Halyna Hutchins Shot With Prop Gun - Alec Baldwin indicted & Hannah Gutierrez-Reed charged, 2021 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is not the the size of the budget, it is the relation between the size of budget and the ambitions of the producers. Situational underfunding often leads, as it did in this case, to continual pressure to speed up operations (a phenomenon also seen in oil well drilling) which in turn causes failure to observe precautions.

from the article:
“The modification appears to be related to the notches on the internal portion of the hammer for full *advertiser censored*, half *advertiser censored* and quarter *advertiser censored* positions,” prosecutors wrote in court documents filed this week, which asked the judge to authorize transferring the .45 Long Colt revolver, ammunition and other evidence collected from the film set to a ballistics expert for forensic testing. “It appears that these notches may have been partially removed or ground down so that they are less prominent.”

So, a few questions:
  1. Why didn't the FBI lab discover the alterations to the gun?
  2. If the FBI didn't find the modifications, who did?
  3. Could Alec Baldwin have been telling the truth when he said he never pulled the trigger?

Last edited:
from the article:
“The modification appears to be related to the notches on the internal portion of the hammer for full *advertiser censored*, half *advertiser censored* and quarter *advertiser censored* positions,” prosecutors wrote in court documents filed this week, which asked the judge to authorize transferring the .45 Long Colt revolver, ammunition and other evidence collected from the film set to a ballistics expert for forensic testing. “It appears that these notches may have been partially removed or ground down so that they are less prominent.”

So, a few questions:
  3. Could Alec Baldwin have been telling the truth when he said he never pulled the trigger?

Answer 1: Because the FBI tech had probably never seen that make and model of revolver before. How many crimes nationwide that require forensics are committed with single-action replicas? And the business of banging the hammer with a mallet was uncalled for -- nobody asserted the gun discharged as a result of being dropped. I've provided technical support to lawyers preparing to depose people. The first question I would have submitted to the FBI deposition would have been "How many Pietta California replicas have you analyzed in your career?"

Answer 2: Probably a defense gunsmith who knew what to look for. The assertion that the gun was in perfect shape was always contradicted by the fact that the prop master had shot herself in the foot (literally) while loading blanks into it some time earlier.

3. Quite possibly.

My take (IMHO and all that) is that from the looks of it this was an old, clapped-out weapon that had been kicking around for years and viewed by most of the people who handled it as not much more than a cap pistol, used only for firing blanks and possibly half loads. Pictures of its internals will be very interesting.

Answer 2: Probably a defense gunsmith who knew what to look for. The assertion that the gun was in perfect shape was always contradicted by the fact that the prop master had shot herself in the foot (literally) while loading blanks into it some time earlier.
I'd heard about the earlier misfires on set, but I hadn't realized that it was the same gun that also killed Halyna.

I'd heard about the earlier misfires on set, but I hadn't realized that it was the same gun that also killed Halyna.
No alternative candidate has surfaced. Probably should have used "challenged" instead of "contradicted" but too late to edit. In any case the possibility that the weapon was faulty deserved more attention than it got. Until now.

And there's more:
Last two paragraphs are a bit juicy.
@DI_Isokawa Yes, juicy.

From linked story, re def. attys for HGR
"The lawyers also argued that Halls was “culpable” in connection to the shootings under the Occupational Health and Safety Bureau (OHSB) regulations, alleging that the defense team for Halls donated to the special prosecutors campaign."

Adding link again.

Just heard on the news this morning that a judge approved the settlement. They said the filming of the movie Rust was completed and all proceeds will go to her son & husband. Judgement could not be approved until movie was completed evidently. JMO

as part of the agreement, Hutchins' son Andros - who was nine years old when his mother died - will receive "periodic payments" when he reaches the ages of 18 and 22.

Last edited:
Just heard on the news this morning that a judge approved the settlement. They said the filming of the movie Rust was completed and all proceeds will go to her son & husband. Judgement could not be approved until movie was completed evidently. JMO

as part of the agreement, Hutchins' son Andros - who was nine years old when his mother died - will receive "periodic payments" when he reaches the ages of 18 and 22.

For their sake, I hope the movie is a success, but somehow I can’t see that the “proceeds” will be substantial. I suspect that Baldwin’s personal financial situation is such that gambling on possible future movie proceeds made the most sense.

JMO

snipped for focus @BeachSky
Thanks for the update.
In the links, I'm not seeing anything relating to the approved settlement that "all proceeds" will go to husband & son.

Anyone have a link w ^this^ phrasing --- "All proceeds."
Or "all profits" or "net profits."

ETA: Puzzling that defts would agree to any of the above.
May be defts believe they're not conceding big $$$.
Regardless I hope there's a ton of $$$ for husband & son.

Actually, <correction nevermind.>

Last edited:
snipped for focus @BeachSky
Thanks for the update.
In the links, I'm not seeing anything relating to the approved settlement that "all proceeds" will go to husband & son.

Anyone have a link w ^this^ phrasing --- "All proceeds."
Or "all profits" or "net profits."

ETA: Puzzling that defts would agree to any of the above.
May be defts believe they're not conceding big $$$.
Regardless I hope there's a ton of $$$ for husband & son.

Actually, <correction nevermind.>
I heard it on the news this morning.
They said Rust was completed and all the proceeds would go to the son & husband.
Just what I heard.

ETA:
This older article talks about a portion of film profits.
The agreement was suppose to be “sealed” but that is what was reported this morning.
IDK

Last edited:
I heard it on the news this morning.
They said Rust was completed and all the proceeds would go to the son & husband.
Just what I heard.
ETA:
This older article talks about a portion of film profits.
The agreement was suppose to be “sealed” but that is what was reported this morning.
IDK
@BeachSky Thanks for taking time to respond & explain.

The publicity and controversy might actually motivate more people to watch the film.

JMO
Agreed. I think the controversy will draw views. Will it be enough to cover costs? Who knows. But not finishing the movie ensured that no one got paid or recognized. I am sure that 99% of the people associated with this file wanted it to be completed.

from the article:

So, a few questions:
Why was the gun sent to the FBI to begin with? It should have sent to BATFE, they have far more expertise. Have we seen the actual FBI report? I don't think we have, but would like to. Did LE/DA misrepresent initially what it said, or did FBI bungle the exam and report?

Why was the gun sent to the FBI to begin with? It should have sent to BATFE, they have far more expertise. Have we seen the actual FBI report? I don't think we have, but would like to. Did LE/DA misrepresent initially what it said, or did FBI bungle the exam and report?
A little of both, IMHO. The report is not really a report. It is a summary of conclusions drawn from a partial examination. There is no statement of the hypothesis being tested. There are no photographs. The serial number of the weapon is given but no date of manufacture. There is no description of the condition of the weapon with regard to cleanliness or wear and tear, or if it had been modified. The chemical analysis of the unfired rounds (reported separately) contains no measure of the amount of powder in the rounds. There is a potentially significant "witness mark" on the spent cartridge which is not mentioned or documented. The laboratory was told by the local agent not to perform tool mark analysis on the rounds to help determine where they had been loaded, which I found interesting

The reports are at the end of the mass of material released by the Sheriff.

A little of both, IMHO. The report is not really a report. It is a summary of conclusions drawn from a partial examination. There is no statement of the hypothesis being tested. There are no photographs. The serial number of the weapon is given but no date of manufacture. There is no description of the condition of the weapon with regard to cleanliness or wear and tear, or if it had been modified. The chemical analysis of the unfired rounds (reported separately) contains no measure of the amount of powder in the rounds. There is a potentially significant "witness mark" on the spent cartridge which is not mentioned or documented. The laboratory was told by the local agent not to perform tool mark analysis on the rounds to help determine where they had been loaded, which I found interesting

The reports are at the end of the mass of material released by the Sheriff.
Thanks for the info. when I get time I'll try to go back and look at that. Why such shoddy work on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500