GUILTY GA - Eight family members brutally murdered in Brunswick home, 29 Aug 2009

No I honestly can't defend my remarks. I was being hasty assuming if he were the lead attorney on the case he was the best they had. Good point.

I should know better by now than to sneak in an unsubstantiated assumption on this site. That's why I like it here so much. :innocent:

Your information about his coming from Illinois where there is no death penalty was interesting. The Internet usually works well for me for this kind of search. I was really frustrated that there was nothing out there that I could find except the one possible suspension.

Frankly I wasn't paying enough attention to my email as I was on a tear when I found out that Newell Hamilton (more precisely someone named Newell Hamilton) Maybe his father ?
had his license to practice suspended a few years ago (for thirty days)

http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/31520-ga-newell-hamilton-472349.html

Maybe a similar name but is kind of an unusual name.

I first went to the Georgia Bar Association website out of curiosity to see how long they had been in practice, doing what and for whom, just basic information. I couldn't get through on their member search. I wrote the Director of the website and asked if there was a problem. I got a nice note back that as far as she could see the site was running fine. It may be my computer ?

I thought it would be interesting to have a paragraph on each of the lawyers.
I don't know what responsibilities in this case each attorney has. I would like to though.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Greg

That was my first reaction. The date set to try and reunify with the lead attorney on the case is Valentines day.

I hope he stays on.

Defense Team To Stay Intact Judge Rules.

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/...s-lawyer-continue-leading-heinze-defense-team

I had thought I had read that Diane Isenhour believed Guy to be innocent. Has she changed her mind or maybe I got it wrong to to begin with?

I thought she did too. I dunno. She is the only one who ever speaks to the media.

It could get complicated if you consider the child custody aspect that could or may be going on. I am not sure if that would impact her public statements or not but I have to consider that when she makes her statements she may have something to lose by supporting him. Not that it makes it less important what she believes but just that it might not be what it seems on the surface.

I should go back and look for her statements.

Hey sigsky thanks for posting....can you please summarize the article....when I click on the link I get "access denied, you are not authorized to access this page".

Interesting article. He will be charges as an adult ,but isnt protected under some rights because of his minor status at the school. Not because of his case but thats is how it is at school. The minor has no legal right to deny a search of their property as when he was LE giving consent he was not being offered an option of consent as he never had the option. IMO.

Tyler Heinze, 17, of Brunswick is charged with two counts of felony possession of a weapon on school property.

Read more at Jacksonville.com: http://jaquars.jacksonville.com/new...s-brother-faces-weapons-charges#ixzz1HmOIAISC[/quote]

Heinze brought a can of "maximum strength pepper spray" and two folding knives onto campus about 1:35 p.m. Wednesday, Glynn County schools police Officer Barry Moore said in an incident report released Friday.

In his report, Moore said he and another officer confiscated the pepper spray, a silver folding knife and a Swiss Army-style pocketknife from Heinze after intercepting him when he came onto campus.

Heinze, who turns 18 on Tuesday, is considered an adult under Georgia law. If convicted, he faces two to 10 years in prison and up to a $10,000 fine on each count.

In his report, Moore said the officers were patrolling the campus when they saw a youth without a student identification badge and carrying a book bag walk onto the school property.
OH my a book bag! At the school. ??

The youth came from a "shrubbed area next to 1321 Egmont St. When he saw the officers, he started walking faster "onto the sidewalk in front of the G.A. Building," Moore said

Dont kids have to hurry to class because of bells and tardys?

As they got closer, the other officer recognized him as Heinze and called out to him.

So maybe they wouldnt have need to see his School badge? They knew who he was.

Moore said he asked to look into the book bag because "students will leave campus during school hours and bring contraband back onto campus." Moore said he asked if there was anything in there that shouldn't be on campus and "Tyler said there is a knife and pepper spray in there."

That isnt probable cause to search someone but see a minor on school property who can be tried as an adult has no rights to protect them agaisnt this as the school codes remove those rights from students.

When Moore asked if he had anything else, Heinze said he had a knife in his pocket, and then turned over a multi-blade Swiss Army-style knife.

Wow pepper spray and a swiss army knife And seriously His whole family has been beat to death "alledgedly" by his brother who he thinks is innocent. I wonder if he feels safe? Felon for life because of these charges if convicted.
:waitasec:

I was thinking ok he did something really messed up and while what he did was illegal because of him being on school property it is not illegal anywhere else. WTH??

I don’t want to sound like an apologist for all Heinze brothers but for Christ sake it sounds like they are persecuting this kid. Did you read the whole article?

First that is an obvious illegal search and seizure – No probable cause except as the police say they “recognized him” OK – so what are they saying? He is a criminal because he is the victim of having his family murdered by persons unknown?(NOBODY has been convicted of anything and Thank God in this great country of ours one is presumed innocent unless proven guilty. Please don't go there)

Pepper Spray (which I have almost ordered myself over the Internet a couple of times) the stuff needs a permit in Massachusetts.
Anyway – Pepper Spray or Mace is a Defensive non-lethal “weapon. It sounds like a scared kid who draws too much attention in a small town. People don’t but pepper spray to attack anyone. Obvious to Anyone – People buy pepper spray to defend themselves. I have a Swiss Army Knife in the pencil holder in front of me. Had it for years. I use it as a letter opener. It is not illegal to carry it. I think the law here is over 3 or 4 inches is illegal. Arrested and jailed for it!! I can’t swear in this blog but Bull****!!!

Again if I were found with those items even if the policeman decided to pursue it I wouldn’t be held overnight in jail. This is just WRONG !

I cant get over the post in the link where they speak of his family history as if Guy Jr has been convicted already.

Tyler would do well to get the heck out of geogia IMO and the article does read like he was picked off the sidewalk because of who he is. I am not saying what he did was right but I do think a lifetime of him not being able to vote or find decent jobs is an overreaction. I also think it is wrong the school can remove constitutrights of it students and then convict them as adults.

Last time he was involved with the law wasnt also something very trivel? I think they may be trying to make him an unreliable witness and intimidating him. I have no proof but I suspect it.

I don't think Guy's little brother's school rule breaking was a national story. True, my own home town paper was similar and printed the school lunch menus among other things. No photos of anyone under 18 as that is the state's "age of Majority". Not for nothing but I didn't read this in The Brunswick News I read it in The Florida Times Union which also owns it's online version which is Jacksonville.com

"The Florida Times-Union is a leading provider of news and information for readers and advertisers in north Florida and south Georgia. The broadsheet is widely known as the oldest newspaper in the state. It began publishing as the Florida Times in 1864. With daily circulation of 108,926, Florida Times-Union is one of the largest circulation newspapers in the USA. Learn more at Mondo Newspapers, the worldwide newspaper directory.
With daily circulation of 108,926, Florida Times-Union is one of the largest circulation newspapers in the USA. Learn more at Mondo Newspapers, the worldwide newspaper" "directory.

I have just discovered this thread, and have been reading the posts, not going to any of the links as yet.

The first thing that puzzles me is that the 3 year old survived while all the others died. Does this show compassion for a child, or was the perp just worn out?

Also, if they were awake at the time, with only one perp, they would have run on him, because the obvious alternative would be death. The fight or flight instinct would kick in, imo.

Unless someone had a vendetta against this family, the only other motive to my mind is crazy drugged up people. Honestly, it reminds me of the Sharon Tate murder. In that case, there were many murderers.

Does anyone know if anything was missing from the home?
How long did all those people live in that same small home, if they did all live there.
Was any of them just visiting?

As always, the biggest question is "why"
If one can find the why, they can usually find the who.

So much for a speedy trial though, eh?
He waived his right to a speedy trial? Was that sound counsel?

It's an interesting case.
One more thing, why is the child in "foster care" and not with the maternal grandmother? Anyone know?

all moo.

Sorry for the late post Yosande. I haven't been on this thread in awhile but welcome.

First it is very hard to know why Byron survived while the others did not. We had another case that happened around the same time as this one. It is the Gee Family Mass murder case out of Beason IL. In that one 5 family members were also bludgeoned but a three year old little girl.....although gravely wounded like Byron.....also survived.

There have been media links where the family members have spoken out and they said they were told by police that the victims were asleep when attacked. Since bludgeoning someone to death makes no significant noise except a dull thud I do believe the family members are correct. One blow to the head can render someone unconscious and helpless.

I think we all would like to believe that if awake we would fight rather than retreat if we were awake but really rushing in on someone who has the only weapon and a lethal one at that is not likely to happen. I don't think they were awake but if any of them were I think they would be backing up away from the mighty blows that were being swung.......knowing that one blow to their heads could kill them.

I really do hope this is the case and all of these people never knew what was happening.

The police has never said this was a robbery. The only thing we know that was taken from the crime scene was the shotgun the defendant took out of the home before calling 911. A broken piece of a shotgun stock was found in the driveway.

I believe Byron may be with a special foster care family who knows how to take care of children that have special needs. While he did recover ..he did not recover 100%, imo. Head traumas are so horrific that usually some damage never subsides but can be managed with proper care by the proper caregivers.

I do believe drugs will be a part of this case when it comes to the defendant.

The motive? Who really knows what was in the murderer's mind.

I suspect it may have something to do with his father winning a settlement on a lawsuit and the drug usage/selling of the defendant will be front and center also, imo.

IMOO

I don't think Guy's little brother's school rule breaking was a national story. True, my own home town paper was similar and printed the school lunch menus among other things. No photos of anyone under 18 as that is the state's "age of Majority". Not for nothing but I didn't read this in The Brunswick News I read it in The Florida Times Union which also owns it's online version which is Jacksonville.com

"The Florida Times-Union is a leading provider of news and information for readers and advertisers in north Florida and south Georgia. The broadsheet is widely known as the oldest newspaper in the state. It began publishing as the Florida Times in 1864. With daily circulation of 108,926, Florida Times-Union is one of the largest circulation newspapers in the USA. Learn more at Mondo Newspapers, the worldwide newspaper directory.
With daily circulation of 108,926, Florida Times-Union is one of the largest circulation newspapers in the USA. Learn more at Mondo Newspapers, the worldwide newspaper" "directory.

It didn't make the national news. I never heard or saw a thing about it on the major news channels. Of course it would make the local area news outlets though that report news in certain areas of Georgia and Florida.

The reason Tyler's photo was shown is when it comes to criminal matters he is not considered a minor. At 17 they are tried as adults.

I read often about 17 year old committing crimes and their photos are shown in my area newspaper and on the on line news site. Their mug shot is shown.

Isn't his charges ........felony charges?

It is very alarming when any student is found to have weapons on a school campus. Weapons have no place in our school system and we have seen the devastation it has caused innocent students and ataff members.

IMO

Really there should be some type of movement on this case soon.

I share your frustration Soul

I wrote a rather pissy note (No - I was polite but as usual a little overly opinionated) to Jacksonville.com (Theresa ..somebody)) re: Featuring the little brother so prominently and using his photo in their not a little local paper was exploitative and very low life of them. I'm sure I said it more delicately. It's late and my mind is fuzzy.

Interesting response from the writer at Jacksonville.com (Teresa Stepzinski )who responded to my sentence about the trial probably being later this year with - she did not think the trial would be as early as this year. Hardly set in stone but her opinion or guess as the main crime writer for the region is much better than mine. Didn't the judge say she really wanted to bring this to trial as soon as possible?

I think we both should call the courts ourselfs. I dont know if we will get an answer but we can learn to trust or not on area crime writer.

Maybe OBE can link us up with the are jail inmate info.

If the evidence was overwhelming the state would be rolling out the court dates right?
Here in VA it is lighting quick so maybe my perception is off.

"If the evidence was overwhelming the state would be rolling out the court dates right?
Here in VA it is lighting quick so maybe my perception is off"

No, I don't think your perception is off. It sounds spot on to me Soulmagent.

Brilliant! I know the name of the jail for Brunswick the don't know "nuthin" and wont say if they knew.

The court my have something on the docket however:

Glynn County, Georgia Glynn County Historic Courthouse 701 G Street Brunswick, GA 31520. Phone: (912) 554-7111. Customer Service ...
www.glynncounty.org/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74
Back