Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

...Also, I have a question: when we eat stew, we always eat it over rice. It’s how I grew up eating it. Is this the typical way others eat it, or is it a cultural thing, me being Japanese? Same with chili, we like it over rice. For my family, the rice is always short-grain rice, which is the stickier kind (Japanese). Just curious...
I make beef stew occasionally. Since it has potatoes along with carrots, onions, and mushrooms, I don't serve it over rice. I usually make dumplings with the stew, as well, and that is plenty of starch.

When DH and I were first married, one of our weekly go-to dinners was a can of Hormel Chili served over Minute Rice. The meal was quick, tasty, and very filling. We still enjoy Hormel Chili with rice occasionally, and it was a staple during the pandemic when we didn't go out for groceries frequently.

Last edited:
The other day we made Caldo de Res, which is a delicious Mexican beef soup with chunky vegetables. We made too much, and didn’t want to have soup again, so I had the idea to convert it into a stew by thickening the broth and adding some beef “Better than Bouillon”. Worked great! I love when you can “repurpose” leftovers into another dish.

Also, I have a question: when we eat stew, we always eat it over rice. It’s how I grew up eating it. Is this the typical way others eat it, or is it a cultural thing, me being Japanese? Same with chili, we like it over rice. For my family, the rice is always short-grain rice, which is the stickier kind (Japanese). Just curious.

I do use long-grain rice for other dishes, though. Like for the caldo de res, I made Mexican rice with it. If I make pilaf, I use it. So, I always have both types of rice in my kitchen.
Doesn't seem odd to me.

A meal my family did when I was a kid was Campbell's condensed pea and ham soup, prepared quite thick, served over macaroni. Never seen anyone else do it, seems to have been something one of my parents came up with.

Sometimes, something comes from broader culture, other times, it's just a quirk of your individual family.

The other day we made Caldo de Res, which is a delicious Mexican beef soup with chunky vegetables. We made too much, and didn’t want to have soup again, so I had the idea to convert it into a stew by thickening the broth and adding some beef “Better than Bouillon”. Worked great! I love when you can “repurpose” leftovers into another dish.

Also, I have a question: when we eat stew, we always eat it over rice. It’s how I grew up eating it. Is this the typical way others eat it, or is it a cultural thing, me being Japanese? Same with chili, we like it over rice. For my family, the rice is always short-grain rice, which is the stickier kind (Japanese). Just curious.

I do use long-grain rice for other dishes, though. Like for the caldo de res, I made Mexican rice with it. If I make pilaf, I use it. So, I always have both types of rice in my kitchen.
We usually eat cornbread with beef stew, or sometimes French bread.
With chili, we usually have Fritos corn chips or crackers. I grew up in the south so possibly it could be cultural, but I think also familial, as in that’s how we ate it when I was growing up.
I love repurposing leftovers too, such as using left over pot roast to make beef and bean burritos. I just add a little Mexican seasoning, chopped Poblano pepper, and some salsa or Rotel tomatoes to the beef and simmer for a bit.

Last edited:
In Hawaii, they call chili served with rice “chili rice”. I’m not Hawaiian, but it’s very common in the Japanese-American community to eat it this way. I have eaten it with Fritos like @neesaki before, and like it that way, too.

I first learned about eating it with Fritos when I was helping serve snacks at a booth for the kids playing soccer, around 30 years ago. One offering was chili poured right into the snack-size Fritos bag, which was new-to-me and surprising at the time! This is right here in Southern California, so it’s not just the South, neesaki! :) I thought it was strange at the time, but once I tasted chili with Fritos, I’m a fan, too.

Last edited:
We had beef stew out of a can the few times I can remember having it. My uncle made from scratch beef stew at Christmas. It was amazing. He had 2-3 kinds of fresh bread he’d bought at the Base. We dipped our bread in it.

I’ve seen people put thick chili on a bed of rice.
Cincinnati-style chili is served over a thick pile of spaghetti.

In Hawaii, they call chili served with rice “chili rice”. I’m not Hawaiian, but it’s very common in the Japanese-American community to eat it this way. I have eaten it with Fritos like @neesaki before, and like it that way, too.

I first learned about eating it with Fritos when I was helping serve snacks at a booth for the kids playing soccer, around 30 years ago. One offering was chili poured right into the snack-size Fritos bag, which was new-to-me and surprising at the time! This is right here in Southern California, so it’s not just the South, neesaki! :) I thought it was strange at the time, but once I tasted chili with Fritos, I’m a fan, too.
Chili served over Fritos in the snack bag is common here, especially at street fairs and small town festivals. We call it “walking tacos.”

Often it is served in a bowl, with chili poured over Fritos and topped with shredded cheese, diced onions, sour cream, and other ingredients.

Last edited:
Decided to food prep today to use up stuff before I went over to the church for the food pick up tonight.

Limas in the crock pot early this morning. I tossed in the Brussels & sugar snap peas too. There’s just a few ready at a time so really not worth getting the skillet out for them.

I made oatmeal raisin cookies, baked them off and froze most of them.

I made Shake n Bake Chicken but added about a 1/2 cup of flour to the seasoning packet. It not only stretched it so I had enough, but I liked the milder flavor.

Washed up a bunch of tomatoes to make marinara again tomorrow. Still need to clean up the kitchen some more too.

The food pick up at the church was busy this evening. There’s a lot of families struggling these days.

Attachments

• IMG_3369.jpeg
    IMG_3369.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3371.jpeg
    IMG_3371.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3376.jpeg
    IMG_3376.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3382.jpeg
    IMG_3382.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3383.jpeg
    IMG_3383.jpeg
    173.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3387.jpeg
    IMG_3387.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3388.jpeg
    IMG_3388.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3389.jpeg
    IMG_3389.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3377.jpeg
    IMG_3377.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 22

Yes, growing up, “frito pie” was served at school basketball and football games. Just like that… a small bag of Fritos that was slit along the side, then chili on top with cheese . It’s really yummy. Funny thing is, my DH said he had never heard of it!

Decided to food prep today to use up stuff before I went over to the church for the food pick up tonight.

Limas in the crock pot early this morning. I tossed in the Brussels & sugar snap peas too. There’s just a few ready at a time so really not worth getting the skillet out for them.

I made oatmeal raisin cookies, baked them off and froze most of them.

I made Shake n Bake Chicken but added about a 1/2 cup of flour to the seasoning packet. It not only stretched it so I had enough, but I liked the milder flavor.

Washed up a bunch of tomatoes to make marinara again tomorrow. Still need to clean up the kitchen some more too.

The food pick up at the church was busy this evening. There’s a lot of families struggling these days.
Your tomatoes are beautiful!

DH had a wisdom tooth extracted yesterday and can eat only soft foods for a few days. He had scrambled eggs when we got home and then napped for several hours. His other meals included Lipton Noodle Soup and oatmeal with mashed banana. I offered to make mashed potatoes, but DH said he'd rather have buttered noodles, so I'll cook spaetzle later. Matzoh ball soup (package) will be a good choice, along with a frittata with chopped spinach. Raspberry sorbet for a sweet treat.

I was more anxious about the procedure than DH and didn't sleep well Tuesday night. Thankfully, everything went smoothly, and we were in and out of the oral surgeon's office in 45 minutes. DH has had no bleeding, no pain, no swelling. We stayed awake long enough to watch Chicago Med then were off to bed for a good night's rest. By Saturday, DH should be able to eat normally; maybe we'll go out for Mexican.

Last edited:
Chili served over Fritos in the snack bag is common here, especially at street fairs and small town festivals. We call it “walking tacos.”

Often it is served in a bowl, with chili poured over Fritos and topped with shredded cheese, diced onions, sour cream, and other ingredients.
In the '70s and '80s, "Traveling Tacos" were a very popular party/potluck dish. "Traveling Tacos" are similar to 7-layer dips that have a base of refried beans topped with diced tomatoes, peppers, onions, sour cream, guacamole, olives, and cheese. "Traveling Tacos" had a seasoned ground beef base with all the usual taco toppings and was served warm with Fritos for dipping. I never liked Fritos - they seemed very salty. I was happy when tortilla chips were more readily available as they are much better for scooping up 7-layer dip or "traveling taco".

Last edited:
DH had a wisdom tooth extracted yesterday and can eat only soft foods for a few days. He had scrambled eggs when we got home and then napped for several hours. His other meals included Lipton Noodle Soup and oatmeal with mashed banana. I offered to make mashed potatoes, but DH said he'd rather have buttered noodles, so I'll cook spaetzle later. Matzoh ball soup (package) will be a good choice, along with a frittata with chopped spinach. Raspberry sorbet for a sweet treat.

I was more anxious about the procedure than DH and didn't sleep well Tuesday night. Thankfully, everything went smoothly, and we were in and out of the oral surgeon's office in 45 minutes. DH has had no bleeding, no pain, no swelling. We stayed awake long enough to watch Chicago Med then were off to bed for a good night's rest. By Saturday, DH should be able to eat normally; maybe we'll go out for Mexican.
I have a broken upper molar that will be extracted in late March. I'm dreading it and would be thrilled to have an experience like your DH's!

In the '70s and '80s, "Traveling Tacos" were a very popular party/potluck dish. "Traveling Tacos" are similar to 7-layer dips that have a base of refried beans topped with diced tomatoes, peppers, onions, sour cream, guacamole, olives, and cheese. "Traveling Tacos" had a seasoned ground beef base with all the usual taco toppings and was served warm with Fritos for dipping. I never liked Fritos - they seemed very salty. I was happy when tortilla chips were more readily available as they are much better for scooping up 7-layer dip or "traveling taco".
Fritos ARE salty. They do make a lightly salted (50% less sodium) version now, too, though. When you mix the Fritos with the chili, the salt gets mixed into the chili and the chips don’t seem so salty, imo.

I hope I don’t sound like a snobby person regarding tortilla chips (I don’t mean to)
blush2.gif
, but I guess I’m picky and only like to buy or make the type made from fried tortillas—the kind where it looks like this:
IMG_0265.jpeg

I don’t prefer the kind like Tostitos and other brands I see in the chips aisle of the supermarket. I will go to a Mexican market like Superior for a bag (whose look like the pic), or fry up my own. It’s a great way to use up those leftover corn tortillas that are going stale! Admittedly, I have not tried any supermarket brand in a very long time. Years. So, maybe there are better options now.

Fritos ARE salty. They do make a lightly salted (50% less sodium) version now, too, though. When you mix the Fritos with the chili, the salt gets mixed into the chili and the chips don’t seem so salty, imo.

I hope I don’t sound like a snobby person regarding tortilla chips (I don’t mean to)
blush2.gif
, but I guess I’m picky and only like to buy or make the type made from fried tortillas—the kind where it looks like this:
View attachment 487056

I don’t prefer the kind like Tostitos and other brands I see in the chips aisle of the supermarket. I will go to a Mexican market like Superior for a bag (whose look like the pic), or fry up my own. It’s a great way to use up those leftover corn tortillas that are going stale! Admittedly, I have not tried any supermarket brand in a very long time. Years. So, maybe there are better options now.
I agree w you about home made tortilla chips! There is a local Mexican restaurant that I go to for authentic corn chips as theirs are superior. They look very similar and are slightly oily and seasoned with Idk what but they're amazing!

I haven't tried to make them at home. The closest I come is cutting up a flour/corn tortilla and baking them until crispy. I think the restaurant I go to must oil and season their chips.

If I'm buying them I usually get the blue corn ones but I forget the brand name.

FWIW/FYI there is a major difference between corn and flour tortillas. Walking tacos are amazing too and super fun. When I was a kid, we'd just take the small bags of Doritos and add our toppings and just shake the bag up.

TraderJoe’s has good tortilla chips. Abd istco’s organic tortilla strips are good too.

I don’t care for Doritos with all the artificially flavored coatings on the chips.

I love the home made tortilla chips!

Sorry about typos in my above post. It wouldn’t let me edit when I noticed.

“And Costco’s organic tortilla strips…”

I have a broken upper molar that will be extracted in late March. I'm dreading it and would be thrilled to have an experience like your DH's!
I hope your procedure goes as well as DH's; I'm sure you'll be fine. He was more worried about the aftermath (bleeding, pain, swelling) than the actual procedure but has been very happy to have emerged without any after-effects. Two more days of antibiotics and antiseptic rinse until the bottle is empty (about 10 days). He declined a script for pain med and didn't really need it. They sent us home with two packages of gauze and two ice packs that were never needed. Last day for soft foods only. Last night we had baked potatoes; tonight we're having walleye with chopped fresh spinach.

Last edited:
My new foster furbaby, Bear really wanted me to share my oatmeal raisin cookie. He’s definitely been fed people food in the past. His Kitchen Supervisor skills are on point! Ha!

Yesterday was a batch of marinara and a skillet of cornbread. He inspected the broccoli from the garden too.

Attachments

• IMG_3396.jpeg
    IMG_3396.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3399.jpeg
    IMG_3399.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3400.jpeg
    IMG_3400.jpeg
    136.4 KB · Views: 17

Members online

Online statistics