GUILTY GA - Jorelys Rivera, 7, Canton, 2 Dec 2011 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.ajc.com/news/cherokee/sheriff-jorelys-case-required-1261344.html
Sheriff: Jorelys case required outside help

The case of missing Jorelys Rivera was not one local police should have handled alone, Cherokee County Sheriff Roger Garrison told the AJC on Thursday. Canton mayor Gene Hobgood said he wants an outside consultant to determine if the city's police department properly handled the case.

Hobgood told the AJC he has heard concerns from people about how the city's police department handled the investigation. He announced to the City Council at Thursday night's meeting that he wants to hire an outside consultant or another law enforcement agency to examine the police department's actions.
"If any mistakes were made, we certainly need to know how to improve for any future investigations," Hobgood said Thursday afternoon.

I think this is absolutely ridiculous. They were looking for the missing child of a woman whose child had gone missing twice before, if I am not mistaken. A child who was so unsupervised that the time between the last time someone saw her, and reporting her missing, was TWO hours. They weren't looking for a child who had been brutally raped and murdered - it's not common for them, and they did what protocol told them to do. I am so sick of LE being blamed on technicalities when, at the end of the day, this is the first case in eons that the body was recovered and an obvious perp sits in jail.

He failed to mention that. Yes, I applaud them. This political butt smoocher never once congratulated them for finding the body, which they may have found earlier had the trash company come on a Saturday to dump the compactor - blame them for not cooperating and THEIR lack of urgency. He never once said what they had in evidence was good for RB's arrest. The first officers were rushed to find a live child, not a dead one. Was this a mistake on their part? I don't know, how well were they trained in finding missing children?

Yeah, they should have reported the blood, I'll give him that, but that's it. GBI and local LE did what they were trained and asked to do.

I hope we are not seeing the foundation of an investigation that says a wrongful arrest occurred and it was local LE's fault. jmo

The possibility they may have the wrong man makes me sick at my stomach. I know we all have to wait and for the most part I believe he is the guy but if not HOLY CRAP....What an awful thing to happen! I am so impatient!!

I hope we are not seeing the foundation of an investigation that says a wrongful arrest occurred and it was local LE's fault. jmo

Just curious mck, what gives you that impression of a potential wrongful arrest?

The possibility they may have the wrong man makes me sick at my stomach. I know we all have to wait and for the most part I believe he is the guy but if not HOLY CRAP....What an awful thing to happen! I am so impatient!!

I am impatient too. And it would be just horrible if that happened especially for JR's family. And to think there could be someone on the loose. I don't even want to think about that. jmo

Just curious mck, what gives you that impression of a potential wrongful arrest?

It just bothers me that there has been nothing released tying him RB directly to the crime. I have felt this way from the beginning. I guess because the arrest was so swift and we aren't used to seeing that. And in the cases where that has happened facts are released quickly. We have not even been told why he was arrested. Just that they have lots of evidense.

If they are wrong, how will they save face and get out of it. No better way than to say the whole thing was botched and blame LE. I am just basing it on my own feelings. Nothing concrete. Everything is just too quiet. jmo

It was stated RB was appointed 2 of the BEST Lawyers in Canton. They have been waiting on the DNA results with baited breath. I don't think they will sit back and allow RB to to remain in jail if there isn't a match.
IMO the results ARE back and LE either doesn't have a match OR there are TWO DNA profiles that were retrieved... It sure sounds like back pedeling to me.:truce:
They are setting the scene by saying we messed up! -IMO a positive match would have ended up before the GJ Monday.
LE may very well be back a square one and they are procrastinating at this point, they will HAVE to respond soon.:twocents:

It just bothers me that there has been nothing released tying him RB directly to the crime. I have felt this way from the beginning. I guess because the arrest was so swift and we aren't used to seeing that. And in the cases where that has happened facts are released quickly. We have not even been told why he was arrested. Just that they have lots of evidense.

If they are wrong, how will they save face and get out of it. No better way than to say the whole thing was botched and blame LE. I am just basing it on my own feelings. Nothing concrete. Everything is just too quiet. jmo

I understand you concern, but maybe this will help a little:

http://dofs.gbi.georgia.gov/00/article/0,2086,75166109_75728566_81669505,00.html

Ga's main GBI DNA testing lab has capillary electrophoresis , and can turn around a Dna sample (up to 48 actually) within 24 hours if needed. We know they were working around the clock to do the testing, so it's easily possibly that DNA matches were made swiftly. An interesting read.

I understand you concern, but maybe this will help a little:

http://dofs.gbi.georgia.gov/00/article/0,2086,75166109_75728566_81669505,00.html

Ga's main GBI DNA testing lab has capillary electrophoresis , and can turn around a Dna sample (up to 48 actually) within 24 hours if needed. We know they were working around the clock to do the testing, so it's easily possibly that DNA matches were made swiftly. An interesting read.

I hope they have a match. I am just nervous about it. Why do you think they did not take it to the Grand Jury. If I understood the piece I read a few days ago, the GJ doesn't meet again for a month. Is that correct? ty

How long for tox reports Capri? I think those take longer? tia

Does anyone know if there's a video of the neighbor who walked upon RB and the other maintenance dudes where RB was showing his wrists? He said something like RB said "he was with him last night". I think I understand what he tried to convey, but the way it was written confuses me. There's probably no a video though. dang. J. Tosso or something like that was the name. tia

I think the blow to the head was the initial attack and it was done to silence her. That is why no one heard anything. I think it rendered her unconscious and this is when the actual sexual attack occurred. If she was stabbed I believe that was done in the course of the sexaul attack. Not sure about the binding of her legs or why the duct tape if this in fact was the case. Maybe just a precaution. These are the facts that LE has released and these are the only facts we know. I do not know who did this and I will not try to figure out RB's past or present to try to make him fit into this scenario.

Having said that I will add that I hope that LE has their man and I hope they have the proof to back that up. I just have not seen it and until I do I feel it could have been anyone who worked at the apts., who lived at the apts, or who visited the apts. I have not been convinced because there have not been enough facts released against RB. This is just my opinion and I can't in good conscious feel any other way. I wish I was sure of his guilt but I'm not.

Hey honey, you are not on the jury...& it is OKAY to have your opinion!

I think they had good reason to arrest the suspect. And that as more evidence is returned, they will have even more. JMO

1. Investigators said they believed that prior to her disappearance, Jorelys went into the apartment to grab some drinks for her friends. Baker said "statements provided by witnesses indicate that the child returned to the park after getting the drinks." so the soda cans were at the playground when Jorelys vanished. A reporter then asked Baker if the cans were found and Baker said yes and they were sent for testing.

I agree. The perp probably didn't touch the cans but nevertheless, they were collected by LE and sent for testing.

2. NG: Was the body of Jorely, was it in a trash bag?

NATISHA LANCE: We don`t know if the body was in a trash bag, Nancy, but I did speak to the GBI director today. What he told me is that the body was not visible when they pulled this dumpster from the apartment complex. And he also said that it took a lot of sifting in order to get down to the body. The body was contained in between heavily condensed garbage.

IMO if the body had been in a trash bag, the GBI director would not have used the word body through this dialogue with NL.

Today I watched the video which showed the crane removing the garbage bags that were in the compactor and there were thousands of bags. If Jorelys' body had been placed in a bag, my opinion is she may never have been found because it would have taken forever if LE was determined to sift through them all.

This information only suggests her body wasn't placed in a trash bag which turned out to be a costly mistake for the person who committed this crime.

There were more trash containers on site at the complex and I wonder if LE is still sifting through all the bags searching for other items of interest or whether because of the time and manpower it would take and level of difficulty, they called it off. Searching through all the bags would be like looking for a needle in a haystack and it's possible the perp threw the murder weapon somewhere else.

GBI said they sent what they believe to be blood found in the vacant apartment out for testing immediately and the lab technicians worked all night so they could have the results asap, so GBI have these results and know for certain whether it is Jorelys' blood that was in the vacant apartment.

I'm not sure what you mean in the opening sentence so could you please explain it to me?

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1112/05/ng.01.html

http://www.ledgernews.com/news/1108...urder-charge-case-not-presented-to-grand-jury

http://canton.11alive.com/news/news/92865-canton-police-fear-missing-7-year-old-was-abducted Teenage sitter went to get drinks, returned to the playground and JR was missing...

OR

http://www.ajc.com/news/cherokee/abduction-suspected-in-case-1249642.html
Jorelys, who turned 7 on Aug. 20, disappeared around 5 p.m. Friday while she took a break from playing at the River Ridge complex on River Ridge Drive, police said. She reportedly told other children at the playground that she was going inside to get drinks, but never returned.

OR

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/7-year-old-girl-missing/nFsYb/
7-year-old girl missing
The girl, Jorely Rivera, was playing in the playground of her River Ridge apartment complex on River Ridge Drive in Canton. She was being watched by a teen who last saw her around 5 p.m., Canton police said. Rivera’s father lives in Puerto Rico and her mother was out of town.

Then there's this, which makes me tend to believe she was not in a trash bag - but, again, media is reporting, it's not a statement from LE:
Missing 7-year-old's body found in Dumpster
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/crews-intensify-search-missing-girl/nFs6d/

"At the apartment complex where the girl was last seen. He said they took the Dumpster to a barren field across the street and emptied it. News Chopper 2 flew over the field, where authorities removed the body from a pile of trash. Georgia Bureau of Investigation director Vernon Keenan said the child was badly beaten and sexually assaulted."
<snip>
"Police said Jorelys left the playground and went back home to get drinks for her friends but say she never returned after she left her apartment. Investigators said that they found soda cans behind an apartment building and were analyzing them for any information."

Did she return, or didn't she? Were the cans found on the playground, or were they found behind one of the apartment buildings? Are they even related to the case? The lack of information from LE causes all of this conflicting information every time. All we know for a fact is that a sweet little girl was brutally murdered and thrown away like trash. Same old story, different day. I pray they solve this one and at least one little girl, in this century, will receive justice.

I hope they have a match. I am just nervous about it. Why do you think they did not take it to the Grand Jury. If I understood the piece I read a few days ago, the GJ doesn't meet again for a month. Is that correct? ty

I think a lot of this was timing. I'm not sure there was enough time to get the best quality case to the GJ. If they had a couple more days yes but not during the time frame required. Why rush? To please "us"? No thank you. I would rather they take their time and put quality in front of the GJ and make sure they present everything in the proper manner.

One simple thing that doesn't make any sense. Why lie and say you were at Walmart when you were not? Supposedly there was at least one other person that lied to police about RB being at Walmart. When that lie was exposed that one other person...

SANG LIKE A CANARY:panic:

One other person = #1 witness

I agree with you. I feel nervous about it as well. I just wish we would hear one thing, like a bloody knife or his palm print at the scene. But they made it sound like there was so much evidence, and now it is like you can hear a pin drop. So yeah, nerve wracking.

I guess the other thing that bothers me is his very young age. I know there are monsters capable of doing something like this so young, but usually there is some kind of criminal or psychiatric history. For him to do such a horrible act in broad daylight at the complex where he is so visible, wow, it seems like he has zero self control and zero intelligence. So how come there are no other similar ugly incidents in his past. Punching the dog in the nose is the only one I have heard. That may or may not be an accurate account, but it does not rise to nearly the level we have now.

I am pretty sure that this is the perp. But I am less certain than I was a day or so ago.

p.s.: my high school bf punched his pit bull in the nose once when it went after the family cat and almost caught it. I was pizzed tht he did that, but he thought he was doing the right thing at the time. He loved the dog but was afraid it would get sent away if it attacked his mom's cat.

I think a lot of this was timing. I'm not sure there was enough time to get the best quality case to the GJ. If they had a couple more days yes but not during the time frame required. Why rush? To please "us"? No thank you. I would rather they take their time and put quality in front of the GJ and make sure they present everything in the proper manner.

One simple thing that doesn't make any sense. Why lie and say you were at Walmart when you were not? Supposedly there was at least one other person that lied to police about RB being at Walmart. When that lie was exposed that one other person...

SANG LIKE A CANARY:panic:

One other person = #1 witness

Sounds good to me. I so hope you are right. Now I have to log off and go help Jessica solve a murder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74