Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

I start out with something small, like a handful of Cheez-Its, a mini loaf of banana bread, small bagel, etc. Once the caffeine (iced tea) kicks in, I'll have brunch. Yesterday it was a turkey & cheese sandwich at 10:30am. Today, I think I'll warm up a piece of pizza.

Last night we got the Gourmet Spinach Pizza with tomatoes from Michelangelo's Pizza. Kiddo & I were celebrating her acceptance into vet school.
Congrats to your kiddo!

That sounds good. As a child we often had white rice for breakfast, served with milk , sugar and cinnamon, like a cereal.
My mom served us white rice for breakfast. She cooked long grain white rice, drained it, simmered the rice in milk with a little vanilla for a few minutes, then served it topped with a little brown sugar.

She also made rice cakes for breakfast. She would add a couple of eggs to a bowl of white rice, a little flour, vanilla and maybe a tablespoon of milk. Then she would fry in butter like pancakes, and serve with real maple syrup and butter. It was our absolute favorite breakfast.

My kids were at the big Chicago St. Patrick's Day Parade today. St. Patrick's Day is HUGE here and yes, I am of very Irish Heritage.

It is always a very joyful day with many parades, parties and enjoying Irish Pride..

I wish to pass on this old traditional Irish Blessing to you all!

May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be at your back.
May the sunshine be warm upon your face and

the rain fall softly upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

Short history of the Irish in the USA:
Up until the 1940's or 50's, you never wished to be identified as Irish here, we were still considered the lowly immigrant class. Your last name and your looks generally gave you away. Even more identifiable here was your attendance at a Catholic Grade/High School. Many historical reasons for that root back to life in Ireland before the Great Irish Potato Famine that killed a significant number of Irish Catholics and entirely wiped out some towns. Because of The Great Famine, Irish Catholics started immigrating to the east coast of the US in the late 1830's.

Back in the 1800's the Irish survived on potatoes. Daily, the average Irish man ate over 14 # of potatoes as their main sustenance. The potato crop was the natural source of nutrition in Ireland because of it's soil and the fact the crop thrived in overcast damp conditions. Ireland is just east of the Sea. Obviously, Cabbage also grew well under those conditions. Any type of meat was only eaten on special occasions.

Lots of Irish History is presented well in the Wiki article.

JMO

ETA - grammar

Last edited:
I start my day with my meds and a banana w yogurt. Then tea, sometimes decaf or I get the jitters.

Vet school is major, that's awesome! It's an intense program from what I know.
Thanks, yes it will be intense and a long, long way from home. She's going to be attending St. Georges University in Grenada, West Indies.

Thanks, yes it will be intense and a long, long way from home. She's going to be attending St. Georges University in Grenada, West Indies.
I hope you have an opportunity to visit your daughter on "the spice island". We've been to Grenada several times on Caribbean cruises. The island is breathtakingly beautiful and wonderfully fragrant with the aromas of the many spices for which the island is known. Cruising friends told us about a charming little restaurant where they had been, and we have gone there for lunch whenever the ship ports in Grenada. I wish your daughter all the best in her studies.

So, congee is more like a porridge ? We just had plain old rice, cooked as usual…. with milk, sugar and cinnamon. Just like cereal.
In reality, most likely because it was cheap, much cheaper than boxed cereal.
We always loved our mom’s warm rice breakfasts. It was much better than cold cereal.

Next to mom’s warm rice, which was our favorite, we liked cream of wheat. Not the instant kind but the original cooked on the stove for maybe ten minutes. Mom always made it with milk instead of water.

I was never a fan of cold cereal for breakfast.

Getting started with prep for St. Patrick's Day Shepherd's Pie . DH peeled and cut up Idaho potatoes before he left for his swim. Potatoes are in salted water on the stove for cooking and whipping with buttermilk. The fluffy potatoes go on top of the meat/vegetable mixture. I chopped mushrooms, carrots, and onion to add to the combination of ground lamb and ground round, and I also add frozen peas. Season with salt, pepper, dried rosemary and thyme. I make a little roux with beef stock to thicken, then spread the meat/veggie mixture in a casserole dish. I spread the whipped potatoes on top, then dot with butter and sprinkle with shredded Irish white chaddar. When the meat mixture begins to bubble, I turn on the broiler so the potatoes brown. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. We'll have leftover Shepherd's Pie for the next few days. Enjoy your day.

My GP graduated from med school in Grenada! The West Indies is beautiful honestly. I haven't been to Grenada but have been to the Turks and in among the various cays. Great excuse for a visit ;)

eta: you can get conch in Grenada too!! that is if shellfish are not a problem and also your kind of thing, it's very good.

Last edited:
So, congee is more like a porridge ? We just had plain old rice, cooked as usual…. with milk, sugar and cinnamon. Just like cereal.
In reality, most likely because it was cheap, much cheaper than boxed cereal.
I think I found a recipe for your dish. This person calls it “Old-Fashioned Cinnamon Sugar Rice”.

I am so happy you posted about this childhood rice “cereal” dish of yours, @neesaki . It’s so interesting to me to learn something new about food others grew up eating! I mean that, in all sincerity. This thread is so fun and enlightening.

We always loved our mom’s warm rice breakfasts. It was much better than cold cereal.

Next to mom’s warm rice, which was our favorite, we liked cream of wheat. Not the instant kind but the original cooked on the stove for maybe ten minutes. Mom always made it with milk instead of water.

I was never a fan of cold cereal for breakfast.
My brother liked cream of wheat. Mom's warm oatmeal with brown sugar was always great in cold weather. Stick to your ribs she called it. I also was a Cap'n Crunch kid, or peanut butter toast.

My brother liked cream of wheat. Mom's warm oatmeal with brown sugar was always great in cold weather. Stick to your ribs she called it. I also was a Cap'n Crunch kid, or peanut butter toast.
Cream of wheat hot cereal…we ate that, too! I liked it.

But now I just had another flash of memory when you mentioned that. I think my mom used to cut up cold leftover prepared cream of wheat into squares and pan fry them, to be eaten with butter and syrup on them. Is my memory right? Is that a thing, or am I thinking of something else? :p

But now I just had another flash of memory when you mentioned that. I think my mom used to cut up cold leftover prepared cream of wheat into squares and pan fry them, to be eaten with butter and syrup on them. Is my memory right? Is that a thing, or am I thinking of something else? :p
There was a recipe on the back of the old fashioned cream of wheat box for pan fried cream of wheat squares.

Sounds yummy but I have never had them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LightInv
Back