GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foxfire, you are right - WHY doesn't the family insist on getting the GBI involved? I think you answered me one time, so sorry if I'm treading over old news, but can anybody go over SS' head to get this done? Would it help at all if we all went on the Putnam County SO's facebook page and wrote in requesting this. I just don't think he's going to find anything in the phone or financial records. I want him to go door to door at every house on or near that lake! So frustrating. I can't get over how the family is just living life as usual.

Foxfire, you are right - WHY doesn't the family insist on getting the GBI involved? I think you answered me one time, so sorry if I'm treading over old news, but can anybody go over SS' head to get this done? Would it help at all if we all went on the Putnam County SO's facebook page and wrote in requesting this. I just don't think he's going to find anything in the phone or financial records. I want him to go door to door at every house on or near that lake! So frustrating. I can't get over how the family is just living life as usual.

<BBM for Focus>

Although the Putnam County Sheriffs Department has a facebook page, it is not actively moderated -->

Putnam County Sheriff's Office, Eatonton, Georgia
https://www.facebook.com/pcsheriffga/info?tab=overview

Happyshoes, it is my understanding that the GA Governor; Nathan Deal can request the GBI's assistance in the investigation. Imo, this is where the family should focus their efforts...

<BBM for Focus>

Although the Putnam County Sheriffs Department has a facebook page, it is not actively moderated -->

Putnam County Sheriff's Office, Eatonton, Georgia
https://www.facebook.com/pcsheriffga/info?tab=overview

Happyshoes, it is my understanding that the GA Governor; Nathan Deal can request the GBI's assistance in the investigation. Imo, this is where the family should focus their efforts...

Thanks for that. It saddens me that no one is demanding answers. I wish someone in the RP community would get a petition going or have a town hall meeting or just anything that keeps this from going cold. And their family should be leading the charge! Do something people, get this back in the public's attention. If this involved young people, gangs, drugs, etc., it probably wouldn't bother me so much - but this is just so many shades of wrong.

It seems the family has been unusually quiet. Perhaps on the advice of an attorney?? I don't know the answer, but still believe SS is working round the clock with this case. Wish I knew the reason for not enlisting help from the GBI. Many questions and so frustrating. :twocents:

IMHO

I do not believe there is one iota of familial involvement. I should start with that. But can I just say that I am shocked that there has not been more public push by the family to see more in this case? When was the last update? From anyone, official or family?

Imo, the logical course of action would be for Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills, to request GBI Investigators to assist in the investigation. Their services are free, and unlike a private investigator, the GBI agents would be privy to all evidence and information gathered initially in the case and over the ten months since this heinous crime.. jmo

I agree. I was just thinking/speaking in terms of what the family could do. ('Just remembering the Mickey Shunick case and the PI was very beneficial in identifying the culprit)

I agree. I was just thinking/speaking in terms of what the family could do. ('Just remembering the Mickey Shunick case and the PI was very beneficial in identifying the culprit)

We really have no idea what the family has done, or tried to do. I don't think that we're in any position to judge them here, and given that I've seen no compelling evidence to treat them as persons of interest or suspects, (and I'm not addressing you here, just making a general statement) I think that the family bashing I've seen here is unfortunate. So far as we know, they've been contacting Sills every day. So far as we know, they've been contacting the local paper every day. But we do not know, and so what we've been reading here, in this thread, repeatedly, is a conversation based on assumptions.

We really have no idea what the family has done, or tried to do. I don't think that we're in any position to judge them here, and given that I've seen no compelling evidence to treat them as persons of interest or suspects, (and I'm not addressing you here, just making a general statement) I think that the family bashing I've seen here is unfortunate. So far as we know, they've been contacting Sills every day. So far as we know, they've been contacting the local paper every day. But we do not know, and so what we've been reading here, in this thread, repeatedly, is a conversation based on assumptions.

I agree with you, too. My original comment was that it was a good question to ask the family.

To further explain my opinion... since there have been no leads month after month, hiring a PI seems a logical course of action.

No arguments, no judgement... just a good question!

It may be fear alone that has silenced them. If there is no POI, no real idea of just what the heck has happened in this situation, I can completely under their silence. Who knows what they think happened, or what advice they have received from legal counsel or LE?

It may be fear alone that has silenced them. If there is no POI, no real idea of just what the heck has happened in this situation, I can completely under their silence. Who knows what they think happened, or what advice they have received from legal counsel or LE?

Isn't the daughter's husband a lawyer?

I do not believe there is one iota of familial involvement. I should start with that. But can I just say that I am shocked that there has not been more public push by the family to see more in this case? When was the last update? From anyone, official or family?

Exactly.

All I can say about this case is that the LACK of information at this point is positively deafening.

Am I the only one who thinks it's almost crazy, for as high profile a murder as this was, that not ONCE, has someone close to the Dermonds come out to speak?!? -not a family member, a colleague, a friend?!?

This family, by all accounts, was lovely and witty and active in their 80's. Imagine their energy when they were younger! And yet, not once has an old pal or neighbor come forward to say that "oh yes, I lived next door to them in Phoenix. Lovely family, who would do such a thing?!?" Or in Connecticut. Or in Sandy Springs.

Never to my knowledge did any of those places write a bit in their paper about the Dermond's connection to their town.

Never to my knowledge has ANYONE been publicly interviewed, even just an acquaintance of the couple, about the Dermonds.

The reward is ridiculously low for a wealthy couple who should have decades of friendships with other wealthy couples! (Putting aside the family contributing)

And why, with the mass amount of media and human interest surrounding this case has 48 Hours Mystery or some similar show not aired a comprehensive piece??

My mind lingers on several things...the missing or mangled finger of Russell, the lack of community ties, the comments about how surprised the neighbors would be when they find out how old the couple really was. And, of course, the gruesome manner in which their deaths were carried out.

All I can say about this case is that the LACK of information at this point is positively deafening.

Am I the only one who thinks it's almost crazy, for as high profile a murder as this was, that not ONCE, has someone close to the Dermonds come out to speak?!? -not a family member, a colleague, a friend?!?

This family, by all accounts, was lovely and witty and active in their 80's. Imagine their energy when they were younger! And yet, not once has an old pal or neighbor come forward to say that "oh yes, I lived next door to them in Phoenix. Lovely family, who would do such a thing?!?" Or in Connecticut. Or in Sandy Springs.

Never to my knowledge did any of those places write a bit in their paper about the Dermond's connection to their town.

Never to my knowledge has ANYONE been publicly interviewed, even just an acquaintance of the couple, about the Dermonds.

The reward is ridiculously low for a wealthy couple who should have decades of friendships with other wealthy couples! (Putting aside the family contributing)

And why, with the mass amount of media and human interest surrounding this case has 48 Hours Mystery or some similar show not aired a comprehensive piece??

My mind lingers on several things...the missing or mangled finger of Russell, the lack of community ties, the comments about how surprised the neighbors would be when they find out how old the couple really was. And, of course, the gruesome manner in which their deaths were carried out.

Here's 2 links that mention friends/associates of the Dermonds.

This link mentions that a couple were good friends with the Dermonds:

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/l...e-oconee-putnam-county-dermond-vigil/8957601/

A link that mentions... "Friends praying for Shirley Dermond."

http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/local/hancock/2014/05/09/shirley-dermond/8920725/

ETA:
Another link with article interviewing bridge club members:

http://www.macon.com/2014/05/17/3103064/motive-in-lake-oconee-killings.html

Call me "old-fashioned" but what I took away from the first article was the sentence "Notably absent from the service was the Dermond's grown children....."
Who does not stay for that? What can you possibly have going on in your life that you can't stay at the service for your beloved parents in this case? How many grandchildren are there and what are they doing? Where are the investigative reporters? Where are all the questions? This case is heinous! I would not be satisfied and I would be raising hell at someone's office. JMO

Here's 2 links that mention friends/associates of the Dermonds.

This link mentions that a couple were good friends with the Dermonds:

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/l...e-oconee-putnam-county-dermond-vigil/8957601/

A link that mentions... "Friends praying for Shirley Dermond."

http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/local/hancock/2014/05/09/shirley-dermond/8920725/

ETA:
Another link with article interviewing bridge club members:

http://www.macon.com/2014/05/17/3103064/motive-in-lake-oconee-killings.html

These people were their current neighbors and peers. If I'm not mistaken, they moved into this neighborhood just five years ago or so.

I'm referring to people that they knew for the other 75 years of their lives...

I think the Ds had lived at that address for since 1994, so that's more than 20 years. I have finally reached the conclusion IMHO that the Ds' family is laying very low because of fear. That is the ONLY reason I can think of. I have so much compassion for them. But I could be wrong...

:tantrum: My Dad is having the battery replaced in his defib in the morning. I'm worried and can't sleep. I can't imagine if someone brutally murdered him. I don't know how I would function, but dayumit, someone would pay! They would be best bet the police found them before I did. I can't imagine losing both my parents. I've noticed as my parents have gotten older, and my Dad so frail, I'm very protective of them. It's almost like I'm their parent now. Truly the "Momma bear" in me comes out ready to take on whatever.

I would imagine the majority of people are the same way.

Yet silence....I don't understand.

FIND THE KILLER(S)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think the Ds had lived at that address for since 1994, so that's more than 20 years. I have finally reached the conclusion IMHO that the Ds' family is laying very low because of fear. That is the ONLY reason I can think of. I have so much compassion for them. But I could be wrong...

I'm leaning toward the fear factor, also.

Thank y'all so much for the all of the links to articles regarding the Dermond case. This certainly is a sharp group! I am very concerned about the lack of investigation in this case. It is long past time for someone else than the local sheriff to look at this case. On one of the links to an article posted I noticed the following:

"Friday when the fishermen spotted Shirley Dermond&#8217;s body, it was face down about three miles northwest of the Wallace Dam. The body was roughly 200 feet from an uninhabited spit of woodland on the Greene County side of the water near Riley Shoals."

http://www.macon.com/2014/05/17/3103064_motive-in-lake-oconee-killings.html?rh=1

So the body of Ms. D was apparently found in Greene County, not Putnam County. I do not know about LE jurisdictions and laws, but it seems to me that the investigation into the murder of Ms. D would fall into Greene County jurisdiction. Anyone know about this? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74