For love or money?

After reading the above post, it is clear that if there was a policy the insurance company would investigate and would not pay out until LE cleared Raven. LE has not come out and cleared him as of yet. I know from personal experience insurance companies don't like to pay even the littlest claims on houses, cars whatever. They wouldn't just cut a check and let him on his way. Now,:waitasec: to find out if he had a policy!!

IF Raven had a policy on Janet, she might not necessarily have known that Raven took one out on her.

http://law.freeadvice.com/insurance_law/insurable_interests.htm

A basic requirement for all types of insurance is the person who buys a policy must have an insurable interest in the subject of the insurance. You have an insurable interest in any property you own or which is in your possession.

For purposes of life insurance, everyone is considered to have an insurable interest in their own lives as well as the lives of their spouses and dependents. For property and casualty insurance, the insurable interest must exist both at the time the insurance is purchased and at the time a loss occurs. For life insurance, the insurable interest only needs to exist at the time the policy is purchased.

I remember clearly from the local Michael Peterson case that the issue of life insurance was raised - there was a large, over $1M policy on Kathleen at the time of her murder. She had changed the beneficiary of the policy from her first husband to Michael, but, had never signed the change form. This caused problems in and of itself, but, the insurance company would NOT pay out any monies on the claim, until there was an arrest, and, subesquent conviction in the case. Only then did the company pay the death benefit.

So even if Raven applied for death benefits, IF there was a life policy on Janet, my guess is there is no way the company will pay, until there is no suspicion of Raven whatsoever by LE.

Another interesting thing to consider - if there was a policy on Janet, was there also one on Raven as well? Boy, I would sure hope so, for his sake I guess - because if not, then that doesn't look too good either I wouldn't think!

SouthEastSleuth said:
Another interesting thing to consider - if there was a policy on Janet, was there also one on Raven as well? Boy, I would sure hope so, for his sake I guess - because if not, then that doesn't look too good either I wouldn't think!

Either being the operative word considering the long list of things that aren't looking so good for him currently.

It never really occured to me that he wouldn't insure himself. I mean he was the primary bread winner in the family. I would think that Janet being pregnant might trigger them to purchase some extra insurance, but they didn't really reconcile until she was six months along ... hmmmm ... more to ponder.

golfmom said:
Either being the operative word considering the long list of things that aren't looking so good for him currently.

It never really occured to me that he wouldn't insure himself. I mean he was the primary bread winner in the family. I would think that Janet being pregnant might trigger them to purchase some extra insurance, but they didn't really reconcile until she was six months along ... hmmmm ... more to ponder.
Is there a way to find out if there was an insurance policy on Janet, how much, and if Raven has tried to collect?

How long was Janet employed at her last job? It is pretty standard that employers provide life insurance for their employees . . . if not immediately, then after 30 days of employment. It is also common for employees to purchase additional life insurance through their employers.

I think she had been hired to fill a temporary position first and then was hired on full-time later. So she wasn't really there long enough for this to be feasible. Good thought though.

Moxie said:
I think she had been hired to fill a temporary position first and then was hired on full-time later. So she wasn't really there long enough for this to be feasible. Good thought though.

Lots of companies have a pre-set amount of time (30-60 or 90 days) before they start benefits too. They want to make sure that someone is going to pass the probation period before they start paying out on insurance.

This insurance question is really weighing heavy on me.

So, here's my question:

Let's say a friend/family member/aquaintance who's wife was brutally murdered solicited you to send money.

Would it bother you finding out at a later date that there was a SUBSTANTIAL life insurance policy in place?

A few more things have been bothering me too. If a cousin from AZ really did set up the memorial fund in UT, what business is it of theirs? I know that cousins are can be pretty close, but this is definately not in their job description (nor is it in the job description of a mother-in-law, as I've said before too). And then to enlist children's help to solicit funds for a cause with no purpose? At best it's odd and but more so it's morally defunct. Collecting money for a memorial fund and using poor Kaiden as a pawn to elicit more emotion so more money can be brought in? HELLO!?! I've said it a million times, and I will say it again--RAVEN SHOULD BE ABLE TO PROVIDE FOR HIMSELF AND HIS SON!!! And then for someone to write an article about this whole thing is odd to me too. I know that the family members probably had the best of intentions, but keep it in the family--don't get people a few thousand miles away from the murder financially involved.

NCBanker said:
I really didn't know what to entitle this thread. I tried to come up with something clever. Plus, I really don't think his family is doing this for Raven. I honestly and sincerely think their concern is for Kaiden; hence, the neutral title.
Could you even type that with a straight face?

IF Raven's family was sincerly and honestly concerned for Kaiden, then the cousin would have set up a fund for Kaiden in Arizona that Raven couldn't touch. Why not set up a fund in trust for Kaiden? A fund that nobody can touch except Kaiden when he's 18? Why not set up a fund under the minor's act that can only be used for Kaiden's education, etc. This fund was set up to benefit nobody but Raven!

They know Raven is a liar, steals and hasn't been cleared by LE in the murder. They failed to inform potential donars of these facts. If the family, knowing these facts, still want to support Raven, then fine. But for them to solicit funds from strangers and friends all over the country to donate to a fund supposedly for Kaiden, without telling them the whole story, is ludicrous, naive and imo, dishonest!

Jenifred said:
A few more things have been bothering me too. If a cousin from AZ really did set up the memorial fund in UT, what business is it of theirs? I know that cousins are can be pretty close, but this is definately not in their job description (nor is it in the job description of a mother-in-law, as I've said before too). And then to enlist children's help to solicit funds for a cause with no purpose? At best it's odd and but more so it's morally defunct. Collecting money for a memorial fund and using poor Kaiden as a pawn to elicit more emotion so more money can be brought in? HELLO!?! I've said it a million times, and I will say it again--RAVEN SHOULD BE ABLE TO PROVIDE FOR HIMSELF AND HIS SON!!! And then for someone to write an article about this whole thing is odd to me too. I know that the family members probably had the best of intentions, but keep it in the family--don't get people a few thousand miles away from the murder financially involved.
You are so right Jenifred! I personally know of story after story of one spouse dying unexpectedly and NONE of the family begged for money. The other spouse (with help from family) bucked up and did what she/he had to do. I don't think it even occured to them to ask strangers for money. Maybe it's a mormon thing?

ewwwinteresting said:
You are so right Jenifred! I personally know of story after story of one spouse dying unexpectedly and NONE of the family begged for money. The other spouse (with help from family) bucked up and did what she/he had to do. I don't think it even occured to them to ask strangers for money. Maybe it's a mormon thing?
I don't think it is. I know this one mormon family and the Dad died, leaving Mom with four small children. Mom didn't work so they lost the bread winner of the family. It was so sad. The Mom went to work, school and has supported herself and the kids with NO TRUST FUND for more than 5 years now. Life happens and even though it is not what you expected or wanted, you just do what you need to do. Imo, you can accept help, but not beg for money from strangers, particularly when you have been charged with embezzlement.

ewwwinteresting said:
Could you even type that with a straight face?

IF Raven's family was sincerly and honestly concerned for Kaiden, then the cousin would have set up a fund for Kaiden in Arizona that Raven couldn't touch. Why not set up a fund in trust for Kaiden? A fund that nobody can touch except Kaiden when he's 18? Why not set up a fund under the minor's act that can only be used for Kaiden's education, etc. This fund was set up to benefit nobody but Raven!

They know Raven is a liar, steals and hasn't been cleared by LE in the murder. They failed to inform potential donars of these facts. If the family, knowing these facts, still want to support Raven, then fine. But for them to solicit funds from strangers and friends all over the country to donate to a fund supposedly for Kaiden, without telling them the whole story, is ludicrous, naive and imo, dishonest!
I just noticed that this was a magazine for mormon people in San Diego. Didn't Raven move from San Diego when he was 14 (more than 11 years ago)? So, his grandmother is writing an article in San Diego to donate to a fund in Utah and about how cousins begged for money in Arizona for a woman that was murdered in North Carolina? Does this make sense to anybody else? It feels like people here are being opportunist.

ewwwinteresting said:
It's not a Mormon thing. Personally I think Raven and maybe other members of his family have no problem asking for and accepting money from other people, even strangers. It's not something I could ever do, but I know plenty of people who are takers and it wouldn't bother them a bit.

I'm not convinced that the cousins set up the trust fund. If it was them though, I think they just got caught up in trying to help any way they could. Then again maybe other members of his family are like Raven and are more concerned with looking good than in actually being good.

snapple said:
I just noticed that this was a magazine for mormon people in San Diego. Didn't Raven move from San Diego when he was 14 (more than 11 years ago)? So, his grandmother is writing an article in San Diego to donate to a fund in Utah and about how cousins begged for money in Arizona for a woman that was murdered in North Carolina? Does this make sense to anybody else? It feels like people here are being opportunist.

Snapple this is a very good catch! Who wrote this article to be published in San Diego about a family in Mesa AZ who is raising money for a family member in NC. Another one of those things that make you go ... hmmmmm

:eek: :eek: :eek:

golfmom said:
This insurance question is really weighing heavy on me.

So, here's my question:

Let's say a friend/family member/aquaintance who's wife was brutally murdered solicited you to send money.

Would it bother you finding out at a later date that there was a SUBSTANTIAL life insurance policy in place?
It would bother me and I would feel as though they had taken advantage of other peoples generosity.

And asking for money at the funeral is so inappropriate anyway!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back