GA GA - Jenna Van Gelderen, 25, Atlanta, 18 Aug 2017 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subie,
This is monumental for the Autism community to step in which should be BREAKING NEW INFORMATION FOR THE NEWS OUTLETS. She was only diagnosed nine months ago. Not only was it a new diagnosis, but the acceptance and realization of it as an adult could have left her with a whole new set of emotions/coping skills. I think this is a GOOD THING to get more coverage/help! Do you have anyone in the Autism community that you have been in contact with? I'm willing to help, but certainly don't want to step on toes if you already have someone advocating for you.
You do seem to have some experiece and may want to look at becoming a verified expert for WS. I don't know the process but perhaps Steleheart may be able to advise you.

Subie,
This is monumental for the Autism community to step in which should be BREAKING NEW INFORMATION FOR THE NEWS OUTLETS. She was only diagnosed nine months ago. Not only was it a new diagnosis, but the acceptance and realization of it as an adult could have left her with a whole new set of emotions/coping skills. I think this is a GOOD THING to get more coverage/help! Do you have anyone in the Autism community that you have been in contact with? I'm willing to help, but certainly don't want to step on toes if you already have someone advocating for you.

Good idea. You could even get on tumblr.com and post her missing poster with one of the hashtags being #autism. On tumblr you're able to type in a certain phrase (ex: I have chronic pain and I sometimes will type in that phrase to see other people's posts about chronic pain.) and posts will pop up that have that hashtag. I can see a lot of teens in the autism spectrum that are on tumblr seeing her post and sharing it, creating more public awareness!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been following this case on Nextdoor (I live in the neighborhood) and Facebook, but just found out about this site. It's impressive how many people have been working together here to put together all of the details!

<modsnip>

Good idea. You could even get on tumblr.com and post her missing poster with one of the hashtags being #autism. On tumblr you're able to type in a certain phrase (ex: I have chronic pain and I sometimes will type in that phrase to see other people's posts about chronic pain.) and posts will pop up that have that hashtag. I can see a lot of teens in the autism spectrum that are on tumblr seeing her post and sharing it, creating more public awareness!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I will wait to hear from Subie if the family wants assistance. Autism is a very sensitive issue for a family; although it could bring a lot of attention to the case, I would not want any negative attention to compromise the case. I see both pros and cons to reaching out to the Autism community, but I am not at liberty to justify it either way without the family's consent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mod Note:

We have several new members who have recently joined to discuss Jenna's disappearance.

First, welcome to Websleuths! We are so glad you're here. We look forward to your input and contributions.

If you haven't already done so, please take some time to review the threads in The Rules Forum, particularly Etiquette & Information.

A few important reminders for all:

Comments posted on social media by the general public are considered rumor and are not to be discussed. Websleuths does not permit discussion of rumors or gossip.

Friends and family members of a victim or missing person are OFF LIMITS to sleuthing. Please do not sleuth their social media accounts and post your findings here.

Please stay on topic. This thread is dedicated to Jenna.

Posts that are not in accordance of the rules are either edited or removed.

If you have a concern about a post, hit the alert button and let a moderator handle it. Please do not quote or reply to the post. If a moderator removes the post, replies are subject to removal as well.

If you have any questions or need assistance, please feel free to send a private message (PM) to any moderator.

:tyou:

From the beginning I have felt like Dekalb le knows something that they do not want to make public or they were not taking this case seriously.
Remember when Dekalb told the family Jenna had been arrested and was being held in another jurisdiction only to tell them the next day that info was a mistake? Well, imo that was quite strange and should be explained to the public.
There have been several things like that that have made me wonder what was going on with Dekalb. Granted, there probably is an explanation that I am not aware of.

Subie, can you give us more info on the western union transactions? Was she the sender or receiver? Same questions for PayPal. Thanks subie. Praying for your sis

From the beginning I have felt like Dekalb le knows something that they do not want to make public or they were not taking this case seriously.
Remember when Dekalb told the family Jenna had been arrested and was being held in another jurisdiction only to tell them the next day that info was a mistake? Well, imo that was quite strange and should be explained to the public.
There have been several things like that that have made me wonder what was going on with Dekalb. Granted, there probably is an explanation that I am not aware of.
Agreed, LE have not been very forthcoming with info. However, taken from post #1....

Yesterday, her family reported that she had been found and is safe. But the family received bad information from DeKalb County Police, according to her brother.

“It sounds like they thought they had her last night and this morning they told us they made a mistake,” her brother said. “So we’re meeting with the detectives right now to figure out what actually happened.”

A spokesperson for DeKalb Police said there was no miscommunication.

“We never said that we found her,” the spokesperson said. “We are actively investigating.”

The one and only comment i have seen from LE. Plus, it does say 'it sounds like they thought....' so for some reason the family assumed she had been found. Maybe Subie can elaborate on this and clarify what happened at the time?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Agreed, LE have not been very forthcoming with info. However, taken from post #1....

Yesterday, her family reported that she had been found and is safe. But the family received bad information from DeKalb County Police, according to her brother.

“It sounds like they thought they had her last night and this morning they told us they made a mistake,” her brother said. “So we’re meeting with the detectives right now to figure out what actually happened.”

A spokesperson for DeKalb Police said there was no miscommunication.

“We never said that we found her,” the spokesperson said. “We are actively investigating.”

The one and only comment i have seen from LE. Plus, it does say 'it sounds like they thought....' so for some reason the family assumed she had been found. Maybe Subie can elaborate on this and clarify what happened at the time?

The confusion in this case is unlike any I've ever participated in. What made the family say/believe LE found her? Why did LE deny saying they found her, if they even really said that? If Jenna's friends are available and speaking with the police, why is there no formal, not confusing timeline (no offense to the posters here who made that detailed timeline, it is just not clear to me because of all of the miscommunications). IMO answers to the below questions might make things a bit clearer

Who paid Jenna's rent? Mom had access to the bank account so she would know what money came in and out.

To piggy back. How was Jenna paying her bills? Mom can perhaps help with this question since she is also on the account per subies previous posts.

Who makes Jenna's car/insurance payments? Who's name is the car in?

Was Jenna sending or receiving money via western union? Generally, what were the amounts? I really think western union transactions need to be analyzed.

Has anyone checked backpage to see if Jenna has any ads? Perhaps a search of her metro pcs phone could assist in this search? I ask this because subie mentioned in the beginning she may have been involved in the sex trade. No judgement here at all. But it's an important detail.

Sorry but I'm so confused about the time leading up to Jenna's disappearance. Every time we get a new piece of info, it seems to contradict previous info.

I will wait to hear from Subie if the family wants assistance. Autism is a very sensitive issue for a family; although it could bring a lot of attention to the case, I would not want any negative attention to compromise the case. I see both pros and cons to reaching out to the Autism community, but I am not at liberty to justify it either way without the family's consent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I definitely agree 100%! :)

I agree.

This has been one of the most strangest cases that I have ever followed as to law enforcement and family involvement posting.

My apologies for referencing the father's NextDoor post. I am relatively new to this site and although I was ignorant of this rule I should have checked first before posting. Was trying to share helpful information and I regret if I muddied things or violated Mr. Van Gelderen's privacy.

I totally agree with all of what you said @bears10. I don't know what to say. I am baffled and confused and shocked and just.... upset by this case in its entirety. For many reasons. Like I've said before, it just doesn't sit right with me. The more we find out, the more red flags that occur, (most recent being western union usage) and the more bewildered I become.

One, being a local. Living in Druid hills.
Two, the lack of media coverage. Three, LE [apparantly, from what I've gathered on this thread] taking their time/dragging feet.Four, the inconsistencies and contradictions and privacy/lack thereof I've read about in these threads.

If trafficking is a theory here - LE/FBI could have an ongoing investigation, ppl undercover where any mention of it could be detrimental. If LE thinks jenna may be a victim of trafficking and is currently working on a huge trafficking case in atl, they may have to tread lightly. Shot in dark.

I just don't know. I hope jenna is safe.
The more time that goes by..... the fact it's almost been a month..... it's all so messed up. Nobody should have to go though this.

My apologies for referencing the father's NextDoor post. I am relatively new to this site and although I was ignorant of this rule I should have checked first before posting. Was trying to share helpful information and I regret if I muddied things or violated Mr. Van Gelderen's privacy.
O/T, but are you a Pavement fan, by any chance?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

The confusion in this case is unlike any I've ever participated in. What made the family say/believe LE found her? Why did LE deny saying they found her, if they even really said that? If Jenna's friends are available and speaking with the police, why is there no formal, not confusing timeline (no offense to the posters here who made that detailed timeline, it is just not clear to me because of all of the miscommunications). IMO answers to the below questions might make things a bit clearer

Who paid Jenna's rent? Mom had access to the bank account so she would know what money came in and out.

To piggy back. How was Jenna paying her bills? Mom can perhaps help with this question since she is also on the account per subies previous posts.

Who makes Jenna's car/insurance payments? Who's name is the car in?

Was Jenna sending or receiving money via western union? Generally, what were the amounts? I really think western union transactions need to be analyzed.

Has anyone checked backpage to see if Jenna has any ads? Perhaps a search of her metro pcs phone could assist in this search? I ask this because subie mentioned in the beginning she may have been involved in the sex trade. No judgement here at all. But it's an important detail.

Sorry but I'm so confused about the time leading up to Jenna's disappearance. Every time we get a new piece of info, it seems to contradict previous info.
<modsnip>

Subie has been through J's facebook, emails, phone records etc.. and the only references to sex work that we have been advised of are:

1) the pocket dial - where the number is tied to an instagram account with references to pimping - that proves nothing. And what references are there to pimping on that account? Could the references be taken out of context?

2) she doesnt have a job - so automatically people assume shes selling herself to pay her bills! My brother is 21 and lives at home still, he doesnt have a job but is looking. He has a car, goes out with his friends etc.. i dont assume he must be into illegal activities. He helps my mum occassionally at her gift shop and she may pay him.

im close to giving up on this. Like everyone else im fed up with the contradicting info. Im holding out and keeping on going for Jenna. It keeps me awake at night and im in the UK!

I am trusting LE are doing the right thing. It is frustrating for us sleuthers because we are nosey! We always want to know more. The best thing we can do is support LE and fire every concern/tip/thought over to them. We need to work with them on this.

Prayers for J

:welcome: We have all made posting errors and many of us (me) still do. It is a learning process.

With regard to the bank account IIRC Subie indicated a lack of deposits so I presumed the WU items were payments. As several posters have indicated innocent WU use I have taken them to be innocent but they could certainly provide a link to someone J knows.
On the report of J initially being found by another jurisdiction, I think that was possibly due to the car registration being incorrectly published. JMO.
Eta have checked on last thread and Subie said "no cash or check deposits for the last two months" which I took to mean mid June to mid August.

I referenced something from Nextdoor too, which is why part of my message was removed by the moderator. My apologies as well.

@Horseguy

I agree and have alerted a mod. You may want to alert LE unless you have done so already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500