GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the rainbow crosswalk photo Katie is on the west side of Piedmont, so opposite of the park. But her angle in the crosswalk makes me believe she was about to cross Piedmont to the east/park side. She could have then either continued up Piedmont and entered the park from various places, or continued east on 10th and entered the park anywhere.
Thank you, I finally have a clear picture of where she was at in the crosswalk!

What's up with the 12:09 timestamp, vs lack of timestamp, of Katie and Bowie in the crosswalk?

This is the image APD released showing the time

This is the CBC46 article showing no time

Why is the time not shown on images in MSM articles? IMO, the time shown on the APD image is not typical of a surveillance cam timestamp (which usually contains date and time, down to minutes and seconds) and appears to have been typed/applied to the image, not part of the original image. Is it possible the original time on the image was determined to possibly be inaccurate or is it a red herring?
The timeline seems so tight if she was in the crosswalk at 12:09 and found 1 hour later. So, I have been wondering about the time in the photo. Interesting that it looks like it was applied to the photo.

The timeline seems so tight if she was in the crosswalk at 12:09 and found 1 hour later. So, I have been wondering about the time in the photo. Interesting that it looks like it was applied to the photo.
I wonder if they cropped the original camera shot to make her larger and centered in the still. So the timestamp was cut off and they added it back in?

Bumping this because some may have missed it and there are some interesting points.

Geographic profiling? rbbm.
Geographic Profiling
''The Brentingham model suggests that we all have an 'activity space' related to the areas in which we live, work and play and that this activity space produces a discernible pattern of movement around the city.

In relation to criminal activity, therefore, it follows that an offender has to know about a particular geographical area before he or she begins selecting crimes to commit; and where the offenders movement patterns intersect within this geographical area, will to a large extent determine where the crime takes place.''

The Use of Geographic Profiling in Crime Analysis - Crime Mapping & Analysis News
''Geographic profiling is the process of determining the most probable area of an offender’s base of activities through an analysis of his or her crime locations (Rossmo, 2000). It is used most often in investigations of serial crimes. This technology assists law enforcement by focusing limited resources, resulting in the apprehension of the offender faster with less time spent and resources expended, and fewer victims. In large investigations, these savings can be significant (Velarde, 2004).

Research has shown that the most important influence on where criminals offend is where they go during their non-criminal activities (Bennett & Wright, 1984). This can be represented through a mathematical model. Geographic profiling focuses the search for suspects using a combination of environmental criminology theory, research on offender spatial behavior, and mathematics, which has been incorporated into geographic profiling software called Rigel by Environmental Criminology Research Inc. (http://ecricanada.com/products/rigel-workstation/). Rigel uses an algorithm called criminal geographic targeting (CGT) to create a geo-profile, a two-dimensional probability surface that overlays on a street map and shows the most probable areas for the offender’s base (Rossmo, 2013). The geo-profile map normally uses color to represent probability. While this may initially look similar to a hot-spot map of the crimes, it is actually showing different information: where the offender is likely based rather than where they commit their crimes.''

I can’t beyond the fact that LE has footage of that many people exiting the park and EMS responded to the 911 call at roughly 1:10. It makes you think, did the attack occur much closer to Emma’s arrival? But that doesn’t work out because Emma arrived home and phone calls/texts went unanswered as soon as she recognized that Katie wasn’t home. (12:30+ ish) So what happened? Did people truly walk by this horrifying scene unaware? At night I feel like my sense of awareness is heightened... that just doesn’t make sense that no one would have seen anything . But neither does the attack occurring right before poor Emma locates Katie and Bowie. I guess we can only hope someone did see something and has been in contact with police. I pray day and night for justice for Katie and Bowie and for this to be resolved without someone else being attacked.

I can’t beyond the fact that LE has footage of that many people exiting the park and EMS responded to the 911 call at roughly 1:10. It makes you think, did the attack occur much closer to Emma’s arrival? But that doesn’t work out because Emma arrived home and phone calls/texts went unanswered as soon as she recognized that Katie wasn’t home. (12:30+ ish) So what happened? Did people truly walk by this horrifying scene unaware? At night I feel like my sense of awareness is heightened... that just doesn’t make sense that no one would have seen anything . But neither does the attack occurring right before poor Emma locates Katie and Bowie. I guess we can only hope someone did see something and has been in contact with police. I pray day and night for justice for Katie and Bowie and for this to be resolved without someone else being attacked.
This is the same I was thinking. I was wondering at what time did Emma realize Katie wasn't responding to texts, etc? That would likely give us an idea of when the attack could have occurred. That seems to have been in the 12:30 range perhaps? not sure. But like you Yankee, I am perplexed as to how so many people coming and going from the park could not have seen something. Why is Katie's body not discovered until Emma arrives just after 1:00? There are just few puzzle pieces missing here.

But like you Yankee, I am perplexed as to how so many people coming and going from the park could not have seen something. Why is Katie's body not discovered until Emma arrives just after 1:00? There are just few puzzle pieces missing here.

The entire case feels pretty tight lipped. I would be shocked if there aren't additional witnesses/leads that are not being disclosed to the public/her family . There are tons of rumors floating around with this case and some might have half truths, but official sources have been very quiet. Most of the information posters have shared and analyzed on this thread is from Emma/her father and not the APD. IMO there's a lot going on we don't know about and might not know until there is a specific lead or arrest.

Last edited:
Can anyone post a map which shows the possible path Katie walked from the crosswalk to the park?
Without knowing if there are any additional pics from her at the rainbow crosswalk or any of the 'main gates' there are multiple (aprx 5) other paths she could have taken on Piedmont that we have no indication to believe have cameras.

The entire case feels pretty tight lipped. I would be shocked if there aren't additional witnesses/leads that are not being disclosed to the public/her family . There are tons of rumors floating around with this case and some might have half truths, but official sources have been very quiet. Most of the information posters have shared and analyzed on this thread is from Emma/her father and not the APD. IMO there's a lot going on we don't know about and might not know until there is a specific lead or arrest.
There aren't that many people coming and going in the park on a Tues into Wed.
Central Park in NYC also has cold cases that have never been solved or solved a decade or later after.

Most of the information posters have shared and analyzed on this thread is from Emma/her father and not the APD. IMO there's a lot going on we don't know about and might not know until there is a specific lead or arrest.

I agree. It must be so frustrating/extra-upsetting for people who live in the area, though, not to have at least a little more information so they can keep themselves safe.

I agree. It must be so frustrating/extra-upsetting for people who live in the area, though, not to have at least a little more information so they can keep themselves safe.
Atlanta's violent crime rate has skyrocketed, basically people know not to go to parks, gas stations or prob. half the city now late night. (<<This isn't meant as political statement but rather that this is a high profile case, but there has been a spate of unexpected crime all over Atlanta and many other cities in the last 12-18 months and people need to be very prudent)

Hope against hope that’s the case.However, if there is a threat to the public I do wish they would share information that could contribute to risk assessment for the women of Atlanta. Obviously, walk in 3/4s at night is clear advice but it came from the DA, this is a stupid question but is she privy to the same information LE has? Was her advice coming from personal opinion or from LE? I guess it doesn’t make a difference but then it also kinda does, does that make any sense?

There aren't that many people coming and going in the park on a Tues into Wed.
Central Park in NYC also has cold cases that have never been solved or solved a decade or later after.

True. But, 800+ acres compared to less than 100 acres is quite a difference. I don't know exactly why but I thought we would hear more from LE on this case by now.

Without knowing if there are any additional pics from her at the rainbow crosswalk or any of the 'main gates' there are multiple (aprx 5) other paths she could have taken on Piedmont that we have no indication to believe have cameras.
The way I see it, if Katie had proceeded up Piedmont, she could have accessed the park either at 11th street, or that little one lane drive midway between 11th and 12th. I don't think she could have got in at 12th or further up Piedmont or she would have been caught on camera at 12th. Otherwise, she could have proceeded east on 10th from the rainbow crosswalk and entered the park anywhere, as there is no fence or wall along 10th. I think all of those entrances are within 150 meters of each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrickheffley