GA - Katherine Janness, 40, walking dog, both fatally stabbed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not American and tasers are illegal here but are they common there? I was musing how one (presumed) person could physically do this without (apparently) anyone seeing or hearing and it occurred to me as a possibility.

rbbm.
Not comparing the perp in this case to a sk, only referencing these links because of the material that may be pertinent in this one, fwiw..

VERSACE MAY HAVE LOOKED AT KILLER, AUTOPSY SHOWS
''Versace, 50, was gunned down on the steps of his Ocean Drive home on July 15 as he fidgeted with the keys to the mansion's wrought-iron gate.''

''The disfiguring of his victims' faces was a Cunanan trademark, and one that many serial killers employ, according to retired FBI agent Peter Smerick.

"It's a way to dehumanize the victims and it also shows a rage-filled, angry killing," Smerick said.''

Multiple stabbing in sex-related homicides - PubMed
''The motives of homicides are classified as non-sexual and sexual, including homicides related to rape, jealousy, amorous affairs outside of an established relationship, deviant sexual behaviour of psychiatric patients, paraphilia, and disturbed emotional relationships between the victim and the assailant. Cases include both hetero- and homosexual relationships. Multiple stabbing occurs significantly more frequently in sex-related homicides (≥ 3 stab wounds) than in other homicide types.''

''For female victims, all homicides committed by 25 and more stab wounds were found to be sex-related. Statistically, jealousy was the most frequent motive for sex-related multiple stabbing homicides. Regardless of age, homicides involving multiple stabbings should be considered sex-related, especially when the victim is female.''

The obsessive stalker theories are interesting. I can see a stranger pining over her from a far carrying out something like this, but the one thing that doesn’t fit to me is the location. I know people keep saying “well they could have learned her routine”.

Would that then mean the killer camped out in Piedmont park in hopes of catching her walk by? But then again, just because someone has a routine doesn’t mean they are as predictable as Japanese bullet trains. “12:03 Wednesday is when she walks by! I’ll make my move”. I just don’t buy it.

That then leads me to think that a deranged stalker would have had to follow her around Midtown and then into the park. But surely they would have video of that?

I wonder if there is any evidence to substantiate the latter.

I'm with you on this line of thinking. I do think LE has more surveillance than has been released. So far no reason to believe they think someone was actively following her. But possibly a lying in wait type thing?

I have given some thought to her being a bartender and the potential there for someone to become fixated that way. Bartenders make their living being friendly, engaging, and attentive. That can get misinterpreted.
Then throw a little alcohol in the mix.

I'm with you on this line of thinking. I do think LE has more surveillance than has been released. So far no reason to believe they think someone was actively following her. But possibly a lying in wait type thing?

I have given some thought to her being a bartender and the potential there for someone to become fixated that way. Bartenders make their living being friendly, engaging, and attentive. That can get misinterpreted.

Makes sense, and I guess someone obsessive enough wouldn’t mind the inconvenience of lying in wait (whoever it was would have had to have had a lot of patience to stake out if she was in fact targeted, considering it’s not certain when or if she would have walked through the park).

Not impossible but somewhat unlikely that a lustful straight man would go to the very gay friendly bar she worked at and become fixated with someone who presumably is known to be a lesbian. As for lying in wait how would they know the time and route?
Unless LE is holding back some photos the odds are this is a person already in the park who randomly encountered her (and Bowie) or someone she was in touch in with who knew where she would be.

Locals- do you feel like your neighbors are concerned about this?
I would not be surprised if some of mine are not aware of it at all. Most i have spoken to are aware of it but have not paid much attention to it, not enough to think twice about their own safety. They have not read any news articles and did not watch the pc’s.
Normally that would be me. I do not read the newspaper and rarely watch news on tv. But, this feels different to me and i am paying close attention now.

All just my thoughts,

The more I think about the more I think, she walked in on twelfth, went down and to the right around the hill heading towards Charles Allen and tenth gates, stopped under the trees 150 ft in from the gate, either let Bowie off leash or more likely, stopped and extended a retractable leash, and then she was attacked and disabled, at which point the dog ran at the killer and the killer ran at the dog and killed him, and then went back and finished the murder.

The part with the dog is still awkward to me, I don’t understand why the bodies were so apart because it seems like Bowie would have closed more ground. Maybe he moved her further back in before he mutilated her.

Not impossible but somewhat unlikely that a lustful straight man would go to the very gay friendly bar she worked at and become fixated with someone who presumably is known to be a lesbian. As for lying in wait how would they know the time and route?
Unless LE is holding back some photos the odds are this is a person already in the park who randomly encountered her (and Bowie) or someone she was in touch in with who knew where she would be.

Right, I don’t believe in the obsessive stalker theories at all for any of the reasons you mentioned. I was trying to play devils advocate with myself but im convinced it was a crime of opportunity.

I was just curious because this theory ballooned out of nowhere. Even if such a theory was leaked by someone with insider knowledge, it doesn’t corroborate common sense assumptions or statements disseminated from officials. I mean the police keep telling people not to go to the park unless in groups of 3 or 4. And it just doesn’t make sense that someone would try to time her walk because she could’ve had an unpredictable schedule. I mean she had just been to dinner with her GF an hour prior. I think people with insider knowledge could have overheard someone in their ranks merely speculating about an obsessive fixated type in passing, but that doesn’t mean it’s a viable theory. Like even rumors from good sources can be mostly false. I only believe in this stuff if it’s corroborated by other info, which this is not.

Edit:To clarify, I think the cops must think it’s a rando without a fixation on the victim specifically because why else would they issue that warning about walking along late at night unless in groups of 3 or 4?

All just my thoughts,

The more I think about the more I think, she walked in on twelfth, went down and to the right around the hill heading towards Charles Allen and tenth gates, stopped under the trees 150 ft in from the gate, either let Bowie off leash or more likely, stopped and extended a retractable leash, and then she was attacked and disabled, at which point the dog ran at the killer and the killer ran at the dog and killed him, and then went back and finished the murder.

The part with the dog is still awkward to me, I don’t understand why the bodies were so apart because it seems like Bowie would have closed more ground. Maybe he moved her further back in before he mutilated her.
If she walked in on 12th there would be multiple other photos of her after the rainbow crosswalk. A week+ after her murder it would be odd/counterintuitive for LE to be holding on those photos and not informing the public of the last location she was seen alive. (IMHO)

I would not be surprised if some of mine are not aware of it at all. Most i have spoken to are aware of it but have not paid much attention to it, not enough to think twice about their own safety. They have not read any news articles and did not watch the pc’s.
Normally that would be me. I do not read the newspaper and rarely watch news on tv. But, this feels different to me and i am paying close attention now.
My stepsister lives in Atlanta and took her dog to a dog park the other day and said that's all everyone was talking about.She said the women were especially scared to walk their dogs alone anymore.My sister always felt safe walking her 100 pound Shepherd/Malamute but now she just takes her to the dog park when it's crowded and doesn't walk her anymore.

Right, I don’t believe in the obsessive stalker theories at all for any of the reasons you mentioned. I was trying to play devils advocate with myself but im convinced it was a crime of opportunity.

I was just curious because this theory ballooned out of nowhere. Even if such a theory was leaked by someone with insider knowledge, it doesn’t corroborate common sense assumptions or statements disseminated from officials. I mean the police keep telling people not to go to the park unless in groups of 3 or 4. And it just doesn’t make sense that someone would try to time her walk because she could’ve had an unpredictable schedule. I mean she had just been to dinner with her GF an hour prior. I think people with insider knowledge could have overheard someone in their ranks merely speculating about an obsessive fixated type in passing, but that doesn’t mean it’s a viable theory. Like even rumors from good sources can be mostly false. I only believe in this stuff if it’s corroborated by other info, which this is not.

Edit:To clarify, I think the cops must think it’s a rando without a fixation on the victim specifically because why else would they issue that warning about walking along late at night unless in groups of 3 or 4?
If the perpetrator fixates on someone else, it will be more difficult to apprehend her if she is in a group of 3 or 4. I think it's the nature of the crime that leads to speculation of obsession/fantasy.

It’s all my friends and I are talking about. I went to dinner at a friend’s house a few blocks away from the park last night and, although we refrained from speaking of it then (I think this was mostly not to freak out her teenage daughter who has anxiety issues), I felt like there was a strange tension. And when it was time to leave, the three of us guests made damn sure that we all walked out together. I drove past the gate where she was found and… it still just blows my mind that it happened THERE. Two decades ago, I got engaged in that park, shortly after dark, not too far from where she was found. It’s just so hard to believe that something so absolutely heinous could happen there. And it’s terrifying to know that the monster that did it is still out there.

I'm the only person in my circle that I know of concerned at the level of following the case v closely. I think most ppl are just going about their business as usual. I'm with you, this feels very different somehow and tbh I wonder if folks haven't somehow gotten numb to violence given the level of it in ATL overall prior to this. I'm usually vigilant but I've up-leveled my attention to personal safety since. I don't want to energize fear too much in this thread but part of me is wondering when this sicko is gonna present next and where.

It’s all my friends and I are talking about. I went to dinner at a friend’s house a few blocks away from the park last night and, although we refrained from speaking of it then (I think this was mostly not to freak out her teenage daughter who has anxiety issues), I felt like there was a strange tension. And when it was time to leave, the three of us guests made damn sure that we all walked out together. I drove past the gate where she was found and… it still just blows my mind that it happened THERE. Two decades ago, I got engaged in that park, shortly after dark, not too far from where she was found. It’s just so hard to believe that something so absolutely heinous could happen there. And it’s terrifying to know that the monster that did it is still out there.
Yeah that's tough for sure, I too have so many positive memories there. I don't think I'll ever be able to look at the Charles Allen gate the same way again.

rbbm.
Not comparing the perp in this case to a sk, only referencing these links because of the material that may be pertinent in this one, fwiw..

VERSACE MAY HAVE LOOKED AT KILLER, AUTOPSY SHOWS
''Versace, 50, was gunned down on the steps of his Ocean Drive home on July 15 as he fidgeted with the keys to the mansion's wrought-iron gate.''

''The disfiguring of his victims' faces was a Cunanan trademark, and one that many serial killers employ, according to retired FBI agent Peter Smerick.

"It's a way to dehumanize the victims and it also shows a rage-filled, angry killing," Smerick said.''

Multiple stabbing in sex-related homicides - PubMed
''The motives of homicides are classified as non-sexual and sexual, including homicides related to rape, jealousy, amorous affairs outside of an established relationship, deviant sexual behaviour of psychiatric patients, paraphilia, and disturbed emotional relationships between the victim and the assailant. Cases include both hetero- and homosexual relationships. Multiple stabbing occurs significantly more frequently in sex-related homicides (≥ 3 stab wounds) than in other homicide types.''

''For female victims, all homicides committed by 25 and more stab wounds were found to be sex-related. Statistically, jealousy was the most frequent motive for sex-related multiple stabbing homicides. Regardless of age, homicides involving multiple stabbings should be considered sex-related, especially when the victim is female.''
We do not know how many times she was stabbed, probably more than three. But reading this makes me think it was almost certainly sexually motivated.
What would someone who wanted to assault and kill a woman be doing in a park close to midnight on a random Tuesday, weapon at the ready. This location at Late night hours is widely known to be used by men hoping to meet other men and that may not happen very frequently. There would be other people randomly walking through the park to take a shortcut or walking on sidewalks outside the park.
For everything that makes me think it was a targeted attack there is another thing to make me think it was random.

If the perpetrator fixates on someone else, it will be more difficult to apprehend her if she is in a group of 3 or 4. I think it's the nature of the crime that leads to speculation of obsession/fantasy.

I think it’s possible. But there’s so many issues with timing the crime right if her killer was really obsessed with her...Criminal profiling is interesting but not exactly known to be credible. Random people do heinous things like this all the time to strangers, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz