GA GA - Blue Ridge, WhtMale 992UMGA, 45-49, trucker, 'Freddie Akers', Mar'95

I spoke to GBI this morning and here is what happened

A man who is in jail on unrelated charges, has said he killed this uid (992umga).

He led police to the body or skeleton (partial) skull and mandible were found, then later 22 other bones were found. Animal activity present.

I don't know how the info in the file came to be except from misunderstanding.

The man who has claimed killing the uid told police that he was traveling with this guy and they use to always get in fights, so something must have erupted to lead to the guy's death.

The suspected killer is the one that told police all the info about the rig, motorcycle gang and the cb name. So it is unclear if this is true. He also gave the name Freddie Akers for the deceased.

The suspected killer says the uid is from Arkansas.

Dates don't match up if the UID was found in 95, but:

Missing Persons
acic_kirk.jpg
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
forums
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Name Doug Kirk[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DOB 1960-06-11[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Race [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]W[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Height 6' 1"[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Weight 135 lbs.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Eyes BLU[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hair BRO[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Circumstances Last seen by family on 08-03-95. Seen with friends in Little Rock and North Little Rock on 08-04/05-95. Borrowed Nissan truck found at Flying J Truck Center in Lebec, California. Circumstances of disappearance indicate concern for missing person's safety. NIC# M900909153.Date Missing1995-08-03City of ReportSearcy (White County Sheriff's Dept.)State of ReportArkansasCase Number9508193[/FONT]

Dates don't match up if the UID was found in 95, but:

Missing Persons
acic_kirk.jpg
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
forums
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Name Doug Kirk[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DOB 1960-06-11[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Race [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]W[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Height 6' 1"[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Weight 135 lbs.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Eyes BLU[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hair BRO[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Circumstances Last seen by family on 08-03-95. Seen with friends in Little Rock and North Little Rock on 08-04/05-95. Borrowed Nissan truck found at Flying J Truck Center in Lebec, California. Circumstances of disappearance indicate concern for missing person's safety. NIC# M900909153.Date Missing1995-08-03City of ReportSearcy (White County Sheriff's Dept.)State of ReportArkansasCase Number9508193[/FONT]

Hey pretty good match, the only thing is that our UID has no teeth. This man has teeth. Definetly not dentures either

I am a little confused. the guy in prison out of the blue fessed up to killing a man LE did not even know was dead and takes them to the body. so at that point, what motivation would the guy have for making up all the rest of the info? of course that does not mean that the deceased gave out accurate information.

I wonder what happened to the truck? did the killer sell it off? how could title have been transferred without someone knowing the real name of the owner?

As for the name of the deceased, I would think that there had to be records in some state of a man named Akers who owned a big rig. I've seen these trucks and do they not all have decals issued by the states they do business in that are used for taxing purposes? the states would know who the truck owner was in order to collect the taxes. he could of course have been registered under a corporate name but there would still be a record in these states if they had at least a name or license plate.

There is so much information about this guy, I can't believe there has never been any solid leads!

we are missing a couple of key tidbits of information. I looked for this UID in Namus using both the 95 and 97 dates and nothing, so he is not entered there.

I don't see a date of death anywhere. you'd think the guy who confessed to killing the UID would have said in Month, 19xx, I killed him and put his body there. If we knew the killer's name he is probably in the GA inmate locator and at least there we might find an approximate date of death.

As for Freddie Akers, his first name could have been Freddie, Frederick, Fredrick, or Fred. As for the last name, this website shows a list of spelling variations, including but not limited to Aikers, Aiker, Acker, etc:

http://www.houseofnames.com/akers-family-crest

so it is possible he was Freddie Akers but unless someone has a correct spelling, it would be a total crap shoot to guess which one was him.

It is possible still that the killer sold off the truck with the UID's identity papers so the UID's real name might be in use by someone else.

Finally, the guy might have been on the road all the time and not had close family so it might not be such a stretch that no one would report him missing. his mail would have to be delivered somewhere as things like tax returns must be filed.

I think it is a bit odd that we have never seen the name of the guy that led authorities to Freddie Akers body. You would have thought that would have been written up in the newspaper and even released with the UID information.

Blue Ridge, GA, where the UID was found is located in Fannin County. I went to the GA Dept of Corrections website to see if there was anyone doing time for murder from that county.

presumably since the case # is 1995, that is when the body was found and the defendant's conviction would have to be after 1995. I could not find a match for murder, but that is not the only charge he might have pled to.

Been thinking about this one, and I started to wonder -- maybe when the guy moved to Arkansas, he took on the identity "Freddie Akers," which is not his birth name. So he would have disappeared from somewhere else several years previously, and all the information here would apply only to the new persona. Except possibly the nickname.

I wonder what makes them think he might have been part of a motorcycle gang? Other than that he looks the type...

I had thought there might be some connection to missing Tammi Akers -- one of the persons of potential interest was named Fred -- but that guy has been in prison in North Carolina since 1989. Whatever else he is, he didn't go into hiding under an assumed name and wind up dead in Tennessee.

I wonder what makes them think he might have been part of a motorcycle gang? Other than that he looks the type...

I can only surmise all that information came from the guy who confessed to the murder.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/992umga.html

They seem to have settled on the 1995 date and there's only one file now.

Except the GBI website still has 1997 :p http://gbi.georgia.gov/case/unidentified-remains-318

Debbie Miller's phone call to GBI upthread mentions the skull and mandible being found, and then later some more bones, so I suspect that the earlier date is the correct one and the later date is when the second batch of bones was found.

He's still not in Namus.

Porchlight has a couple of things: http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/index.php?showtopic=52659&st=0&#last

CanYouIdentifyMe has a post for him: http://canyouidentifyme.blogspot.com/2010/08/freddie-aikers-doe-okay.html

I've asked the Missing Trucker Drivers Alert Network on Facebook if they'd post him on there. I figured there wouldn't be any harm in asking if they'd do it since it could be possible he knew people in the trucking community.

Interesting case .. one would think that if the UID was employed as a truck driver for a company, and then was killed, that company would report him and the truck missing? or if they tracked down the truck, at least reported him missing?

It said that he owned his own rig, so it could be possible it was illegally sold and thats why he hadn't been IDed. As for the Company it could be possible that they could had reported him for missing product.

Gary Akers went missing in 1988 from Missouri. His height, age, hair color and build fits. He was into drugs (meth and marijuana) and was being threatened prior to disappearance. Threats continued with his wife after his disappearance so there is a possibility the threats caused him to hide out. Looks like he was also growing his hair out in 88

Height: 5'7
Weight: 160
Hair color: Brown

akers_gary2.jpg
akers_gary.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/a/akers_gary.html

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/17513/0/

Classito

The information in the John Warren Deetz missing person case may be related to this case. There is was a truck driver by the name of [FONT=Open Sans, sans-serif]Ralph Howard Benson (convicted of murder) who was operating a chop shop for stolen rigs. Deetz and his rig went missing in 1988. His truck and several other stolen rigs were found in Benson's possession in 1991 and it is believed Benson may have committed several murders throughout the US.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/d/deetz_john.html

Classito

[/FONT][FONT=Open Sans, sans-serif]"[/FONT]"We have no specific information of other cases," Wade said, but Benson's wide travels and solitary lifestyle have them concerned. So does circumstantial evidence from an old case that overwhelmingly points to Benson.
State Patrol detectives are using Benson's log books to develop a timeline, going back 30 years, of his travels throughout the United States. The timeline will be made available to any interested police agency, Wade said.

[FONT=Open Sans, sans-serif]http://tdn.com/business/local/polic...cle_ebd6fd90-b5f0-544e-b41e-788bdbea505f.html

[/FONT][FONT=Open Sans, sans-serif]
[/FONT]

I think this is the NamUs page for this UID. The date of recovery is listed as December 31, 1995, but the ME/C Case Number is the same as the one listed on his Doe Network page.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Sex Male
Race/Ethnicity Uncertain
Estimated Age Group Adult - Pre 70
Estimated Age Range 49-65
Estimated Year of Death 1950-1995
Height Cannot Estimate
Weight Cannot Estimate

Circumstances of Recovery
Skeletal Remains found in woods off Ridgewood Dr. Near Blue Ridge, GA

Members online

Online statistics

Members online