Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

When it’s too dang hot to cook, you nap like a dog. Joey, my new foster furbaby.

Tonight’s no cook menu:

Joey: Dry Kibble, water. A cheese cube for bedtime snack.

Me: Greek salad, water.

All the ingredients are coming to room temp so I can bake bread later tonight. Like when the sun goes down! I have a strawberry cream cheese bread recipe to try and banana bread. I’m going to put a few baking potatoes in the oven also.

Attachments

• IMG_4777.jpeg
    IMG_4777.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 22
When it’s too dang hot to cook, you nap like a dog. Joey, my new foster furbaby.

Tonight’s no cook menu:

All the ingredients are coming to room temp so I can bake bread later tonight. Like when the sun goes down! I have a strawberry cream cheese bread recipe to try and banana bread. I’m going to put a few baking potatoes in the oven also.
Joey is so cute! When can I come and pick him up : )

All summer long we love fresh cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, feta, bow tie pasta salad.
Yum!! I love a good bowtie or penne pasta salad :D

I used to have a small garden with cherry tomatoes, basil, strawberries and sweet peas. One of my favorite things was to just sit outside in the sun, picking the tomatoes and basil off with a bit of cheese and a glass of wine. Sometimes a few strawberries in the wine too!

Tonight’s no cook menu:

He looks a little like my guy

Attachments

• IMG_4218.jpeg
    IMG_4218.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 14

Tonight’s no cook menu:

I had to look up "strawberry cream cheese bread" just for curiosity. It sounds delish, let us know how it turns out?

It smells wonderful and tastes good. Not too sweet. I did have an issue with the way the recipe tells you to mix wet ingredients with the dry ingredients. I’ll attach the recipe.

Step 8 says to add the butter mixture into the flour mixture. I did that and it was so hard to blend it. It should say add the dry ingredients slowly to the butter mixture. That way it actually blends well.

When I was folding in the strawberries, there were sections that were still dry. So I ended up stirring it a lot to get it 100% blended. I doubled the recipe too. That may be part of the problem. It was over mixed. I think that’s why it sank.

When I first cut it I thought the bottom was raw but it’s not. The strawberries went to the bottom. I used my mini chopper and I think it made them too fine.

My oldest daughter made this with GF flour and loves it. She may use coconut milk too. She’s out in the Gulf of Mexico so I can’t ask her if her loaves sank.

I was worried the pans would overflow as it rose. So I used a smaller loaf pan for the extra batter.

I never got to the potatoes or banana bread tonight. Tomorrow is another day!

Attachments

• IMG_4784.jpeg
    IMG_4784.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4778.jpeg
    IMG_4778.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4780.jpeg
    IMG_4780.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4781.jpeg
    IMG_4781.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4782.jpeg
    IMG_4782.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4786.jpeg
    IMG_4786.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4788.jpeg
    IMG_4788.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Strawberry Cream Cheese Bread.pdf
    188.3 KB · Views: 4
It smells wonderful and tastes good. Not too sweet. I did have an issue with the way the recipe tells you to mix wet ingredients with the dry ingredients. I’ll attach the recipe.

Step 8 says to add the butter mixture into the flour mixture. I did that and it was so hard to blend it. It should say add the dry ingredients slowly to the butter mixture. That way it actually blends well.

When I was folding in the strawberries, there were sections that were still dry. So I ended up stirring it a lot to get it 100% blended. I doubled the recipe too. That may be part of the problem. It was over mixed. I think that’s why it sank.

When I first cut it I thought the bottom was raw but it’s not. The strawberries went to the bottom. I used my mini chopper and I think it made them too fine.

My oldest daughter made this with GF flour and loves it. She may use coconut milk too. She’s out in the Gulf of Mexico so I can’t ask her if her loaves sank.

I was worried the pans would overflow as it rose. So I used a smaller loaf pan for the extra batter.

Are the strawberries from your garden?

I'm not sure if it would work with strawberries as I've never tried, but when I add dried fruit, nuts, chocolate chips, etc. to cake/cookie batters, I toss them lightly in flour first. This keeps the ingredients from sinking to the bottom or sticking together in a clump. I noticed the suggestion in several recipes that I use frequently and started doing this all the time even when it's not specifically mentioned.

Last edited:

If it passes the taste test, that's all that matters but they look amazing IMO :D

I bet this would be even better with strawberry cream cheese, maybe some powdered sugar on top. I am also certain that the size and shape of the fruit has a lot to do with the sinking. Maybe using different size pieces of fruit would make a difference? Some smaller, some more blended in etc?

If it passes the taste test, that's all that matters but they look amazing IMO :D

I bet this would be even better with strawberry cream cheese, maybe some powdered sugar on top. I am also certain that the size and shape of the fruit has a lot to do with the sinking. Maybe using different size pieces of fruit would make a difference? Some smaller, some more blended in etc?
All I had on hand was a bag of frozen whole strawberries. So fresh riper strawberries would probably be sweeter. I had some bigger pieces but not enough.

I could also mix in most of them and then poke some chunks into the top of the batter too.

My garden has tiny strawberries and I use them in my oatmeal.

Are the strawberries from your garden?

I'm not sure if it would work with strawberries as I've never tried, but when I add dried fruit, nuts, chocolate chips, etc. to cake/cookie batters, I toss them lightly in flour first. This keeps the ingredients from sinking to the bottom or sticking together in a clump. I noticed the suggestion in several recipes that I use frequently and started doing this all the time even when it's not specifically mentioned.

I do this with blueberries in my pound cake recipe. I think the strawberries are too wet and the flour would stick a bit too much. I could poke strawberry chunks in the top instead of mixing them all into the batter.

Cheez-It Diner

How about a Cheez-It milkshake, "a creamy vanilla shake blended with Cheez-It crackers, a caramel and crushed Cheez-It cracker rim and topped with whipped cream, sprinkles and chocolate sauce, garnished with a chocolate-dipped Cheez-It cracker," the company said.

A pimento Cheez-It smashburger topped with lettuce, pickles, and extra large Cheez-It cracker;

A grilled cheese with Texas toast, pimento cheese, and a Cheez It cracker crust; Chicken tenders breaded in Cheez-Its, and mac and cheese with Cheez-It cracker sauce and crumble on top.

There are also Cheez-It-inspired sides including fries and a biscuit, and you can finish off your meal with cheesecake with Cheez-It cracker pie crust topped with caramel and Cheez-It crackers.

I do this with blueberries in my pound cake recipe. I think the strawberries are too wet and the flour would stick a bit too much. I could poke strawberry chunks in the top instead of mixing them all into the batter.
I do this with banana bread sometimes! Save some slices to put on the top. Or I'll add some little minced bits of apple with some brown sugar or something like that. Maybe if you blend the frozen berries into the cream cheese? Idk but it seems like a very forgiving recipe.

Cheez-It Diner

How about a Cheez-It milkshake, "a creamy vanilla shake blended with Cheez-It crackers, a caramel and crushed Cheez-It cracker rim and topped with whipped cream, sprinkles and chocolate sauce, garnished with a chocolate-dipped Cheez-It cracker," the company said.

A pimento Cheez-It smashburger topped with lettuce, pickles, and extra large Cheez-It cracker;

A grilled cheese with Texas toast, pimento cheese, and a Cheez It cracker crust; Chicken tenders breaded in Cheez-Its, and mac and cheese with Cheez-It cracker sauce and crumble on top.

There are also Cheez-It-inspired sides including fries and a biscuit, and you can finish off your meal with cheesecake with Cheez-It cracker pie crust topped with caramel and Cheez-It crackers.

I'll pass on the milkshake and cheesecake but TBH a Cheez-It crusted chicken breast with mac and cheese sounds really good :p

Cheez-It Diner

This makes sense to me. Apple pie a la mode with cheddar. A cheese course in French cooking. It sorta makes sense.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kolse
Back