Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

The quest for the best burger in metro Detroit continues.

Even though I made Shepherd's Pie for St. Patrick's Day (ground lamb and ground round), DH wanted burgers on Thursday. I can only eat half a burger and will finish mine for lunch today. We don't eat meat on Fridays during Lent, so I couldn't finish my blue cheese burger yesterday. We had takeout fish & chips last night and will probably get a pizza tonight. I've been watching the World Figure Skating Championships and haven't been cooking, but I plan to make Mediterranean chickpea stew with rice tomorrow.

Last edited:
I’m ok with the flavor & some small chunks. I just don’t want to taste a big piece. It’s more texture.

I used to eat raw celery all the time. But now it’s too hard to chew, after all my dental work.
We had to give up celery when my partner went low FODMAP. Don't miss it as much as onions, but there's nothing really like it that's something she can eat. At least onion we can get in there via infused oils.

We had to give up celery when my partner went low FODMAP. Don't miss it as much as onions, but there's nothing really like it that's something she can eat. At least onion we can get in there via infused oils.
I have never especially cared for raw celery, too stringy for my liking. But I love it in soups, casseroles, and any other way cooked. I love the flavor, just not the stringy texture of raw celery.

I have never especially cared for raw celery, too stringy for my liking. But I love it in soups, casseroles, and any other way cooked. I love the flavor, just not the stringy texture of raw celery.
Whereas a favourite snack of mine when I was a kid was a whole stalk with what we called mayonnaise (but was actually more correctly a salad dressing made with condensed milk and vinegar) down the length of it. The stringy nature didn't really bother me. I have more problems with things that are too smooth in texture.

Who remembers the childhood snack, "bugs on a log"? Mom made them with cream cheese or peanut butter spread in celery stalks, topped with raisins - the "bugs". These were also a popular appetizer in the '50s and '60s. I still like to dip celery sticks in crunchy peanut butter.

Last edited:

For a raw substitute, jicama is nice and crunchy and good for dipping.
For a cooked substitute, I wonder if daikon radish chunks would work, like in soups or stews, etc.

Who remembers the childhood snack, "bugs on a log"? Mom made them with cream cheese or peanut butter spread in celery stalks, topped with raisins - the "bugs". These were also a popular appetizer in the '50s and '60s. I still like to dip celery sticks in crunchy peanut butter.

I did these for my kids but used chocolate chips on top of the peanut butter. They’re not big fans of raisins. Of course that was before our peanut allergy reared its ugly head.

For a raw substitute, jicama is nice and crunchy and good for dipping.
For a cooked substitute, I wonder if daikon radish chunks would work, like in soups or stews, etc.
It's impossible to get jicama in Australia, as far as I know. I've never seen it here, and I didn't even know it existed until a couple of years ago when someone mentioned it on a US cooking show and I googled what it was.

It's impossible to get jicama in Australia, as far as I know. I've never seen it here, and I didn't even know it existed until a couple of years ago when someone mentioned it on a US cooking show and I googled what it was.
Oh! :oops: Here is Southern California it is ubiquitous, so I didn’t even think. Sorry ‘bout that.

Do you have Asian or Mexican markets near you? Maybe they will carry it?

Oh! :oops: Here is Southern California it is ubiquitous, so I didn’t even think. Sorry ‘bout that.

Do you have Asian or Mexican markets near you? Maybe they will carry it?
We have one tiny pan Asian grocery store in our shopping centre, but it does not sell jicama. Daikon, mushrooms, snake beans, Asian greens and fresh herbs, yes, from a small table at the front of the shop, but no jicama. Most of their produce is shelf stable or frozen.

We do have an amazing large independent green grocer that sells all kinds of weird, wonderful and heirloom things, but even there, I've never seen jicama.

I find jicama is similar in crunch and consistency to canned water chestnuts.
Yes! In fact, where we used to use chopped water chestnuts, we now have been using jicama. Like in fried wontons, Asian stir fry dishes, or the stuffing we make to serve with our Thanksgiving turkey.
lick.gif

I love all types of cheese, and I’m always eager to sample cheese varieties that I haven’t had yet.

So the article entitled “The Most Dangerous Cheese in the World” caught my attention.

Few cheeses on earth are as unique and provocative as Casu Marzu. Often referred to as “the forbidden cheese”, “the maggot cheese”, and even “the world’s most dangerous cheese”, this Sardinian delicacy brings out some strong reactions.

At just the right point of maturing, the top of each wheel is partially removed, exposing the developing curds. The eggs of the cheese fly are deposited inside, and the rind replaced. When the translucent, white larvae hatch they begin consuming the interior.

Their digestive process causes advanced fermentation to take place, which turns the interior into a soft, creamy texture. (The name, Casu Marzu, translates to “rotting cheese”, a nod to the process it undergoes.) Oozing beads of fatty liquid called lagrima, “tears” in the local dialect, slide down the cut exterior of the wheel as it matures, a sign the process is working as intended.

This sounds like a great recipe! I don’t ever strain the veggies out of my soup recipes, I just leave them in or use an immersion blender.
That's actually not that hard to make, seriously. It looks harder than it is. If someone's worried about the sodium, this is a great one because you can get the celery cream and completely control the amount of salt in the recipe.

I don't use hardly any salt when I cook. OMG, it's so good, seriously.

I love all types of cheese, and I’m always eager to sample cheese varieties that I haven’t had yet.

So the article entitled “The Most Dangerous Cheese in the World” caught my attention.

Few cheeses on earth are as unique and provocative as Casu Marzu. Often referred to as “the forbidden cheese”, “the maggot cheese”, and even “the world’s most dangerous cheese”, this Sardinian delicacy brings out some strong reactions.

At just the right point of maturing, the top of each wheel is partially removed, exposing the developing curds. The eggs of the cheese fly are deposited inside, and the rind replaced. When the translucent, white larvae hatch they begin consuming the interior.

Their digestive process causes advanced fermentation to take place, which turns the interior into a soft, creamy texture. (The name, Casu Marzu, translates to “rotting cheese”, a nod to the process it undergoes.) Oozing beads of fatty liquid called lagrima, “tears” in the local dialect, slide down the cut exterior of the wheel as it matures, a sign the process is working as intended.
aghast.gif

yikes_anim.gif

Umm, I think that would have to be a definite “No” from me.
Would you try it, @IceIce9 ?

We did this but with Cheez Whiz not peanut butter and raisins. Sometimes mayo but usually hummus these days.

It was always celery with Cheez Whiz and crackers with peanut butter and juice boxes or milk as a school snack.

We did this but with Cheez Whiz not peanut butter and raisins. Sometimes mayo but usually hummus these days.

It was always celery with Cheez Whiz and crackers with peanut butter and juice boxes or milk as a school snack.
And now there are actual "survivalist" chefs out on Nat Geo channel eating REAL bugs, off REAL logs in the Amazon Rainforest, lol... I'll stick with the celery.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dena24
Back