GA - Katherine Janness, 40, walking dog, both fatally stabbed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s probably just a lighting thing but does the runners shirt look different and each of the two photos?

I think it's just the lighting; appears to be a royal blue shirt with some kind of white logo on the right breast in both.

It is really odd that he turned around.

Yet my understanding is that the first 911 call to the scene was from Katie's wife, so what I'm trying to figure out, then, is what the runner might have seen that was not bad enough to call 911 but bad enough to make him decide to turn around. I keep thinking that maybe he heard Katie and her killer in the middle of an argument and thought "yikes, I don't want to get involved in that" but did not think it merited calling the police. Which would be a tragic mistake but one that probably anyone could make. Surely that person would have already come forward and told the police what they saw/heard if that were the case, though?

I'm still leaning toward a random attack, but targeted could be possible. I'd like to know if her walking the dog at this time was normal/routine. Did she follow the same path every night? Those sort of things.

This information was obtained from an interview with Katie’s partner, Emma Clark. Emma was working at a Midtown restaurant when Katie came by that evening with the dog to say hello. It was her last time Emma saw either of them alive. Emma discusses in the interview how she looked for Katie by driving along familiar walking routes that Katie would take when walking the dog. And yes, it has been reported that Katie often walked the dog at night after she got home from working her restaurant/bartending job.

For the entire interview EXCLUSIVE: Partner of woman killed in Piedmont Park speaks about victim's final moments

“She came by with the dog because if she is out with the dog and she is over there she comes to say hi and lets me see him,” Clark said. “Just check up on me see how long I was going to be at work. I said I love you, be safe, and see you later."

Later, Clark said Janness did not respond to her phone calls or texts.

“If I get home and she is not there, I always just call her just to be like, ‘hey what’s your ETA? Where are you at,'” Clark said. “And, she didn’t answer. She always answers. That’s when I knew something was really wrong. I called her a bunch of times. She didn’t answer. I texted her a bunch. She didn’t respond. I knew immediately something wasn’t right.”

Clark says she used the 'Find my Phone' app to locate Janness’ phone. She says it pinged to Piedmont Park and was not moving, which concerned her considering Janness was walking the dog. Clark says she left her home and began driving around familiar routes that she thought Janness would take. She says she then went to the park and made the gruesome discovery that Janness had been mutilated and their dog killed as well.”

I think it's just the lighting; appears to be a royal blue shirt with some kind of white logo on the right breast in both.

Yet my understanding is that the first 911 call to the scene was from Katie's wife, so what I'm trying to figure out, then, is what the runner might have seen that was not bad enough to call 911 but bad enough to make him decide to turn around. I keep thinking that maybe he heard Katie and her killer in the middle of an argument and thought "yikes, I don't want to get involved in that" but did not think it merited calling the police. Which would be a tragic mistake but one that probably anyone could make. Surely that person would have already come forward and told the police what they saw/heard if that were the case, though?
I'm not sure how it plays into the known timeline, but is it possible the runner turned around because of the dog? Like maybe her saw her walking that dog and decided not to pass? Or maybe the park entrance is simply his turn around point?

i notice the scooters all lined up on google street view....could be used to getaway quickly?
I see a scooter all by itself and wonder if it belongs to the guy in white. Originally I thought he was carrying something under his arm, hence the red blob but...

I can't see the pic of the blue jogger anymore. Where did those pics go?Originally I thought he was carrying a backpack.

I'm not sure how it plays into the known timeline, but is it possible the runner turned around because of the dog? Like maybe her saw her walking that dog and decided not to pass? Or maybe the park entrance is simply his turn around point?

I hadn't considered that, but it's a completely benign and 100% plausible possibility. Personally I'm afraid of large dogs and might choose not to cross paths with one (even on a leash with an owner) if there were alternative routes easily available.

Thank you. I hadn't seen the pic of the person in a camo hoodie (or what appears to be) next to a woman's bike with a basket on the front handlebars. The two don't go together.

It's just one of the Relay Bikes rental bikes that you can rent to ride around Midtown.

hmmm, wonder who might have seen Katie come by the restaurant to visit Emma... Back to the knives conversation from earlier on about who carries knives...

I wish we had more information about the timeline. All I think that has been confirmed is that Katie was still alive as of about 10 after midnight (I can't remember the exact time) in the rainbow crosswalk and was found deceased about half a mile away at the Charles Allen entrance of the park "around 1:00." Assuming she walked straight from that crosswalk to that entrance of the park at a normal pace without stopping anywhere along the way, and assuming she was murdered shortly after entering the park (because according to her wife, her phone was shown as not moving and she would have been unlikely to stop to sit on a bench or etc.), that would put the time of the murder around 12:15 or so at the latest, yes? Of course there may be other possibilities, for example that she was having an extended conversation/argument with someone at that location (and therefore not moving because she was standing in basically the same place) before she was killed. Otherwise it seems like there's a really large window of time between the crime and the discovery of the scene.

Has LE made an appeal to be on the look out for someone covered in bandages? Particularly the arms? Has anyone been to the emergency room for dog bite injuries? I am positive that the dog tore the perp up good before dying.

I’m not sure what to think of the runner in APD pics …. it looks like he may be coming out of the park, but then again, the fact that he has changed directions may give us that illusion. Like TL45 said…. it may just be his turning point. Or it could be his direction has changed and he’s jogging in place while waiting for the traffic light to change so he can cross 10th street and continue in a different direction.

I hope some of these people respond and speak to investigators.

snipped
“Despite some rumors that cameras weren't working near where the murder happened, Atlanta Police's spokesman says all APD cameras in the area were working properly at the time of the murder and they are continuing to review footage.
Mayor Bottoms warned the public against the feeding into the growing rumors surrounding the case that police have kept largely private as they continue to search for clues.

"I am also asking people just to be thoughtful about the rumors and spreading false information. It certainly doesn’t help us at all in this investigation and making any headway in who is responsible," Bottoms said.

Also, in Atlanta news the past 24 hrs:

Autopsy on dog belonging to Piedmont Park murder victim

“Investigators believe it is almost a certainty the pet named Bowie engaged with the killer in an effort to protect his owner.

As such, APD ordered an autopsy of the animal looking for potential DNA that may have ended up on, or in the mouth of Bowie.

"They will treat the dog forensically the same way they would treat a human being," said Vincent Velazquez, a former homicide detective with the Atlanta force.

Velazquez expects bite impressions have already been taken off the animal as well as a check of the dog's nails for potential skin that may have been left by the person who committed the murder.

The detective with more than two decades of experience says a "transfer of evidence" could be significant.

If authorities can collect a sample, it can be compared to a criminal database and potentially the identification of the killer”
Besides "the public" she could have also specified "the press" in her statement, even the AJC spread this rumor.
Piedmont Park cameras weren’t working night of deadly stabbing, friends say

I’m not sure what to think of the runner in APD pics …. it looks like he may be coming out of the park, but then again, the fact that he has changed directions may give us that illusion. Like TL45 said…. it may just be his turning point. Or it could be his direction has changed and he’s jogging in place while waiting for the traffic light to change so he can cross 10th street and continue in a different direction.

I hope some of these people respond and speak to investigators.

I think it looks like he’s turning around as well.

Apparently it would have taken the victim to get from that crosswalk to the place she was found around 10 minutes. The crosswalk photo was at 12:15ish right? So that means she probably got there around 12:25.

The group of young people (two women and a guy) left from the side of the park (Charles Allen and 10th entrance) where she was found around 11:54 ish, so it’s unlikely they saw the actual attack but could have seen the assailant hanging around.

Cane guy was leaving on the other side of the park from where the victim was found around 12:25 so it’s hard to say if he would have seen anything either. He may have seen the person inside the park before the attack. Maybe not.

The guy in the hoodie is also leaving on the other side of the park at 12:43, or about 18 minutes from when KT likely arrived. I’m not sure he could have seen much (other than the killer wandering around but before KT was attacked) because he was still a good ways away from the Charles Allen entrance.

So then we have runner guy at 12:46 ish, or about 20 minutes after KT likely arrived, and by the entrance where she was found. I can’t say for sure, but it’s my hunch that he was turning around (and hence didn’t enter the park) or else he would have maybe saw something warranting calling the police. I think she was likely dead by then because she had probably been there a whole 20 minutes (that is, if she didn’t take any detours on her way from the crosswalk she was last photographed at). 20 minutes just seems like way too long of a time frame for her to have been in the park without being attacked.

I’d also like to mention while the morbid rumors detailing the exact nature of her condition floating around aren’t confirmed, officials have reiterated that this case is pretty “unusual” and nothing like they’ve seen in a while. Words like “mutilated” and “disfigured” have also been used by the press. That leads me to think this wasn’t a stab and run and that it probably took a decent amount of time for the killer to attack both her and the dog in such a gruesome way.

Hence, I doubt the runner happened upon a argument at 12:45 between KT and the killer, said “awkward” and then ran. That would only leave 15 odd minutes before her partner found her for the killer to carry out such a gruesome attack. And again, KT could have been there 20 minutes at that point.

Had he gone in, he also would have stumbled upon the dog only 50 feet in. My unsubstantiated hunch is that the killer was wrapping up around then but had not quite fled from the scene.

Also because it was pretty late, the runner probably was just running on the street and not looking to go through the park (but who knows).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member