GA - Meredith Emerson, 24, Blood Mountain, 4 January 2008

Theres a movie called Wolf Creek about 2 girls and 1 guy who go hiking in the mountains but they end up having car trouble when they reach the mountains and this creepy old guy comes and says he can offer them help & that has lots car parts back at his cabin so they go with him and he ends up tying them all up and torturing them for days and in the end he kills the 2 girls and the guy escapes but then the guy gets charged for their murders because nobody believes his story about the creepy man! Its actually based on a true story.

Its weird how its a little similar in some aspects of it.

I hope she is found soon!!

Never seen the movie, just googled it.
Scary..........:eek:

http://www.outback-australia-travel-secrets.com/wolf_creek_true_story.html

Thanks for bringing that up, KC. Sometimes, facts are stranger than fiction. If this is a true story, who knows?!

I try not to watch horror movies. Then again, I recently have taken to watching true crime stories which involve much more horror than movies could ever offer. Go figure. I watch them to find out what the police do and how they use forensics to prove them. I also watch to see where they could improve on solving them. OMG! I have become a sleuth. LOL

Ivan Milat is who I was thinking of.

Back to the case: Was this man ever married? Does he have children? It was said he tried to have a "siding business", was this ever checked out? Did he ever serve in the war? What do we know about him personally?

Again, in order to find out what is going on with this guy...we need to find out vital info on him. He lives off the grid now, but I have a feeling he was very much involved in life early on. Who and where are those people?

Yes, the Wolf Creek here is in Australia. The Wolf Creek we are talking about is on the line between NC and GA. Still scary, but doesn't have a lot to do with this case, imo. Hilton doesn't appear to me to be a huge movie buff.

oh i know, i just thought some of it was a little weird & similar.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/01/07/georgia.hiker/index.html

The body of a young woman missing since New Year's Day has been found, and the man charged with her disappearance led investigators to her body Monday evening, officials said.

Gary Michael Hilton told authorities where to find the body of 24-year-old Meredith Emerson, the University of Georgia alumna who went missing New Year's Day while hiking in the north Georgia mountains, said John Cagle of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

more at link

Prayers to her family and friends.
Thankfully the pondscum who did this to her is locked up.

She was such a pretty girl with a bright future ahead of her. Such a sad situation. I'm glad that the pervert told LE where she was for the sake of her family. Just so sad that it turned out this way.

This pervert must just hang out in the woods waiting for women to come by alone and then he acts friendly until they feel comfortable. I think he murdered the Bryants. It must have to do with money as he went right to the ATM machines after both murders and tried to use the cards. Meredith must have given him the wrong pin number as he couldn't get her card to work...good for her.

It bothers me that they found her tops in the trash. That means that he made her take them off or he took them off after he murdered her. Either way it makes me sick because he is such a gross icky looking person. To think that his was the last face that she ever saw makes me want to throw up. Now he should tell LE where John Bryant is. I'm so glad this creep is behind bars and won't be able to harm anyone else.

Bobbysangel: I was having a similar thought about what must have been going through this poor girl's mind in her last hours. She must have been terrified, and I'm sure he subdued her in some violent way. What a sick man - ugh.

I just wrote on the other thread that it's giving me the creeps, because I live just north of where all this is happening. It makes me wonder if this guy has ever driven through my own community! Also, down in Dawson and Forsyth Counties, my husband always makes jokes about the movie "Deliverance," where the men are attacked out in the wilderness. I always dismiss that as a stereotype and just laugh at him, but believe me - I will never laugh at that again.

People should be careful all the time, but especially in the non-tourist season in late fall and winter. Don't hike alone in a remote area, and don't stop at those scenic overlooks when the place is deserted. There is one of those overlooks two counties over from where we live, near the Ocoee River. Once years ago, my husband wanted to see the view and we stopped there with the kids. But we were the only people there that day - far from any buildings, on a mountaintop, no park rangers around, in the middle of Cherokee National Forest. So while we were there, a truck came slowly around the parking lot with two men in it, and I got scared all of a sudden, grabbed the kids and told my husband we were getting out of there. It still gives me chills. I think thieves look for hiker's cars so they can break in, but after reading these stories about missing people out in the wilderness, it's terrifying to think what else could happen and literally no one could hear your cry for help.

Bobbysangel:
I just wrote on the other thread that it's giving me the creeps, because I live just north of where all this is happening. It makes me wonder if this guy has ever driven through my own community! Also, down in Dawson and Forsyth Counties, my husband always makes jokes about the movie "Deliverance," where the men are attacked out in the wilderness. I always dismiss that as a stereotype and just laugh at him, but believe me - I will never laugh at that again.

OT: Part of "Deliverance" was actually filmed in the NEGA mountains--Rabun County. There is a beautiful gorge there that is hikable; my husband & I hiked it often as college students.

Bobbysangel: I was having a similar thought about what must have been going through this poor girl's mind in her last hours. She must have been terrified, and I'm sure he subdued her in some violent way. What a sick man - ugh.

People should be careful all the time, but especially in the non-tourist season in late fall and winter. Don't hike alone in a remote area, and don't stop at those scenic overlooks when the place is deserted. There is one of those overlooks two counties over from where we live, near the Ocoee River. Once years ago, my husband wanted to see the view and we stopped there with the kids. But we were the only people there that day - far from any buildings, on a mountaintop, no park rangers around, in the middle of Cherokee National Forest. So while we were there, a truck came slowly around the parking lot with two men in it, and I got scared all of a sudden, grabbed the kids and told my husband we were getting out of there. It still gives me chills. I think thieves look for hiker's cars so they can break in, but after reading these stories about missing people out in the wilderness, it's terrifying to think what else could happen and literally no one could hear your cry for help.

My husband and I spent a few days after Christmas in a cabin up in the mountains where Meredith was found. He took our gun, which at the time I thought was kind of silly. I will not ever think it is silly again. We will always take it when we stay in remote places like that again. RIP Meredith.

This is all so awful. I keep thinking of little Ella. I'm sure she witnessed what happened to her mistress. I wonder if the brought Ella back down with him afterwards or if she truly did just wander back down to town? I'm so glad Ella wasn't harmed, too.

Poor Meredith. God rest her and may this scum receive justice...if he had anything to do with the Bryants' murders, please let that be uncovered. God be with the Emerson family.

This is very sad. I'm glad they found her though. I can't imagine the horror this poor girl felt, knowing tht this man, who she befriended on a trail, let her dog play with his, and then, he turns on her and kills her. I'm sure he's responsible for other deaths....

I just don't think I could ever go hiking alone again. This is just awful. I'm glad her dog was found safe too. Poor thing, she probably trusted this creep because her mommy did and then she probably didn't know what was going on. This girl had such a bright future ahead of her.....my prayers go out to her family.

... There is one of those overlooks two counties over from where we live, near the Ocoee River. Once years ago, my husband wanted to see the view and we stopped there with the kids. But we were the only people there that day - far from any buildings, on a mountaintop, no park rangers around, in the middle of Cherokee National Forest. So while we were there, a truck came slowly around the parking lot with two men in it, and I got scared all of a sudden, grabbed the kids and told my husband we were getting out of there. It still gives me chills. I think thieves look for hiker's cars so they can break in, but after reading these stories about missing people out in the wilderness, it's terrifying to think what else could happen and literally no one could hear your cry for help.

My daughter and I do ALOT of hiking alone. It's interesting to me that you were worried about the guys in trucks. When I see something like that, I automatically assume it's the guys who maintain the trails. They've never gotten out of their vehicles around me, anyway.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back