FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
this guys initials are CS? and he is a SO living close to the family..how far away did he live?

Well, for 5 years I haven't seen very many people, other than Websleuths and other like-minded groups, get aware of what's going on or what they need to do, given the crisis that is going on this country regarding the safety of children and women.

I feel very sad for Somer's mom. I feel more sad for Somer.

I am over 40........errr, ok, over 45, and it's a damn shame that the world we live in now is not like when I was a kid in the 60's.

Where has it all gone wrong? Has it been a subtle change over the years? I know we weren't without crime and abductions, etc., but, Lordy, things have changed drastically.

Stayed out all day playing at neighbors, friends, went to the local park by ourselves, waited til Dad stood on porch and whistled for us to come home for dinner.

I think what has changed is information technology and education. Back then, parents were not aware of what was happening across the country or even in the next state. These cases did not have priority in the media, there was no internet and news was more localized. As crimes against children became more publicized, people became more concerned and that public concern translated into even more media attention.
I'm here in California yet I know as much about Haleigh and Caylee and Somer's cases in Florida as people who actually live there.
Point is, I don't think crime against children has increased, it's just our awareness that has changed.

I just meant I didnt feel it was right, it felt "dirty" to dig up stuff & make it public, about someone who we had no reason to believe is involved.
snipped by me

I understand your main point~not here to argue with you on that, however I just wanted to point out that the things that were brought out on this website were things that are ALREADY in the public eye. Anything that is posted online or in a public record is fair game. Maybe no we don't expect that it would be scrutinized by a stranger- but if you put information out there, I think it is fair game...

Some info on your suspect. Looks like he might be from Putnam Cnty.
Don't you just love it ?
His sentence for L/L battery of a minor carried a lighter sentence than his 1980 Uttering Forgery conviction.

05/01/2002 L/L BATTERY V 12-15 YO 07/12/2004 DUVAL 0305996 3Y 0M 0D
Current Community Supervision History:
Offense Date Offense Sentence Date County Case No. Community Supervision Length
05/01/2002 L/L BATTERY V 12-15 YO 07/12/2004 DUVAL 0305996 0Y 2M 24D
Incarceration History:
Date In-Custody Date Out-of-Custody
10/08/1982 12/02/1983
11/06/1984 05/17/1985
07/20/2004 10/26/2005

Current Community Supervision History:
Offense Date Offense Sentence Date County Case No. Community Supervision Length
05/01/2002 L/L BATTERY V 12-15 YO 07/12/2004 DUVAL 0305996 0Y 2M 24D

07/30/1980 UTTERING FORGERY 09/30/1982 PUTNAM 8000785 4Y 0M 0D
05/02/1984 UTTERING FORGERY 10/31/1984 VOLUSIA 8402298 1Y 6M 0D[/QUOTE]

=======================

Thanks chi... wow .. but I don't know what L/L battery is.. Could you tell me please????

If I rememer correctly, he's listed as a predator.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=Ch0800/SEC04.HTM

(4) LEWD OR LASCIVIOUS BATTERY.--A person who:

(a) Engages in sexual activity with a person 12 years of age or older but less than 16 years of age; or

(b) Encourages, forces, or entices any person less than 16 years of age to engage in sadomasochistic abuse, sexual bestiality, prostitution, or any other act involving sexual activity

commits lewd or lascivious battery, a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.[/QUOTE]

wow Thanks Chi.. He sounds really dangerous.. To dangerous to be that close to a school.. he should be miles and miles away from anything to do with children.. This just burns me up... :furious::furious: :furious: :furious::furious:

My heart goes out to this family. A precious life taken away.

I hope that as time goes by the pain and anguish will lessen for Somer's family.

One more angel that has gone on to a better place.

Rest in peace Somer.

You are loved and missed by many.

Maz

I don't know, they were awfully persistant about it being routine in the search for a missing person.

It does seem to be routine, but I don't recall ever seeing it done quite so quickly - whether something of interest was found or not.

snipped by me

I understand your main point~not here to argue with you on that, however I just wanted to point out that the things that were brought out on this website were things that are ALREADY in the public eye. Anything that is posted online or in a public record is fair game. Maybe no we don't expect that it would be scrutinized by a stranger- but if you put information out there, I think it is fair game...

Also, If the information is not gotten in the first couple hours,,,, then more likely it will be missing in a few more hours.. just like it has happened in this case and others.. So if you want info at all best get it right away...

I am over 40........errr, ok, over 45, and it's a damn shame that the world we live in now is not like when I was a kid in the 60's.

Where has it all gone wrong? Has it been a subtle change over the years? I know we weren't without crime and abductions, etc., but, Lordy, things have changed drastically.

Stayed out all day playing at neighbors, friends, went to the local park by ourselves, waited til Dad stood on porch and whistled for us to come home for dinner.

I wonder if it's due to a way bigger population and of course cable tv. I'm also a child of the 60's and if you remember, there was no HLN or Fox in those days.

When I was 10 or 11 we lived in an apartment complex. It became known that a young girl had been abducted, raped and then dropped back off in our complex. (thank God she wasn't killed) It's wasn't on the news but just word of mouth. Not long after that I was leaving my friend's apartment which was on the second floor. As I was walking down the stairs a man standing just a few feet away in the court yard says to me "hey, little girl, hey come here". I froze and he started toward me saying it again..."come here, I just want to ask you something". I nearly broke my legs running back up the stairs and into my friend's apartment. Her dad took off after this guy, caught him, knocked the crap out of him and the guy's excuse was he just wanted to know where a certain apartment was. That was an experience I'll never forget!!

Point is that it happend back then too. Just we didn't hear of it as much. Although I also tend to believe our society is raising more sicko's. Who knows the reason? It's just so damn wrong and sad.

Hello? Is it helium on the brain?
Really! She's giving heene just what he wants - attention. She's posting his you tube videos, his stupid songs, everything. In the meantime, yet another precious little girl has been killed and no one is in jail for her murder. NG is supposed to be about justice for victims but this smacks of a ratings grab.

This was my fear when I saw the story of her disappearance on the am news - so very very sad. Her mother was a wreck (of course) - I cried through the entire teleconference.

I think what has changed is information technology and education. Back then, parents were not aware of what was happening across the country or even in the next state. These cases did not have priority in the media, there was no internet and news was more localized. As crimes against children became more publicized, people became more concerned and that public concern translated into even more media attention.
I'm here in California yet I know as much about Haleigh and Caylee and Somer's cases in Florida as people who actually live there.
Point is, I don't think crime against children has increased, it's just our awareness that has changed.

Thanks gitana ~ (such a sweet avatar you have!)

I can't help but think that in spite of all the advanced technology we have now vs. years ago, things seem to be worse, not better.

Cell phones, pings, triangulations, surveillance cameras located just about everywhere (or so it seems), and a sense of heightened awareness, for sure, due to national news and alerts 24/7.

We need a change in the court system and how these pedophiles are prosecuted, sentenced, and MONITORED once released back out into society.

One word: Phillip & Nancy Garrido.

US department of Justice:Approximately 60% of boys and 80% of girls who are sexually victimized are abused by someone known to the child or the child's family (Lieb, Quinsey, and Berliner, 1998). Relatives, friends, baby-sitters, persons in positions of authority over the child, or persons who supervise children are more likely than strangers to commit a sexual assault.

http://www.csom.org/pubs/mythsfacts.html

I am not saying that it was the boyfriend, but I do think that it was someone that she knew. After reading about the crossing guards, I think that if a complete stranger was to try to snatch her she would have screamed loud enough for someone around her including the crossing guard to hear her. How else would you have got her to get in the car without using noticeable force?

Yes, and they mention that frequently
Somer Renee Thompson's father: Birthmark on body found in landfill matches daughter's

Clay County police said landfill searches were "precautionary," not based on tip. Story updated at 7:34 PM on Wednesday, Oct. 21, 2009

http://jacksonville.com/news/georgi...her_birthmark_on_body_found_in_landfill_match

I was going to ask earlier this afternoon: How many bodies of children are found in landfills as a function of a rountine check?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back