Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for information: for us ladies who color their hair, it is right next to toilet paper as far as availability. I even checked on line and a lot of it is unavailable.

target has a bunch of brands/varieties available for shipping. I was fortunate enough to be able to get root touch up in the store last time I went and there was a lot to choose from. My stylist is going to kill me when this is all over lol. I had an appointment two weeks ago which was obviously cancelled.

I am up to about 10 cans of chickpeas now from the food bank handout. We normally use it to make hummus. I’m going to try waffle falafel tomorrow. I found a recipe I am pretty sure I can convert to gluten free, egg free and dairy free. I wish I had some cucumbers. I think they’d be good with shredded cucumbers, diced tomatoes and sliced black olives sprinkled on top. Stay tuned.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/waffled-falafel-recipe-3361890

Decided to go on an expedition to acquire toilet paper, meats and fresh vegetables and was surprised to find meats and vegetables at Aldi's. No paper products at all but did find a great buy on wine. Limit of two each (chicken, beef and pork).
I like Aldis. I buy their Winking Owl Pinot Grigio now & then.

I am up to about 10 cans of chickpeas now from the food bank handout. We normally use it to make hummus. I’m going to try waffle falafel tomorrow. I found a recipe I am pretty sure I can convert to gluten free, egg free and dairy free. I wish I had some cucumbers. I think they’d be good with shredded cucumbers, diced tomatoes and sliced black olives sprinkled on top. Stay tuned.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchen/waffled-falafel-recipe-3361890
I had several cans of chickpeas in my pantry,

I made roasted chickpeas, and we used them in salads, in rice/veggie bowls, and for snacks. They are high in protein and taste great.

Roasted Chickpeas

Drain and rinse canned chickpeas. Let them sit on a paper towel until dry.

Toss with olive oil and seasoning (I used salt, pepper, and curry powder) then spread in a single layer on a baking sheet.

Roast at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Some of them might pop during baking, that is normal.

You can use any seasonings you like, I have used garlic, smoked paprika, chili powder, and other seasonings.

Just want to let you know that the chemicals in those scented candles are not good for your lungs. Please google the negative health effects before buying.

I'm in Ontario, its still cold and rainy but I open the windows for 10 minutes or so, try to get a cross breeze to get rid of the 'staleness'.

Stay healthy, stay safe.

Yes, frequently burning candles is known to increase health risks.

South Carolina State University

Some essential oils are toxic to pets.

Essential Oils Are Toxic to Dogs | Pet Poison Helpline

I love chick peas and also make my own hummus. Have you tried roasting garbanzos? Spread them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Season with salt, pepper, and any other seasoning that you like. Bake in 375* oven for about 30 minutes. Let the chick peas cool for 15-30 minutes. Crunchy, yummy snack or salad topper :)

I also make a very simple soup with only three ingredients: leeks, garbanzos, and chicken (or vegetable) stock. Salt and pepper to taste.

Some years ago, I used to get chick peas in small pop-top cans (about 1/2 cup) that were great for snacking or sprinkling on salad. Haven't seen the little cans anywhere for a long time. I bought them by the case (24 cans) at Meijer.

Last edited:
I made roasted chickpeas, and we used them in salads, in rice/veggie bowls, and for snacks. They are high in protein and taste great...

So sorry :oops: I responded to PayrollNerd's post about chick peas before having read yours. I like roasted chick peas, too, but my method is a little different. Not sure where I got it.

I made a turkey Sunday so we have leftovers and I can make Gumbo this week too. I've shopped Aldi for years - but I do not like their beef cuts - ground beef, chicken, pork are all good - I just find their beef lacking. Paper products are still hard to find here.

So sorry :oops: I responded to PayrollNerd's post about chick peas before having read yours. I like roasted chick peas, too, but my method is a little different. Not sure where I got it.
I like your soup recipe! Will try that for sure.

We made layered rice bowls with roasted chickpeas. I cooked rice in vegetable broth while roasting chickpeas. Then I layered rice and roasted chickpeas in bowls, and topped with sautéed vegetables and sauce.

DH and I had a successful trip to Nino Salvaggio's and should not have to venture out for another week. Got everything on our list with round trip taking about an hour. Most staff and customers wearing masks, some gloves; we wore both. My glasses kept getting fogged from breathing into the mask :D Store was actually quite busy, and there was a customer service announcement about social distancing a couple of times while we were in the store.

I know, and then I wonder if fresh vegetables at the store will just go bad.

Really thinking.
The produce that’s not sold is donated to the food banks. In my general food box yesterday, I was given celery, tomatoes, pears, mangoes, oranges and lemons. I’m hoping in my produce box tomorrow, I get some salad greens or spinach. If not, that’s ok. I’m surely not going to the store for any.

Since we aren’t supposed to go to grocery or pharmacy unless it’s an essential trip I’m using pantry and freezer. Going to try to make it 4 weeks without a trip. Broke into the UHT almond milk. Used the cabbage with homed corned beef then used the leftover corned beef for hash and left over cabbage for unstuffed egg rolls. Cheese drawer is getting low, veggie drawer is low. Easter dinner is shaping up to be a ham I have frozen, frozen green beans and tator tots. Just my husband and I so it’s not a big deal. Kids want to come over but I don’t think I want them to. Future DIL has been sick for 3 weeks and is finally feeling better. I don’t think I’m on board with a visit. She was screened for COVID before the community spread started being apparent so they didn’t test her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
?Unicorn/Fkboi?