General Discussion Thread #1 -Bail Hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
So she was in the bathroom with the door closed and he shot her through the door? Am I reading that correctly?

From above link:

Initial reports suggested the model may have been mistaken for a burglar, but Brigadier Denise Beukes later said police were 'very surprised' by that suggestion, adding: 'These allegations did not come from us.'

Following the hearing, Pistorius' family and his London management company issued a statement calling into question the criminal charge the 26-year-old athlete faces.

''The alleged murder is disputed in the strongest terms,'' the statement read. The statement did not elaborate.

The statement also said Pistorius wanted to ''send his deepest sympathies to the family of Reeva.''

''He would also like to express his thanks through us today for all the messages of support he has received - but as stated our thoughts and prayers today should be for Reeva and her family - regardless of the circumstances of this terrible, terrible tragedy,'' the statement read.

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/s...tement-strongly-disputes-murder-charge-021513

Formally charged, photos @ link:

Blade Runner in the dock: Oscar Pistorius holds his head in his hands as he is formally charged with murdering his model girlfriend who 'was shot four times through bathroom door' at his home

According to media reports in South Africa this morning, security guards at the complex found Pistorius by Steenkamp's body in the bathroom after she had been shot four times through the door.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ars-charged-count-murder-Reeva-Steenkamp.html

Not too much more can be said here. I get why the judge denied bail.

Hmmm, seems he has some anger issues:

Claims also surfaced that he had assaulted a woman in 2009; he was arrested and jailed overnight but released, later threatening to sue her. Clifton van der Burgh, creator of the reality show Steenkamp appeared in, was reported to have opened a case against Pistorius in November, accusing him of sending threatening text messages.

One newspaper conceded Thursday that Pistorius "has not always been a gentleman," citing reports of bursts of temper, arrogance and drunken aggression at concerts.

2nd page of article and more at link:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationw...ius-20130215,0,3535548.story?page=2&track=rss

The two of them were only dating for a short period of time.
I didn't find accidental shooting story to be all that believable from the start.

The tone of the report is odd, almost as IF he were the true victim.

So she was in the bathroom with the door closed and he shot her through the door? Am I reading that correctly?

That is a statement that I want clarified as well as I've seen it in several reports. Which side of the bathroom door was she on?

The two of them were only dating for a short period of time.
I didn't find accidental shooting story to be all that believable from the start.

I agree especially if true, 4 shots, the bathroom shooting has not been
confirmed, they only had started dating in November/12 not very long, something happened during the night to make him if true, to kill her in the early hours of the morning, most people are sleeping at that time, she was spending the night, so if they had argued earlier in the evening, I would think if she was really upset, she would have left, maybe as being reported it was pre-mediated on his part, I am awaiting to hear about his blood level for alcohol or some kind of drugs, I do not think he will be granted bail, if they already believe it was pre-mediated. Not sure how the laws are set-up in that country.
Any thoughts?

I agree especially if true, 4 shots, the bathroom shooting has not been
confirmed, they only had started dating in November/12 not very long, something happened during the night to make him if true, to kill her in the early hours of the morning, most people are sleeping at that time, she was spending the night, so if they had argued earlier in the evening, I would think if she was really upset, she would have left, maybe as being reported it was pre-mediated on his part, I am awaiting to hear about his blood level for alcohol or some kind of drugs, I do not think he will be granted bail, if they already believe it was pre-mediated. Not sure how the laws are set-up in that country.
Any thoughts?

My thought is that it was another conflict between them, he grabbed a gun, she ran into the bathroom and slammed the door, he shot her through it.

That is a statement that I want clarified as well as I've seen it in several reports. Which side of the bathroom door was she on?

I am willing to bet inside if LE charged him that quickly.

I am willing to bet inside if LE charged him that quickly.

According to their paper, it still has not been confirmed that he shot her through the bathroom door, but it does make sense, charged right away, no bail for now, 4 bullets, and he was an avid target shooter, he liked to go to the target range, someone that interviewed him was on CNN last night, and he said that, he interviewed him at his home, he said he thought he was a very kind guy, but that was for public appearance, one never really knows someone, so very sad for her family!!

According to their paper, it still has not been confirmed that he shot her through the bathroom door, but it does make sense, charged right away, no bail for now, 4 bullets, and he was an avid target shooter, he liked to go to the target range, someone that interviewed him was on CNN last night, and he said that, he interviewed him at his home, he said he thought he was a very kind guy, but that was for public appearance, one never really knows someone, so very sad for her family!!

My husband and I like to shoot targets (clay pigeons) too. lol But I do know from what I've read so far is that he seemed paranoid about break-ins, had guns handy, and knew how to use them.

http://news.yahoo.com/weeping-pistorius-faces-life-prison-shooting-164118873--oly.html

From the article:

At the defense's request, the chief magistrate delayed Pistorius' bail hearing until Tuesday and Wednesday. Prosecutors and defense lawyers agreed to keep Pistorius in a police holding cell, rather than transfer him to prison like most normal suspects. While Nasir acknowledged that could give them impression that the athlete was getting "preferential treatment," he agreed to it. Police have said they oppose Pistorius being freed on bail.

In saying they'll seek a premeditated murder charge against Pistorius, prosecutors likely are claiming they have evidence that the athlete planned the killing ahead of time, said William Booth, a prominent defense lawyer from Cape Town. The charge, which carries a sentence of life in prison, also makes it more difficult for Pistorius to successfully apply for bail, Booth said, though it could be a challenge to get a conviction.

… in South Africa, there is no jury system, leaving Pistorius face largely to the judge who will oversee his possible trial.

Wow. Shot through a bathroom door ---was she trying to hide in there from him ??
So sad and she was supposedly beautiful on the inside as well, according to what her family and friends say. RIP, Reeva !!!!!

Wow. Shot through a bathroom door ---was she trying to hide in there from him ??
So sad and she was supposedly beautiful on the inside as well, according to what her family and friends say. RIP, Reeva !!!!!

That was my first thought too! The poor woman was trying to hide from him.

I feel so sorry for this woman. She had so much to look forward to and this ended that for her. I don't think this was an accident in any shape or form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member