GUILTY GA - Lauren Giddings, 27, Macon, 26 June 2011 # 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been tied up at work all night long. I was hoping to hear a break in the case today. I haven't fully reviewed everything we know to be true (not the stories we are hearing) about SM, but as a mental health assessor, my job is to every single day, or night with my schedule, determine whether a person is at risk of harming themselves or others. If I feel there is a risk, I am duty bound to have this person mandated into treatment. I have had to do that a few times tonight already. However, the facts I have heard about SM would not lead me to determine he was a danger. I guess that is where I am coming from.

He may be, but thus far, I have not seen the evidence to back it up. Only people deciding what he must have been thinking or how he must have covered it up. I know that is what we do here, but I just feel we are missing pieces of the puzzle. BIG pieces. And those pieces may reveal a totally different picture.

I am torn about the who's and the what's of how this crime took place. Like I said earlier, I would love for it to be him. It makes my life simpler. I don't have to worry daily about my own child down there. Well, no more than I would anyway. However, if it isn't him, I would like to know if she were targeted for some other reason. Could it have been a message to someone else. A warning or a completion of a threat? Or could she have crossed paths with someone in her job? I know I cross paths with some people with real sicknesses that would make your skin crawl. I'm sure she did, too. Or maybe a random killer liked her looks and sought out her body type and coloring.

I don't know who did this. I have too many possibilities running through my head. And they lead in too many different directions at this time. Some towards SM, some not.

I am more inclined to think that this statement means that the visible signs of decomp wern't matching up with the 4 day window---and that led to the fridges being searched and 1 of them seized. I heard it rumored that the torso when found was pretty fresh.

Welcome, Currcat! I must agree with you on that. I'm not sure where Smooth found that quote, but it was pretty alarming to think about at first. Yes, it seems the perp preserved the body, which also accounts for no stench being noticed until the torso was set outside, presumably with the garbage. If it had been preserved in such a way, I wonder how long it would've had to set out before the odor became noticeable?

I live in Macon and went to undergrad at Mercer and I found this forum while looking up more info on the case. Being in this community where the rumor mill is getting crazier by the day, I must say that the honest and intelligent perspective on here is much needed, at least for me.

I have tried to read through everything posted in both threads and here are my thoughts. As a woman, I hope McDaniel is the murderer bc I feel safe knowing he is behind bars. However, I can't assume his guilt and must consider him innocent for now. That master key looks bad for him. The news in the last day (interview by macon.com, comment from classmate on macon.com article referenced earlier) has been interesting bc so little is known about him. I don't think he was the complete loner people have been assuming he was.

It really is all about that critical evidence and everyone is waiting and waiting for answers. I fear the lack of answers is because the evidence did not lead them where they wanted it to.

Wow Indy Anna, very thought provoking indeed. I have had all the same thoughts and still undeceided as to what to think. Many possibilites and little solid evidence at this point to go on; other than our speculations.

I must say when I first learned of the dismemberment aspect of the crime, prior to confirmation that it was in fact Lauren, my initial thought went more to the perp coming from the medical side of Mercer rather than the Law School.

Many questions indeed!

I live in Macon and have recently heard that there is a doctor that lives in Barristers Hall. He is an older doctor, who decided to switch careers and go to law school. As the weeks go on with no solid answers with the evidence, that leaves the door open for alot of "what if's." (I too had considered the medical aspect - I guess that is something only the investigators would know as to how the body was dismembered)

:detective: CSI 101: Why Revealing Critical Information About a Crime Scene can Botch an Investigation

Is This Suspect Viable?
An obvious consideration is whether or not Mr. Smith provided any exclusive knowledge, i.e. knowledge not available from any other source, such as the media. If everything he relayed was available from public source information, then the significance is questionable (as it was in a number of other confessions to this crime that proved to be false). If, however, he relayed information known only to the killer or investigators, then obviously his revelations are of considerable importance.
The Black Dahlia Profiled, Gregg McCrary
If you wondered why a couple of posts have disappeared, now you know. We're all anxious to know what happened and to see the mystery resolved, but let's be very careful not to say anything that might in the slightest way prevent a speedy and just resolution.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To our newest members --

:welcome5:

We're glad you've joined us.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Several things on my mind...

First of all, thank you Angelanalyzes for your insightful comments and photos.
Post #190 and #184 were especially informative.
The photo of Barristers Hall at night was worth more than a thousand words: http://angelanalyzes.tumblr.com/

Another link you all may want to check out is the COMMENTS at the bottom of this article…. I have been reading most all of the comments and find some interesting posts by one particular poster who seems to have insider information:

http://www.macon.com/2011/07/14/163...ed-from-apartment.html#storylink=omni_popular

About the BarBri classes:
FWIW, In regard to the above quote, I have spoken with some folks at the law school who confirmed that SM was attending the BarBri prep class leading up to the discovery of the victim's body. These classes generally run on weekday mornings for about 3-4 hours and are delivered either as a live or video-taped lecture on a specific bar exam topic. The classes are not typically held on the weekends, but this schedule varies from state to state.

If evidence eventually proves that McD actually committed this crime (with the body stored in a frig back at the apartments) and proceeded to sit through prep classes for the bar, then McD is even far more disturbed than I thought.

The following comment makes me wonder what “a long time” means.
My theory was that the murder happened on Saturday night, June 25. Does the comment below mean she could have been killed at a later date, say sometime between June 25 (Sat) and June 28 (Tues)? Her friends came looking for her on Wed, June 29, evening.

Or is four days considered “not a long time” ?

“Based on the level of decomposition of the remains, Jones said it didn’t appear as though Giddings had been dead for a long time.”

Read more: http://www.macon.com/2011/07/15/1632018/mom-asked-mcdaniel-if-relationship.html#ixzz1S9u199yv

In this same article, I find this statement insightful:

“During law school, Giddings was president of Mercer’s chapter of The Federalist Society. Stephen McDaniel was vice president, his mother said.
On one occasion, Giddings was unable to attend a Federalist Society meeting in Washington, D.C., and she asked McDaniel to go in her place.”

If this is true, then it indicates to me that Lauren and McD were more acquainted than I had previously believed. I was under the impression that theirs was a “Hi and Bye” acquaintance, but if they were both officers in the Federalist Society then they had to have worked together.

It also makes me curious as to why McD’s mom would make this statement:

“Glenda McDaniel said she even asked her son once whether romance was possible between him and Giddings or any other woman.”

The fact that she specifically mentioned Lauren’s name makes me think that McD had talked about Lauren to his mom or shown some particular interest in her that his mom noticed. I am interested to hear what you all think of her comment.

About timely opportunity:
Also, with students all over the complex moving out during this time, it wouldn't be unusual to see people carrying large garbage bags out to the trash cans or even to their cars. I doubt it would attract much attention.

I agree with this point and find that this particular time of school year, i.e. students moving and relocating, gave extended opportunity for the perp to carry out covert activities at the Barristers Apts.

In the meantime- praying for Lauren’s family and friends.
No one can imagine the devastating pain her mom and dad are going through.

“Based on the level of decomposition of the remains, Jones said it didn’t appear as though Giddings had been dead for a long time.”

I think LE is beginning to leak information to the public a little at a time (statement from the coroner quoted above from news article) so the facts don't come out as a complete horrific shock (any more than they already have since Lauren was found). I'm concerned that we may learn that she wasn't killed right away. Surely the coroner wouldn't have made this comment about not being dead for a "long time" knowing that the outside window was only 4 days. To me, it means more than that. In my opinion, it possibly suggests that "not a long time" would be relative to the total time period in which she was missing. I hope for Lauren's sake and the sake of her family and loved ones that this isn't true.

Several things on my mind...

It also makes me curious as to why McD’s mom would make this statement:

“Glenda McDaniel said she even asked her son once whether romance was possible between him and Giddings or any other woman.”

The fact that she specifically mentioned Lauren’s name makes me think that McD had talked about Lauren to his mom or shown some particular interest in her that his mom noticed. I am interested to hear what you all think of her comment.

I would imagine that his mom may have met Lauren at some point while she and McD were neighbors. Lauren was such a pretty and friendly girl, I don't think it would be unusual for a mom to say to her son "She's such a pretty and nice girl, wouldn't you be interested in going out with her (or someone at least)?" According to him, he didn't have time. Apparently video games were more his thing than dating or hanging out with friends.

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/local/article/135641/175/Owners-at-Giddings-Complex-Beefing-Up-Security

Interesting that his attorney claims he is not guilty of murder OR burglary. Really??? Why in the world would he lump those two claims into one sentence when the world already knows McD admitted to the burglaries. Hasn't he even investigated the statements his client made to the police before his arrest? Or maybe he has and depending on the circumstances surrounding the questioning, he thinks he could get McD's statements supressed. Just seems like a really bold move to make that claim given what we already know.

Any of the local attorneys have any knowledge of Buford's reputation as a criminal defense lawyer?

http://www.13wmaz.com/news/local/article/135641/175/Owners-at-Giddings-Complex-Beefing-Up-Security

Interesting that his attorney claims he is not guilty of murder OR burglary. Really??? Why in the world would he lump those two claims into one sentence when the world already knows McD admitted to the burglaries. Hasn't he even investigated the statements his client made to the police before his arrest? Or maybe he has and depending on the circumstances surrounding the questioning, he thinks he could get McD's statements supressed. Just seems like a really bold move to make that claim given what we already know.

Any of the local attorneys have any knowledge of Buford's reputation as a criminal defense lawyer?

How do you know exactly what admissions SD has made? Do you have a link?

For a burglary, you've got to have the intent to commit some sort of crime when you enter. Maybe SD admitted that he went in innocently and decided to help himself to the condoms after he entered, and the police just don't believe him.

I am very much questioning what the possibilities are for what exactly this statement indicative of.. I mean, I think we all fully realize and are aware that the body at the absolute maximum length of time on one end of the spectrum would be that the body could have been deceased at most 4days(with last known for certain alive and on video at zaxby's at 6:30 on Sat. June 25 and discovery of torso morning hours of Thursday June 30)..

So, there would be no mistaking or error in thinking the body could have been deceased a week or more.. NOT A POSSIBILITY IN THIS CASE.. At most we know for absolute certain the body could not have been deceased, therefor in the process of decomposing, at most 4days AND NOT ANY AMOUNT OF TIME OR DAYS ANY LONGER THAN 4days..

Sorry for being so detailed and repetitive, but trying to show there is no long period of time that we are dealing with and that even if killed immediately, or soon thereafter her last being seen on video, Sat. June 25@6:30pm.. Still the body would only be 4 days at the most in the process of decomposing..

Thus why I am a bit confused by the statement made and quoted ^above^ by investigators.. And am weighing the actual options of each end of the spectrum as far as time of death.. Stage of decomp.. And given the tight spectrum with max being 4 days I am inclined to look at this statement as possibly being indicative that Lauren was NOT KILLED RIGHT AWAY... possibly indicative that the stage of decomp that her torso was in when found on Thursday morning was indicative of a time of death not as long as 4 days prior but a time at some point thereafter..

It is a very uncomfortable thought when thinking of this as a possibility(and I believe it is a given as to why that is) and my prayer is that the statement actually be indicative of nothing more than 4days into decomposition.. And it remarked on strictly because 4 days is not that long of a period of time and relatively still early when speaking in stages of decomp..

Hope I explained that clearly enough to understand.. Some days the path between my brain to my little fingers that attempt to relay the info coherently onto a computer screen.. Somedays it's a little garbled..lol..

Anyone else notice this statement or have any thoughts either way on it possibly indicating Lauren was not killed right away??

Thanks for this thought-provoking post! I was wondering what exactly that statement was based upon. Was it the stage of decomposition? An alternative explanation could be that the remains were stored somewhere cooler, thus attenuating the process. Another thought I had was that maybe there were injuries which were partially healed, thus indicating that she had had some time to recover before death stopped the body's healing itself. Hmmm ok trying to think of some examples, not coming up with any specifics at the moment (ugh I learned all about this, especially re: head/neck trauma, my 1st & 2nd year in grad school...but like they say, if you don't use it, you lose it!!!). But in general, I think we know, or it is common knowledge that, injuries - scrapes, fractures etc - don't heal instantaneously, and the formation of scabs, bruises, and such can be used to indicate how long it's been since the injury was inflicted. I guess it would help to know exactly what body parts have been recovered. Not to be indelicate, but the head is still missing, yes? If not, I will run to my office (it's in a separate building so just a short walk) and reference my chart about hematomas and whatnot. (Aaagh, I can picture the darn thing but I can't remember it!!! :banghead:)

How do you know exactly what admissions SD has made? Do you have a link?

For a burglary, you've got to have the intent to commit some sort of crime when you enter. Maybe SD admitted that he went in innocently and decided to help himself to the condoms after he entered, and the police just don't believe him.

I can't access a link right now (I'm on my phone) but its in all the news reports that he admitted going into other apartments and taking small items (which we now know were condoms). I'm sure there's a link in some previous posts.

As for having the intent to commit a crime therein, I don't think the argument that he only formulated the intent to commit a crime (stealing) AFTER he got inside is going to fly. Otherwise, burglars could just go into a house, have a look around, and if they don't find anything they want then leave and there's no harm done, right? Naaaaaa. The law doesn't work like that.

Thanks to Thin Man-(below copied from his post) and I think this will add to the commentary about what a burglary is from today:

SMD did not succeed in avoiding burglary charges, even if the police believed his open door statement (unlikely), because the law in Georgia does not require a physical breaking in or fraudulent entry (as with a stolen passkey?), but is satisfied by any entry without permission. See Ga statute below from
Burglary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Burglary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
--

Georgia
A person commits the offense of burglary when, without authority and with the intent to commit a felony or theft therein, he enters or remains within the dwelling house of another or any building, vehicle, railroad car, watercraft, or other such structure designed for use as the dwelling of another or enters or remains within any other building, railroad car, aircraft, or any room or any part thereof. A person convicted of the offense of burglary, for the first such offense, shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than 20 years. For the purposes of this Code section, the term "railroad car" shall also include trailers on flatcars, containers on flatcars, trailers on railroad property, or containers on railroad property. O.C.G.A. § 16-7-1

I live in Macon and went to undergrad at Mercer and I found this forum while looking up more info on the case. Being in this community where the rumor mill is getting crazier by the day, I must say that the honest and intelligent perspective on here is much needed, at least for me.

I have tried to read through everything posted in both threads and here are my thoughts. As a woman, I hope McDaniel is the murderer bc I feel safe knowing he is behind bars. However, I can't assume his guilt and must consider him innocent for now. That master key looks bad for him. The news in the last day (interview by macon.com, comment from classmate on macon.com article referenced earlier) has been interesting bc so little is known about him. I don't think he was the complete loner people have been assuming he was.

It really is all about that critical evidence and everyone is waiting and waiting for answers. I fear the lack of answers is because the evidence did not lead them where they wanted it to.

Welcome SouthernKate! A lot of us are locals here, and I know you know how hard it is to live in what can only be called a "chatty" town amidst all of the rumors. I really appreciate your post, and those of everyone who has been measured and balanced in their assessments of the case. It seems like it is really easy to go off the proverbial deep end when searching for answers, and although I know I only speak for myself, I'm glad when I see sleuths sticking strictly to evidence and logic.

To me, one of the problems we have is that there is a lot of evidence BUT we don't know to whom to attribute it AND we don't know precisely what it is. Obviously, that's for a reason (LE has their hands full) but it also presents a conundrum because we're all dying to know what LE has and how to assign blame for this horrendous crime.

Absent more details from the media via LE or a public, disclosed report from the FBI we're no further than we have been for days, which is to say, somewhat in the dark. In the mean time, the best I can do is pray for Lauren's family and for the McDaniels as well. Everyone is suffering.:twocents:

snipped to address question

That's exactly what I've been wondering, Colonel. I pulled his website which (to me) seems a little cheesy and glossy. Also, he has like a zillion stated practice areas which (to me) makes him seem like he's the kind of attorney who takes what he can get casewise. Now, I don't know if that's true, but the website gives that impression, IMHO. I don't know who even compares in reputation in this town to the late, great Ms. Buafo, but I'd be damn sure if I were being brought up on criminal charges that I'd find someone top-flight STAT. I'm pretty familiar with Macon bar members, but don't know much about the criminal pool. I hope someone can shed some light...

I can't access a link right now (I'm on my phone) but its in all the news reports that he admitted going into other apartments and taking small items (which we now know were condoms). I'm sure there's a link in some previous posts.

As for having the intent to commit a crime therein, I don't think the argument that he only formulated the intent to commit a crime (stealing) AFTER he got inside is going to fly. Otherwise, burglars could just go into a house, have a look around, and if they don't find anything they want then leave and there's no harm done, right? Naaaaaa. The law doesn't work like that.

I'll qualify this by saying that I don't practice criminal law in the state of Georgia, but in general, burglary is a specific intent crime. That means that the government has to prove that you broke in with the intent in your mind to commit a felony or a theft. If you broke in only to use the toilet, there is no burglary... even if you saw a diamond necklace or a condom on the dresser and decided to pick it up on the way out.

The law most certainly does work like that.

I did not see where SD admitted to burglary. Looking forward to your link.

*Regarding LE's comment that the remains didn't suggest she had been dead for a long time, that would be consistent with the idea that she was refrigerated. I have a hard time believing he could have kept her alive for a long time in the apartments without anyone hearing anything, for days. But if he did that adds a whole new layer to the horror of this crime.

Thank you angelanalyzes for this info. This crime is horrific enough without the insertion of "held and tortured." I, too, thought it would be too dangerous for the perp to hold her in those apartments due to noise or any other complication that could pop up.
Is your theory that she was killed that Sat night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74