GBC Trial General Discussion Thread #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reposting following link for anyone who hasn't seen it. The link contains the bail hearing documents such as autopsy report, statements from various witnesses, phone records....

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202113"]Bail Hearing Documents *No Discussion* - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

I believe the presence of alcohol is due to tissue necrosis, thus an artefact ( if this is the correct term for cadaver pathology) Samples for other assays like the antidepressant etc were sourced from the liver, where levesl are anticipated to be higher. I may be in error, as peripheral samples likely assayed as well.:twocents:

No peripheral assays were possible, due to decomposition. I won't go into the gory details, but let's just say that all the usual sites via which one would sample systemic blood from a peripheral vessel were not available. Hence the sampling via vessels within the liver, and also some liver tissue itself.

This was done because liver concentrations, while much higher than peripheral ones, have been well documented. The ratios between liver and peripheral concentrations have been correlated.

That's why Prof Olaf Drummer, the forensic toxicologist testified that there was NO overdose of sertraline. The levels in the liver and liver blood were what one would expect with normal systemic levels and dosage.

And yes, you're correct about the alcohol - tissue necrosis, putrefaction, and fermentation produce alcohol levels in both the blood (where there is any) and in the tissues.

respectfully snipped ~

I wrote a reply up thread, but your post suddenly reminded me of a movie, called Leave Her To Heaven starring the beautiful Gene Tierney. She framed her hubby for her murder. Love the movie, seen it so many times. :)

That also reminds me of the movie "The Life of David Gale". A fantastic movie dealing with the death penalty in the US. I highly recommend this movie if you've not seen it.

Here's a trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt7Jmjwjk3I

didn't scratch him silly , they were razor cuts from his old razor, you just thought you scratched him

Razor talk :floorlaugh:

I would have liked to have seen a question put to him relating to:

.. Why, if he had cut himself once with the razor, did he proceed and repeat the same action again and again in the vicinity of the first cut, which ended up cutting his skin twice more, and then continue to gouge a semicircle with the razor ...
while obviously bleeding from the first cut....

Somehow I get the impression that he (ridiculously) expected people to believe that he had made one swipe with the razor, and it did all that damage.

We know he wasn't using a safety scythe - it was a safety razor.

:moo:

Well holy crappers peeps!!!! It's taken me all night and day to catch up, (on the last thread anyway) in between short naps, and OMG.... He is truly out of his freaking mind!!!!!! I can't believe some of the bull£€%# that's come out of his stupid mouth !!!!!! Far out!!!!!!!
Thanks again for the well wishes, heaps of pain still, but as I was expecting! Should come good in a few days!!! Would LOVE to be there on Monday, so tempted!!!! Just to lay my eyes on him!!!

Nope definitely not the only one!

I too will avoid the blow dry to vamoose out of there as quick as possible. My hairdresser likes to insist on blowdrying sometimes and I grin and bear it, thinking I just want to get out of here.:floorlaugh: Glad to see I'm not the only one too.

hah and yet with my very curly thick hair I try and eke out my hairdresser style as long as possible (only because I would rival any afro out there and I'm a white girl and I hate my curls and yes everyone else wants them blah blah)
to the point where I will put baby powder in the roots so it doesn't look greasy :blushing:

Razor talk :floorlaugh:

I would have liked to have seen a question put to him relating to:

.. Why, if he had cut himself once with the razor, did he proceed and repeat the same action again and again in the vicinity of the first cut, which ended up cutting his skin twice more, and then continue to gouge a semicircle with the razor ...
while obviously bleeding from the first cut....

Somehow I get the impression that he (ridiculously) expected people to believe that he had made one swipe with the razor, and it did all that damage.

We know he wasn't using a safety scythe - it was a safety razor.

:moo:

I use exactly the same type of razor - a Gillette Mach 3. And I can tell you from LONG experience that the only damage it does can be one of two types:

1. If you accidentally slide the razor sideways, it causes a typical razor cut - sharp, narrow, slicing injury. And you stop straight away - so it's a short cut.

2. If you shave over a skin imperfection (what's one of those, I hear you say?) then it can knock the top of it, leaving a pinpoint bleeder.

What it most definitely does NOT do is to cause broad, ragged-looking, shallow gouges such as those seen in the photo of GBC's face.

And blaming it on "an old razor blade" is completely the wrong way round - I use my blades until they're absolutely blunt. Those blunt blades are much LESS likely to cause the slicing-type injury, but can still knock the top off a tiny bump in the skin. When I cut myself shaving, invariably it's with a brand new blade (they're actually three blades in the one cartridge - hence the "Mach 3" name) and I'm so used to being able to drag the old blade all over every which way, I sometimes forget it's a brand new blade and it slips sideways -> cut.

In my personal AND medical opinion, those are scratches on GBC's face, and absolutely 100% NOT due to shaving. Even if the witnesses weren't game enough to commit themselves to a 100% certainty - I am. They are scratches or gouges. There is no way they were done with a razor, ESPECIALLY a Gillette Mach 3 such as his (and mine).

I hope that is definite enough. Pity the expert witnesses weren't game to risk their reputations and be definite about it.

There is examination in chief evidence which is what GBC is in the middle of now. Then the prosecution will cross examine him on his evidence, then the defence can re examine him to clear up something raised in cross examination.

When the defence closes it's case, the defence then does their closing statement summarising their case and then the prosecution will then do their closing statement. The judge then gives directions to the jury, verbal and usually written. The written ones are pre agreed with both sides prior.

Then it's up to the jury.

Sorry if this has already been asked or mentioned/answered....I'm playing catch up again.

Alioop: When do you expect the trial to finish??

I'm trying to swap my night shifts for this Sun, Mon & Tues ( so far successfully got rid of sun & mon night!!! Yay......working on Tues night :blushing: )

I Will owe a few work mates some favors after this is over ( yes they all think I'm obsessed when I had to explain why I wanted to swap the shifts :blushing: )

Zorro - I love it. Is there some way we can make sure that the prosecution reads this??

I don't think they would need to. A prosecuting barrister and his advisers would be 10 steps ahead of us. I think GBC taking the stand is a dream come true for them.

Respectfully disagree. An important part of justice is to weigh up arguments for and against.

In this case however,highlighting a possible interaction with Maxolon and Sertraline. which may cause serotonin toxicity in an individual wouldn't help the defense at all.

There was no evidence of hyperthermia or organ failure associated with it in her autopsy.

Was it ever confirmed the perscription for Maxolon was in Allison's name? Remember Gerry told the Detectives he was unwell the night of Allisons disappearance?

Alright I am finally caught up!

I found GBC to be unbelievable on the stand. If I didn't despise him so much I would feel major second-hand embarrassment. What was the point of blathering on and on about their travels in such tedious detail? Whoever said its like being at a travel slide show without the slides was spot on.

I can imagine having an every day conversation with him would result in him finding every opportunity to slip in something about his travels. 'Oh yum GM this sandwich is so good'. 'You think that's good GG? Well when I was living in London - have I ever told you about that? - the Earl of Sandwich made me one! I had such a top notch job while we there, Allison didn't though'.

:floorlaugh: :floorlaugh: :floorlaugh:

Oh that's gold

I use exactly the same type of razor - a Gillette Mach 3. And I can tell you from LONG experience that the only damage it does can be one of two types:

1. If you accidentally slide the razor sideways, it causes a typical razor cut - sharp, narrow, slicing injury. And you stop straight away - so it's a short cut.

2. If you shave over a skin imperfection (what's one of those, I hear you say?) then it can knock the top of it, leaving a pinpoint bleeder.

What it most definitely does NOT do is to cause broad, ragged-looking, shallow gouges such as those seen in the photo of GBC's face.

And blaming it on "an old razor blade" is completely the wrong way round - I use my blades until they're absolutely blunt. Those blunt blades are much LESS likely to cause the slicing-type injury, but can still knock the top off a tiny bump in the skin. When I cut myself shaving, invariably it's with a brand new blade (they're actually three blades in the one cartridge - hence the "Mach 3" name) and I'm so used to being able to drag the old blade all over every which way, I sometimes forget it's a brand new blade and it slips sideways -> cut.

In my personal AND medical opinion, those are scratches on GBC's face, and absolutely 100% NOT due to shaving. Even if the witnesses weren't game enough to commit themselves to a 100% certainty - I am. They are scratches or gouges. There is no way they were done with a razor, ESPECIALLY a Gillette Mach 3 such as his (and mine).

I hope that is definite enough. Pity the expert witnesses weren't game to risk their reputations and be definite about it.

Oh, I absolutely agree.
I haven't for once thought of a razor as to causing those marks at all.
I hadn't seen the question asked of him.
Maybe because the skin damage was so obviously not a razor ;)

:seeya:

I think there was one expert (the last razor witness) who said 100% no razor. All the others said extremely unlikely. Pretty sure a few of the razor experts said branches would have been plausible.

GBC must be kicking himself now he didn't think to say sharp branches got him while he frantically searched for Allison in their garden (and dabbed a bit of blood on said sharp branches for good measure).

Apologies in advance as I'm often a day or two behind you all...I'm still trying to catch up on the last thread (before GBC took the stand) but have a question...

Are there a high degree of acquittals in Oz? I keep reading how concerned people are of such an outcome so I'm curious. I really believe the Crown has presented a decent circumstantial argument, and can list a dozen convictions based on less - even a few no body cases - but those are mostly American. So perhaps I'm just overly optimistic.

Please pardon errors as posted via Tapatalk with a less than stellar user.

Just my idea of what might of happened physically in the lead up to her death - IF Gerard had a hand in her death.

They were talking whilst washing lunch boxes that night. Words were said maybe that TM was going to be at the conference. Arguement errupted. Things smashed.
(Mrs Dickie said the kitchen felt sterile....cups of tea in saucers....perhaps there was a clean up of the kitchen?)

Al decides to leave the house,knocks over picture in hallway,chased by Gerard. Tackled to ground at carport. She's screaming and he's trying to make her quiet by pushing his body or bunching up her jumper to her mouth to silence her. She kicks and scratches and claws at his body and face in vain.

Then in a panic realising he killed her he dumps her in the car, banging her head against the rear wheel and doesn't realise that he's letting blood pool down the side of the door.

Not sure what happens afterwards and whether someone else helped with the disposal. Just thought id throw my opinion out there because to me the sterile kitchen and misplaced photo seems significant.

Hello all! First-time poster here, though I’ve been following this story as I’ve waited for my username and email address to be verified… and I’m in, yay! I’ve read everyone’s comments and found them all very fascinating – it’s so amazing and fortunate to have a community like this to help analyse the case, and cases like this. I also find it very interesting that many people have brought up intelligent questions and points that seemingly have been overlooked in court (or are not allowed to be discussed in court for some reason or another…. Grrr.). I’m a Brisbanite born and raised and I have to say, in my 37-year lifetime I’ve never come across a local trial like this. When GBC took the stand yesterday, the entire city stood still.

Before I get into my thoughts, I have a few questions to ask. (Sorry if they’ve been asked already and I missed them during my speed-reading…)

*Urgh, why doesn’t our criminal system allow polygraphs? GBC would be sweating buckets.

*Anyone have a clear idea where GBC is going with TMCH? My first thought was he was going to throw her under the bus. The statement Byrne made – “Allison asked about whether Toni felt bad because he was married, he said she did” – doesn’t seem to make sense because it seems evident that the only thing on her mind was Gerard, Gerard, Gerard. Why would GBC introduce this idea? I can’t think of it as being any use to the defence team?

*One thing keeps playing over in my mind and I don’t quite grasp what it means – in Allison’s diary, she quotes GBC as saying he couldn’t go back to Toni even if he wanted to. Did he insinuate to Allison perhaps that TMCH wouldn’t take him back? Or was he talking about their financial situation or the kids? If it were the latter, I’d think she’d mention the kids in her diary. “Says he is staying with me for kids. Doesn’t love me?” – or something similar? Maybe not – who knows what a person’s really thinking – but I wonder what he meant by telling her this.

*Can someone remind me of the exact day in which the verdict is to be read out?

Thoughts re: GBC’s latest comments…

*Allison’s depression/panic attacks: In reference to the comment that Allison was so panicked that she would “pass out” behind the wheel – in my history of psychological research (I have a degree in psych but also a personal interest in the subject, as well as two family members who suffer from panic attacks – one suffers them while driving), NOTHING suggests that a panic attack would lead to the person to “pass out”. In fact, it’s more likely the opposite: the person suffering a panic attacks has their heart hammering, is feeling extreme heat going all up and down their body, can’t breathe properly and is convinced they will die. They are so consciously fearful and panic attacks are so awful that the hyperactive body is not able to simply “pass out”. In my research and from anecdotal research, NO ONE suffering from a panic attack is at risk of passing out. They will instead suffer through it with a heartbeat so accelerated that at times even others can see the hammering movement of their heart through their chest.

*“Byrne says Allison desperately wanted a son because there were no male Baden-Clays”: OK, this isn’t Game of Thrones. We don’t all seek out male heirs to continue the family line. In fact, NO ONE here does. It’s a modern society here like everywhere else. The Baden-Clays and their snobbery about their name are the exception in Brisbane. To everyone else, banging on and on about the family name is a joke. People are free to marry who they like, to take their partner’s surname only if they wish to, etc etc. The days of men longing for a male heir are LONG past. It is also laughable to suggest that a lack of male heir would make a man want to have an affair?!?! (Who does GBC think he is, Henry VIII?)

*Zoloft: I am on Zoloft for anxiety (which has helped very nicely! I’m now much more able to operate, work, go out into society etc much more than I ever did in my 20s, when I wasn’t on Zoloft.) Zoloft is considered to be so safe that even GPs have the authority to prescribe it. “Gerard said they were told a possible side effect from Zoloft was causing more anxiety, loss of libido.” Though Zoloft has a possible side effect of loss of libido, this is higher in men than in women. (And I myself found no such side effect from Zoloft usage: I am female.) As to Gerard being told that a possible side effect of Zoloft is anxiety (a condition that Zoloft is specifically used to control), a study reported by Melissa Conrad Stoppler, MD found that out of 2,799 test subjects taking Zoloft, only 4 people reported anxiety. (The control group that took a placebo showed that 3 people reported anxiety).
So, this study showed that amongst Zoloft users, 0.14% of patients reported anxiety while using Zoloft. In another study, NHS UK reported that 1 in 100 people who take Sertraline hypochloride “may feel nervous or anxious”.
So, at best, Gerard is suggesting that Allison is part of 0.14%-1% of people who suffer from the very rare side effect of anxiety subsisting from Zoloft usage. Yeah, right.

*“Toni became more demanding, telling him he should leave Allison to be with her. That continued for about three years.” – Who in their right mind will believe this? I believe that TMCH didn’t give a fig about Allison, yes, but what man runs out and has a secret affair – potentially costing him everything – when their mistress is “demanding… for about three years.” What we know of GBC and what I’ve seen of men who have affairs is that they choose women who are NOT problematic – they rush off and have the affair because it’s easy for them, not hard! The mistress is their escapism, not an extra burden they’ve taken on! Sheesh… if she was so “demanding” then why did he keep it going for so long? He can’t say it was fear over Allison finding out. She already found out and he continued the affair! Is he insinuating that he’s so soft and stupid that TMCH had him under the thumb? From all the evidence we’ve heard so far, this is far from the truth. As someone else pointed out earlier, it was a poverty-driven affair: no throwing around of money or spa getaways – it was meet-ups in the back of the car, etc. TMCH basically followed him around and did whatever he wanted. It seemed like Toni was easy for him to manage for the most part (else why continue the affair?) and that he loved how needy she was – she blindly adored him, even though he was married, and until their last conversation seemingly let him do whatever he wanted.
What’s his defence against his physical relationship with TMCH? He tripped, fell, and landed on her in a compromising position – over and over again for 3-4 years? What an unlucky, clumsy fellow he is!

*"To be perfectly candid with you it came to a point where I was doing 80 to 90 to 95 ... I couldn't breastfeed obviously [but] I was doing everything in the home because Allison was in a depressed state that wouldn't really enable her to do anything": OK, even if we’re going to buy these lies of his… Has anyone ever explained to GBC what looking after your child is called? It’s called “fatherhood”. Are we supposed to feel sympathy for him because he helped take care of his child? Did he think Allison would just pump out the babies and take care of everything while he sat in a hammock out the back sipping on Long Island Iced Teas and mentally reliving the glory of Kieran Perkins’ swimming career? Because marriage is supposed to be an equal partnership – i.e. you take care of your kids! Even if he’s telling the truth, he’s still doing less than single fathers have to do.

*“When she was pregnant for the second time she was flat": Really? I don’t have kids but have a lot of younger siblings I helped raise. I remember my mother struggling more or less alone during each pregnancy and birth. And wow, it was totally a breeze! It was all I could do to stop my mother from doing cartwheels! (Sorry about all the sarcasm, but really…?!)

*“She was really feeling incapable of much at all. She spoke to my mum about it. She didn't want to speak to her parents about it”: How convenient that she allegedly told no one but GBC’s family about it. This explanation means no one can contradict GBC except for family members who are already on his side – and they’ve had their time in court already.

*“I can tell you 100 per cent why I didn't tell anybody, I was protecting my beautiful wife”: if he doesn’t stop referencing his “beautiful wife”, I’m going to rush down to the courtroom myself and… God only knows what. We know she was beautiful, yes, but does GBC believe this? Evidently not (infidelity). What man, by the way, constantly refers to his wife as “my beautiful wife” in public? Normal men just say “my wife” when referring to their partner, in the same way women don’t refer to their husbands as “my breathtakingly awesome husband.” I looked at his blog and it made me sick – he’s saying he likes Brigitte Jones’s diary because he likes watching chick flicks with “his beautiful wife”. Wow, he’s got that “beautiful wife” line down pat. What man on their blog or facebook or social media page – no matter how in love with their wife – state that they like a movie because they can watch it with “their beautiful wife”? The fact is, men don’t in normal conversation. Because people aren’t interested in hearing this and your blog/fb profile/social media page is about YOUR likes and interests. I can’t think of one occasion where a husband has publicly said “my beautiful wife” so many times in a row, unless you’re Kanye West or someone equally stupid. And I admit GBC is stupid, but the more someone reiterates the same unusual statement over and over the more I question their truthfulness. While some men may believe their wives are beautiful and love them dearly, they don’t harp on about it in public – people get sick of hearing it; it’s not relevant to the listener.

*Princess Diana/Kieran Perkins/9/11 references: What is this, A Brief History Of Modern Global Events by Gerald Baden Clay? Is he going to bring up Michael Jackson’s death too? How “Hurt Locker” won the Academy Award? The global financial crisis and its implications for iron ore exports out of Australia? Obama’s re-election? GBC, we’re all well aware of these events. If any of us want to check out the hit list of what’s happened over the last decade or so, we’ll look up Wikipedia. Not Badenopedia.

*“Allison was a very gifted ballerina as a child and was under considerable pressure, she felt”: Guess what, so was I. And ballet teachers can be quite nasty and induce nerves. That doesn’t mean that as an adult I’m suffering traumatic flashbacks to the time my teacher screamed at me in front of everyone, stating “I’m starting to regret moving you up to the senior class. Go and stand in the corner for 45 minutes and stare at the wall. No, closer than that! Nose to the wall! Now stay there”. It was bad, yes, but it happened was when I was a child, in a different world where this behaviour was overlooked. Things that happen in your childhood can shape you as a person but something like this does not have an impact on your daily life as an adult, in my experience. Nor is there any research out there to correlating pressure received as a child from ballet teachers with raising your children as an adult!

*“Byrne back up. Saying Gerard had no intention of being with Toni. Told her 1 July but knew it wouldn't happen.” Hey, this happens to be one part of the defence argument that may be true. I think his skill was in placating women. I think he murdered Allison for the money alone (and maybe the free-swinging single lifestyle). I’m not a mathematician, but he was about $1 million in debt. Allison’s life insurance was around $1 million. What an odd coincidence!!! I always felt he only kept TMCH stringing along, just placating her and taking whatever pleasure he could from her. And now he seems to be throwing her under the bus, this just confirms my suspicion.

*Traded down from Lexus to Captiva: Oh, wow, what a come-down! How could he live with this economic desolation? Having to downgrade a car to accommodate a changed financial situation – what a tragedy. I’m sure the starving, poverty-stricken refugees in Africa are feeling sympathy for GBC’s monetary issues. (Sorry, but his woe-is-me story just drives me insane...)

*Are we really going to have to endure The Dull History of GBC’s Travels & Work History for days to come? I’m trying to think of what witnesses the defence could possibly call. Forensic guys who might try to discredit the prosecution’s forensic experts’ arguments, yes, but the defence has already covered this in response to the prosecution witnesses. (Through stupid arguments questioning the validity of the speaker.) Who else could he possibly call that would shed new light on his argument? Some charlatan?

Defence: Let me get this straight, Madame Artifice. You are Mr. Baden-Clay’s astrologer, correct?
Madame Artifice: Correct.
Defence: And the defendant, Mr. Baden-Clay, was born on 9 September, making him a Virgo, correct?
Madame Artifice: That’s right.
Defence: In your expert opinion, what personality traits does Mr. Baden-Clay possess, being ruled by Mercury, the God of Energy?
Madame Artifice: His traits include a tendency to be born to serve. This gives Virgos great joy.
Defence: So, in your astrological opinion, would it be reasonable to assume that the defendant lived to serve his family selflessly?
Madame Artifice: That is a clear pattern for Virgos, yes.
Defence: Virgo males make for very loyal lovers, is that correct?
Madame Artifice: That is characteristic of a Virgo, indeed.
Defence: I rest my case.
*Stunned silence in courtroom*

Apologies in advance as I'm often a day or two behind you all...I'm still trying to catch up on the last thread (before GBC took the stand) but have a question...

Are there a high degree of acquittals in Oz? I keep reading how concerned people are of such an outcome so I'm curious. I really believe the Crown has presented a decent circumstantial argument, and can list a dozen convictions based on less - even a few no body cases - but those are mostly American. So perhaps I'm just overly optimistic.

Please pardon errors as posted via Tapatalk with a less than stellar user.

As stated before Max Sica - look him up - was convicted on FAR LESS circumstantial evidence....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea