Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

I’m ok with the flavor & some small chunks. I just don’t want to taste a big piece. It’s more texture.

I used to eat raw celery all the time. But now it’s too hard to chew, after all my dental work.
I so agree, my mom taught me how to strip/string the back of the celery. I do think celery has been modified during the years to reduce that those strong strings.

Celery is the best when it is really fresh. Look at the top and bottom of the stalk, if it looks old and dried out, don't buy it.

JMO

aghast.gif

yikes_anim.gif

Umm, I think that would have to be a definite “No” from me.
Would you try it, @IceIce9 ?
I couldn’t even finish watching a video I found. I can’t believe anyone would try it.

I love all types of cheese, and I’m always eager to sample cheese varieties that I haven’t had yet.

So the article entitled “The Most Dangerous Cheese in the World” caught my attention.

Few cheeses on earth are as unique and provocative as Casu Marzu. Often referred to as “the forbidden cheese”, “the maggot cheese”, and even “the world’s most dangerous cheese”, this Sardinian delicacy brings out some strong reactions.

At just the right point of maturing, the top of each wheel is partially removed, exposing the developing curds. The eggs of the cheese fly are deposited inside, and the rind replaced. When the translucent, white larvae hatch they begin consuming the interior.

Their digestive process causes advanced fermentation to take place, which turns the interior into a soft, creamy texture. (The name, Casu Marzu, translates to “rotting cheese”, a nod to the process it undergoes.) Oozing beads of fatty liquid called lagrima, “tears” in the local dialect, slide down the cut exterior of the wheel as it matures, a sign the process is working as intended.
Yikes! That is a hard No! from me.

Reading about that cheese reminded me of how the dangerous Fugu pufferfish is considered a delicacy in Japan.

When I was in Japan last summer, my husband tried it!
nervous.gif
I was nervous for him, but he really wanted to (yeah, he’s crazy :rolleyes: ). He said the taste was unremarkable.

It’s funny you are mentioning fugu, because I was just watching a YouTube that was about farming fugu, so that they are non-poisonous, because it’s what they eat in the wild that makes them toxic. So now I wonder if what my husband ate was farmed or not.
fishing.gif
:p

I love all types of cheese, and I’m always eager to sample cheese varieties that I haven’t had yet.

So the article entitled “The Most Dangerous Cheese in the World” caught my attention.

Few cheeses on earth are as unique and provocative as Casu Marzu. Often referred to as “the forbidden cheese”, “the maggot cheese”, and even “the world’s most dangerous cheese”, this Sardinian delicacy brings out some strong reactions.

At just the right point of maturing, the top of each wheel is partially removed, exposing the developing curds. The eggs of the cheese fly are deposited inside, and the rind replaced. When the translucent, white larvae hatch they begin consuming the interior.

Their digestive process causes advanced fermentation to take place, which turns the interior into a soft, creamy texture. (The name, Casu Marzu, translates to “rotting cheese”, a nod to the process it undergoes.) Oozing beads of fatty liquid called lagrima, “tears” in the local dialect, slide down the cut exterior of the wheel as it matures, a sign the process is working as intended.
Thank you for sharing this. I'm always open to trying new foods, but I'm not sure I'd brave Casu Marzu. That said, I like to attend wine tastings on cruises and especially enjoy small, private events with just a few people (10-12). Guests sit at a communal bar table with a sommelier who presents several wines accompanied by assorted cheeses or chocolates. During one wine/cheese tasting, we sampled Morbier that the sommelier described as "dead cheese" (think "morbid", "morbidity"). The Morbier was paired with a crisp chilled Reisling. I enjoyed it but others were not crazy about it. I wondered if the description of "dead cheese" turned them off to giving it a chance.

WOW, and I thought Limburger Cheese was bad!

ETA - There are not many places in the US that make or carry Limburger Cheese. If you ever have a great desire to taste it, Baumgartener' Shop In Monroe WI makes a mean Limburger sandwich. They are right there on the Town Square and have been there for almost 100 years. It is the oldest Cheese shop in Wisconsin.

As a rule, I would say anytime a fly's eggs are involved in the production of anything, that is a hard NO from me.

Last edited:
As a rule, I would say anytime a fly's eggs are involved in the production of anything, that is a hard NO from me.

But have you heard of (it cringes me to even say it) maggot therapy?

They’re used on some wounds with dead tissue as it is supposed to heal the wound faster and more effectively. Can you imagine? That would be hard for me to agree to using that method on me.
yuck.gif

Sorry for the non-food related post. Did I just cause us all to lose our appetites now? o_O

Limburger cheese reminds me of a high school prank….a friends BF cheated on her.we caught him away from his car during the winter and stuffed Limburger cheese in all the vents. It was awesome. He drove around the next few weeks with no heat and the windows down.

But have you heard of (it cringes me to even say it) maggot therapy?

They’re used on some wounds with dead tissue as it is supposed to heal the wound faster and more effectively. Can you imagine? That would be hard for me to agree to using that method on me.
yuck.gif

Sorry for the non-food related post. Did I just cause us all to lose our appetites now? o_O
OMG, cannot resist noting my childhood story where I had this plastic play "cake" pan I used to play with in the backyard. I left it out there upside down, full of mud, it rained. I went back to it a little later, pulled the play pan up from the mud pie i'd made. The top of the "mud pie" was crawling with maggots. Ewww, so gross! It looked like a living, crawling coconut pie, like the most disgusting thing ever.

And ironically, what are we having for dessert next weekend? You guessed it-- coconut cream pie!! You can't make this stuff up, I just went and bought all the coconut and such. But this pie won't be moving, lol. Maybe I'll change to lemon now, LOL.

New Campbell’s Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup

Attachments

• IMG_4316.jpeg
    IMG_4316.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 3
New Campbell’s Grilled Cheese and Tomato Soup

That reminds me, not sure how long this fancy version of Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom soup has been around, but I hadn’t seen it until the other day:

Condensed Cream of Cremini and Shiitake Mushroom Soup​

Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Cremini & Shiitake Mushroom Soup is the ultimate cooking companion: a blend of mushrooms, beef stock and a touch of fresh cream. Deliciously creamy and rich in texture, this versatile soup acts as a flavorful foundation for recipes like One-Pot Ground Beef Stroganoff. For more cooking inspiration, visit Campbells.com’s Recipe Page.

Last edited:

GRROOOSSSSSSS

Even when I go to our local natural foods store, I walk as far away as I can from their fresh cheese department. I think I posted here a few days ago, how I can’t even stand the smell of Asiago on pizza.

I have been craving waffles so I made some this morning. They didn’t come out crispy. I cooked them longer too. Maybe the banana was too dense. I’ll have to toast them. Good flavor but I think a tad more spice would be good.

Attachments

• IMG_3694.jpeg
    IMG_3694.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3671.jpeg
    IMG_3671.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3672.jpeg
    IMG_3672.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3673.jpeg
    IMG_3673.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 10
I'm a breakfast lover, and got 21 of 22 right on the quiz. And now I want a special breakfast! :D --Oh, just remembered that there's a package of frozen blueberry pancakes in the freezer--now I just need to remember that in the morning. We always have a jug of Vermont maple syrup on hand.
Did you have your tooth extraction yet? I hope it went (or goes) well. Will you be singing with your church choir for Easter?

Tabasco has a new version of hot sauce called Scorpion, and I think the flavor is great. It’s my favorite one, recommending for any Tabasco and heat enthusiasts:

“Introducing our hottest sauce yet: TABASCO® Scorpion Pepper Sauce. Culled from the flames of flavor, this fiery sauce features a dynamic mix of scorpion peppers, guava, and pineapple—all blended with a splash of TABASCO®.While typical red peppers used to make Original Red sauce fall between 2,500 to 5,000 Scoville Units, one scorpion pepper can pack a potent punch of roughly 2 million. Nearly 20 times hotter than our Original Red, TABASCO® Scorpion Pepper Sauce is not for the faint of heart. Flavor responsibly.”

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back