Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to acknowledge everyone who contributes here. In a site where most subjects are disturbing and sad, the shared recipes and recommendations and experiences and comradery has been a beacon of light since its very inception. You've not only taught me but continue to teach me. You've also provided a calming balm where other subjects/threads are anything but pleasant. Thank you everyone. I am grateful.
I appreciate this thread, too :) The Smiles Cafe thread was (and continues to be) a blessing during Covid.

Husband and MIL are out of town and I tend to eat like a college kid or a kid in general. Last night I finished off my homemade gluten free fish sticks. Tonight was some leftover homemade taquitos. Tomorrow will be some gluten free chicken egg rolls. I just don’t cook much when it’s just me, would rather clean the freezer out a bit.

My eggs stalled out in freeze dryer so I restarted it and did some maintenance and ran the fruit and vegetable load. Those worked fine so trying the eggs again.

As someone who loves to cook, I found myself experimenting with various recipes to keep myself occupied and well-fed. One dish that quickly became a favorite was the shrimp salad sandwich.

The shrimp salad sandwich is a refreshing and delicious meal that is perfect for a quick lunch or dinner. It consists of cooked and chopped shrimp mixed with mayonnaise, celery, red onion, lemon juice, and various seasonings, including salt, pepper, and Old Bay seasoning. This mixture is then placed on a toasted roll with lettuce and tomato.

What I love about the shrimp salad sandwich is that it is easy to make, and the ingredients can be adjusted to suit one's taste preferences. Additionally, it is a healthier alternative to traditional sandwiches like BLTs or grilled cheese. Shrimp is low in calories and high in protein, making it a great addition to any diet.

During the quarantine period, the shrimp salad sandwich became my go-to meal. It was simple to make, and I could easily adjust the recipe depending on what ingredients I had on hand. It also gave me something to look forward to during the day, which was important for maintaining a sense of routine and normalcy during a challenging time.

In conclusion, the shrimp salad sandwich is a delicious and healthy meal that is easy to make and adjust to personal preferences. It quickly became a favorite meal during the quarantine period, providing comfort and nourishment during a challenging time.

Last edited:
Food preferences aren't always something we're born with. A study published Wednesday in the journal Cell Metabolism suggests that eating fatty or sugary snacks alters our brain activity and creates lasting preferences for these less healthy items.

For the study, researchers at Yale University and the Max Planck Institute for Metabolism Research in Germany gave one group of participants a high-fat, high-sugar yogurt twice daily for eight weeks, while another got a low-fat, low-sugar version. Aside from that, both groups continued their normal eating habits.

At the end, the groups rated puddings with varying fat concentrations and apple juices with a range of sugar levels. The group that ate the high-fat, high-sugar yogurt said they did not like low-fat pudding and did not want low-sugar apple juice as much as they had at the start...

As someone who loves to cook, I found myself experimenting with various recipes to keep myself occupied and well-fed. One dish that quickly became a favorite was the shrimp salad sandwich.

The shrimp salad sandwich is a refreshing and delicious meal that is perfect for a quick lunch or dinner. It consists of cooked and chopped shrimp mixed with mayonnaise, celery, red onion, lemon juice, and various seasonings, including salt, pepper, and Old Bay seasoning. This mixture is then placed on a toasted roll with lettuce and tomato.

What I love about the shrimp salad sandwich is that it is easy to make, and the ingredients can be adjusted to suit one's taste preferences. Additionally, it is a healthier alternative to traditional sandwiches like BLTs or grilled cheese. Shrimp is low in calories and high in protein, making it a great addition to any diet.

During the quarantine period, the shrimp salad sandwich became my go-to meal. It was simple to make, and I could easily adjust the recipe depending on what ingredients I had on hand. It also gave me something to look forward to during the day, which was important for maintaining a sense of routine and normalcy during a challenging time.

In conclusion, the shrimp salad sandwich is a delicious and healthy meal that is easy to make and adjust to personal preferences. It quickly became a favorite meal during the quarantine period, providing comfort and nourishment during a challenging time.

The restaurant where I pick up grab and goes has a yummy looking shrimp salad.

I’ll try it next time!

Thanks for the recommendation.

The shrimp salad sandwich is a refreshing and delicious meal that is perfect for a quick lunch or dinner. It consists of cooked and chopped shrimp mixed with mayonnaise, celery, red onion, lemon juice, and various seasonings, including salt, pepper, and Old Bay seasoning. This mixture is then placed on a toasted roll with lettuce and tomato...
Welcome to Websleuths :) Your shrimp salad recipe reminded me of a shrimp spread that I used to make frequently in the '70s and '80s. The recipe was on a box of Pepperidge Farm crackers that I always served with the spread that had basically the same ingredients as your shrimp salad recipe with the addition of cream cheese and scallions instead of red onion. I did not like the tiny shrimp (in a can) that were called for in the recipe and used regular cooked shrimp instead. I made the shrimp spread for holidays and for parties when asked to bring a dish.

One year during the Christmas season (early '80s), a neighbor hosted a Gingerbread House-making party for moms and daughters. I offered to bring an appetizer and made the shrimp spread to be served with a box of the Pepperidge Farm crackers. Unbeknownst to me, the hostess was allergic to shellfish and could not eat the shrimp spread that everyone enjoyed. That was the first time that I had ever encountered someone with a food allergy. I rarely made the shrimp spread after that unless it was for family gatherings (no shellfish allergies) and educated myself about food allergies for the future.

Last edited:
Here's a favorite of my daughter and also my grandson :)

Ranch Potatoes

Preheat oven to 450

2 pounds potatoes, washed and quartered
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 packet (1 ounce) dry ranch dressing mix

Place potatoes in resealable food bag. Pour in oil, close and shake bag to coat potatoes. Add dry ranch dressing mix, close and shake bag again to coat potatoes.

Spread potatoes on ungreased* baking pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until potatoes are brown and crisp.

*The recipe calls for ungreaased pans but we usually spray ours with nonstick cooking spray.

Welcome to Websleuths :) Your shrimp salad recipe reminded me of a shrimp spread that I used to make frequently in the '70s and '80s. The recipe was on a box of Pepperidge Farm crackers that I always served with the spread that had basically the same ingredients as your shrimp salad recipe with the addition of cream cheese and scallions instead of red onion. I did not like the tiny shrimp (in a can) that were called for in the recipe and used regular cooked shrimp instead. I made the shrimp spread for holidays and for parties when asked to bring a dish.

One year during the Christmas season (early '80s), a neighbor hosted a Gingerbread House-making party for moms and daughters. I offered to bring an appetizer and made the shrimp spread to be served with a box of the Pepperidge Farm crackers. Unbeknownst to me, the hostess was allergic to shellfish and could not eat the shrimp spread that everyone enjoyed. That was the first time that I had ever encountered someone with a food allergy. I rarely made the shrimp spread after that unless it was for family gatherings (no shellfish allergies) and educated myself about food allergies for the future.
I’m one of those with shellfish allergy, crustaceans in particular. I’m one that can’t eat it if it turns red when cooking. No crawfish, shrimp, lobster or crab. It got worse as I got older. Last time I tried a bit of crab it felt like someone was choking me and my tongue swelled a bit and I haven’t tried them since. I’ve become very attuned to the smell of it so if it’s not listed I can us still very mindful of it though, obviously.

Interestingly my aunt has a pork allergy and so did my grandmother. Their body actually swells if they have been exposed. Thankfully my mom and I didn’t inherit that.

I made the paprikish chicken! It was lovely, really tasty. I used chicken breast and only had 1 pepper so I added a carrot, but other than that stuck to the recipe . I would make again. I thought it went great with mash but I may try a different side next time.

Attachments

• IMG-20230324-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20230324-WA0004.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 18
Grocery shopping day. I read freeze dried cucumbers make excellent chips for your favorite dips and they were on sale so I figured I’d try that out. Granny Smith apples were on sale, 3# of them sliced and trayed as well. I wanted to make a big batch of Lassi but the ingredients weren’t on sale and my husband asked me to wait. I think it would be good freeze dried as well.

Pork was on sale, instead of kimchi beef stir fry, I’m doing the pork, asparagus and red onion stir fry. Figure lunch for the entire week will cost about $20 total ($4/meal).

DH is home for a few days so I’ve been cooking. Ham with sautéed cabbage and then he wanted the cucumber apple bacon salad. Sauerkraut soup is still on his menu but he hasn’t been home long enough for me to make it for him.

MIL will be home Tues and meals should get back to normal.

Enchiladas for the week. I found the can of cheese sauce at the Dollar General. We tasted it and it’s pretty good. So I decided to use it instead of red sauce. We added corn this time. They smell good!

Attachments

• 794ED1CE-4674-4825-92A1-D9998D1E9E5E.jpeg
    794ED1CE-4674-4825-92A1-D9998D1E9E5E.jpeg
    125.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 1B7CE166-B6F4-4B95-A83D-EC1AF4C95635.jpeg
    1B7CE166-B6F4-4B95-A83D-EC1AF4C95635.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 18
  • A0446004-A360-4571-BCD0-68412D3B1AD7.jpeg
    A0446004-A360-4571-BCD0-68412D3B1AD7.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 60EF7458-CCD2-4E2C-A0AB-1C30ACF3FFB1.jpeg
    60EF7458-CCD2-4E2C-A0AB-1C30ACF3FFB1.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 20
Enchiladas for the week. I found the can of cheese sauce at the Dollar General. We tasted it and it’s pretty good. So I decided to use it instead of red sauce. We added corn this time. They smell good!
We love cheese enchiladas. I usually make them when I have several bits and pieces of different kinds of cheddar cheese chunks leftover in the cheese drawer. I make a roux, add the cheeses, a teaspoon of sodium citrate, and some salt and pepper.

Sometimes I add sautéed vegetables, other times I just make cheese enchiladas.

I went to a newer restaurant for dinner yesterday, with several friends. One of their specialties is different kinds of half pound burgers: angus, bison, etc. I don’t eat meat but one of my friends ordered one of their burger specials. She ordered it well done.

When she took one bite of her burger she saw the inside was very pink, definitely not cooked well done. When the server stopped by our table she showed her that the burger was very pink.

The server told her it was pink because the burger was beef mixed with pork, and the pork wasn’t cooked well done, but the beef was. The server brought the manager over who confirmed that the pork would appear pink even though the beef was well done, lol.

Yeah, ignore that Fish shop charging a stupid amount.

Voting stations tend to be in schools, for ease of access for everyone. We vote on Saturdays for the same reason. (I assume observant Jewish people and Seventh Day Adventists opt to absentee or postal vote, which is an option for everybody who can't get to a polling station on the day.)

The sausage sizzle tends to be a fundraiser stall set up by the school itself, and if not them, by something like Lions or Rotary Club. Used to be $2, but I think I saw them for $3 or $4 yesterday. Cost of living. They were offering a choice of beef or chicken, though, and usually, it's just a cheap supermarket mystery meat sausage on cheaper white bread, so $4 is probably fair.

Much tastier than an 'I Voted' sticker.

Last edited:
Voting yesterday! I didn't buy a democracy sausage, but we did cook sausages for dinner at home. I had mine on bread with vintage cheddar cheese and chipotle barbeque sauce.

I had to chuckle at the idea of "democracy sausage", because all I could think of is that saying, "Anyone who loves the law or sausages should never watch either being made."

Just the idea that this is something the law (and politics) and sausages have in common, that one might like the end result but the process to get there is so distasteful. Made me laugh! But your description also made me hungry, ha.

I had to chuckle at the idea of "democracy sausage", because all I could think of is that saying, "Anyone who loves the law or sausages should never watch either being made."

Just the idea that this is something the law (and politics) and sausages have in common, that one might like the end result but the process to get there is so distasteful. Made me laugh! But your description also made me hungry, ha.
:D

The end result is, people turn up to vote (which is compulsory here), and the school or sports team or charity running the stall have a captive audience of people to make a bit of money to send their kids to camp or buy sports equipment or whatever. It's a good ploy. People expect one to be there, so they bring spare change. There was even a coffee cart there, too, which I assume were just operating for their own profit, which was set up for digital transactions, if the device I saw on their counter was anything to go by.

We used to take part in a small biannual local market when we lived very rural out west. We knit, spin, crochet, etc. in natural fibres. So we'd pay $20 for our table and sometimes make a couple of hundred bucks over two days. The organisers of the market were folks who ran the family history group for the town - it was of historical importance - and the husband of the main organising couple would set up out the front and sell $2 sausage sizzle until he ran out of supplies. He tended to run out before the end of the first day, no matter how much he brought. He never had to yell or try and draw folks to him. Cooking sausages advertise themselves. It and the trash and treasure jumble sale inside the town hall would make them enough to cover the administration costs for the group for the next six months.

It's food at its quickest, cheapest, and most basic, but also, tastiest. A cheap sausage cooked to a high char, equally charred onions, served on a cheap slice of white bread, spread with margarine, and topped with your choice - tomato or barbeque sauce. Tasty, filling, and you know that the money's generally going to something worthy, like a charity or community group, sending a group of kids on a camp, or buying them equipment they couldn't otherwise afford. Outside of voting, you tend to see them set up outside of places like Bunning's (hardware store) on a weekend.

The discussion of the "sausage sizzle" is making me so hungry! The earliest I can have something like that is tomorrow night, because tomorrow I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy. So my diet has been super boring since Thursday -- low fiber diet for 3 days and liquid diet today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MomTuTu