Still Missing GA - Sabrina Long, 19, Macon, 14 Aug 1991 *Arrest in 2018*

Sounds like things are in motion in terms of possible recovery. Hopefully the source has provided truthful intel on this as her family has suffered long enough. Curious who the source is as one of the perps KL is dead and I doubt MM is talking. I wish the GBI would get involved in this one.

• sabrina_leigh_long_2.jpg
  • sabrina_leigh_long_3.jpg
  • sabrina_leigh_long_4.jpg
  • sabrina_leigh_long_5.jpg
  • long_sabrina7.jpg

Years went by after Aug. 14, 1991 before the Georgia Bureau of Investigation arrested a friend of Long's.

That friend, Melinda McSwain, was eventually indicted, charged with Kidnapping, Malice Murder and Felony Murder "in a manner unknown to the Grand Jury," her indictment read.

Now, Macon District Attorney Anita Howard says they can't prosecute her. That's because the case is on the 'dead docket,' meaning it may not ever make it to court.

In 1996, five years after Long's disappearance, her mother, Sue Corley, spoke with 13WMAZ.

"Mamas feel. And in my heart, I don't think she's alive," she said at the time

"The not knowing will drive you nuts. It'll eat at you every day," Corley said.

*DA Statement:
"Sabrina Long disappeared from outside her residence in the early morning hours of August 14, 1991. Over the years this case was investigated by the Macon Police Department and later by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. One suspect in the case, Keith Loyd, committed suicide in 2017. Melinda McSwain came up in the investigation as a contemporary of Loyd. McSwain gave a number of statements to law enforcement about her alleged involvement in Long’s death, none of which, as yet, have been corroborated. After admitting that many of her statements given to law enforcement were completely false, McSwain claimed that only she and Loyd (then deceased) were involved with Long’s death and that Long’s body had been placed in a well close to a small cemetery and a church.

An abandoned well was located near Long’s residence and close to a cemetery. The well was excavated, but no human remains were produced. It was thought, perhaps, the digging did not go far enough down. When McSwain was arrested the only evidence against her was her own uncorroborated statement. O.C.G.A. § 24-8-823, states, “a confession alone, uncorroborated by any other evidence, shall not justify a conviction.”

At the time this case was placed on the dead docket in January 2023, this Office had done a thorough review of the evidence and determined that a conviction could not be sustained based upon the information at hand. The victim’s family members were notified of the evidentiary deficiencies in regard to this case in January and February 2023.
As this murder investigation is still pending, we ask that anyone who has any information about this case to contact the District Attorney’s Office or the Georgia Bureau of Investigation."

Thats a very disappointing read. If only the GBI and local law enforcement had put 1/10th of the effort they did in the Tara Grinstead case this would be solved. They arrested the right suspect and its pretty shameful they were played by her. The trail starts with KL's bogus story. Other than MM walking back her confession, most of it is more than likely spot on. She is straight up looney tunes and previously was semi stalking the actor Robert Pattinson. If they search hard enough they should be able to arrest her on other charges and make recovery of SL's body any part of a plea deal.
I was hoping the well tip would solve the case and bring her family closure.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back