GA - Meredith Emerson, 24, Blood Mountain, 4 January 2008

Is the below quote the last sighting of them?

The man was accompanied by a dog, a "dark reddish-colored retriever," who answered to the name Danny, she said. She said at one point, Emerson and the man both let their dogs run free, then followed the two dogs as they ran up the mountain.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/01/03/missing.hiker/index.html

Maps from Google Earth - you can see that this is out in the middle of nowhere. The visitors center must be the roof to the right of the parking area. Blood Mountain Trail seems to split off the main Appy Trail.

Edited to Add: These pics are obviously from the summer. In winter, there would be much less leaf cover, even though I'm sure some of those are pine and cedar trees. Mostly they would be deciduous and would just be bare branches in winter.

AppalachianTrail-MeredithEmerson-1.jpg

AppalachianTrail-MeredithEmersonMap.jpg

I didn't see this before. I just added Meredith to the Missing forum. Meredith is the best friend of a poster I know on another board. As you can imagine, she is frantic with worry.

Is the below quote the last sighting of them?

The man was accompanied by a dog, a "dark reddish-colored retriever," who answered to the name Danny, she said. She said at one point, Emerson and the man both let their dogs run free, then followed the two dogs as they ran up the mountain.

Now this article says her mittens and sunglasses (not confirmed by police) were found near the baton and water bottle and leash.

I didn't see this before. I just added Meredith to the Missing forum. Meredith is the best friend of a poster I know on another board. As you can imagine, she is frantic with worry.

Great, thanks KrisNine!Why don't you invite your friend to join us at WS? I'm sorry she has to deal with the limbo of not knowing what happened to her friend! If it were me, I would want to be brainstorming for ideas of how to find the Danny-dog guy.

If the dentally-challenged-doggie-fellow frequents that area, people in supply stores or diners must remember him. Maybe someone who lives in the area could call around and ask?

Great, thanks KrisNine!Why don't you invite your friend to join us at WS? I'm sorry she has to deal with the limbo of not knowing what happened to her friend! If it were me, I would want to be brainstorming for ideas of how to find the Danny-dog guy.

I invited her to come over :) Her husband has been searching yesterday and today.

She said Meredith is very sweet and friendly. She would probably chat with someone who has a dog, since her own dog is very outgoing.

Im home today if anyone wants me to call around to places down there. Not familiar w/ the area by anymeans, but if someone can give me some direction, I'm more than happy to do whatever I can to help. I know someone (sorry can't recall who atm) talked about calling diners etc. Should I call the animal shelters down in the area? Local vets? Diners? Local mom and pop stores?

The former officer said he continued up the hill. He said that when he came back down the hill he found some of Meredith's belongings including a leash, two water bottles and some dog treats. Also, next to those items, were a police baton and some men's sunglasses. He turned those items into a local shop owner.

REporting on Alive 11 Atlanta

Last Modified: 1/3/2008 9:54:53 AMAccording to her roommate, a former police officer hiking on the trail on Tuesday said he recalled seeing her and her dog and that he also noticed a man on the trail that gave him an uneasy feeling. That man was carrying a police baton.The former officer said he continued up the hill. He said that when he came back down the hill he found some of Meredith's belongings including a leash, two water bottles and some dog treats. Also, next to those items, were a police baton and some men's sunglasses. He turned those items into a local shop owner.All of that information is being checked into and the former officer returned to the scene Thursday morning to help pinpoint the area where he saw the suspicious man.

Ella is trained and microchipped. If she ends up in a shelter, she will be traced back to Meredith.

Im home today if anyone wants me to call around to places down there. Not familiar w/ the area by anymeans, but if someone can give me some direction, I'm more than happy to do whatever I can to help. I know someone (sorry can't recall who atm) talked about calling diners etc. Should I call the animal shelters down in the area? Local vets? Diners? Local mom and pop stores?

If you input the name of the trail into Google maps, it will pull up the location, then at the top click on find businesses on map, and input, restaurants, or whatever type of business you are looking for. It should pull up the names, addresses and phone numbers. I think that's how to do all that anyways.

From the 11alive article linked previously:Last Modified: 1/3/2008 9:54:53 AMAccording to her roommate, a former police officer hiking on the trail on Tuesday said he recalled seeing her and her dog and that he also noticed a man on the trail that gave him an uneasy feeling. That man was carrying a police baton.The former officer said he continued up the hill. He said that when he came back down the hill he found some of Meredith's belongings including a leash, two water bottles and some dog treats. Also, next to those items, were a police baton and some men's sunglasses. He turned those items into a local shop owner.All of that information is being checked into and the former officer returned to the scene Thursday morning to help pinpoint the area where he saw the suspicious man. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------We need this man's name and where he used to police.

In all the media reports that have come out, has an exact location been disclosed of where items were found? And where exactly Emerson and this guy were when they were talking and proceeded to follow the dogs up the mountain?

I have hiked portions of the Appalachian Trail around NC and TN - pretty rugged - although not this particular section, but most of the southern portion of the AT is fairly rugged, not unheard of to have an unlicensed dog, let your dog off a leash, and not unheard of to meet some strange bedfellows along the way. The AT has day hikers, week hikers, and through hikers. There probably are also those who just hike to who-knows-where.

The AT is not today what it once was. While my husband and I did not carry a weapon, there are those who do, albeit illegally a gun. Knives are common, although a sheath knife - seems the "suspect" had one - would IMO be overdone. Although I don't know that my husband and I were afraid, we felt a bit uneasy sharing park-constructed lean-to's with other campers. (There are not always tent camping places.)

It seems this woman was prepared, knew what she was doing. I'm guessing she did not fall prey to nature but to a two-legged culprit.

People don't hike the Appalachian Trail with dogs, do they? One of the articles (http://www.myfoxaustin.com/myfox/pa...n=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.3.1) described the male hiker's backpack as "very large". To me, that sounds like it may have been the type of backpack that an AT hiker may use. I've never heard of an AT hiker with a dog, but that doesn't mean people don't do it.

Again, I haven't hiked like this - what's the difference between a "regular" hikder backpack and an AT (I'm guessing that is for Appy Trail right?) backpack?

Since media reports stated that she was prepared for this hike. Is it safe to assume she too would have a backpack on her person?

According to the below linked article, Dandy guy was possibly driving a 2000/2001 white minivan, poss Ga. plates.

(snip)
Police have confirmed that a water bottle and a leash found in the area belonged to Emerson, Verdone said.

Emerson's roommate, Julia Karrenbauer, told CNN on Thursday that Emerson's sunglasses and mittens were found in the area, as was a baton.

Police are not confirming the roomates information.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ateav