GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would seem that everyone living in the neighborhood would automatically take extra precautions, be alert, and talk to the children about stranger danger. With the houses not being close to one another, it just makes sense without LE having to tell them.

Personally, the Dermonds were who the perps were after and everyone else is safe. IMO

Just thinking. If the Dermond children did hire a PI, is it common courtesy to inform Sills?

In a small area as this, the grapevine is fast, and Sills will hear quickly about it. Is it better to let him know, so when the PI asks for tapes. and the report gets back to Sills, he doesn't jump to thoughts that this could be his perp, for example?

Now, how is Sills going to respond to the media on that report about someone seeking tapes? Being the Doubting Thomas that I am, could that story have been a plant to scare the perp?

This has been in the news prominently, and was on the news very quickly to alert the community IMHO. Is your issue that the police are stating that the Dermonds were targets vs. a serial killer is perhaps on the loose, and that they (FBI/local authorities) should state that is a possibility when they don't believe that to be true at this point?

He seems to NOT think it's a serial killer but does he really KNOW

Now talking about thinking outside the box, but then again, he has to follow the evidence

WHICH IS WHAT?

Just thinking. If the Dermond children did hire a PI, is it common courtesy to inform Sills?
In a small area as this, the grapevine is fast, and Sills will hear quickly about it. Is it better to let him know, so when the PI asks for tapes. and the report gets back to Sills, he doesn't jump to thoughts that this could be his perp, for example?

Now, how is Sills going to respond to the media on that report about someone seeking tapes? Being the Doubting Thomas that I am, could that story have been a plant to scare the perp?

What would the PI do ? He/she cannot interfere with the investigation or shouldn't anyway

Would the family have a lead we don't know about? That Sills doesn't know about?

Anyone?

It would seem that everyone living in the neighborhood would automatically take extra precautions, be alert, and talk to the children about stranger danger. With the houses not being close to one another, it just makes sense without LE having to tell them.

Personally, the Dermonds were who the perps were after and everyone else is safe. IMO

it seems that way to me too

going with my gut here

something about this case, jsut seems isolated, it wasn't on a trail, no one went missing, they weren't robbed (that we are aware)

I have a spot of something today too. I honestly think it is these cases. The mass killings and the Dermonds. Simply sickening and frustrating. jmo

NO it's that "fake player virus" that keeps popping up :floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

working us all over !!

Good afternoon - just finished reading and catching up for today. Very interesting tidbit about the Huddle House; seems (to me) that if it were LE doing routine search, it wouldn't have even been mentioned. Hope they have whoever was asking for the tape on the tape himself. I know I'm reaching, but wouldn't it be a miracle if that person (asking for the video) knows that's the only place he could have been seen within a 24 hour period, or something of that nature? That would be too good...someone giving themselves away. However, a mistake is sometimes all that it takes to get caught! I also go with the theory that "somebody knows something"...even if the killer(s) just bragged, as they so often do. Here's hoping today is the day!

I was thinking, the perp(s) were brazen enough to murder 2 people, leave them in 2 different places and take Mr. D's head. How crazy would it be for him to be brazen enough to enquire about tapes at the restaurant? If he thinks he's untouchable and un-catchable (I know that's not a word :blushing:).

Wishful thinking on my part. Probably, as already said upthread, a PI. I really thought there would have been an arrest already.

There hasn't been any updates about the Huddle House guy down there?

Thank you, Lake Oconee, for the heads up on the new Sills article.

It reaffirms my belief that Sills has known for quite some time who did this. IMO, he has been so incredibly thorough in this investigation, it goes beyond fact finding. While I think he knows the answer to many questions, such as to whether SD was placed in the lake and weighted down, Sills has taken it one step further- to fully investigate whether she actually could have floated there slowly over the two week period. And it's not because he believes it, it's because he's afraid a lawyer will try to refute his evidence in court later. It does not surprise me he was virtually 'raised' by a famed attorney. He dots all the i's and crosses all the t's as a sheriff and investigator. But he also then theorizes what a defense attorney would say later about his investigation. And the next day he goes out and works to refute anything that could potentially get the criminal off scott free.

Oh yes, I do believe our man knows who dun it. But he is going to make absolutely, positively sure he catches his fish: hook, line, and sinker!

I was thinking, the perp(s) were brazen enough to murder 2 people, leave them in 2 different places and take Mr. D's head. How crazy would it be for him to be brazen enough to enquire about tapes at the restaurant? If he thinks he's untouchable and un-catchable (I know that's not a word :blushing:).

Wishful thinking on my part. Probably, as already said upthread, a PI. I really thought there would have been an arrest already.

There hasn't been any updates about the Huddle House guy down there?

originally I thought that was what all the rave was about ! LOL

never thought of a PI, what if IT WAS the killer inquiring??!!

Thank you, Lake Oconee, for the heads up on the new Sills article.

It reaffirms my belief that Sills has known for quite some time who did this. IMO, he has been so incredibly thorough in this investigation, it goes beyond fact finding. While I think he knows the answer to many questions, such as to whether SD was placed in the lake and weighted down, Sills has taken it one step further- to fully investigate whether she actually could have floated there slowly over the two week period. And it's not because he believes it, it's because he's afraid a lawyer will try to refute his evidence in court later. It does not surprise me he was virtually 'raised' by a famed attorney. He dots all the i's and crosses all the t's as a sheriff and investigator. But he also then theorizes what a defense attorney would say later about his investigation. And the next day he goes out and works to refute anything that could potentially get the criminal off scott free.

Oh yes, I do believe our man knows who dun it. But he is going to make absolutely, positively sure he catches his fish: hook, line, and sinker!

Thank you for posting this! I've got to admit that I started worrying about whether this case will be solved with no arrest(s) yet. I too think Sheriff Sills knows who did this, and is closing off any legal escape routes for the killer(s), as well as building a solid case against whoever did this. I hope we hear of an arrest(s) soon!

Knowing enough about Sheriff Sills pronouncements from the beginning, I find my thoughts returning to what would make at least some sense in the case. After Mrs. Dermond's body was found and the sheriff declared that the corpse was fully clothed in ordinary day clothes with no sign of sexual assault and no "glaring" trauma, I discounted some of my original ideas about what may have happened.

But now I find myself again thinking that one reasonable explanation for the killer to have tried in vain to hide the corpse was the existence of direct evidence in the form of the killer's DNA. And it does seem rational for the sheriff to decide to withhold any statement regarding that possibility with the idea that the killer might relax and make a mistake.

Taking it one step further, if there is a suspect, and the only possibility of making a conviction stick is obtaining a DNA sample, then the suspect may be being watched/followed in order to somehow get a DNA sample.

Right... And it takes some time to get DNA results back, more time than the quickness of when the original autopsy results of Mrs. D's body were released to the press. I do hope DNA tests were sent off for analysis surely, right?

and yet it seems everyone is still thinking INSIDE the box??

Agreed. I think one problem is assuming this killer was known to the Dermonds and they opened their doors to him (or her, or both) because of recognition. That is a THEORY.

YES, and WHO? would leave such a statement, what kind of predator/perpetrator?

Thanks! Just pondering!

Sorry to be responding to so many threads in a row! I have to work all day and I am playing catch up.

I do think the person that would do something like this (given we rule out the Mafia or a cartel) is a sick individual and possibly a serial killer. Shivers.

are records kept of residents comings and goings via the gate/entry to the community? It ocurred to me this afternoon that maybe the mystery man asking about tape/video at Huddle House may be worried about footage that shows him having some sort of contact, conversation or conflict with the Dermonds.

Do we know if they went out and about on errands in the couple of days prior to when they were killed? Could the person looking for tapes at Huddle House be worried about being seen in their company?

Or is the mystery man simply a very enthusiastic motivated reporter - looking for a scoop?

Right... And it takes some time to get DNA results back, more time than the quickness of when the original autopsy results of Mrs. D's body were released to the press. I do hope DNA tests were sent off for analysis surely, right?

Yes, and at this point, do they have any leads? I mean they have direction but any leads?

Sills did say the questionnaire "has already helped" whatever that meant

that was in the article after the 200 some odd interviews of residents at RP and/or GW

Hope they have SOMETHING to go on if not now, hopefully when the forensics come in

Sills also stated that they had gathered alot of forensics from the home, and again, whatever that was

are records kept of residents comings and goings via the gate/entry to the community? It ocurred to me this afternoon that maybe the mystery man asking about tape/video at Huddle House may be worried about footage that shows him having some sort of contact, conversation or conflict with the Dermonds.

Do we know if they went out and about on errands in the couple of days prior to when they were killed? Could the person looking for tapes at Huddle House be worried about being seen in their company?

Or is the mystery man simply a very enthusiastic motivated reporter - looking for a scoop?

OMG, I hope not a reporter!! He'd be in a world of dung if he'd gotten his hands on that, think??

Who though would WANT that tape of HH?? I'm like you, could it have been the perp acting as a detective maybe and also, DID HH have a tape of that day and what did HH tell him?? Or did they just contact LE?

Great posts everyone! Thanks for the link about Sills. What if . . . somebody has a beef with Sills. Somebody maybe from the cult he broke up. Or maybe Sills ticked somebody off at GW. Somebody from GW went to Sills complaining about cars being broken into and people speeding within the community and Sills makes the comment about that's y'all's business, y'all handle it. You pay dues for security and your security should be doing their job. So this person has it in for Sills (and LE in general assuming) and since Sills thinks he so smart maybe he'll just give him a case that he can't solve and show him who is boss. So this perp picks a couple at random - well sort of at random - the Dermonds' location is prime as far as secluded within the community. He kills Mr. Dermond and knowing that without a head, identifying the body is going to take time. . . delay the investigation. . . which is going to drive Sills batty. Said perp kills Mrs. D and takes her body leaving the Sheriff to wonder if Mrs. D is still alive, or if Mrs. D could be the perp herself. Again this is wasting the Sheriff's precious time in locating Mrs. D. The house is immaculate, wiped clean. No fingerprints. No DNA. Nothing, nada. Means everybody in the area is a suspect - lot of people to question and have them fill out the questionaire. It's been several weeks. Perp decides it is time to taunt Sills a bit. Sends an innocent somebody into the Huddle House to ask for the surveillance tapes. This infuriates Sills. He still has no clue as to who did this and it won't be long before the perp chooses another victim/victims to kill and again flaunt his excellent predatory and deadly skills. He thinks he smarter than Sills, he thinks and he is quite enjoying this game of cat and mouse. The clock is ticking. . . tick. . . tock. .. tick. . . tock.

Okay that's my out of the box. How's that sound?

OMG, I hope not a reporter!! He'd be in a world of dung if he'd gotten his hands on that, think??

Who though would WANT that tape of HH?? I'm like you, could it have been the perp acting as a detective maybe and also, DID HH have a tape of that day and what did HH tell him?? Or did they just contact LE?

Oh my gosh!! Did they give him the tapes or do we know? ty

Great posts everyone! Thanks for the link about Sills. What if . . . somebody has a beef with Sills. Somebody maybe from the cult he broke up. Or maybe Sills ticked somebody off at GW. Somebody from GW went to Sills complaining about cars being broken into and people speeding within the community and Sills makes the comment about that's y'all's business, y'all handle it. You pay dues for security and your security should be doing their job. So this person has it in for Sills (and LE in general assuming) and since Sills thinks he so smart maybe he'll just give him a case that he can't solve and show him who is boss. So this perp picks a couple at random - well sort of at random - the Dermonds' location is prime as far as secluded within the community. He kills Mr. Dermond and knowing that without a head, identifying the body is going to take time. . . delay the investigation. . . which is going to drive Sills batty. Said perp kills Mrs. D and takes her body leaving the Sheriff to wonder if Mrs. D is still alive, or if Mrs. D could be the perp herself. Again this is wasting the Sheriff's precious time in locating Mrs. D. The house is immaculate, wiped clean. No fingerprints. No DNA. Nothing, nada. Means everybody in the area is a suspect - lot of people to question and have them fill out the questionaire. It's been several weeks. Perp decides it is time to taunt Sills a bit. Sends an innocent somebody into the Huddle House to ask for the surveillance tapes. This infuriates Sills. He still has no clue as to who did this and it won't be long before the perp chooses another victim/victims to kill and again flaunt his excellent predatory and deadly skills. He thinks he smarter than Sills, he thinks and he is quite enjoying this game of cat and mouse. The clock is ticking. . . tick. . . tock. .. tick. . . tock.

Okay that's my out of the box. How's that sound?

when is the book getting published?:floorlaugh:

That's pretty good stuff, BUT I think Backwoods said early on that it cuold be the Nuwabian connection, but the way you spelled it out, it makes sense to me

also interesting that the son said it could be a cult connection and they are getting weird phone calls, I'm gonna flip if that is what this is about, cause I kept thinking BUT WHY THE DERMONDS??

I guess it had to be SOMEBODY and also, the fact that the son said something about cult, maybe SILLS DOES KNOW something and he had mentinoed it to RD son

And that last part, OH BOY, what IF?!!

ARGH!! I hope they know and can tell soemthing sooooon!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlackBalled