Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a dilemma my WS friends. I mad a lot of vegan chili ( beans, tomatoes and beyond beef) for dinner last night. When I woke this morning, there it was, left out on the counter overnight. :( It was about 13 hours.

I am so sad. It was delicious and as you all may know, I hate wasting food. But I also don’t want to end up in a Covid filled ER with food poisoning.

I know the advice of the FDA is 2 hours then toss. Mr Pirate says boil it for a while and it will be fine.
Thoughts?
Read the ingredient list of the meat substitute. Let that be your guide since it is likely the only item to require refrigeration. Most veggies are fine & beans may ferment a bit but will likely be fine. Tomatoes are acidic and likely fine.

DH has gone to pick up my sister (she doesn't have a car currently) so we can watch figure skating together over the weekend. I made a major trip to Nino's to make sure that we had plenty of food for meals and snacks. I put together a meatloaf for tonight and will make rosemary roasted potatoes and a green veggie (Sis' choice) for accompaniments. Tomorrow's dinner will be grilled chicken breasts with baked ratatouille unless L... prefers a pasta dish with salad. I baked a pound cake a while ago and several dozen peanut butter blossoms for sweet treats, and we have assorted hummus with pita and lavash crackers for snacking, Sis is bringing some snack items, too. Later today, I'm going to assemble Ore Ida "Lorraine Potatoes" for breakfast tomorrow and Sunday.

We haven't taken advantage of our free Peacock streaming service but found out yesterday that we could watch figure skating practice sessions. I haven't checked the schedule yet today, but I'm sure we can probably watch practice sessions today, and, of course, competitions this evening. Love figure skating :)

Last edited:
I’d toss. Overnight is too long imo
Sorry :(
I have had to do the same with a big ole pot of chili a few years ago.

I have a dilemma my WS friends. I mad a lot of vegan chili ( beans, tomatoes and beyond beef) for dinner last night. When I woke this morning, there it was, left out on the counter overnight. :( It was about 13 hours.

I am so sad. It was delicious and as you all may know, I hate wasting food. But I also don’t want to end up in a Covid filled ER with food poisoning.

I know the advice of the FDA is 2 hours then toss. Mr Pirate says boil it for a while and it will be fine.
Thoughts?

Thoughts?
I frequently make a big pot of vegetarian or vegan soup at night and since it is boiling hot I leave it on the stove until morning. Then I divide it into containers and refrigerate.

Since there is no meat or dairy I think it is ok.

Thoughts?

Please don't be so hard on yourself. We've all done things like this at one time or another. During the holidays, I lit a candle in the powder room one evening. The wick had burned so low that I didn't notice it when I went to bed :oops: DH discovered it - still lit - the next morning. Thankfully, this was a candle jar that had very little wax left - I tossed it.

Read the ingredient list of the meat substitute. Let that be your guide since it is likely the only item to require refrigeration. Most veggies are fine & beans may ferment a bit but will likely be fine. Tomatoes are acidic and likely fine.

I agree. I would smell it, and if it doesn't smell bad, I would re-boil it and then have no issue eating it. Of course yes it does depend on how warm or cool your room was overnight. But in most (non-meat) situations I would trust the smell as my guide.

DH is driving my sister back home after a fun weekend of watching a lot of figure skating. She doesn't like to leave her cat home alone for longer than a couple of days. The breakfast casserole was very good, but I think it would be better with breakfast sausage, and the recipe didn't call for any salt which it definitely needed. Lorraine Potatoes | ORE-IDA

We had meatloaf with rosemary roasted potatoes on Friday night, and Pasta Puttanesca last night. I did the prep, and DH cooked and assembled the delicious pasta dish that we ate with a crusty asiago boule. Our version was based on this basic recipe: Pasta Puttanesca recipe | Epicurious.com

The men's final figure skating championship is later today. The 2021 World Figure Skating Championships are scheduled for late March in Stockholm, Sweden. At this time, it's not known if the event will actually take place.

One thing about being home, is spending more time cooking!

I made three salads today, kalua pork, rice.
Pressure Cooker Kalua Pork

Asian cucumber salad
Cucumber Sesame Salad

And the coleslaw, with vinaigrette dressing, posted earlier in this thread. Very good.

With rice. Made a perfect meal for vegan, no meat, paleo, gluten free, and regular folks. How about that?! I am semi vegan, my husband eats anything (but I am slowly transitioning him to paleo vegan without him knowing it).

I must learn more about this. Paleo always sounds good to me except for its emphasis on meat. Will google, but appreciate anything you want to say about it.

No processed foods, focus on whole foods. No dairy. Which is very difficult for me. I do eat eggs though. Stay away from grains. Legumes are okay, if you soak them first.

Have you read the book, "Grain Brain"? That is very true for me.

My husband loves meat, so, I am slowly making meat a "side" dish. He is doing great. From 8 to 12 oz. A meal, to maybe 3 or 4 oz. So, he has a sweet potato, a salad, and a little bit of meat. Fruit for dessert.

Meatless Monday. I'm going to make this oven version of Ratatouille. I usually make it on top the stove and let it simmer for at least an hour. I haven't ever put anchovy paste or olives in my version, but since I have both ingredients, I will add them. We still have 1/2 of a crusty asiago boule that will be perfect for dunking. I also have a chunk of Parmesan that can be added to the vegetables. Ratatouille Recipe | Geoffrey Zakarian | Food Network

DH is driving my sister back home after a fun weekend of watching a lot of figure skating. She doesn't like to leave her cat home alone for longer than a couple of days. The breakfast casserole was very good, but I think it would be better with breakfast sausage, and the recipe didn't call for any salt which it definitely needed. Lorraine Potatoes | ORE-IDA

We had meatloaf with rosemary roasted potatoes on Friday night, and Pasta Puttanesca last night. I did the prep, and DH cooked and assembled the delicious pasta dish that we ate with a crusty asiago boule. Our version was based on this basic recipe: Pasta Puttanesca recipe | Epicurious.com

The men's final figure skating championship is later today. The 2021 World Figure Skating Championships are scheduled for late March in Stockholm, Sweden. At this time, it's not known if the event will actually take place.

We also enjoyed watching skating over the weekend. So much talent! I still have my figure skates I got when I was a teenager, but haven't used them for decades. I doubt they would even fit now.

Your dinners sound delicious, as usual. We had spaghetti with meat sauce and salad Saturday night, and wonderful Dungeness crab clusters Sunday night with melted butter, a baked potato (split between us), and green beans with caramelized onions. DH is from Oregon so he loves it when we can find Dungeness crab clusters at a local store.

We also enjoyed watching skating over the weekend. So much talent! I still have my figure skates I got when I was a teenager, but haven't used them for decades. I doubt they would even fit now.

Your dinners sound delicious, as usual. We had spaghetti with meat sauce and salad Saturday night, and wonderful Dungeness crab clusters Sunday night with melted butter, a baked potato (split between us), and green beans with caramelized onions. DH is from Oregon so he loves it when we can find Dungeness crab clusters at a local store.

I hope there will be World figure Skating Championships this year since they were cancelled last year due to the pandemic. At this time, they are scheduled in Stockholm, March 22-26, but no one seems to know whether or not the competition will actually happen.

When DH and I spent a couple of days in Seattle prior to our Alaskan cruise, I ordered a Dungeness crab omelet for breakfast one morning. I don't recall ever having this crab previously, but it was divine. Love Maryland blue crab that is usually available here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members