GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 #15 *appeals denied*

Yes but the drug would be mixed with alcohol. That could raise the BAC. Oh well, I also remember reading LG was at the pool. Was that before she went thru zaxbys or the day before? If it was the day, one would probably have a drink at the pool, and on a female easy to get a .11 BAC from that. :)

bbm: Here's one account, an excerpt from a long story in The Washington Post. (This is the account, BTW, that says the Zaxby's refuse was found in Lauren's car, while most local-to-Macon accounts say in her apartment.):

... Last days and hours
On Friday night, June 24, Lauren went out with friends. Two of her classmates, both acoustic guitarists, were performing in bars downtown. She and her pals hit the Rookery first, listened for a while, then crossed the street to Bottoms Up.

The evening was a welcome breather after weeks of intensive study. Georgia’s bar exam was scheduled for late July, and Lauren was determined to pass. It surprised no one who knew her well that she wanted to become a public defender, to devote her career to the poorest of the accused.

As she occasionally would do after a night on the town, she slept at a friend’s place Friday. Her boyfriend, Vandiver, who was in California that weekend, has privileges at a Macon country club, and on Saturday, Lauren used his name to get in. She wanted to swim and relax by the pool.

About 6:30 p.m., as she was headed back to Barristers Hall, alone in her 2004 Mitsubishi Galant, she stopped for fast food at a drive-up window monitored by an overhead camera. The wrappers and receipt would later be found in her car, so maybe she ate before she got home. ...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...to-heartache/2011/08/05/gIQAj47IzI_story.html

Thanks for covering the home front for the hearing today, bessie. I was able to watch very little, just a glimpse here and there.

What's your take on what prompted the judge to stop the live feed? (Even though the judge broke up the party, I still want to say: WMAZ, we appreciate the coverage!)

Also, I read in a wrap-up account (I'll link what I've found in that department below) that the judge reversed himself on a decision he'd made at the hearing before this one, the one that would have allowed bladed weapons in but not guns, baseball bat, etc. Sounds like now the formerly specifically-excluded things are in, along with duct tape. Did the prosecution specifically ask for reconsideration of this and/or did the judge give an explanation for the reversal?

WMAZ photo gallery from hearing:
http://www.13wmaz.com/picture-galle...6/stephen-mcdaniel-january-6-hearing/4342819/

Despite the fact that the still cameras often catch him with wild looks on his face (and the same cameras don't always flatter others, either!), I think Stephen has looked a lot better these last couple of hearings -- just healthier or a bit more relaxed or something.

Judge may delay McDaniel trial

Judge Howard Simms says he may delay the trial of accused murderer Stephen McDaniel again due to FBI delays in providing evidence. ...
more at: http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/local/macon/2014/01/06/judge-may-delay-mcdaniel-trial/4341133/

Delays in evidence results could prompt McDaniel trial postponement

Prosecutors are still awaiting test results on the hairs from an FBI lab in Virginia. They also have yet to receive final reports from 10 FBI experts who had a hand in investigating potential evidence in the case....

...If all the materials were sent to the FBI in summer 2011, why is the FBI “just now getting around to” finishing, Simms wondered.

“What they have said consistently,” Malcor replied, “is that they are the FBI crime lab, and that Macon, Georgia’s, murder case is rather low on the things that they are doing.”

Simms asked Malcor to have the FBI’s general counsel call him.

“And I would like to hear from him today,” the judge said. “I understand that the FBI may be very busy, but so are we. ... Now they’re telling us, ‘Well, you’ll get it when we decide to send it’? I don’t think so.” ...
more at: http://www.macon.com/2014/01/06/2865096/hearing-in-mcdaniel-murder-case.html

(LOL, you go, Judge! Straighten the FBI out on this!)

Some coverage from during the morning delay before the hearing, and looks like it also has a video clip from the heariing (ETA: nope -- it's Channel 41's post-hearing coverage, well worth watching, even if just to see that I wasn't lying about how cold it is; the reporter is pretty well-bundled there outside the courthouse):

McDaniel's Sexual Activity Questioned During Motions Hearing

http://www.41nbc.com/news/local-new...al-activity-questioned-during-motions-hearing

And here's a YouTube clip from the hearing, looks like it is connected to The Telegraph:

McDaniel pretrial hearing - YouTube

New evidence revealed in McDaniel case

...13WMAZ also spoke with one of Giddings' cousins, Kathy Mann, who was at the hearing. She tells us she's ready for closure but she also wants the trial to be done correctly.

"I think at this point in time it's reasonable if they need to look over some more of the computer information. It has been 2 years and 7 months which is a gasp for us because what that means to us is it's been 2 years and 7 months since we saw Lauren and I think of that more than how long this trial is taking," Mann said.
more at: http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/local/2014/01/06/mcdaniel-case-new-evidence/4344827/

From yesterday evening's coverage, with video.

Thank you Bessie and Backwoods for recapping the proceedings.

Also, I read in a wrap-up account (I'll link what I've found in that department below) that the judge reversed himself on a decision he'd made at the hearing before this one, the one that would have allowed bladed weapons in but not guns, baseball bat, etc. Sounds like now the formerly specifically-excluded things are in, along with duct tape. Did the prosecution specifically ask for reconsideration of this and/or did the judge give an explanation for the reversal?

<snipped>

Quoting a bit of my earlier post because I found the answer (well, somewhat of one) to the question I asked. I think the article linked below must have been updated a bit since I first read/posted a link to it, because it now says, bbm:

...Simms reversed a previous ruling that would have excluded alleged evidence regarding guns, a baseball bat and duct tape found in McDaniel&#8217;s apartment. The items were deemed admissible because of violence-related &#8220;SoL&#8221; postings that refer to using such things. ...
I also think there are a few added bits in the part about the wait for FBI reports -- interesting:

...Some of these scientists have completed their examinations, but they&#8217;ve been out over the holiday period. So we should be expecting to receive some reports this week or next,&#8221; Malcor said.

She added that the only potential evidence still undergoing testing or analysis had to do with mitochondrial DNA and that a report on it won&#8217;t be ready until mid-month or later. ...
all quotes above from: http://www.macon.com/2014/01/06/2865096/hearing-in-mcdaniel-murder-case.html

The info about mitochondrial DNA testing is interesting -- that could have to do with hair with no root, correct, from which they would not be able to get nuclear DNA?

Anyhow, possibly I was just so bleary-eyed the first time I read and posted from this link that I missed the snippets above -- I don't think so, but if this is redundant, please excuse.

tomkat! MaconMom! Good to see both of you!

I called and you showeth! LOL. It's silly, I know, but when folks don't post for a while -- especially "local" ones that I don't see around and about elsewhere on WS -- I worry.

And now I get to wish you a Merry Christmas! :christmastree:

And it's a good time to say to ALL who follow Lauren's thread: I wish you a blessed, peaceful, hopeful and safe holiday season and new year!

:snowflake::snowflake::snowflake:

Why do you worry, do you think I did it ? LOL
Don't understand that comment clearly

Welcome back, MaconMom and Tomkat! I'm always so pleased to see how many members still stop in now and then. Lauren's threads have never gotten the volume of traffic we see in some of the big, high profile cases. But I'll tell you what, we sure do have a loyal group holding on for justice.

I've considered making the trip to attend at least one day of the trial. I can't say for certain just yet because I'm not sure what my schedule will be after Jan 1. In any case, I'll be there in spirit, and following the proceedings whichever way is available. Hopefully, one of the news outlets will live stream the trial on its website. And it would be great to get a first hand report from a WS'er or two. ;)

Thanks
But for th record, I am following the case, it's in the courts hands and nothign I can do about it and being here on websleuths isn't going to help, I dont think, and I have stopped by but have not commented and for a while, there was no one on here but maybe backwoods and possibly you Bessie but I remember specifically Backwoods was talking to herself, LOL, so to speak. I won't be attending the trial, may be too guesome and maybe a madhouse, if anything like Casey Anthony case but possibly not since it's not a nationwide fiasco as hers was. No one knows how others feel about this case but I also have a life outside of this and because someoene isn't on here doesnt' mean they dont' wake up many mornings re-living something that didnt' even happen to my family. So for the record, Lauren and the family is in my heart and mind til the end of my life

Why do you worry, do you think I did it ? LOL
Don't understand that comment clearly

Nope, you're not under suspicion from me, tomkat.

Several of the local posters on this case don't really post elsewhere on WS, so I don't encounter them elsewhere on the site -- and when their names don't pop up on Lauren's thread for a long time, I sometimes worry that something has happened to them or a crisis is going on in their life, etc. That's what I meant.

So there'll be a hearing today (Friday) -- I guess largely concerning the new motion for the prosecution to provide a list of web sites and data. I wonder what, if anything, else? Maybe the judge will be ready to rule on the motion concerning the hairs in the refrigerator that he deferred -- and/or possible continuance. And isn't the "sea of pink" motion yet to be ruled upon? I know it has been discussed at a hearing, but I'm thinking the judge did not rule at that time.

My guess is we won't be getting a live feed of Friday's hearing, after the judge shut the feed down the other day!

Wish we knew if/how the motions regarding new bond amount and allowing SM to leave the jail on Fridays to confer with lawyers were handled/turned out -- were they denied, did the defense withdraw them, what? I'm pretty sure nothing has been reported in the media.

<snipped>

Quoting a bit of my earlier post because I found the answer (well, somewhat of one) to the question I asked. I think the article linked below must have been updated a bit since I first read/posted a link to it, because it now says, bbm:

I also think there are a few added bits in the part about the wait for FBI reports -- interesting:

all quotes above from: http://www.macon.com/2014/01/06/2865096/hearing-in-mcdaniel-murder-case.html

The info about mitochondrial DNA testing is interesting -- that could have to do with hair with no root, correct, from which they would not be able to get nuclear DNA?

Anyhow, possibly I was just so bleary-eyed the first time I read and posted from this link that I missed the snippets above -- I don't think so, but if this is redundant, please excuse.

bbm: Regarding the FBI mitochondrial DNA testing that the prosecution says may take a while yet -- and the possibility that it might relate to hairs, I found these links that I thought interesting:

About the FBI's mitochondrial dna lab:

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/biometric-analysis/mtdna

Mitochondrial DNA Examination of Cold Case Crime Scene Hairs

...During the 1990s, forensic scientists learned that while naturally shed human hair roots and hair fragments lacking any root at all do not contain sufficient nuclear DNA for routine STR typing, they contain abundant mitochondrial DNA (Figure 2). Today, the ability to perform mtDNA analysis on virtually any head or body hair is a bonus technique in the investigation of criminal cases....
much more at: http://www.forensicmag.com/articles...l-dna-examination-cold-case-crime-scene-hairs

Per Twitter post from the Telegraph, the trial date has been bumped and it will not start 2/3.

Jumping off of Tomkat's question and wondering whether or not forensic computer evidence like this is more frequently used to retrospectively confirm a known circumstance or to establish further probable cause during an investigation period. I'll admit I'm not very well versed in the Casey Anthony case. Was the chloroform stuff uncovered before or after Caylee was found (credibility of said evidence notwithstanding..) ? Like a website about disposing bodies in the ocean being used as reason to move the search there or that website being used to prove culpability after having already discovered the body in water.

I can see them hoping this new computer evidence will help determine where the rest of (sorry) LG is. It just seems to come so late in the game, whereas the (inadmissible?) flashdrive child *advertiser censored* was revealed very early on, meaning they were definitely already searching those venues... just curious about the order of suspicion/discovery and probably wording it in a way that makes no sense, haha.

McDaniel visited website about sexual arousal from seeing someone eaten:

http://www.macon.com/2014/01/10/2872227/da-mcdaniel-visited-website-about.html

Why would the GBI think this is irrelevant to the case when they first searched his hard drive?

Thus just makes me so sick!!!!!!!!! Could SMD have eaten LG? No wonder why no one can find her poor body. Remember a long time ago the gal who was a forensics major in FL posted about this. She was possibly right. And I know the defense will say many people probably visit sites they do not want public but I can honestly say even if I looked up a serial killer.....no one in their right mind would visit these mentioned types of sites. Sex, *advertiser censored* and fetish sites are one thing but I want to cry after reading this.

Thus just makes me so sick!!!!!!!!! Could SMD have eaten LG? No wonder why no one can find her poor body. Remember a long time ago the gal who was a forensics major in FL posted about this. She was possibly right. And I know the defense will say many people probably visit sites they do not want public but I can honestly say even if I looked up a serial killer.....no one in their right mind would visit these mentioned types of sites. Sex, *advertiser censored* and fetish sites are one thing but I want to cry after reading this.

Well, there you go, thought the same but then where are the bones once the flesh disappeared

Jumping off of Tomkat's question and wondering whether or not forensic computer evidence like this is more frequently used to retrospectively confirm a known circumstance or to establish further probable cause during an investigation period. I'll admit I'm not very well versed in the Casey Anthony case. Was the chloroform stuff uncovered before or after Caylee was found (credibility of said evidence notwithstanding..) ? Like a website about disposing bodies in the ocean being used as reason to move the search there or that website being used to prove culpability after having already discovered the body in water.

I can see them hoping this new computer evidence will help determine where the rest of (sorry) LG is. It just seems to come so late in the game, whereas the (inadmissible?) flashdrive child *advertiser censored* was revealed very early on, meaning they were definitely already searching those venues... just curious about the order of suspicion/discovery and probably wording it in a way that makes no sense, haha.

just rambling in response, but in todays world, computer evidence would probably be highly sought after, since people do most everything in their life on the computer as much or more than in person

not sure the sequence of events in anthony case but found car then body, mom tipped off about the car "smells like there's been a dead body in the damn car", things escalated from there I think

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
myauris11
Back