Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

Van Leeuwen Ice Cream usually draws customers with gourmet takes on classics like vanilla and pistachio. But occasionally, the artisanal ice cream maker headquartered in New York slips in what it calls a “shock flavor,” like Hidden Valley Ranch or pizza.

Surprising flavor combinations — think gravy-flavored Jones Soda or Sour Patch Kids Oreos — are showing up more frequently in grocery stores and restaurant chains. Hershey recently introduced pink lemonade-flavored Kit Kats, while IHOP and Lay’s brought out Rooty Tooty Fresh n’ Fruity potato chips, designed to taste like strawberry-topped pancakes with a hint of bacon.

While it’s tempting to pass off these limited-time flavors as social media stunts, experts say there’s more to the story. Food companies are responding to the changing and expanding tastes of consumers while also trying to keep brands relevant and distinct to win space on crowded store shelves...
I love the shock stuff, lol. It just makes life more interesting.

Weirdly, though, I've done so much shock stuff and elaborate stuff lately I just yesterday went into "plain" mode with smashburgers, LOL. Yesterday, did single smash, mild cheddar. Today, double smash, sharp cheddar. Mayo, lettuce, mustard, raw onion. Today I added lettuce to the double smash, too. Nothing done to the meat but s&p, fried in butter.

Just saw the asparagus ice cream. I'd try that, LOL.

Weirdly, though, I've done so much shock stuff and elaborate stuff lately I just yesterday went into "plain" mode with smashburgers, LOL. Yesterday, did single smash, mild cheddar. Today, double smash, sharp cheddar. Mayo, lettuce, mustard, raw onion. Today I added lettuce to the double smash, too. Nothing done to the meat but s&p, fried in butter.

Years ago there was a restaurant in Las Vegas called The Garlic Cafe. It was a gourmet restaurant with an extensive menu. I think it closed in 2005.

The food was made to order, and you would select the garlic level, from one clove to five cloves for each item.

Everything on the menu had garlic as an ingredient, even desserts. They had a garlic ice cream that was supposed to be quite tasty.

Me, too. Some years ago, a friend made an asparagus cake when she hosted us for dinner. It was amazing, and I asked for the recipe. I recall making it once but no longer have the recipe. Some vegetables are actually quite tasty as desserts - carrot cake and zucchini bread come to mind.

Me, too. Some years ago, a friend made an asparagus cake when she hosted us for dinner. It was amazing, and I asked for the recipe. I recall making it once but no longer have the recipe. Some vegetables are actually quite tasty as desserts - carrot cake and zucchini bread come to mind.
Beetroot brownies are great. Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's recipe is a good one, produces a cakey style brownie. Works well with gluten free flour. And don't bother grating the cooked beetroot. Just pulse them in a blender. It's quicker and less chance of you bleeding.

Years ago there was a restaurant in Las Vegas called The Garlic Cafe. It was a gourmet restaurant with an extensive menu. I think it closed in 2005.

The food was made to order, and you would select the garlic level, from one clove to five cloves for each item.

Everything on the menu had garlic as an ingredient, even desserts. They had a garlic ice cream that was supposed to be quite tasty.

You'd have to be a huge garlic fan to add it to ice cream, lol. I guess I'm not sophisticated enough for that kind of gourmet food.

Friends who lived in suburban Boston their whole lives bought a condo and moved to Fort Myers, FL in February. They were happy to dodge some major snowfalls in Boston and have, so far, loved the climate in their new digs. They have yet to experience a hot, humid Florida summer - the reason that snowbirds return to Michigan in April or May. They have a standing invitation to come here if the sunshine state becomes unbearably hot and humid :D
You have a point…. We’ve never been that big a fan of Florida due to the heat and humidity. We have it in Texas too, but we have all four seasons… We have visited Florida a few times over the years. Mostly for Disney World. But also spent some time in Destin . Now that is some HOT sand!

I went to the church for groceries this morning. This beef looks like it would be good for beef stew. I’m going to look at recipes. I have beef broth & the better than bullion that my Uncle recommended.

I’m back on my Greek Salad kick again. I’ll sauté up the chicken to top my salad.

I don’t think we will like that cheese. We are not fans of goat cheese. Not sure about sheep cheese. Maybe in quiche?

I never did make banana bread last week. Maybe I’ll do that tomorrow before the sun is ridiculous. It’s already 88, feels like 94. I have the sprinkler on in front. I refuse to let my strawberry patch die!

The sardines, tuna & almond granola bars went right into the free food box.

Attachments

• IMG_4734.jpeg
    IMG_4734.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4735.jpeg
    IMG_4735.jpeg
    151.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4736.jpeg
    IMG_4736.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4737.jpeg
    IMG_4737.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4738.jpeg
    IMG_4738.jpeg
    259.1 KB · Views: 20
Even though we've had temperatures running about 10* above normal for almost a month, Memorial Day weekend marks the start of the summer season here in Michigan. Beaches, campgrounds, picnic groves, seasonal attractions, etc. are open for summer recreation, while thousands of Michiganders head "up north" for the holiday weekend. We're staying put as we don't like the traffic congestion when everyone heads back home on Memorial Day. We went to Nino's yesterday and got plenty of food for the long weekend.

DH went to Costco on Thursday and got a roto chicken and sockeye salmon. We each had some chicken last night (I like the little drumsticks) and cut up the rest for chicken salad and Greek lemon chicken rice soup. I put the carcass along with celery, leek, shallot, lemon, dill, chicken base, salt, pepper, and water in the slow cooker about an hour ago. I will let it simmer for several hours before straining and discarding the carcass and veggies. It's supposed to rain on Monday, so I'll make the Avgolemono on Memorial Day, and we'll have our holiday dinner - NY strip steaks, pasta salad, asparagus - tomorrow. Tonight we're having Michigan chicken salad on a bed of spring greens. The salad is chopped chicken breast, celery, dried cherries, toasted walnuts, blue cheese, dried tarragon, and raspberry vinaigrette. I'm going to make two versions of pasta salad - one as a side dish and the other with chunks of Genoa salami and Provolone to be eaten as a main course. All this food should last until the middle of next week, so I won't have to do prep or cooking for a while.

Whether you're traveling or hanging out at home, have a lovely Memorial Day weekend. Be safe.

I went to the church for groceries this morning. This beef looks like it would be good for beef stew. I’m going to look at recipes. I have beef broth & the better than bullion that my Uncle recommended.

I’m back on my Greek Salad kick again. I’ll sauté up the chicken to top my salad.

I don’t think we will like that cheese. We are not fans of goat cheese. Not sure about sheep cheese. Maybe in quiche?

I never did make banana bread last week. Maybe I’ll do that tomorrow before the sun is ridiculous. It’s already 88, feels like 94. I have the sprinkler on in front. I refuse to let my strawberry patch die!

I love sheep’s milk cheese! One of my friends doesn’t like goat cheese but loves sheep’s milk cheese. I hope you like it!

I love goat cheese, most often in salads. Do you ever use feta cheese in your Greek salad?

Sorry my post didn’t post last night…..
I’m just trying to imagine what asparagus ice cream would taste like.

I love goat cheese, most often in salads. Do you ever use feta cheese in your Greek salad?
Yes I like feta cheese. I was prepping the ingredients earlier. Cut up that long cucumber, drained a can of chickpeas & beets. I put all that in the fridge to chill. I have fresh tomatoes. Not sure if my carrots are still good. I like to grate those in it too.

I bought a new jar of black Greek olives and a new bottle of Marie’s Greek dressing. No potato salad or red onions. I had to buy Romaine! It doesn’t grow in the summer heat here.

I remember when this was super trendy!

@anneg I like feta in my scrambled eggs with a bit of sweet peppers and spinach.

We make a salad I love, that we have as a side salad with pork steaks in the summer.

Apple, cucumber, tomatoes. The dressing is pomegranate molasses and Chang's crispy noodle salad dressing. The Chang's dressing is really nice and savoury with a lot of sesame flavour. The pomegranate molasses is really tart. It's refreshing and balances well against the fatty richness of the meat.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
myauris11
Back