've predicted that she would be walking alone that day.

About the Indigo guy, the only way SP could've done something to her, is IF Somer had made it home. BUT, there is NO evidence to prove that Somer made it to her home that day, and NOBODY saw her past the second crossing guard.

About the criminal who did the horrible act, it seems that most everyone in Orange Park has a criminal record. And, if we put emphasis on solely sexual offenders, then we are excluding a pool of other criminals who could've committed the crime. And, it could've been a first time offender with a spotless record after all.

About the Sheriff's statements on sexual offenders... he has said that SOs have been interviewed but that doesn't mean that any of them has been excluded as a potential suspect. Notice that he always says "within a 5-mile radius." So, we have to remember than some SOs interviewed (i.e. GV) lived more than 11 miles away, in another county.

Also, why is everyone focusing at industrial-size dumpsters? A child Somer's size can very well fit in a household refuse container, and some trucks pick up just the residential garbage because they may not be equipped to handle the large dumpsters (I don't know if those used in the area are,) but it has been said that Tuesday was regular trash pickup day for the area. So one can assume it was residential garbage pick up day.

I have emailed Justino (PA for the Sheriff's office) about the four men arrested to get the truth on that... so far no reply.

One last thing that I wanted to mention, people will discuss possible suspects, and that's okay. But, not everyone who is "beauty-challenged" is guilty. Meaning, that just because a man does not look like Brad Pitt in pictures, doesn't mean he's done it.

Glad to have joined this board. I have seen very valuable information being put out, and very heart-felt discussions, along with the Kooky theory. But, it is the best BB on crime that there is, and that includes the simian site.

:twocents::twocents:

Excellent Post Lipin One.

I agree, this was a crime of oppurtunity and I think your ideas on a shortcut are right on. I think they should be looking for a male probably unemployed at home while the owners of the house are working and saw the chance. He probably does other crimes on the spur of the moment when he sees the chance of not getting caught.

Profiler

Believes it is someone in community. Disagrees with popo about changed behavior but not entirely - as this person is a Sexual predator, Psycho Path - so what would be different of that person now than before.

__ so I guess that our confirmation on that part.

I really think the most important thing to come out of the interview today is the highlighting of the car. This is the first time we've basically had confirmation that LE thinks the perp either grabbed her and put her in the car or parked when he saw her in a vulnerable place and attacked her.

The obvious question is why did he put her in a local dumpster or trash can when he could have just taken her in the car to a remote area? One logical conclusion is that he was afraid of being pulled over with a deceased child in the car. That raises the possibility of his tags being expired or him having some other reason that he would be more likely to be pulled over. He could have been afraid he was spotted also and didn't want to have her in a suspect car or been afraid of roadblocks though.

IMO, I keep thinking perhaps it was someone who knew Somer or her family and just happened to see her upset and walking home alone. They may have offered to give her a ride home and she willingly accepted. Has anyone ever figured out how this CWG who is an RSO and who is also listed on the missing person's report is connected to the family?

Very polite about his wife. Thanks for giving her support.

Taking calls..

Just a thought...but today I get an eerie feeling that this person is a known member of the community. I'm now thinking this was a crime of opportunity.

I'm thinking "grandfather" type, older man. Innocent enough to lure upset child. Maybe he was walking a dog or something. That would explain no one seeing or hearing anything.

He saw her walking upset and took advantage of the opportunity. Maybe he has fantasized about it for years. He could have had her there Monday night and panicked with the police presence. I know some times these people stay "bottled up" for years.

Where is her backpack?

what worries me is LE got lucky to think to look in garbage trucks very very soon..

I just wonder if this person has done this before and not been caught????

If he travels at employment but has regular route then he could scope out neighborhoods.. and uses dumpsters and just hasn't been caught till now..

this happened on a monday.. ok did perp think on this all week-end and plan to do it on monday??? I would say yes....

Perhaps it was a man from the neighborhood, who she felt she 'knew', and considered safe.
He may have witnessed the argument she had with the other kids on the way home, and saw her run off ahead of the other children.

Maybe he drove up next to her, and said something like, "Get in! We'll show them! You can hang out at my house". Could even be a father of one of her friends.

Maybe he was already home, and offered her a "safe refuge" as she was walking by, or hiding from them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname