Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

You make your own cocktail sauce ? Kudos to you! I buy it, then add horseradish. I like simple thing like that the easy way, lol.
I always make my own cocktail sauce. Ketchup, horseradish, lemon zest and juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, and a splash or two of hot sauce to taste. Tastes much better than the bottled versions which I think are too sweet.

I did some cooking yesterday. Squash casserole, pulled pork in the crock pot, Greek Salad for lunches.

I went to the produce pick up today since my garden is essentially done for the season. They asked me if I could use some extra spinach, after giving me 3 containers of it. I said sure and they gave me a case, 6 more containers! I will cook it down with garlic, onion, salt & pepper.

They gave me enough bananas and plantains to feed a monkey colony. Most of them are in really bad shape. I've bagged them for trash as I don't think anyone would want them. If I put that many in my compost bin, I'd have a banana tree growing!

Lots of corn so I'll make fried corn again and freeze it. The russet potatoes are huge. I usually bake 2 potatoes at a time, cut them in half long ways and it's 4 meals. But these are so big, each potato is probably 3-4 meals!

I washed up the grapes but haven't tried them yet. I don't think I've ever had Muscat Beauty before.

I have some little Kit Kat bars in the freezer so I don't think I'll make a dessert for the week.
I love baby spinach and often munch on it right out of the carton. Could you make quiches or breakfast stratas and freeze them? I like spinach in scrambled eggs, and I add baby spinach to most green salads for color and texture. Aside from asparagus, spinach is my favorite vegetable :)

I love baby spinach and often munch on it right out of the carton. Could you make quiches or breakfast stratas and freeze them? I like spinach in scrambled eggs, and I add baby spinach to most green salads for color and texture. Aside from asparagus, spinach is my favorite vegetable :)
Oh we love spinach in our eggs with tomatoes & feta cheese. We make a breakfast casserole with spinach. We add spinach to our salads too. But this amount I don’t think we could eat before it spoils

LOL, NO ketchup on hot dogs!! I do the cocktail sauce, too. What about meatloaf, though? I do it for meatloaf and BBQ xtra ingredient in the sauce.

Dirty Harry on hot dogs:
No ketchup in or on meatloaf. I rarely make BBQ sauce, but I do add a little ketchup along with several other ingredients. I cringe when I see people put ketchup on eggs :eek:

Last edited:
Made Gen Tsao's chicken day before yesterday and chicken satay today. There are like a lot of variations of chicken satay out there, not all use the coconut milk, which was good for me cuz I'm out of it. Did have coconut flakes, though, so used those.

Had a Daily Double at McDonalds, I love them, LOL. Am a McDonalds person, loovve McDonalds.

I might have perfected quiche baked at 3500 feet elevation. 4 eggs, one cup 18% cream, half a ham steak, a cup of shredded cheddar, mushrooms. Pour eggs and cream over steak. 405°for 15 minutes, 355°fir 35 minutes. Brunch

Made Gen Tsao's chicken day before yesterday and chicken satay today. There are like a lot of variations of chicken satay out there, not all use the coconut milk, which was good for me cuz I'm out of it. Did have coconut flakes, though, so used those.

Had a Daily Double at McDonalds, I love them, LOL. Am a McDonalds person, loovve McDonalds.
The only thing I really like from McDonald’s is Filet-o-Fish. Occasionally I get an Egg McMuffin when I am traveling. I used to like the fries before they changed them, when they used beef tallow instead of vegetable oil.

Do you have a recipe for your General Tsao’s sauce? I love the General Tsao’s Tofu at a couple of Chinese restaurants but haven’t found a good recipe to use at home.

Happy Mother's Day to all the foodies here. Whatever your plans, I hope you have a lovely day.

We hadn't had takeout from P.F. Chang's since last fall because we had both been very disappointed with our orders. We hadn't made plans for dinner on Thursday and decided that we'd give Chang's another chance. I had pork egg rolls that were very good, and DH liked his shrimp lo mein. We also shared spring rolls that are always tasty. We can add P.F. Chang back into our takeout rotation that includes Jet's for pizza and New York Burger & Grill (breakfast, sandwiches, fish & chips).

Last night DH made jumbo scallops with capellini pasta in butter, lemon, wine sauce. He added leftover asparagus. It was delicious! Tonight, we are having filet mignons with baked potatoes and broccoli with Trader Joe's New York Cheesecake for dessert. I macerated fresh strawberries with lemon juice and sugar for a topping. It's going to be a gorgeous day here in southeastern lower Michigan. We have no plans other than watching the Mother's Day marathon of Law & Order: Special Victim's Unit on USA.

The only thing I really like from McDonald’s is Filet-o-Fish. Occasionally I get an Egg McMuffin when I am traveling. I used to like the fries before they changed them, when they used beef tallow instead of vegetable oil.

Do you have a recipe for your General Tsao’s sauce? I love the General Tsao’s Tofu at a couple of Chinese restaurants but haven’t found a good recipe to use at home.
The one I tried to use was Jet Tila's.
But I had to make a few changes because I didn't have the chili paste. I used a mix of sambal and sriracha. Used brown sugar instead of white.
Serranos were the chilis I used, and I fried the chicken in olive oil. They recommend against olive oil for frying, but have to say, it turned out extremely well, and I didn't have any smoking.

My husband made his classic. Un ajiaco, tradicional dish from the Colombian highlands, basically a thick soup with chicken, three very different types of potato, "arracacha" like swede type. With onion and a kind of nettle called "guasca", peas and sweetcorn (but not the young sweetcorn)

You serve it with cream, capers and slices of avocado

These are two of my faves, too, especially the fish, but it's shot up in price relatively recently. Luuvvv the breakfast burritos!! I save any extra picante sauce and use it in my own cooks, LOL

The one I tried to use was Jet Tila's.
But I had to make a few changes because I didn't have the chili paste. I used a mix of sambal and sriracha. Used brown sugar instead of white.
Serranos were the chilis I used, and I fried the chicken in olive oil. They recommend against olive oil for frying, but have to say, it turned out extremely well, and I didn't have any smoking.
Thank you, I will give it a try.

Yesterday I went to a restaurant for breakfast, it is a very popular place and I go there at least once a month. It has always had a solid five star rating.

I happened to look at the reviews yesterday because I wanted to see if there were any photos of some new menu items. A recent review got my attention because it was a one star review. It was odd because all the others were five star:

“The food was excellent but I am leaving a one star review because AUNTS WERE CRAWLING ON MY TABLE AND AUNTS WERE CRAWLING AROUND ON THE PATIO. If you eat outside WATCH OUT FOR THE AUNTS!!”

Last edited:
I found o box of these on my pantry, with that same first UPC code.
Check out the two comments below the article, two others in two separate states also found the same thing. I’m not in Arizona or Illinois!

McCormick & Company, Inc. of Hunt Valley, MD, is recalling French’s Original Crispy Fried Onions in various sizes because of the potential growth of Staphylococcus aureus.

According to the recall posted online by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the recall was initiated on March 18, 2024, and is ongoing.

The recalled products were distributed in Arizona and Illinois.
Recalled products:
FRENCH S CRISPY FRIED ONIONS ORIG 16/6 OZ, Case Pack – 16/6 OZ,

• Product Quantity: 6.0 ounce – 3,456 Units
  • UPC: 041500220208
FRENCH S CRISPY FRIED ONIONS ORIG 240/26.5 OZ PDM

• Product Quantity: 26.5 ounce – 720 Pouches
  • UPC: 041500959030
Consumers should not use this product. Recalled products should be thrown out or returned to their place of purchase.

About Staphylococcus aureus
Staphylococcus aureus is a bacterium that usually causes rapid food poisoning symptoms, including nausea, vomiting, retching, abdominal cramping, and prostration. In more severe cases, headache, muscle cramping and transient changes in blood pressure and pulse may occur. Recovery generally takes two days, and everyone is susceptible. While it is rare, some people have died from such infections, particularly the elderly, infants, and those who were severely debilitated.
-recalled-over-staphylococcus-aureus-concerns/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cloudy89
Back