Germany - Truck crashes into Christmas market in Berlin, 9 dead, 19 Dec 2016

UPDATES:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/dec/19/berlin-truck-crash-christmas-market-live

London’s Metropolitan Police says it is reviewing its plans for protecting public events over the Christmas period in light of both the Berlin attack and the assassination in Ankara of Russia’s ambassador to Turkey.

In a statement it says: “The Metropolitan Police has detailed plans for protecting public events over the Christmas and New Year period. These already recognise that the [terrorist] threat level is at ‘severe’, meaning an attack is highly likely, and have considered a range of threats, including the use of large vehicles.

“As a matter of routine, as a precaution, we review our plans after attacks overseas, and we are doing so at present following the awful incidents in Berlin and Ankara last night.”

Hijacked Polish driver of Berlin truck appears to have been shot - reports
From Reuters:

One of those found dead after a truck ploughed into a Christmas market in Berlin had been shot, German magazine Focus Online reported on Tuesday, citing the interior minister for the state of Brandenburg.

The victim was most likely the Polish driver of the truck, Brandenburg Interior Minister Karl-Heinz Schroeter said in Potsdam, referring to information from a telephone conference of state interior ministers, the magazine said. He said the Polish driver was a victim, not a perpetrator, the magazine said.

Police said earlier that the man found dead in the truck was a Polish citizen but added he was not in control of the vehicle.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...tack-suspect-named-23-year-old-asylum-seeker/

It's funny you should bring that up OBE, I was just reading and considering posting this. This has unnerved me more than other recent attacks.

We have a German Christmas market here in town every year, like the one in Berlin albeit a little smaller. I've always wanted to go but as some may know, I have agoraphobia (brought on by health problems) I have always been unable to make it.

Having lost my DH in May, I've had to push my boundaries and try and overcome it, I have made progress and been able to walk into town (still learning to drive) I've been to the German Christmas Market 2 times, I was there on Saturday. It was wonderful, so pretty. Little wooden huts like you see in Berlin, with lights and decorations, very festive and traditional. In the time I was there, 100's maybe 1000's of people passed through. This is what is making me feel shaken by this. I stood at one point and looked around, and I thought to myself "look at all these people" So many, having a good time, and vehicles passing by, and it suddenly entered my head 'what if?' What if one of those cars came hurtling through, what if there was a bomb, what if there was an attack. I quickly scanned my surroundings to see where I could jump to, hide in, which shop door was the closet to run to...

Then this happens? :(

I grew up in the 70's and 80's in England, with the IRA. I've been in London when there were bomb scares. It's always been something that I was frightened of. Having anxiety I still think these things, and avoid big cities purposely. Don't even think of trying to get me on a plane...

The terrisrists are winning. They are not only killing and injuring people, they're creating more 'me's

I hate it

Wonderful post skibs and I think you're a brave, wonderful person. However, I do not believe the terrorists are winning. I believe each and every terrorists attack shows more and more people exactly who/what radical islam is really about. I believe eyes are being opened to the evil invited into unsuspecting countries. He who has eyes let him see. . .

I do agree, somewhat, that more and more people may be staying home, out of crowds, etc, because of the terrorists. I was invited to Europe a couple of weeks ago to see the Christmas fairs, but I declined - probably more to do with health than fear, but I also believe discretion overtook valor in that particular case. On the other hand, I constantly warn my son, living and traveling in Europe, to be careful. He promises he will but he isn't going to stop traveling or enjoying his life. The same with my children here in America. They tell me they won't stop living and enjoying themselves because of these crazies, they refuse to let them win. Maybe I'm a bit more chicken 'cause I'm too old to run.

No, I don't believe the terrorists are winning; they are waking people up and maybe arousing a desire to fight back.

:cow:

PRESSER MERKEL: THIS ACT WILL BE PUNISHED HARD

Bild
http://www.bild.de/politik/inland/t...hnachtsmaerkte-geschlossen-49402712.bild.html

At 11 o'clock, Chancellor Angela Merkel (CDU), dressed all in black, in the chancellor's office, found moving words for the victims and she condemned the attack sharply.

"I am sad and shaken as are millions of people in Germany. Twelve people who were still among us yesterday, who were looking forward to Christmas, had plans, are no longer there. "

In these hours her thoughts are with the victims and the relatives. "I want them to know we're all united with them in mourning. We pray for the injured. That they can be healthy and live again. "

Merkel said, "I think of the rescue workers, police officers, firemen, doctors and paramedics." Merkel thanked them "from the heart for their heavy duty". She also mentioned the investigators. And assured: "This act will be solved and punished as hard as our laws permit."

She stated that the attack was particularly obnoxious as it concerns people who are involved with refugees and those who are actually seeking protection and help in this country.

How can one live with the knowledge of a murderer choosing a place where one celebrates life, the Chancellor asked. Her appeal: "We do not want to give up living beautiful hours. We do not want to live with the fear of evil."

BBM

Angela Merkel is the living proof of evil posing as goodness.

TERRORIST IS PAKISTANI ASYLUM SEEKER

Daily Mail
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...as-market-Berlin-leaving-two-people-dead.html

A Pakistani asylum seeker believed to have used a hijacked 25-tonne lorry to murder 12 people and injure 48 more at a Berlin Christmas market had only been in Germany for months and was already known to police because of petty crime, it was revealed today.

The masked 23-year-old named as Naved B, who entered the country under a false name on New Year's Eve 2015
, turned off the truck's lights before mounting the pavement at 40mph and ploughing through crowds of people enjoying mulled wine after work.

The vehicle laden with steel cargo ripped through stalls and shoppers at 7pm on Breitscheidplatz Square, outside the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church in the German capital's main shopping area.

Witnesses said victims were sent flying like bowling pins as the killer driver steered at them before jumping out of the cab and racing from the scene.

Police managed to take the masked terror suspect alive at a nearby zoo after a 'hero' witness in the Christmas market gave chase on foot while giving officers second-by-second updates on his phone. Naved B is in a Berlin police station today.

He was believed to be living in a refugee camp at Berlin's Tempelhof airport, which was raided by an elite group of armed anti-terror police at 4am this morning.

BBM

It remains a mystery why Pakistanis are eligible for refugee status, also given that the whole world intended to help the people from Syria.

Many sources:

Suspect denies everything

BBM

WE HAVE THE WRONG MAN

Welt.de
https://www.welt.de/politik/deutsch...iner-Polizei-Wir-haben-den-falschen-Mann.html

The statements of the alleged perpetrator have been examined and are considered to be correct. "We have the wrong man," the Berlin police says. "And thus a new situation. For the true perpetrator is still armed at large and can cause new damage."

The state's riot police and the special forces have been informed.

BBM

Well maybe yes and maybe no. Somehow, I have the idea that they should hang on to this person for a while. Just to make sure on every side.

:gaah:

Only a few victims identified; 18 of 48 injured are severely hurt - Reuters

Polish man dead at Berlin Xmas market was 'shot,' official says - AFP

Findings show man found dead in truck that plowed into Christmas market was not the driver - @PolizeiBerlin_E

What on earth is that gonna turn out to mean? Maybe he tried at the last minute to talk him out of it?

Why would you need two people to do this?

Does not have the same dance as calling out in the name of whatever, being a martyr - he ran like a criminal does.

This might actually be a murder by some miserable person.

Something about a shot body in the cab , that is not the orginal driver is very strange IMO.

Dont know how he thought that by running away he would not be found.

Seems kinda dumb, unless he thought he would be killed and then had not died and had not choice , or maybe the other one in the cab shot himself in the head to avoid being captured?

We need more info on person in cab, relationsip if any, where shot, did they know each other, and did the guy who ran shoot the other the guy in the cab - it is just strange moo

Wonderful post skibs and I think you're a brave, wonderful person. However, I do not believe the terrorists are winning. I believe each and every terrorists attack shows more and more people exactly who/what radical islam is really about. I believe eyes are being opened to the evil invited into unsuspecting countries. He who has eyes let him see. . .

I do agree, somewhat, that more and more people may be staying home, out of crowds, etc, because of the terrorists. I was invited to Europe a couple of weeks ago to see the Christmas fairs, but I declined - probably more to do with health than fear, but I also believe discretion overtook valor in that particular case. On the other hand, I constantly warn my son, living and traveling in Europe, to be careful. He promises he will but he isn't going to stop traveling or enjoying his life. The same with my children here in America. They tell me they won't stop living and enjoying themselves because of these crazies, they refuse to let them win. Maybe I'm a bit more chicken 'cause I'm too old to run.

No, I don't believe the terrorists are winning; they are waking people up and maybe arousing a desire to fight back.

:cow:

I KNOW you're right Trident, In my logical mind. My scared anxious mind gives a skewered perception. For every one of 'me' that hides from the world, there are 10,000 others that stand up and fight back. I won't lie, I was planning to go into town again to the market this Friday, get a few last minute things. My friend txt me last night and asked if I wanted her to take me shopping today, the relief! I would have been a nervous wreck. They are beating me, for now. Or that may be my personal terrorist, my own mind ;)

They arrested the wrong guy???

That is what SKY news is reporting t

boy oh boy huh?

They are pulling back on terrorist angle as well.

So maybe eyewitnesses got confused, and dead guy in the cab was the perp and he shot himself?

Grabbing at straws right now

"Dense traffic in NYC makes it an unlikely target for a terrorist truck attack"

"After Al Qaeda recommended lone wolf terrorists use cars to spread carnage on an unsuspecting public, the NYPD has reached out to 140 truck rental companies in and around the city to warn them that their vehicles could be eyed by terrorists, said Miller, who also spoke on “CBS This Morning” Tuesday.

Following the attack in Berlin, heavily armed NYPD units were sent to holiday markets throughout the five boroughs — another layer of protection against potential terror attacks, Miller said."

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-traffic-target-terrorist-truck-attack-article-1.2917151

So, holiday markets will now have Christmas trees, stalls with gift items to purchase, hot chocolate....and armed guards. 'Tis the season of peace.

boy oh boy huh?

So maybe eyewitnesses got confused, and dead guy in the cab was the perp and he shot himself?

The truck was hijacked. The hijacker shot the driver, plowed into the crowd and the passenger ran out of the truck when the truck stopped. People thought the passenger was the one who did this but it turns out they were wrong. Imo...

boy oh boy huh?

I read that the terrorist hijacked the truck and killed the driver, that is the dead person in the truck.

Also read that someone ( member of public ) followed the hijacker when he ( hijacker ) got out of the truck and this is how the police caught him, as the member of public was in contact with the police and giving them the hijacker's location.

So is very odd now that police are saying they have the wrong man

Deleted as brain definately not in gear today !

boy oh boy huh?

bbm, I have not seen this, do you have a link?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwells1000
Back