Halyna Hutchins Shot With Prop Gun - Alec Baldwin indicted & Hannah Gutierrez-Reed charged, 2021 #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
HH's Parents’ & Sister’s Lawsuit re HH's Death.
By-Passing NM's Statutory Req’mt. re WD Pers. Rep?

@PrairieWind Thanks for your post raising these issues in this situation (which reads eerily like a Conflict of Laws final exam. wink wink).

If HH’s parents & sister want to by-pass NM’s req’mt re wrongful death personal rep., I can see that, plus another reason not to file suit under the NM WDA statute, period.

First, parents & sister filing in own individual capacities, instead of as representatives of probate est. or appointed WD representatives for this case, like you said.
Would it be possible to amend petition, to seek to have one or all three of them or another person appointed to overcome that issue? Maybe, IDK.

Second, more importantly, even IF a WD pers rep. was appt’ed,*** and IF case reached trial, and IF jury awarded damages, under NM’s statutory priorities of distribution of proceeds provision,** ALL proceeds w/be distrib'ed to surviving spouse (half) & child (half), per Sec. 41-2-3 A & B,

In this situation, NM Wrongful Death Action would leave parents & sister OUT IN THE COLD.

All imo, based on NM statutes, annotations, & cases below.
Welcoming clarification or correction, esp‘ly from PrairieWind &
our legal professionals.

*Section-41-2-1. Death by wrongful act or neglect; liability in damages.
^ 2021 New Mexico Statutes :: Chapter 41 - Torts :: Article 2 - Wrongful Death; Actions for Damages :: Section 41-2-1 - [Death by wrongful act or neglect; liability in damages.]

**"Section 41-2-3 - Personal representative to bring action; damages; distribution of proceeds.
"Every action mentioned in Section 41-2-1 NMSA 1978 shall be brought by… personal representative of the deceased person,…jury… may give such damages, compensatory and exemplary,… pecuniary injury resulting from the death to the surviving party entitled to the judgment,…. The proceeds … shall be distributed as follows:
A. if there is a surviving spouse and no child, then to the spouse;
B. if there is a surviving spouse and a child or grandchild, then one-half to the surviving spouse and the remaining one-half to the children and grandchildren, the grandchildren taking by right of representation;
C. if there is no husband or wife, but a child or grandchild, then to such child and grandchild by right of representation;
D. if the deceased is a minor, childless and unmarried, then to the father and mother who shall have an equal interest in the judgment, or if either of them is dead, then to the survivor;
E. if there is no father, mother, husband, wife, child or grandchild, then to a surviving brother or sister if there are any; and
F. if there is no kindred as named in Subsections A through E of this section, then the proceeds of the judgment shall be disposed of in the manner authorized by law for the disposition of the personal property of deceased persons." (sbm)
^ 2018 New Mexico Statutes :: Chapter 41 - Torts :: Article 2 - Wrongful Death; Actions for Damages /

*** ANNOTATION: RELATIONSHIP OF SUIT TO ESTATE.
"Relationship of suit to estate. — Wrongful death suit under this act has no relation to the estate, it being incidental that a "personal representative" is named to bring suit and it is not because this would fall within his duties as such, but because someone must be named and our legislature has fixed upon him as the one to sue. Henkel v. Hood, 1945-NMSC-006, 49 N.M. 45, 156 P.2d 790.
^ 2018 New Mexico Statutes :: Chapter 41 - Torts :: Article 2 - Wrongful Death; Actions for Damages :: Section 41-2-3 - Personal representative to bring action; damages; distribution of proceeds.

***ANNOTATION: PERS REP. NOT THE SAME AS IN PROBATE CODE
"Use of "personal representative" not same as in Probate Code. — "Personal representative" for the purpose of a wrongful death action is not synonymous with the parameters of the Probate Code, 45-1-101 NMSA 1978 et seq. Mackey v. Burke, 1984-NMCA-028, 102 N.M. 294, 694 P.2d 1359, cert.quashed, 102 N.M. 293, 694 P.2d 1358 (1985)."
I don't know enough about California law to really answer. And it is California where the suit is brought. This suit is for loss of consortium, which is typically in my jurisdictions, a type of damages brought in a wrongful death suit. So I don't know if Calif allows these claims to be brought separately or not. The Jurisdiction/venue section of the complaint is very thin and doesn't spell this out. It will be interesting to see how Defendants respond. I hope Allred has done her homework on this.

I am totally gobsmacked that they're going ahead with this film.
Holy crapola.
I get it that movies are AB's livelihood.

Maybe make a completely different movie ?
It turns out that it really isn't that uncommon for a movie to continue on after deaths on set. Top Gun, Ben Hur, Rambo, are just a few.

Agreed 100% ! I also blame DH much more than AB. He is the one that loudly proclaimed it to be a cold gun. I know quite a bit about DH and he has a reputation in the industry of cutting corners and being bossy enough to overstep rules.

None of the materials filed with the court (including Dave's) stating that he said that. Several people say they heard him say nothing (but cannot swear that they heard everything) others say they witnessed him bring the gun in, but do not mention him saying anything (loud or soft) about a cold gun. Alec was supposed to have the gun in its holster for the upcoming scene. The gaffer's statement says that it appeared to him that Alec decided to practice a little while Joel and Halyna were conferring about camera angles and the re-staging (without the mini-crane camera that Halyna had sent back to the rental place) of the final scenes in the church.

The only person who says it was announced is Alec Baldwin. It would be interesting to know what Dave says he said (in his initial statement, he says he doesn't remember saying any thing like that). The 550 page document is available if anyone wants to fact check this.

Here it is online:

Autopsy is redacted, etc. Initial statements to police (after Miranda rights were read) are included.

IMO.

I didn't know anyone died on the set of Ben-Hur ?
:eek:

It was not the one with Charlton Heston. It was an attempt to put this novel on film in 1925.

Stuntman died when the wheel on his chariot broke.

Top Gun: Stunt pilot/cameraman died during a deliberately planned nosedive into the Pacific, from which he failed to pull out.

Rambo: Special Effects worker died when a planned explosion went off early or was improperly set up.

IMO.

Allred to Media: HH's Fam's Injuries? It's All AB's Fault.

"It is abundantly clear... that he is responsible for all of the harm he did to the entirety of Halyna Hutchins’ family..." *

Does Petition filed in court name AB as the ONLY defendant?
Nope. Names 20-plus additional def’ts, including other individuals in "Rust" cast & crew, & corps, LLC’s, DLLC's, other entities, and Doe Defendants 1 - 100.
Petition alleges as many 120 people or entities shoulder some blame too.

For fellow sentence-parsers or hairsplitters out there ---Okay, conceding, Allred actually said AB is responsible for the harm HE caused, NOT saying it was ALL his fault. Per petition, 20-plus others were involved, and possibly as many as 100 Doe Defendants.
imo

Last edited:
I am totally gobsmacked that they're going ahead with this film.
Holy crapola.
I get it that movies are AB's livelihood.

Maybe make a completely different movie ?

I know it sounds weird, but it makes (financial) sense to the people making this film. There are three major LLC's (including one owned by Alec Baldwin) who each contributed $2M to the production. The production took out only liability insurance (with a $2M limit per incident) but did not take out Completion Insurance to pay back the investors if anything went wrong and the film wasn't completed. The investors have legal standing to sue (whom, though?) for their money back.

Meantime, Matt Hutchins (husband of Halyna) settled his civil case out of court, with Alec accepting liability and settling for an undisclosed amount but also giving Hutchins Exec Producer credit and, presumably, a cut of the profits (as well as access to the all the filming done, in order to make a documentary about Halyna - Alec has started his own documentary in the meantime).

AB will not get another chance to make an independent film. This vanity project was supposed to be of small release, but I think he was hoping to show it at Sundance (and the Hamptons Film Festival, maybe even Cannes). He wanted it as a small capstone to his otherwise 10 year run of lackluster voice over parts and small roles in bigger films.

This is based on articles in Variety and Forbes, as well as some of the production notes shown on a youtube channel that I'd have to ask permission to post (it included the script). The days of filming and who was in the church, etc., are from the police documents I linked to in my last post.

IMO.

I didn't know anyone died on the set of Ben-Hur ?
:eek:

It was not the one with Charlton Heston. It was an attempt to put this novel on film in 1925.

Top Gun: Stunt pilot/cameraman died during a deliberately planned nosedive into the Pacific, from which he failed to pull out.

Rambo: Special Effects worker died when a planned explosion went off early or was improperly set up.

IMO.
The old rumor about Ben Hur was that the guy playing Heston died and they still used the footage in the film. I think that is totally debunked. But yes the other film had a guy that died.
The Top Gun fatality is interesting as well in that it occurred in some sort of prep for the "flap spin" scene where Goose is killed. The pilot failed to recover from the stunt and crashed into the ocean and died. Very sad.

None of the materials filed with the court (including Dave's) stating that he said that. Several people say they heard him say nothing (but cannot swear that they heard everything) others say they witnessed him bring the gun in, but do not mention him saying anything (loud or soft) about a cold gun.
So what did Dave Hall say? My understanding is that when a gun is handed off on set there always has to be some kind of announcement: "cold gun", "hot gun", "quarter load", whatever. If DH just handed AB the gun without any communication then AB should have objected, but it certainly doesn't absolve DH of responsibility. In fact, quite the opposite, it makes him more culpable in my opinion.

Ooh, this bit is interesting. I don't know that I've seen this discussed before. It's from page 114 of the filing. Interview of Mamie Mitchell, script supervisor.

Image.png

The old rumor about Ben Hur was that the guy playing Heston died and they still used the footage in the film. I think that is totally debunked. But yes the other film had a guy that died.
The Top Gun fatality is interesting as well in that it occurred in some sort of prep for the "flap spin" scene where Goose is killed. The pilot failed to recover from the stunt and crashed into the ocean and died. Very sad.

You're going on a rumor that Charlton Heston didn't really play his role? So the OP is a bit misleading, right? If this is about a rumor about a debunked incident, that should have been said up front, Imo.

You say it's debunked - so I assume you know it's not true. I do trust your view, btw - but it would be great if people didn't repeat debunked information without researching it.

There are many more film deaths, which is why (usually) management of films knows to have insurance AND to be strict about industry safety standards.

The incident in New Mexico is taking place in a different era than some of these mentioned films. Federal and State authorities have new views on workplace negligence.

IMO.
Twilight Zone: The Movie was released after multiple deaths when a helicopter crashed. Killed a couple children and an actor.

Yep. And there were legal activities thereafter, but many people felt it wasn't enough (I am one of them). I drive past the death site frequently and was standing at the side of the road for some of the filming (before the accident). I knew one of the stunt pilots. It was very, very sad and, as usual with movies, very hard to determine who was actually responsible.

I still blame the director (as much as I admire his directing) and I think his remorse and self-blame really helped his court case. If that movie set had been a few miles west, I think the outcome of it would have been different.

None of the materials filed with the court (including Dave's) stating that he said that. Several people say they heard him say nothing (but cannot swear that they heard everything) others say they witnessed him bring the gun in, but do not mention him saying anything (loud or soft) about a cold gun. Alec was supposed to have the gun in its holster for the upcoming scene. The gaffer's statement says that it appeared to him that Alec decided to practice a little while Joel and Halyna were conferring about camera angles and the re-staging (without the mini-crane camera that Halyna had sent back to the rental place) of the final scenes in the church.

The only person who says it was announced is Alec Baldwin. It would be interesting to know what Dave says he said (in his initial statement, he says he doesn't remember saying any thing like that). The 550 page document is available if anyone wants to fact check this.

Here it is online:

Autopsy is redacted, etc. Initial statements to police (after Miranda rights were read) are included.

IMO.
From my post #645:

It's my guess that the news reporter latched on the phrase "As the Assistant Director (Dave Halls) handed the gun to the Actor Alec Baldwin, (Dave Halls) yelled, “Cold Gun,” indicating the prop-gun did not have any live rounds" in that mass of material. The phrase is actually in an affidavit for a search warrant, not a transcript of an interview, and would probably be tossed as hearsay in court. Page 282 if you want to look it up.

So it was in the materials filed with the court: a detective put something in an affidavit for a search warrant that he did not know first hand. Not the first time that has happened. Then it gets picked up and bounces around the media/social media echo chamber as if it was somebody's testimony.

BTW, there are inexpensive tools that will scan that document set and use optical character recognition to make the pdfs searchable. Saves a lot of time.

From my post #645:
It's my guess that the news reporter latched on the phrase "As the Assistant Director (Dave Halls) handed the gun to the Actor Alec Baldwin, (Dave Halls) yelled, “Cold Gun,” indicating the prop-gun did not have any live rounds" in that mass of material. The phrase is actually in an affidavit for a search warrant, not a transcript of an interview, and would probably be tossed as hearsay in court. Page 282 if you want to look it up.
So it was in the materials filed with the court: a detective put something in an affidavit for a search warrant that he did not know first hand. Not the first time that has happened. Then it gets picked up and bounces around the media/social media echo chamber as if it was somebody's testimony.

BTW, there are inexpensive tools that will scan that document set and use optical character recognition to make the pdfs searchable. Saves a lot of time.
@DI_Isokawa Thanks for finding & posting this --- and even better for having sussed it out earlier.:)

Your reference to tools making the pdf's searchable, can you share more on this thread? Or elsewhere on W/S? TIA

@DI_Isokawa Thanks for finding & posting this --- and even better for having sussed it out earlier.:)

Your reference to tools making the pdf's searchable, can you share more on this thread? Or elsewhere on W/S? TIA
I use PDFScanner on an Apple. $15. There are equivalents for Windows but I am not familiar with them.

IMO.

I recall in a special short on Turner Classic Movies there were also some deaths during silent movies. One had a scene of a massive flood.

Here it is: Noah's Ark

'
HEADLINE: Rust' medic gets $1.15 million in partial settlement of civil case

"Phaedra Haywood, The Santa Fe New Mexican
"May 8—A medic working on the Rust film set south of Santa Fe during the production's fatal shooting in 2021 received a $1.15 million settlement after telling a judge Monday she was so traumatized by the incident she can only work part time, attends weekly counseling and is struggling as a wife and mother.

"Cherlyn Schaefer of Valencia County "fought desperately" but unsuccessfully to save the life of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, she said in a civil complaint filed last year in connection with the shooting, adding she suffered "tremendous shock, trauma and severe [emotional] distress," ..."
"Zachry was one of nine defendants the medic had accused of negligence in the incident,.."

Zachary was "Rust" prop master. Some other def''s were not part of this settlement. Alec B. was not a def't in this suit.

'
HEADLINE: Rust' medic gets $1.15 million in partial settlement of civil case

"Phaedra Haywood, The Santa Fe New Mexican
"May 8—A medic working on the Rust film set south of Santa Fe during the production's fatal shooting in 2021 received a $1.15 million settlement after telling a judge Monday she was so traumatized by the incident she can only work part time, attends weekly counseling and is struggling as a wife and mother.

"Cherlyn Schaefer of Valencia County "fought desperately" but unsuccessfully to save the life of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, she said in a civil complaint filed last year in connection with the shooting, adding she suffered "tremendous shock, trauma and severe [emotional] distress," ..."
"Zachry was one of nine defendants the medic had accused of negligence in the incident,.."

Zachary was "Rust" prop master. Some other def''s were not part of this settlement. Alec B. was not a def't in this suit.

Interesting details in this lawsuit

Schaefer's suit said Zachry and film set armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed failed to ensure there were no live rounds in Baldwin's weapon and at one point "mixed rounds of ammunition from different boxes together and transported the mixed ammunition loose in fanny packs."

The prosecutor doesn't appear to have investigated many of those who might have been responsible for these problems. They haven't tried to determine where the loaded/live shells originated. Did they question Seth Kenney, the owner of the local prop company who provided the guns and allegedly blank ammo? Did they question Sarah Zachry? There were a lot of people in the chain of custody of the props and ammo. Why haven't they been able to reconstruct how this accident happened?

From my post #645:

Gotcha. All I remembered is that there was no evidence presented that Dave said this. We may never know, at this point.

Thanks for finding the details and if I had the time, I'd learn more about using that inexpensive tool you mention. Document management is something about which I've gradually gotten very lazy - but you're right, it would have saved me time (I already have the packet in pdf form, didn't think of searching it).

I just remembered that in the actual statements of the people inside the church, it's not mentioned.

IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member