GA - 8 dead after shootings at three spas, Atlanta, 16 Mar 2021 *arrest*

It didn't take the local news long to backtrack on their story. I'm sorry but assigning bias to a shooter before any facts are known is poor reporting. They didn't just say it was possible, but found people and groups to interview and speculate on anti-Asian motives.
Sheriff: No indication of racial motivation in deadly metro Atlanta spa shootings
Where I live, there has been an uptick in violence against Asians - random attacks based solely on how a person looks. It is a tense situation. Anti-Asian motives exist.

Then again, anti-women motivations exist as well. It's possible the perp targeted women regardless of ethnicity.

We don't know yet. But speculation on a message board about crime is to be expected. At this point, it's all on the table until we know more.

jmo

I have heard Korean as well but her eis the latest I've found.
Cherokee county:
Two Asian-American women
One white man
One white woman.
Atlanta:
Four Asian-American women
"Among the victims killed in Atlanta were four women of Korean ethnicity, South Korea’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Wednesday. South Korea’s Consulate General in Atlanta dispatched a consul to the site, according to a Ministry statement."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/03/16/atlanta-spa-shootings/

"Among the victims killed in Atlanta were four women of Korean ethnicity, South Korea’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Wednesday. South Korea’s Consulate General in Atlanta dispatched a consul to the site, according to a Ministry statement."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/03/16/atlanta-spa-shootings/
"The U.S. secretary of state, Antony J. Blinken, reacted to the shootings during a visit to Seoul on Wednesday to speak with South Korea’s foreign minister, Chung Eui-yong.

'I want to mention the attacks that happened just a few hours ago in Atlanta, in which several women were killed, including, we believe, four women of Korean descent,' Mr. Blinken said. 'We are horrified by this violence, which has no place in America or anywhere.'”

Live Updates: 8 Dead in Atlanta Spa Shootings, With Fears of Anti-Asian Bias

"Cherokee County Sheriff Frank Reynolds said Wednesday the suspect in a shooting spree that killed eight people bought the gun he used hours earlier.

Investigators also believe 21-year-old Robert Aaron Long, accused in the shootings in Cherokee and Atlanta, may have a sexual addiction and frequented the types of businesses he allegedly targeted."

EXCLUSIVE: Spa shooting suspect bought gun hours before deadly spree

Starting to sound like he didn't like his own desires to frequent the massage parlors so he killed the women in punishment (plus others who happened to be in the way).

Speculation only, opinion subject to change as we learn more

jmo

From the presser:
Suspect took responsibility for the shooting. He says sees the locations as places of temptation that he wanted to eliminate. He understood the gravity of the crime. Yesterday was a really bad day for him and wanted to do something about it.

He does not live with parents. Family is fully cooperative.

I'm paraphrasing as I listen to presser at the link, not necessary direct quotes. All info is from the presser linked above.

Last edited:
Of consideration:

These spas are often associated with human trafficking, sexual extortion and prostitution.

There is a fair chance the motives in this heinous crime are viewed by the offender(s) as morally sound or even financially motivated. In my opinion, it should not be assumed that the motives are based purely on racism until the investigations near conclusion. I think there may be much more to uncover here.

Just on the limited facts we currently are working with, I am going to speculate that this perp has an immense amount of shame around his own, er, needs and that this shooting will come down to misplaced rage/violence against women wrapped around his own self loathing for being "weak" and his need to find somewhere to put all that loathing. I don't know that anything feels racially motivated to me as yet. I think maybe it will turn out to be all about his own issues and the women he opted to place blame for those issues on. Gonna go further out and say the males were collateral damage. Again, this is just my current speculation and is subject to change as more facts become available.

Info from this presser: Perp told interrogators he has a sex addiction issues. FWIW.

What a horrible excuse - he thought the best way to deal with his sex addiction to massage parlors was to kill a lot of people at massage parlors. Because his sex addiction isn't his fault? Sorry, I'm not buying that.

This isn't much different from a serial or spree killer who acts out of twisted sexual desires. Always blame victims. I'm guessing he's another incel who kills women because he resents the sexual power they have over him. That's his problem, not theirs. He's frustrated because average women don't want to have a relationship with him, likely because he's an unpleasant, bullying person.

I'm also not going to take his word for anything, even his claims this was not racially motivated. I never place any value or legitimacy in the word of a person who just killed 8 innocent people. Why would anyone trust him? JMO

JMO

Last edited:
Just on the limited facts we currently are working with, I am going to speculate that this perp has an immense amount of shame around his own, er, needs and that this shooting will come down to misplaced rage/violence against women wrapped around his own self loathing for being "weak" and his need to find somewhere to put all that loathing. I don't know that anything feels racially motivated to me as yet. I think maybe it will turn out to be all about his own issues and the women he opted to place blame for those issues on. Gonna go further out and say the males were collateral damage. Again, this is just my current speculation and is subject to change as more facts become available.
I agree 100%, with the info we have now.

And, at the same time, my heart goes out to the Asian/Asian-American community who are justifiably jumpy about the case as they have suffered an increase in bigoted attacks. I can follow the facts of the case while at the same time understanding the racial concerns.

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal
Back